Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Return of the Boy Who Lived

Chapter 10

by red_jacobson

The Aurors visit Hogwarts, Harry asks a question, the answers surprise everybody!

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres:  - Published: 2008-06-16 - Updated: 2008-06-17 - 1919 words - Complete

?Blocked
The Return of the Boy Who Lived 10/?




Rating: Teen/PG-13




Summary: After the final battle, the Boy Who Lived is transported back into his 11 year old body, just prior to receiving his Hogwarts Letter. Sound like every re-do fic you've ever read? It is, except for one minor detail; the Boy Who Lived is named Neville Longbottom!




Disclaimer: Is this really necessary? I don't own any of the Harry Potter Characters or settings.




Pairings: Neville/? eventually, Harry/Hermione.




Time Passes November – December




After the eventful meeting in the Headmaster's office, Harry, Neville and Hermione managed to rejoin their house in time for the evening meal. Although Ron and several other members of the house tried to talk to them about what had happened the night before, the three of them just kept quiet. Finally, Harry got fed up with Ron and Seamus' questions and said;




“Look! We saw two people DIE last night! What makes you think any of us really want to talk about it? That means we have remember it even more than we already do, I don't need more nightmares, thank you! Yeah, I know that Professor Snape was a prat to us in class, but, the man jumped in front of a curse for us last night, we would all be dead if it weren't for him! Now just leave us alone about it, alright?”




Ron blinked a few times as he listened to what Harry was saying, and he began to pale,“Oh, bloody hell! I'm sorry, mate! I didn't even think about it that way! I'll leave you alone about it.”




Harry just nodded in thanks, and turned to look at Hermione and Neville who were both smiling at him. Hermione leaned over and said, “I'm glad you said something, you were a lot nicer than I would have been.” Neville nodded and said “Me too!”




The rest of the meal went on in peace, but before they left the Great Hall, the doors burst open and a distinguished looking Grey haired woman in black robes walked in, flanked by several other men and women dressed the same way. Harry tried not to stare, but his attention was taken by one of the men in the group, he was older than most of the others, but, what caught Harry's attention was the way the man walked, he only had one leg, the other was a wooden peg! Jerking his eyes up, he also saw that one of the man's eyes was replaced by a patch, that had a blue eye on the outside of it. All in all, a very frightening sight. Harry glanced over at Neville, and heard him mutter something that sounded like “mad eye!”




Professor Dumbledore rose to greet the visitors, “Madame Bones, thank you for coming, would you like to join us for the pudding, or would you prefer to adjourn to my office?”




“While pudding sounds lovely, Albus, I believe we should take care of business first.” Madame Bones said, with a slight smile.




“Very well, if you would follow me to my office?” Dumbledore said, as he moved towards the doorway in the back of the hall.

After the group left, Hermione turned to Neville and asked, “Do you think they are going to want to talk to us?”




“Probably. Let's take our time with the pudding, so they can find us if they need to.” Neville said. The others nodded in agreement.




That turned out to be a good idea, because they were just finishing when Professor McGonagall came down and escorted them to the Headmaster's office.




The three of them were interviewed individually while their Head of House were in the room, and then they spoke to Madame Bones. The story that the three of them told was basically the truth, that Harry tripped over Professor Quirrell and he attacked them. The Aurors, even though they didn't show it, were impressed that the three of them had managed to do as well as they did against Quirrell.




After the interviews, Madame Bones talked to the three of them while the Headmaster was in the office, and she made sure they understood that they weren't in any sort of trouble because of what happened, and then started talking to them, just trying to put them at ease. At one point during the meeting, Amelia made a comment about how she had known both Harry and Neville's parents, and they had been exceptional Aurors. Seeing his chance, Harry spoke up. “Excuse me Ma'am, but can I ask you a question about my parents?”




“Certainly, Mister Potter, go right ahead?”




“Well, I was trying to find out more about what happened, that night, and, every book I've found says that they were betrayed by Sirius Black, who was my Father's partner in the Aurors. Is that true?”




“Yes, Mister Potter, Sirius Black was sent to the Wizarding Prison Azkaban for betraying your parents to You-Know-Who, as well as killing another friend of your parents, a young man named Peter Pettigrew as well as several innocent bystanders.”




Harry nodded,“That's what I've read, but, something I don't understand, I've never seen anything about Black's trial, I went looking because Iwanted to know how somebody who was my Father's best friend could betray him, and my mother like that! Do you have any records of why he did it? I'd really like to know.”




To put it mildly, Amelia was flabbergasted! She had been a mid level Auror at the time the Potter's were killed, and hadn't paid all that much attention to the case at the time, being more involved with the ultimately fruitless quest to imprison Lucius Malfoy, but, she did remember hearing some grumblings about how Crouch was pushing things through the Wizengamot at the time. Of course, it was right around that time that Crouch's son and the LeStranges were captured, and Barty faded out fairly quickly. Realizing that Harry was still waiting for an answer, she cleared her throat and said; “I'm sorry Mister Potter, but I really don't know the answer to your question, but, Ipromise you this, I will find out for you and let you know what Ilearn, will that be okay?”




“Thank you, Ma'am; but you really don't have to go to that much trouble, but, Iwas curious about what happened.” Harry said, politely.




“It would be no trouble at all, Mister Potter. I have to admit, you've made me curious as well.” Turning to Dumbledore, she said,“Headmaster, will you be in your offices at the Wizengamot this week? I believe I may need your assistance in accessing the records from that time.”




“Certainly Director, I'll be there Monday from right after breakfast on, shall we say 9:30 Monday morning?”




“That would work very well for me, Headmaster, I'll see you then.”




Turning back to the students, Amelia thanked them for their time, and repeated to Harry that she would get back to him as soon as she found anything out.




The next week started off quietly, as the three of them enjoyed a free period where they would normally have had Defense Against the Dark Arts, as well as Potions, so, at Hermione's prompting, they finished up their homework for the other classes, and then, went out to the Quidditch Pitch, so that they could practice their flying.







It was Thursday before anything exciting happened, and, the first thing that was different was that there were two new Professors at the Staff Table for Breakfast. The Headmaster introduced Nicholas Flamel as the new Potions Professor, which caused the Ravenclaw table to explode in excitement, and Hermione to write his name down to find out more about him. Then Albus introduced Remus Lupin as the new Defense Instructor. The applause for Lupin was polite, because nobody really knew anything about him.




After breakfast, Harry was asked to come to Dumbledore's office, and was told he could bring his friends if he wanted to. Harry shrugged, and Hermione and Neville followed him up the stairs. “Do ever get the feeling we've done before, Nev?” Harry smirked, and the others just chuckled.




When they got into the office, Dumbledore was sitting and talking to Professor Lupin. Dumbledore looked up and smiled, “Ah, excellent! Mister Potter, if you recall, when we spoke on Saturday, I mentioned that Iwas attempting to bring in a friend of your parents as an instructor, well, I'm pleased to let you know that I was successful, Professor Lupin was very close friends with your parents.”




Lupin looked up at Harry, and a very sad smile crossed his face; “You look just like your Father, Harry!” Dumbledore stood up; and said,“I'll let you get acquainted with Harry, Remus, and I'm sure he will be pleased to introduce you to his friends, I suggested that Harry could bring them with him, simply because you never see one of them without the others. And, Harry, I received an owl from Madam Bones earlier today, she told me to keep an eye on the Daily Prophet for the next couple of days, and you should find some very interesting developments.” The twinkling of his eyes was almost blinding.




The four left in the office spent the couple of hours talking, well, actually, Harry and Remus did the talking, while Neville and Hermione sat and listened. By the end of the time, Harry felt like he knew a lot more about his parents than he did before.




It was the next morning at breakfast when everything went crazy.




The Great Hall was filled with owls the next morning, as every person in the school received a special edition of the Daily Prophet. The headline across the top half of the paper was visible from 30 yards away it was printed in such large type.

CORRUPTION AT THE MINISTRY

Fudge, Crouch, Malfoy Arrested

Fudge tries to escape, captured in Canadian Snowbank

Sirius Black Innocent!!!!!!!!!!




The rest of the article detailed how an investigation by DMLE Director Bones uncovered a vast list of crimes committed by Minister Fudge, as well as Barty Crouch and Lucius Malfoy, as well as several other Ministry employees. They also determined that Sirius Black was one of several people imprisoned without a trial, all of whom were given trials and their testimony was taken under Veritaserum. All but one of the prisoners were determined to be innocent of the crimes they were arrested for.




The article went on to say that all of the people tried after the fall of You-Know-Who, would be retried under Veritaserum; both those convicted, and those acquitted. One other item was mentioned, that Peter Pettigrew, who had been believed murdered by Sirius Black, was in fact, believed to be alive, and the true betrayer of the Potter's. Because of this, Pettigrew's Order of Merlin was revoked.







This was merely the beginning of the shakeup at the ministry. By the time the trials were completed, several convicted Death Eaters, including Lucius Malfoy, Walden McNair, Goyle, Crabbe, Avery, Barty Crouch Jr, who was found in his family home, Rookwood as well as the LeStrange Brothers and Bellatrix LeStrange, were all executed by being put through the Death Veil.




Strangely enough, Albus Dumbledore made it a point to examine all items taken from the homes and vaults of the executed Death Eaters, and, soon, apocket diary, a cup, a ring, and a locket, as well as a diadem, found themselves in a secured vault in Dumbledore's office.




End Chapter 10
Sign up to rate and review this story