Categories > Original > Mystery

Deadly Dreams

by princessofthedark

Meet Missy, a young woman whose life isnt as it seems...

Category: Mystery - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Horror - Published: 2008-09-02 - Updated: 2008-09-02 - 1885 words

?Blocked
Alone I waited. No one knows that I am here. If anyone ever knew why I was here they would make up excuses telling me why I shouldn't be here. The wind picks up and the swings start to creek. I pull my coat closer towards my body. Shouldn't be to much longer. I just want to get this over and done with. This has to be done. I need to do this. And then he comes. He always comes from behind me. Just like I wanted him to. As usual, he wraps his arms around me and rests his head on my left shoulder. A smile creeps onto my face as I feel his breath on my neck. It makes me feel as though there is a open fire crackling in front of us, but the wind picks up again and suddenly we both remember that we are out in the cold at 2am. I turn to face him and look into his eyes. They stare down at me and again the unmistakable warmth is ignited between us again. He brushes away the hair from my face and tilts his head down to meet my lips. When he is but a heartbeat away from my lips, I take a step back. He looks at me with a blank expression, not understanding what is going on. I do not break the stare into his eyes. I slowly start undoing my coat. Suddenly a cheeky grin grows on his face. He licks his lips and continues to stare at me. I get to the dclast button on my coat and slowly move my right hand inside. I raise my left hand and curl my finger towards myself, instructing him to move closer. Like a child in a candy store he gingerly makes his way towards me. His eyes ignited with passion now. I take one last glance at his passion fuelled eyes, and in one blink I remove my hand from my jacket, thrust the knife into his chest and he falls onto the grass. I quickly dive down and remove the blade. His eyes are no longer as bright as they were a mere moment ago. They now look as though they are searching for some answer to the pain. The blood is cascading down from the wound onto the grass. The moonlight makes crimson look like such an inviting colour. I pull my coat around me again and turn on my heel...

I awoke gasping for breath. My sheets are sticking to my body. I am sweating like a maniac. I pull the sticky sheets off myself and run for the bathroom. I slammed the door behind me and stared at myself in the mirror. I splashed some water on my face and left the tap running. It was just a dream, I tell myself. I didn't kill anyone last night. I didn't kill my ex boyfriend, I'm not capable of such a crime. I couldn't even kill a fly if I tried. Still taking in deep breaths I splashed some more water onto my face and turn the tap off. Leaning on the basin, I stare into the mirror. I'm pale as a ghost. It was just a real bad dream, a nightmare. I sat down in the edge of the bath and tried to compose myself. I stared down at my toes and continued to tell myself that it was just a dream and that I was panicking over nothing. After several minutes of pepping myself up I head into the shower and wash away the sweat from the night. I prepare myself some toast and a coffee and lounge around the kitchen for a bit, but the image of Drew lying on the grass holding his chest is vivid in my mind. I need to occupy myself with something, so I grab my car keys and head to work.

I can honestly say that I love my job. Not many people appreciate what I do. Actually whenever I tell them they tend to give me the evil eye and turn away in disgust. It seems as though being a forensic pathologist is the worst thing anyone could ever become. Personally I love it. I was unsure about it at first and I don't even know why I decided on taking on the role. I was never a fan of blood, and was terrified of death from such a young age. It may sound crazy but I think I have found my calling in life. I get a kick out of being able to help so many people every day, to help them make their last farewells on this earth. And the best part about it all, the never complain about my work. Currently I am located at the Saint James Hospital in Newark, New Jersey and I look after all the patients from the other two hospitals within in the area, mainly those from ICU at Saint Michael's Medical Center. Basically there is never a boring moment at work. There is always someone new coming in with a new story to tell. Sometimes the work can get a bit hard depending on who you have on your dissecting table. The worst for me is children. I always find it so hard to open them up and see what's inside. They are just such innocent creatures that shouldn't end up on my table. They have their whole life to live, but it's cut too brutally short.

'Good Morning Missy'
'Good Morning Charlie'. Charlie is my Forensic Technician. He assists me during my autopsy's. Mainly prepares the body by draining it of its fluids and performing the Y incision. 'We got a busy one ahead of us. Did you hear about the shooting that occurred last night down the main strip?'
'Nah haven't heard a thing at all, don't have time for TV'.
That was a down right lie and Charlie knew it. Charlie knows that I always sit and watch the 6 oclock news and then the late news and the morning news so I can see my potential visitors to my office.
'What do you mean you didn't watch the news?'
'I just didn't have time. I was really tired last night and fell asleep as soon as I turned the key in the door'.
Charlie shrugged his shoulders and walked over to the refrigerating unit. He pulled out our first project for the day. I got myself ready for the mission.

Just like any other surgeon, I scrub myself down and put on my green medical attire, complete with gloves. As I was scrubbing my hands I noticed some red stains underneath my nails. I retraced my thoughts to what I really did get up to last night, and nothing can explain the red under the nails. Upon closer inspection I notice that its blood. Whose blood? Then a piercing thought entered my mind. The blade is in my hand and is entering his chest…'Our first patient is Mr Doug Phillips, aged 29, apparent gun shot wound to the chest, looks as though it penetrated his heart, leading to an immediate death. The Corner wants a full report as he believes that there is more to it then that… Miss… Missy'

The blood is all over his chest and my hands as I try to remove the blade from his chest. My hands are covered in his blood.

'Miss, Miss Mr Phillips likes long walks on the beach and was wondering if you would like to get a room with him when you are finished with him today'.
'What did you say Charlie?'
'Oh so now I have your attention. What's gotten into you Missy? You're on another planet'
'Oh I was just thinking about something that I forgot to do before i… who is this guy?'
'As I was saying this is Mr Doug Phillips. His 29 and was one of the victims from the shooting on the strip last night. It was a single gunshot wound to the chest. Seems like the reason why he is dead, however the corner wants an inquest because he thinks that there was more to it then the gunshot'.
Mr Phillips was now lying on the steel table in the middle of the lab. Charlie had already cut the Y incision and Mr Phillips ribs were cut open so I could get easier access to his heart. Charlie took his position on the stool on the left side of the table and I began to dictate notes to him.

After being wrist deep in blood for three hours it was time to sew up Mr Phillips and have a break.
'What's up with you today Missy? You are just not with it at all, you haven't even told me off for not putting on music this morning'.
For some reason I couldn't just tell Charlie that I was having these visions in my head about the dream that I had the night before. He would think that I was more insane then what he thought I was originally.
'Me? There is nothing wrong at all, just lack of sleep'.
'You just told me that you fell asleep straight away yesterday, that's why you didn't know about the shooting. There is something up, I know there is'.
'Look, Charlie there is nothing can we drop it. And can you please go put some music on. Its too quiet in here'.
Charlie put down the hose he was using to clean the steel bed and went to the office to turn on some tunes. I sat down on the stool and started massaging my temples. What was going on with me? Why was I acting so weird? I barely had a moment to make an answer to these questions when the double doors burst open with two nurses pushing a trolley into the lab.
'…just passed away now on the operating table. Someone found him in a park with a stab wound to the chest. We tried all we could but we just couldn't bring him back. Just the usual once over on this one Miss, but we need the report as soon as possible, looks like a murder and the cops are all over it'. She slapped his medical records on my instrument table and the both stormed out of the room. I got up off my stool and headed towards the trolley. I pulled back the sheet to expose the person underneath. I scream and jump back away from the trolley.
'What? What's going on?' Charlie had come running out of the office and the sound of Marilyn Manson's 'Sweet Dreams' began to fill the lab. Charlie approached the trolley, looked down at the body. He quickly covered it again and turned towards me.
'I'm sorry Miss. If… if I knew I would of got him transferred or something. And anyways we don't have to work on him now... in fact we won't… I will get him transferred… I will start making the calls now'.
Charlie ran off towards the office and left me there open mouthed and pale. I started to shake from head to toe and before I knew it I was on the cold floor.
Sign up to rate and review this story