Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Something's Wrong series

New Perspectives

by Anaknisatanas 0 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Blaise Zabini,Draco,Harry,Snape - Published: 2008-06-14 - Updated: 2008-06-14 - 3308 words

0Unrated


Draco was groggy the next morning. He wasn't used to staying up late so many nights in a row. He supposed eventually he would become accustomed to the grueling pace that was set before him. He sat down next to Crabbe and Blaise at the Slytherin table in the Great Hall.



"Draco, are you feeling all right today?" Pansy asked showing some concern. "You look pale this morning."



"I'm fine,"Draco ground out not liking the concern she was showing because it drew attention to him.



He began eating his food in proper sized bites, years of etiquette training automatic now. He studied the Gryffindor Table, gray eyes sweeping up the length of it, easily spotting his 'enemies' grouped together. He noticed that although Granger and Weasley were concerned about their friend they did not crowd him. The two Gryffindors merely observed and chatted about casual things from what he could read of their lips.



The snowy white owl belonging to the Golden Boy of Gryffindor swooped into the Great Hall and headed straight for Potter dropping several notes and letters into his outstretched hands. Harry tucked them all away in a book not daring to read any of them in the Great Hall which was smart of him.



"Draco," Blaise spoke quietly on his right.



"Yes Blaise," Draco said without turning to the Slytherin. "What is it?"



"I was wondering if you could help me with Arithmancytonight," Blaise said casually. "I'm not sure that I understood yesterday's lesson and the homework is due tomorrow and I haven't been able to figure any of it out yet."



"Very well Blaise," Draco spared him a look. "I can help you after dinner tonight."



Blaise nodded. He cupped his hand around a note and Draco read the sentence and turned back to his food feeling annoyed. Blaise did not have to worry about him being too obvious or slipping up that he did not hate Potter and his little friends. Draco knew that he was a good actor, all Malfoy's were to an extent, but Draco considered himself to be better than even his father. He could successfully lie to the man already so he should have no problem in deceiving his fellow Slytherins.



He had sent his first message to Harry that morning and he wondered what his response would be. He felt a bit nervous, a feeling in the pit of his stomach that he only ever felt on the Quidditchpitch anymore. After finishing his meal he glared slightly at Crabbe and Goyle before leaving the Slytherin Table and heading to the dorms for his books for his morning classes. Draco was looking forward to Potions first thing. It would prove to be a better chance to observe subtle changes if there were any.



Right away he could tell Potions was going to be a slice of hell, Draco was stuck sitting next to Pansy Parkinson. While he could normally tolerate her today was not a day he wished to hear filled with her insipid giggles and comments. He drew in a breath and took the place closest by the aisle. He figured that it was the least he could do, if nothing it would keep some of the Gryffindors from having their attempts at Potions making spoiled by Slytherins close by him.



Blaise strolled in and passed by Draco's spot without aglance. Harry spared him a glare but only for posterities' sake before he sat directly across the aisle from Draco. Again this was not out of the ordinary, but it might be noticed by some of the more observant Slytherins.



Snape set them to work and Draco concentrated for the moment on setting up the ingredients and beginning the Potion. Pansy eyed the Gryffindor side of the room with interest, a cunning expression on her face. Draco shot her awarning look and the girl only lowered her eyes but still shot glances across the room. Pansy was just getting ready to make an excuse to go to the storeroom when Professor Snape swept up to their table.



"Excellent work as always Draco," The Potions Master said and Draco merely gave him aknowing smirk.



The Professor moved on to Pansy's cauldron, "And what do we have here? Did you even pay attention to what Potion we're brewing today Miss Parkinson? This is entirely the wrong shade."



"She's been too busy making eyes at Potter, sir," Draco smirked.



As predicted the Gryffindors and Slytherins snickered. Pansy shot him a brief glare but he shrugged it off. She usually got over such insults quickly so long as someone else was made fun of as well.



"You might want to check on Boulstrude too, sir," Draco sneered at the piggish looking Slytherin who sat in the desk in front of them. "She's been making cow eyes over there as well; I wouldn't be surprised if the Gryffindors have slipped some of the girls a love Potion of some kind."



Millicent paled slightly and Draco realized that she did indeed fancy someone over on the Gryffindor side of the room, or she had at least been looking at someone which to a Slytherin was just as bad.



Snape glided across the aisle and peered into Harry's cauldron, "Well, well. There are miracles after all since you managed to get this potion correct Potter."



"All it took was a bit of luck sir," Harry said.



"If you had said skill I would have to have taken points Potter," Snape glared. "As it is, class dismissed."



The students began to file out through the door but Draco and Harry hung back. The students hurried off quickly, most eager to be far away from Snape's clutches.



"Meet me by the old Charms classroom after your last class," Harry whispered into Draco's ear.



"Bite me Potter," Draco sneered.



"Only if Ican punch you first Malfoy," Harry shot back going the opposite direction from Malfoy and the Slytherins.



At the end of the day Draco was hanging around the unused Charms classroom. Harry seemed to appear out of thin air and Draco barely kept in his exclamation of surprise. Firmly he reminded himself that Harry had an Invisibility Cloak.



"Follow me," Harry said quickly.



He began leading Draco into the less used parts of the school until they stood outside aclassroom that had not been used for a good fifty years. Harry muttered something in Parseltongue before opening the door and ushering Draco inside. He closed the door quickly behind both of them. Draco felt the pressure from several strong and heavy wards that he had not felt from outside of the classroom.



"Hermione says that you've gotten good at casting the Egyptian and Greek curses," Harry informed him. "I want to see just how good you really are."



Draco did not bother to preen under the brief compliment. He knew that he would only pass this test if he held his own against Harry or if Harry said he did. Draco was under no illusions of his own prowess.



"Will the wards on this room affect our casts?" Draco asked. "They feel quite heavy."



"No," Harry shook his head. "The wards won't interfere. The castle keeps them hidden from the staff and students here. I'm deeply connected to Hogwarts itself, more so than the Headmaster. No one will know about the things we do in this room or any of the other practice rooms. I cast the wards strong enough to be sure that if we miscast it won't draw attention or damage the room."



Both stood and squared off in the middle of the room. Suddenly all light vanished from the room. Reflexively Draco cast a ward to warn him from any attack coming from behind. Carefully he began moving as quietly as he could around the room. The light flickered and then came back. Curses began to fly. Draco dodged and flung them quickly in Harry's direction. In the end both had been grazed by one hex each until a curse hit Draco full in the chest and knocked him against the wall.



Harry came over and healed Draco efficiently before healing himself and then sat against the wall grinning at the blond Slytherin. The Gryffindor seemed pleased with their brief duel.



"Hermione was right, you've done well," Harry said with a nod. "You need to work on your shields and dodges a bit though. You'll go to Snape next to learn the Asian curses. He's a stickler for making sure that your shields are top notch. Yours should be improved after time with him."



"Harry can I ask you a question?" Draco asked breathing heavily as he rested on the stone floor.



Harry nodded.



"How are you really sleeping these days?" Draco looked closely at the Order Leader. "We're aware of the glamoursyou cast over yourself daily, but how bad is it really?"



"I'll tell you but this stays between just the two of us," Harry said seriously hugging his knees. "I don't want Hermione or Snape or anyone being told about this. Agreed?"



"Agreed,"Draco echoed.



"I get maybe one or two hours of actual sleep a night interspersed with nightmares and Voldemort pissing me off," Harry laughed humorlessly. "But I draw energy from the Earth so it doesn't really matter how much or how little sleep I get. It doesn't really affect me which pisses Voldemort off. I've noticed all we've seemed to be doing lately is just pissing each other off. There doesn't seem to be much of a point to it anymore but it's almost become a ritual." Harry shrugged. "How are things in the snake pit?"



"Well enough," Draco answered. "Nott, Davies and Boulstrude will present the biggest problem for recruitment. Parkinson I believe has acrush on Seamus, which I plan to use to the best of my abilities. And of course Goyle and Crabbe will do what Itell them when the time comes for us to be more open."



Harry shook his head, "What is the deal with those two? They seem so ignorant in class and out of it most of the time. And they hardly say a word."



"Crabbe and Goyle are trained in the Dark Arts but I've groomed them both since before Hogwarts to view me as their leader, even above the Dark Lord and their own parents," Draco drawled. "Of course Ihave to keep reinforcing that training but it's worked for me all these years so it's not too much trouble."



Harry laughed,"So long as there will be two more when the time comes I couldn't care less what you have to do. Any help you need just ask."



Draco nodded. Harry stood and began brushing off his robes, Draco followed suit. Draco's eyes watered briefly from the amount of dust they kicked up.



The Slytherin studied the Gryffindor. Harry did not look that bad considering the amount of sleep he had been getting. Draco was not worried but he did worry that it might affect Harry's performance. So long as things were fine he felt no need to voice his worry.



"Eventually it would be best if we played things off as a friendship," Draco's mind switched gears. "That would blow the Slytherin's minds and would make it a bit easier to sway afew of them our way."



"Seems like a solid idea," Harry slipped out of the classroom followed by Draco.



Quickly the Order Leader locked the classroom muttering in Parseltongue.



"There," He said satisfied. "Now no one will know about my wards. We are friends now you know."



"I know,"Draco could feel the truth of the statement. "I'll see you around Harry."



"See you,"Harry's voice echoed through the hall.



Draco and Harry walked briskly through the halls. There were many things both had to consider. Halloween was approaching and they knew that there was tension inside the Slytherin House. Lord Voldemort was already attempting to get promises of future recruits, even from Draco's own year. The time to defy the Dark Lord openly would have to come soon. Draco hoped that he and Blaisewould be able to gather a solid group of Slytherins when the time came.



When the two reached the more frequently traveled halls of the castle they parted company. Harry headed back to Gryffindor and Draco returned to the dungeons. Ginny pulled Harry over to the alcove where Ron and Hermione sat as soon as he entered the Common Room.



"We were about to send Ginny out to look for you," Hermione looked up from a Middle Eastern text Bill had sent her. "None of us expected your meeting to run quite so long."



"I held an impromptu test," Harry sat down across the chessboard from Ron. "You were right Herm. He's improved and did well. Our spy will teach him next." Harry moved apiece to counter Ron's opening move. "How's your work with the Twins going, Ginny?"



"Good,"Ginny replied as she pulled out her sketch pad. "They said that they almost have the Doubles Mints figured out. That would make a good novelty item, a candy that projects an image of oneself for a minute that mirrors the originals actions."



"Only a minute?" Hermione turned a page.



"For selling," Ginny began as she selected a pencil. "They weren't sure what the longest time they can achieve for us will be yet."



Harry nodded as he moved another piece. Deftly Ron countered him. Talk ceased as Harry and Ron focused much of their attention on the game while Ginny continued working on her sketch of Ron at a chess board. It seemed all too soon that Ron was declaring another checkmate while Harry just shook his head and grinned ruefully.



"You're adecent player Harry," Ron said grinning. "But you still suck."



"That's why I leave the tactics up to you," Harry admitted. "Tomorrow I think we should work on the brooms. You too, Hermione."



"I don't like flying," Hermione declared stubbornly turning another page. "I'd rather start the book Viktor sent me as a late birthday present."



"Not this time," Harry's tone was firm. "I want to run you through evasive maneuvering so you can at least escape danger on a broom if you have to. There are places that have anti-Apparation wards. You can sling and dodge curses on the ground, I want you to be able to hold your own in the air for a time."



Hermione bit her bottom lip but nodded her acceptance. Harry hoped he could teach her a few useful moves on a broom. Hermione was not a bad flyer but she was hesitant in the air and that bothered Harry. During a fight being hesitant sometimes meant you lost and they were fighting with their lives.



Harry sat back thinking of other things, he planned to train up his current Order members before inducting any new members. He felt tired and alone as the evening continued to drag on even though he was surrounded by his best friends. He needed his anchor, someone who he allowed to see his doubts surface. There was currently only one person who knew just how deep his darkness could run, one person he felt safe enough to let not only his insecurities show but also the most sinister parts of himself.



"I'm going to bed," Harry stood up abruptly.



Hermione and the two Weasley's looked up at him. Hermione gave him an understanding smile as he went up to the dorms to grab his Invisibility Cloak. He put it on and came back down and tapped Ron on the shoulder.



"Who's up for a trip to the kitchens?" The Keeper of the Gryffindor Quidditchteam asked brightly.



"I'll go,"Ginny offered. "I'll bring you back something Hermione."



Hermione nodded absently already burying her nose back in the book. Harry slipped out of the Portrait hole after Ron and Ginny. He took the most direct route to the dungeons and banged on the Potions Master's door. The heavy wooden door swung wide open and Harry slipped in past Severus Snape. The door banged shut. Harry tugged off his cloak, clawing at the fabric.



"I knew it would be you," Severus moved to his liquor cabinet and poured a shot of something which he thrust out to Harry. "You're the only student who dares to bang on my door instead of knocking politely. You have no manners Potter. I suppose you're going to blackmail me for serving a minor alcohol?"



"We're long past that Severus," Harry smiled and then downed the drink. "You sure can hold a grudge though."



"And what musings brought you down here tonight?" Severus asked moving to his seat by the fire.



Harry took his customary seat that allowed him to both look at Severus but also stare into the fire. For several minutes he was silent, as though he did not quite want to voice the thoughts that had dragged him down to the dungeons that evening.



"Sometimes I wonder if I should just oppose Voldemort as another Dark Lord," Harry set the empty glass down on the black oak table. "They all go on about the Golden Boy crap or the Chosen One."



"You could be a Dark Lord," Severus said bluntly. "And hopefully you'll choose something more original than merely rearranging the letters in your name when you give yourself the all impressive title."



Harry smirked, "I'll be sure to do that Severus."



"You're not seriously considering such a thing," Snape glared. "There are times I question your mental stability Potter, until I remember that very little of what you show is who you are. How long will you be staying this time?"



"The week, maybe longer," He shrugged.



"The bed Itransfigured from last time is still there for you to use," Severus levitated the empty glass from the table back to the liquor cabinet. "I have some marking to finish up but you should get some sleep. Take the Dreamless Sleep for tonight, it's a half dose. I for one want a few decent hours of sleep before you start thrashing about and screaming."



"I'll consider taking it," Harry mumbled walking toward the bedroom.



In the end he took the potion. He did not want to have nightmares and conversations with Voldemort any more than he wanted to keep Severus awake with his mutterings, thrashings and screaming. Did he not deserve to be normal and sleep for a few hours?



He woke up to Severus shaking him. Harry sat up blinking until the Potions Master handed him his glasses.



"What time is it?" Harry slipped on his glasses.



"Early enough," Severus drawled. "It's five in the morning if you must know. You'd best return to the Tower for your uniform and books."



"Thanks Sev," Harry slipped out of his bed ignoring Severus rolling his eyes. "How's the eye Potion coming?"



"One more week," Severus answered promptly. "Are you still considering becoming a Dark Lord?"



Harry sighed,"There are times it would be so easy. Then I think of people like Cedric and how many of them I would have to kill for no reason. That's not me."



"But you're afraid that one day that might change," Severus said knowingly. "You fear becoming worse than Voldemort. I won't lie to you and coddle you Harry. You have the ability to be far more terrifying than Voldemort, but you also hold a bigger love and respect for life than he ever did. While you might consider becoming a Dark Lord, when you think about it in-depth Potter you wouldn't do it."



As Harry walked silently back to Gryffindor Tower in the early morning he could not help but think about what some of the other Order members would say about Harry Potter as a Dark Lord. He fervently hoped he would never have to know.

Sign up to rate and review this story