Categories > Original > Horror

Camp Phoenix

by princessofthedark

Jake cant let go of the past, of what happened at his last summer at Camp Phoenix. He wants to know the answer to many questions, but will he find the right one? (im working on this, let me know yo...

Category: Horror - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Drama,Horror,Romance - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2008-07-20 - Updated: 2008-07-21 - 1564 words

?Blocked
“In the darkness of the forest they trudged along. Each step they took they knew they were heading into danger. But neither of them cared as long as they had each other. He was in front of her. He made the path secure and safe for her. He removed hanging branches so they wouldn’t come in contact with her. She gripped his hand so firmly that her knuckles were turning white. She was scared, but she giggled to hide her fear. Her grip travelled through his body like an electric shock. He knew she was scared. He could feel it every time her grip got tighter. An owl hotted and she strained his hand. ‘We can go back if you want’ he said to her.
‘No, I want to keep on going’. He looked at her, but couldn’t see her face. He gently squeezed her hand and they continued walking on. As they walked past rattling bushes and more animal calls, he noticed that she wasn’t gripping his hand as hard. He stopped once again. She slammed into his body.
‘Lets just stop here’.
‘ No, I want to go to the cottage. It cant be much farther’. He didn’t want to go any further. He no longer felt safe knowing that she did. This time she took the lead. She found his hand and pulled him to continue on. She felt as though she was pulling a stubborn mule. He has a feeling that this wasn’t such a good idea anymore, but she insisted on going on. The only reason why he kept going because he know he would be heavily rewarded when they did get to the cottage.

“Suddenly a wind had picked up and the trees around them swayed from side to side. He could see nothing anymore. He felt the path become narrower and narrower because the bushes were rubbing up against his bare legs. The leaves made his legs itch but every time he tried to scratch them she became impatient. He endured the pain and kept on walking. ‘We are here’ she remarked. She went up to the rusted door of the cottage.

“Cobwebs hung in the top two corners of the doorway. The outside walls were black and in some areas covered in moss. She raised her hand up to twist the door handle. As the tips of her fingers touched the handle a big gust of wind ripped through. The wing was so strong that it pushed her back into his arms. He nearly fell to the ground from the impact. She stayed in his arms for a few seconds. She was in shock of what had happened. She composed herself and attempted to open the door again. But just like before, her fingertips just touched the handle and the loudest crack of thunder broke from the night sky. She jumped back and they both looked up into the sky. Unlike before, there were now millions of stars in the sky and not one cloud. ‘Let me do it’, he insisted.

“He marched up to the door and grabbed the handle. They both looked around waiting for the elements to react. Nothing happened. No wind. No thunder. Nothing. He looked back at her, she pushed him to go in. He twisted the handle and pushed it open. The door creaked, it hadn’t been open in years. He walked into darkness. A few seconds later she followed him. She to was blinded by the darkness. She walked around with her hands outstretched. She tripped over the timber on the floor. ‘Jake’ she said. There was no reply. ‘Jake this isn’t funny’. She stood still in one spot. ‘Jake where are you?’. She was surrounded by silent darkness. ‘Jake’ she called for him again. She then heard what sounded like the tearing of silk, followed by a thud on the timber floor. A struggle for a gasp of air echoed throughout the cottage. Slowly she back away towards the door. She turned around to face the exit when she felt a hand clamp onto her shoulder. She shuddered ‘Where where you’? She got here own hand and placed it onto the one on her shoulder. She felt a warm liquid covering the hand. It was not Jakes. She shrieked and ran out the door. She kept running, never looking back. She ran down the path leading away from the cottage. The trees were no longer swaying and the stars were hidden. She ran and ran. She didn’t look back she just kept on running.

“She eventually got to the entrance of the forest. She stopped. She felt safe. She crouched down to catch her breath. She didn’t know she would lose it again so quickly, as she let out a high pitched scream. There in front of her was Jake. Lying in the dirt with a cut through his neck. She got off the ground and ran back to the camp with tears running down here face.

“The point of me telling you this; don’t ever wander into the forest. Don’t attempt to go and find the cottage. The forest is and out of bounds area for this camp. You can find Jakes grave at the entrance of the forest. It is there so it will always be a reminder of why no one should go into the forest. If you don’t believe me, dig up the grave and you will find his body. As for the girl. She does not want to be named. Well her parents don’t want her to be name released. She is in a mental institution in the far country. She still screams out Jakes name. Whenever it thunders or she hears wind roaring through, she has a fit. She is an unstable frame of mind.

“Well enjoy your stay at Camp Phoenix. We ensure that you will have a great summer, just don’t go into the forest’’.

Tom got up from his log around the campfire. The 60 children watched him leave with horror painted all over their faces. Tom walked back into the staff lounge. A ran down his face and he washed it away. He walked inside to make himself a hot chocolate. His girlfriend Jessica walked up to him. ‘ So how are the little campers? Scared out of their wits?’
‘I think one of them wet their pants, and a few girls cried.’
‘You just love telling them that story don’t you?’
‘I haven’t had one kid walk 10 feet near the forest since I begun telling it’.
‘I guess you have to make up bullshit for kids to understand.’
‘Are you saying that my story is bullshit?’
‘Yeah I am.’
‘Have you ever gone to the forest? Have you seen the grave? Have you visited the poor girl?’
‘Your so full of shit Tom.’
‘You think its fake? Do you research then tell me if its fake.’
‘Ges Tom, take it easy.’
‘I’m just saying that it is true. Its part of the history of this place. There is a cottage in that forest and nobody has ever gone it except for those two kids. I have been at the cottage, only in the day though, but never inside. I just stood out the front of it. Just looking at it give me an eerie feeling.’
‘Ok, ok I won’t question your story ever again…’
‘Its not my story it’s the camps history.’
‘… ok then the camp history. Lets just go home and watch some TV. I’m on duty in the morning at 7am.’

Tom had been a camp leader for 5 years now. He used to attend the camp as a young kid during the summer. He is 21 years old with dark brown eyes. He wore his black hair underneath his Atticus hat or if he was on duty he would spike it up. He was being serious about the story that he had just recited to the 60 new campers. Tom was actually at Camp Phoenix when Jake had died. Tom’s girlfriend is unaware of this. That’s why it bothers him when she doesn’t believe his story, and she picks on his story every single year.
Jake was a close mate of Tom’s while they were on camp. Tom was also the friend of the girl Jake was with, Alice.

On the second last day of every summer camp, Tom does not participate in any activities. Instead he visits Jakes grave and mourns the loss of his friends. The camp director understands this is a hard time for Tom, because on the second last day was when Jake died.
Some of the other camp leaders don’t understand why Tom comes back every year. Some of them think that’s its his way of coping with it, other just think his plain crazy. But without fail, Tom will always be there, first day of Summer, ready for another 8 weeks of camp.
When Tom is at college and not at camp, he tries to go down to the mental home to visit Alice. Although sometimes she doesn’t recognize him and there conversations have no beginning or and end, he still makes the effort to see her. Tom still feels sometimes that it all happened because of him.
Sign up to rate and review this story