Categories > Original > Romance

Absolute

by HmmHmm

Thinking about it, it was the vodka. It was because of the vodka Reed'd gotten drunk, fallen in love, and made an absolute idiot of himself. Then again, it was because of it he'd found that someone...

Category: Romance - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Drama,Erotica - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2009-08-18 - Updated: 2009-08-18 - 11438 words - Complete

?Blocked
“Ha… Haa…” Reed gripped the headboard tightly, rocking forward against it with every thrust from behind him.
“Ugh… Louder, Reed…” The man groaned behind him, one hand releasing the death-grip he had on Reed’s pelvis to trail slowly up his back until it buried itself in his neat black hair. It gripped his hair firmly, tugging his head back roughly as the deep thrusts quickened. Reed cried out with every sharp thrust, the man leaning over him, his chest rubbing, slick with sweat, against Reed’s back. His lips and teeth played with Reed’s ear, panting and grunting hotly in his ear, whispering sweet nothings.
“So good… So good, Reed,” He hissed, dragging his tongue up the side of Reed’s neck, nibbling on a sensitive spot behind his ear, before releasing his grip on Reed’s hair and moving it down to stroke Reed’s own arousal. Reed whimpered in the back of his throat, whole body trembling from the man’s actions. He wouldn’t last much longer. Not with this man’s warmth surrounding him, inside and out.
“Ah… Ah! Des… Desmond… I-I…” Reed bit his tongue, unable to let himself finished the sentence. Desmond, of course, completely misunderstood what he was going to say.
“Mmm, me too! I’m about to come! Reed…God, Reed,” Both the hand on his prick and the hips behind him sped up to a frantic pace. Reed was not the only one shaking.
The sound of his voice, husky and low and needing as he groaned his name was all it took. Reed whined loudly as he came, sperm dirtying the sheets below him. With his ejaculation, all his strength left him and Reed fell to the bed, Desmond still pounding him frantically into the bed in search for his own release. Reed closed his eyes, hands tightly fisting the sheets as Desmond’s seed poured into him.
Desmond collapsed on top of him and for a moment both of them lay there, tired and panting and sweating. Reed kept his eyes closed and, despite being crushed by the weight of the older man, enjoyed the heavy, warm protective mass that was his lover. The hand that had been gripping his pelvis let go (Reed winced as blood pounded through the crushed veins, thinking of the finger-shaped bruises he’d surely have) and slid up the bed and gripped Reed’s own hand briefly before Desmond pulled himself off, and out, of the younger man.
Reed trembled as the bed groaned from the shifting weight, the chill of his room attacking his sweat-slicked back, sending shivers up and down his spine. He didn’t move to cover himself though, quietly listening to Desmond’s movements, the flap of his button-up shirt, and the jingle of his belt. Reed tried to ignore the painful tightening in his chest; Desmond didn’t have to leave so quickly.
The bed groaned again as Desmond sat down on the edge, his warmth returning with him. “Hey,” His large, calloused hand touched Reed’s shoulder, slowly moving over his clavicle, up his neck …“Are you alright? I wasn’t too rough, was I?”The hand tangled briefly in Reed’s hair before moving against his forehead, as if checking for a fever.
“I’m fine. You weren’t too rough,” Reed said eventually when the burn of his gaze became too much. He opened his eyes and looked up at him to prove to Desmond that he was telling the truth.
Desmond smiled down at him. “We’ll go slower next time,” he promised, brushing back Reed’s bangs and swooping down, kissing his forehead. He pulled away, standing and zipping up his jeans. Reed sat up, crossing his arms around his knees self-consciously to hide his body. He could feel his cum drying on his chest; Desmond’s dripping out of his ass. He reminded himself to remember condoms next time as he stared at Desmond with a passive face.
Desmond noticed Reed’s gaze, and smiled apologetically at him as he buttoned up his shirt. “Sorry,” he huffed lightly; his eyebrows furrowed in a way that almost made Reed believe he truly was. Desmond picked up his socks and shoes, sitting back down on the edge of the bed so he could pull them on. “I gotta get to work; I can’t be late again or else I’ll get sacked,” He looked nervously over at Reed, obviously wanting him to say something back.
Reed looked down at his toes, curling them lightly. “It’s fine, I don’t want you to lose your job,” he said, his voice monotone, his face blank. Even though he understood, Reed still couldn’t help but feel used.
Desmond stood up, smiling again but with more affection this time. He leaned down, ruffling Reed’s sweaty hair before letting the appendage rest there after a moment. “I’ll make it up to you, OK? How about I take you to dinner along with that movie this Friday?” Reed didn’t answer, wanting to protest that Desmond shouldn’t spend the money, but knowing he’d do what he wanted anyways. He merely leaned into further into his touched.
Desmond pulled away again, his smile slightly dimmer, and turned and walked over to the door of Reed’s bedroom, pausing to pick up his coat that had been tossed across Reed’s desk chair earlier. He stopped again as he slung the coat over his shoulders, before turning and walking back over to Reed, looking smug. Desmond leaned down and looped his arm around Reed’s shoulders, his other hand prying one of Reed’s off his knees, pressing a small metal object into his hand.
“Here,” Desmond said, admiring the shocked expression on Reed’s face as he stared down at the key. “It’s the key to my apartment; I want you to have it. Feel free to come over anytime, even if I’m not there,” He leaned in, kissing Reed briefly on the lips, before pulling away, grinning, and turning on his heel, sauntering out of the room with his arms crossed behind his head, one waving briefly with a quick, “Later babe!”
The door snapped shut behind him, leaving Reed feeling a little lonely. He smiled, however, looking down at the glittering key in his hand. He raised the key to his lips, kissing it lightly.
“Desmond…”
--
Their relationship was an accident; a mistake. It happened one night a month ago at the Why Not Café, when a waiter and lounge singer, Shilo, burst in an announced that, after almost five years, he, yes he, Shilo Thomas Lazzo, had won the heart of the nationally famous chef, Vincent Seeley Moon. Both Desmond and Reed also worked, part-time, at the Why Not, Desmond as a bartender and Reed as a musician (saxophone being his instrument of choice). Reed wasn’t very close with any of his coworkers, except for the lounge singer, Maria, and a waitress, Andromeda. Andromeda was very kind, artistic, and beautiful. Reed had several classes with her at their college, and she supported his music. He rather thought that she fancied him and he back. Maria was the usual singer, who was also very pretty and kind, but with a wicked past and mean streak. She was in the same year as Shilo, and a close friend to him as well. Shilo would sometimes take the stage instead of her, his singing voice obviously being his best feature.
If it hadn’t been for Shilo, his normal, nasally voice ringing painfully through the café, Reed might have very well wound up falling in love with Andromeda and spending the remainder of his time in college, or even a vast portion of his life, with her. But the pink haired, college freshmen couldn’t let him have that, now could he?
Desmond was Shilo’s best friend. Reed knew this even before he got to know Des. They had grown up together since the day Shilo was born (Shilo being a year younger than Des). When Shilo’s parents had died in a car accident, Desmond had demanded that his parents adopted, even though eventually Shilo’s older sister adopted him. They had been the reason the other had realized he were gay, though that flame had died when Shilo became a sophomore. Desmond had introduced Shilo to the ‘love of his life’, Vincent. And, when Desmond graduated high school a year before Shilo would, he decided not to go to college so that he could stay with him. Then, when Shilo decided to go to college here in Etelatraw, Desmond followed him. When Shilo needed some help with money, Desmond found them jobs here, as well as another part time job so he could help him pay his school funds.
Obviously, they had a lot of history. Now, it made Reed burn with jealousy when he saw the pink-haired boy. But that night, for Desmond, hearing his best friend’s success in capturing the love of his life, decided that a party was in order. With little begging to the café’s owner, Sonya (Desmond had quite the way with women (and men), which was another thing that filled Reed with jealousy), decided to join in throwing Shilo and Vincent a congratulatory party, which consisted of allowing them free liquor for the night.
If it hadn’t been for Sonya liking Desmond and Shilo so much and being unusually benevolent (as she was normally a very stingy woman), and for Reed’s secret love for free vodka, then Reed wouldn’t have gotten too drunk to remember more than one sentence at a time that night. If some part of Desmond wasn’t still in love his best friend, then he wouldn’t have been so smashed that he couldn’t say a sentence more than four words long. If any of their coworkers had been sober enough, or nice enough, to take at least one of them home, then Desmond and Reed wouldn’t have been left drunk, alone, and secluded in a dark room with many flat surfaces.
Reed didn’t remember much of that night. A lot of sloppy kisses. Torn clothing. A broken chair or two. The pain when Desmond entered him. Collapsing much later, tried, worn and cold, on something that Reed thought was the floor. The clearest thing that Reed could remember that night was suddenly being wrapped in warmth, Desmond’s voice in his ear whispering a tired, “Thank you,” and falling asleep feeling more comfortable than he had ever before.
The next morning (good God, those dreaded words) Reed awoke in Desmond’s arms, a table cloth wrapped around the both of them. He felt filthy, aching all over, with his head screaming in pain. It wasn’t until he’d kicked Desmond awake and made him make a pot of coffee that Reed even began to realize what had happened that night. He had taken one look up from his cup of coffee at the wrecked café, then at the half naked man in front of him, who was looking sheepish and wild, with his dyed blonde hair sticking up in every direction and kiss mark and scratches all over his fit body.
If Reed had felt filthy before, now he felt positively disgusting.
As bad as the whole, awkward situation had been, they had been cut a lucky break. Today was Saturday, so the Why Not didn’t open until one, Reed didn’t have any classes, and Desmond’s first part time job didn’t start until the afternoon. The two spent an hour cleaning up, Desmond doing most of the work because not only was Desmond impervious to hangovers, but because Reed could hardly move after playing bottom to Des for who knew how many times. Reed was still wondering how either of them could even get it up after so much alcohol. Afterwards, they’d both put on their uniforms (as their clothes were torn from the night before), muttered uneasy goodbyes, and parted ways, Reed going to take a shower and then promptly die from pain and exhaustion on his bed, and Desmond going to clean up before he was due at his job.
He didn’t know how it happened. For a week they would hardly look at each other, avoiding each other as much they could. Yet the whole time Reed would glance at Desmond, mixing drinks behind the bar and flirting back with pretty women, and every time his fingers would spasm, tripping over notes and playing horribly off-key. Reed thought he was going crazy. At the end of the week, when it was his and Des’ turn to do after work cleanup duty, it didn’t even take a minute. Within seconds of being left alone, Desmond and Reed were kissing hotly, Des holding him against the counter. They shared one, longing look, before going back and quickly finishing their chores, heading to Reed’s apartment the second they’d finished.
Waking up in Desmond’s arms was much nicer when it was in his own bed, without a hangover.
--
They’d set themselves up for it, really. Working roughly five hours with each other every Monday, Wednesday, and weekend, looking but unable to touch. Reed was sure it was worse for him than for Desmond. For starters, Reed was on stage next to Maria, who easily drew in almost the entirety of the café’s male customers. Getting violent glares from dangerous looking, slightly drunken men all night was frightening, to say at least. Next there was the fact that by the end of the third hour, he felt like his fingers and lips would fall off. Even though he practiced for an hour each day, at least, there was only so long he could play without a break.
The worst, however, was that from where he stood at the side of the stage, he could see the bar perfectly, could see Desmond perfectly. Desmond was only several months older than Reed, but he looked years. Reed accounted this for the fact that Desmond had been working so hard for the last three years of his life. When it came down to it, Reed didn’t know as much about his lover as he would have liked. He knew he worked at least five part time jobs, and that both his family and Shilo disapproved of the fact that he hadn’t gone to college. Reed knew that Des’ parents were divorced, and he had two siblings, a twin sister, Cleo, and an older brother, Raymond. He wasn’t sure what all of the jobs Desmond worked were either, but he knew that a construction worker and barber were two of them.
Part of Reed was sure than one of his jobs was as a striper. Or at least, he should add that to his list of miscellaneous jobs, because he would make a killing. Watching Desmond from afar, wondering how the man could look so sexy when all he was doing was pouring drinks, all Reed could think of was dead puppies to stop himself from getting an erection on the stage. Des was tall and fairly muscular; his dress shirt stretching across his chest and arms, but there was boyishness all in his face and eyes that made him look more like a child than a man when he smiled at the costumers. The costumers that were touching his arms were the sleeves were rolled up, batting their eyelashes and whispering in his ears.
Something stirred inside of Reed every time one of those women touched Desmond, something that Reed didn’t want to admit. Something that Reed tried to ignore desperately every time Desmond would smile back at them, laugh with them, touched their faces or arms. It wasn’t like what they had was real. They weren’t ‘boyfriends’. Both of them were just in it for the sex, for the company, and, for Desmond, as a replacement for Shilo until he was able to completely accept the fact that he had forever lost his chance with him. As soon as Desmond got over Shilo, he’d probably leave Reed. And that hurt more than Reed wanted it too.
The song ended and Reed let his hands drop, flexing them and letting them rest briefly as the crowd cheered. One of his fingers brushed against the key in his pocket, which he had taken to carrying with him wherever he went, and he frowned slightly, gripping his pants so that he was holding the key with his fingertips. This would be taken from him when Desmond was done. Even though… Through the crowd, Reed caught Des’ green eyes. His face lit up and he waved from the bar, smiling brightly. Several women turned to see who he was looking at. Reed’s face relaxed and he smiled a little and nodded, enough so that he knew Des saw. Maybe there was a chance that Desmond felt the same as he did, that something in his stomach ached every time Andromeda touched him, smiled at him. Or maybe he would come to, and Reed wouldn’t feel quite as alone. He clutched the key a little tighter in his pocket before letting go as the next song started. It was his hope.
Later, when they were changed into their street clothes and the café had closed for the night, their gloved fingers intertwined lightly in the alleyway, Reed could still feel Desmond’s heat. If Reed had to represent Desmond with anything, it would be the sun. He was bright and warm, and even when he left he always returned. Leaning forward, his blonde hair slicked back and green eyes piercing, Desmond smiled lightly; he was happy, as his other arm snaked around Reed’s waist and pulled him closer. Desmond was breathtaking. Reed imagined what he looked like now to Des, what he was thinking as their breaths puffed white between them. As they kissed under the lamp in the alleyway, he definitely knew what he wasn’t thinking, but knew with every fiber of his being what he hoped it was.
--
It was Thursday night when Reed got back to his apartment, stamping his feet of the snow that clung to his boots. His bag was weighed down with books and papers, homework waiting to be studied and completed for his professors. He’s glad that he doesn’t have work tonight, because between work and Desmond, he hasn’t been getting as much of his assignments done as he’d like. He plans to catch up on his work and listen to Ronnie Scott, maybe try to make some Kraft macaroni. Reed doesn’t think he’s up to cleaning up the burnt mess that he’d make if he tried. Ramen noodles would be a better bet, or maybe he would just order some take-out.
Reed stopped in his plans for dinner as he caught sight of something lying on his couch. Something big and gangly, its legs falling over one side of the couch and dirty boots leaving little black stains on the armrest. Reed rushed over to Desmond, momentarily worried that he was injured, but stopped and relaxed in relief when he saw that he was just sleeping. He had given his own apartment key to Desmond ages ago, since they were always over at his place. Reed hadn’t even seen the inside of Desmond’s house.
He kneeled beside Desmond, unraveling his striped scarf from around his neck and pulling off his gloves as he did so. Desmond shouldn’t be this beautiful. His normally slicked hair was floppy, hanging around his head like a halo. Reed reached out, brushing his hand through the locks. He could see brown hair near the roots, where his hair had grown longer. He distantly realized that this was the first time that he’d ever seen Desmond asleep; he was usually up at the crack of dawn, before even Reed dared to get out of bed.
Through his beauty, Reed noticed just how exhausted Desmond looked. There were bags under his eyes and a weary look about his body, as if it hadn’t gotten a chance to rest in ages. Reed’s heart clenched, his hand moving to the side of Des’ face. He wouldn’t tell Desmond it, he wasn’t in the position to, but he didn’t like Desmond working so many jobs. In fact, he hated it. Desmond should have gone to college, Shilo be damned. Desmond acted like a goof often, but he was intelligent. Reed knew that if he tried he could easily get into a college. He didn’t know whether it was that Desmond didn’t have any interest in going to school, or if he wanted to continue to support Shilo, or just that he felt he didn’t have that option any more as to why he’d yet to apply for the school. The hand slowly moved, tracing Desmond’s jaw line, Reed thinking wistfully of being able to see Desmond on campus, sneaking kissing between classes, during if they had any classes together.
Reed was jostled out of his thoughts when the hand that had been lying across Desmond’s chest shot up and grabbed his wrist. Sleepy emerald peeked at him from beneath two eyelids, a quiet, charming smile crossing pale lips before they opened and said, “Cropping a feel while I’m asleep?”
Reed laughed quietly, unable to stop the words that came tumbling from his mouth. “You shouldn’t work so hard. You’ll kill yourself,” So much for wouldn’t.
Desmond closed his eyes again, smile dawning a more tired look. “You’re only saying that because you don’t want me sleeping on your couch,” he teased.
“That’ll be the only place you’ll be sleeping if you keep coming here looking like this,” Reed taunted back. Of course he would share his bed with Des. Share anything. Always.
“Aw, babe. You’re lying. You’d miss me too much,” His eyes were still closed, but his voice less sleepy than it had been previously. The hand holding Reed’s gently moved it further down his jaw, his fingertips brushing against the light fuzz, until Reed’s hand was against Des’ lips. Desmond kissed the side of his hand, then looked over at Reed and kissed his palm, slowly, longingly. Reed fought a blush over his actions, a battle he lost when Des pulled on his arm, pulling Reed over him, until they were face-to-face, Reed hovering above Desmond. Des leaned up and kissed Reed, other hand moving up to the back of Reed’s neck to hold him in place. It wasn’t needed as Reed kissed him back, as slowly and sweetly as Des had kissed his hand. He cradled the side of Desmond’s face with his right hand, his other interlocked with Desmond’s over his chest, over his heart.
They pulled away and stared at each other. Desmond stroked the back of Reed’s neck, sending goose bumps down his arms and spine, before moving to put his arm behind his head like a pillow. Reed pulled away, sitting on the side of the couch. Both their hands and gazes were still locked.
Desmond smirked, raising an eyebrow. “So, honey, what’s for dinner?” Reed scoffed and pulled away, standing up.
“So that’s why you came to my house instead of yours?” He asked, pretending to be insulted, though his chest was tightening. An arm grabbed him around the waist, pulling him back.
“Not just that,” Desmond said, his other hand pulling up Reed’s coat and shirt. Reed gasped as Desmond kissed the small of his back, first feather-light touches, but quickly becoming wetter as teeth bit and a hot tongue trailed up and down the base of his spine.
Reed pried Desmond’s arm from around his waist, walking quickly away toward the kitchen. He rubbed the small of his back where it tingled and ached, glancing back at Desmond from over the counter. He tossed his jacket down on the table and proceeded to pull out a pot.
“Macaroni okay with you?” he asked, not trusting himself to look at Desmond again.
“Oooo, is it Kraft?” Desmond asked eagerly. “I made that right once before. Best luck I’ve had yet,” Reed didn’t know how a bartender, and a person he was fairly sure once worked as a chef, could have such terrible cooking skills. Not that Reed had any excuse, when he excelled in most other things. It’d been learned early on that both of them were God-awful cooks, which had cause both of them to decide eating out was a much more logical choice. Who needed all those extra dishes to clean anyways?
Reed was staring at the water, wandering if the little bubbles appearing all along the bottom and sides of the pot meant the water was boiling when hand wrapped around his waist tightly, pulling him back against a larger chest. Reed was overwhelmed with Desmond’s heat for a second, but quickly felt his arousal rubbing against his backside.
“Desmo-“ He was silenced as Desmond grabbed the side of his face, turning his head around to meet his lips in a ferocious kiss. Reed couldn’t stop the moan that escaped his mouth, or his hands from wandering back, groping Desmond’s ass and pulling him closer. Desmond growled, pulling Reed backwards across the kitchen. Reed almost tripped over his feet, when Desmond suddenly bent him in half. Reed grunted as his chest met with his tabletop sharply. Desmond brushed the hair away from the back of his neck and kissed the first few vertebras in apology. The apology was ruined by Desmond’s hands fumbling frantically with Reed’s belt.
The longer Desmond struggled with Reed’s belt, the more passionate the kisses began to get. Reed panted, whining softly when Desmond bit the curve of his ear, tongue dragging down his neck. When his belt was undone and the buttons of his jeans ripped apart, one of Des’ hands plunged into his briefs, wrapping around his hardening length tightly. Reed bit his lips as Des’ other hand shamelessly wandered up his chest, viciously twisting his nipples and stroking his abdomen. Reed moaned, pressing his forehead against the table, arching his back up to meet Desmond’s chest. Desmond sought out his lips, attacking them as strongly as he had before.
With a swift tug at his trousers, Reed’s pants fell and pooled around his ankles. Both of them were still fully clothed, right down to their shoes. Reed’s shirt was pushed up, exposing most of his back to attack of Desmond’s lips while he pulled down his own pants, rubbing himself until he was fully erect. Des’ heated kisses moved lower and lower, and Reed gasped loudly, fisting his discarded coat as Des’ tongue worked its way into his ass. Reed would never get used to this intense feeling, of Des’ hot, wet tongue probing him, preparing him, his soft lips rubbing against his cheeks. Reed clenched his eyes shut when Desmond removed his tongue with a loud smack and trembled with he felt Des’ tip press against him.
He thrust in fast, settling balls deep in one go. Reed couldn’t help but scream when he entered, not being properly prepared before. Desmond hesitated, his hands lightly massaging Reed’s back, leaning over and planting kisses all over. Reed breathed in deeply, relaxing his body around the heavy heat buried deeply in him. He wasn’t completely ready when Desmond pulled back roughly and thrust back in. Reed moaned with every thrust, rocking against the table over and over as Desmond drug his fingers into Reed’s shoulders, holding him down, and thrust, thrust, thrust into him. His legs trembled and gave out, and if it weren’t for the table Reed knew he would have fallen. Reed feared for his poor table as the strength of Desmond’s thrusts increased.
There were no words, only sounds. The creaking of the table, the boiling of the water, the slap of their skin and the moans that were ripped from them. Eventually Desmond reached down and desperately grasped for Reed’s erection, fisting it quickly. Reed jumped, hips rocking back into Des violently. Desmond grunted loudly, pausing in his work on Reed’s penis to rub his balls or play with the tip. Reed’s mouth turned dry, his whole body aching, needing, so very hot and more than anything he wanted Desmond to hold him. He rocked back again, feeling Desmond grow harder, his movements more frantic, and before Reed could say a thing, he came hard, semen splattering against the table top. Desmond moaned as Reed squeezed down on his length, and with a few more frantic thrusts into Reed’s placid body, exploded inside him. Desmond’s hand slapped loud against the table as he caught himself, their only point of connection being Desmond’s limp cock in his filled ass. Desmond pulled out quickly, hobbling over to the kitchen counter with his pants around his ankles and grabbed some paper towels before hobbling back. Reed lay against the table, aching all over and breathing hard. He arched when Desmond began wiping his ass, cleaning his cum.
“We’ll go slower next time,” Reed mumbled sarcastically.
He could feel Desmond wince as he pulled away, a wad of dirty paper towels landing beside his head on the table. “I’m really sorry,” Reed heard Desmond zip up his pants, and then felt Desmond pull up his own, placing a quick kiss on each buttock before covering them. Desmond began to button them up for him. “I am. I just-” Desmond pulled down his shirt and moved away. Reed slowly pushed himself up, limping over to the chair on the other side of the table before collapsing in it, wincing at the pressure on his ass. Desmond was once again donning a sheepish look, and it was hard for Reed to be angry at him. He was able to keep up his blasé look though.
“I just got carried away,” Desmond was having a hard time looking at him. When he dubbed that Reed wasn’t too angry at him, he walked foreword, kneeling in front of him. He hesitantly took one of his hands. “I just… You don’t know…” Reed smiled sadly.
“It’s OK,” He knew what was left off. ‘You don’t know how hard it is to love him when he doesn’t.’ “I understand,” Reed did. Desmond had caused him to understand unrequited love quite thoroughly.
Desmond smiled up at him. “Thank you,” he mumbled, kissing his hand.
Reed looked away, pain still coursing up his back and in his hips. “You should go order Chinese food. I don’t feel like macaroni anymore,”
Des stood up and grinned. “I’ll pay to make it up to you,” he offered. Reed laughed, slowly inching up off the chair.
“I was planning on you doing that anyway. I’m going to take a shower,” he added, limping into the hallway and to the bathroom. The hot spray of the shower felt good on his worn muscles, the water easily concealing his tears.
When he walked back to the kitchen, feeling better than he had previously, he was shocked to see the Chinese food arranged elegantly on white dishes, two wine glasses filled with what Reed assumed was water, and a candle placed between the plates, casting a romantic glow in Reed’s small kitchen. Desmond was leaning against the table, eyes all but glowing in the candle light.
“You took so long in there, I thought you’d drowned,” Desmond joked, walking towards him. Reed allowed him to take him into his arms and hug him lightly. “Did I ever tell you that I used to arrange flowers at a job?” Desmond’s nose pressed softly against Reed’s hair. “You smell like grapes,” he commented, pulling Reed towards the table.
“At least I don’t smell like sex and sweat,” Reed said. He was lying though. He liked the smell of Desmond after he’d sweat, especially after they’d had sex. It smelt like… like raw, natural Desmond.
“Well, I thought of joining you in the shower, but you needed a break, and I was busy with this,” Desmond pulled out his chair like a butler.
“You can take one later,” Reed told him, sitting down. “After this, I have to finish my homework anyways,”
Desmond winced, taking his seat at the other side. “Ouch. I certainly don’t miss that word,” he said, picking up a pair of chopsticks.
Reed broke his own pair. “You should go back, you know,” he blurted out. “To school, to college. Get a degree,”
Desmond smiled at him, eyes twinkling. “You sound like my mother,” They continued talking easily as they finished dinner. Conversations were always easy with Des. He was just that kind of a person. When they finished, they put the dishes in the sink.
“I’ll go take that shower now,” Desmond called from the doorway. He gestured at the table. “You should eat that, and don’t forget to add ‘in bed’,” He winked, then disappeared.
Reed went over to the table and picked up the fortune cookie. He broke it open, putting the two halves of cookies in his mouth a looking at the paper. He almost choked when he read it.
‘All you need is love’
Reed hesitated, swallowed, and said, “In bed,”
--
Reed’s whole family was made of successful business people. He, like Desmond, had his parents, and two elder siblings, a brother and a sister. His father, mother and brother all owned their own businesses, and his sister worked for their mother. Reed was expected to follow in their footsteps and work for his father or his brother. Reed parents, while loving, didn’t support him in pursuing a career as a musician. They had had many fights over his future, and had eventually settled on an agreement. Reed would take accounting and business classes while in college, and then once he’d graduated, he’d work for his family for a year and make a decision to stay or not. Reed already knew that he wasn’t going to keep up his end of the bargain. He wondered how they would react when they learned he’d lied to them.
Reed wondered how they would react when he told them he was gay.
Packing up his books as his last class that Friday ended, Reed wondered why he still hadn’t informed his family he was gay. Probably because he wouldn’t put it past his family to hate him for it. Probably because he hadn’t even accepted that he was gay until Desmond. That’s not to say that Desmond had been his first guy. Just the first he’d ever felt anything romantic for. Not that eating dinner at a cheap restaurant chain and crappy scary movie was romantic, but it was still an evening with Desmond that didn’t entirely involve sex. That was good enough for him. Reed wondered, walking down the stairs of the classroom, if he’d have enough time to go home and take a shower, when suddenly someone slammed into his back.
He fell to his hands and knees, dropping his bag. His books clattered across the floor as the person who ran into him fell onto the floor beside him. Reed gritted his teeth as he spotted the stock of pink hair.
“Smooth,” he said sarcastically reaching for his books.
“I’m sorry!” Shilo shouted, frantically reaching to help collect his books. “I tripped over the stairs!”
“Who ever heard of a clumsy waiter?” Reed asked, shoving the books back into his bag with a little more force than necessary. When he reached out to grab his books from Shilo, he was met with the freshmen baring a very shocked expression.
“What?” he asked, pulling the books out if Shilo’s grasp by force. Shilo broke out of his trance and jumped to his feet, holding his hands up in a surrender-like notion.
“Reed! Sorry!” Shilo gasped, nervously tugging on his pink locks. Why on Earth did the boy think that it looked good pink?
“Its fine,” Reed said, trying to keep his annoyance (hatred) out of his voice. He reached out further to grab the last two books and heard Shilo gasp behind him.
“What is this?” Reed jumped when his shirt was suddenly tugged up. “Holy shit – look at all these hickeys! Where did they all come from?”
Reed pulled away violently, shoving his shirt back down and glad that they were the only ones in the classroom. “From my lover, of course. Where do yours come from?” He gestured to the very visible red mark on Shilo’s neck. The boy blushed and looked away, covering the mark with his hand but looking rather pleased.
“Well, yeah, I know that,” Shilo said, waving his other hand in a dismissive manner. “But I thought you were asexual or something,”
“Well, I’m not,” Reed turned on his heel, heading to the door. “Is it common for you to wonder about your coworker’s sexuality?” he asked, opening the door and shivering in the cool afternoon air.
“Of course not!” Shilo shouted, bounding out the door after him. “It’s just that you’re always so quiet and broody and a little standoffish at work and –”
But Reed wasn’t listening to the loud boy anymore. He was staring across the large sidewalk, crowded with students, at a man leaning against a tree. Desmond’s hair was slicked back like usual, and he was wearing a long black trench coat, black pants, a white button-up shirt, and fingerless gloves. He looked stunning, and Reed couldn’t stop the grin growing on his face. He hadn’t expected Desmond to come pick him up at the colle-
“DESSI!” Reed jumped violently at Shilo’s cry, watching as the boy ran quickly through the students at flung himself into Desmond’s arms. Reed watched as Desmond thumped back against the tree with the weight of the boy, laughing and smiling down at the boy. Watched how he let the boy cling onto him, who was talking a mile a minute, how he laughed and talked back. How his face had lit up the second Shilo had run over to him – he was practically glowing –, and how tightly his arms were looped around his slim waist. But most of all, how he had forgotten that Reed was even there. No, that wasn’t right. Desmond hadn’t even noticed that Reed was there at all. The second they had come out that door, Des’ sharp eyes had locked onto the pink-haired boy, focusing all his attention on Shilo.
Reed turned and strode off, his heart sinking to the back of his chest. He pulled the key roughly out of his pocket, glaring at it with tears in his eyes. It’d been his symbol of hope, that maybe Desmond would come to love him instead, but that was a lie, and this wasn’t what he wanted. There was no need for this. He realized it now.
The more time Reed spent with him, the more he realized that he’s in love with Desmond. Yet the more time he spends with him, the more Reed knows that he doesn't. Des doesn’t love him. Not like… not like Reed loves him. He realized that it was time to end it. He didn’t want to fall deeper than he already had. Not if Desmond wasn’t going to catch him.
--
Despite the fact that Reed had never been to Desmond’s house, he did know the address. It had been rather easy, actually; finding his apartment. The hard part was actually shoving the key in the door and opening it, knowing that he was ending it. He would leave the key and a note beside Desmond’s bed, and then spend the night at Andromeda’s so Desmond wouldn’t find him at his own. Then, Saturday night, when Desmond confronted him on their break-up, Reed would be more composed, he’d be able to coolly tell Desmond off and ask for his key back. Reed wondered how long it would take all the hickeys that littered his body to go away.
Desmond’s apartment was small, but cleaner than Reed had expected it to be. All the furniture was old and tattered, giving the place a nice homey feeling. He searched briefly for a pen and a piece of paper, and, after a brief moment of hesitation, quickly scrawled across the paper in his elegant handwriting.
‘It’s over, Desmond. Let’s break up. I’m done with you. – R.J.Z.’
Reed read over the letter and nodded to himself, going to search for Desmond’s bedroom. It didn’t matter if it was short or not, he was expecting Desmond to confront him about it anyways. And if he didn’t, well, it just proved that Desmond had never really cared all along.
Des’ bedroom was tiny. There was just enough room for his bed and a bedside cabinet. Reed suddenly realized why he’d never seen Des’ apartment before; because Desmond had been embarrassed at how quant his apartment was compared to Reed’s. Reed felt a little wave of guilt as he closed the bedroom door and walked over to the cabinet, placing the key down on top of the note. A sudden wave of self hate and pity washed over Reed and he sat down hard on the bed.
He froze as he did and turned to look at the bed. It smelled like Desmond. Slowly, he lay down on the bed, clutching the sheets lightly and inhaling. Desmond smelt like spring plants, warming and photosynthesizing in the afternoon sun, like wet stone and honey. Reed closed his eyes and wondered how long it would be until this scent faded from his own bed.
Reed jumped, feeling a stirring inside him and his jeans tighten. Even if he wasn’t there, Desmond could do this to him. Reed hesitantly slid his hand down his body, rolling slightly onto his side. His hand undid the button and pulled down the zipper of his jeans, letting it sink inside his boxers. His fingers wrapped around his already aching erection, and Reed began to pump himself slowly. He swallowed as his breath rate increased, preseminal fluids leaking out the tip.
“Desmond…” Reed panted, now leaning over on his knees, squeezing himself, and pumping faster. It was all Desmond’s fault. His fault that this desire had been ripped out into the open. His fault that Reed was so messed up!
“Reed, are you here?” Reed froze as he heard the front door slam behind Desmond. He rocked back so he was sitting on his legs, covering himself with his hands. He jumped and his head whipped around when he heard the bedroom door open. And there Desmond stood, looking as if someone had slapped him in the face. Desmond gulped and Reed hurried to make an excuse for himself, but before he could get out a peep, Desmond turned on his heel and marched back out into the apartment.
Reed was confused, and a little hurt, until he heard a brief scuffle outside the bedroom. “OW, Dessi! What is it? Is he here? Is he OK? Would you stop shoving me?!” It was Shilo, and the slam of the front door silenced his annoyed cries. Then, before Reed could compose himself enough to put his erection back into his pants, Desmond was back in the bedroom, launching himself at Reed. He was immediately pinned to the bed, his legs by Desmond’s, his right hand by his left, but his left remained free as Desmond quickly began stroking him himself.
“Reed, what were you doing in my bed?” Desmond asked, his voice sounding shocked, but pleased. “You’re already so hard and wet,” he added, stoking faster.
“Ah… Desmond…” Reed jerked his head to the side, losing himself quickly to pleasure.
“Reed…” Desmond said, leaning over Reed as if for a kiss. He needed to move faster, Reed needed… but no. This wasn’t what he wanted. He’d come here to end this charade they’d started. Reed strengthened his resolve and pushed himself up with his free elbow, pulling his hand out of Desmond’s and shoving him back.
“Enough!” he cried, brows furrowed. He couldn’t bring himself to look at Desmond. “That’s enough…” Desmond was only half paying attention, however, as he was looking over Reed’s shoulder at his bedside cabinet. With a movement so fast it could have made a hummingbird dizzy, the hand that had been holding Reed’s erection had picked up the note and key. Reed watched painfully at the twisted expression Desmond made as he read it.
“This… Reed, why?” Desmond demanded, looking up at him. Once more Reed had to look away. “Don’t you know what a shitty way this is to break up with someone? Reed, look at me,” He reached out, trying to touch Reed’s face.
“Don’t touch me!” Reed shouted, twisting away from Desmond. “Get off me!”
“Reed, calm down!” Desmond shouted, determinedly placing himself between Reed and the edge of the bed. “C’mon, let’s talk about this,”
“Ha!” If he wasn’t cruel, Reed wouldn’t be able to go through with this. He wouldn’t be able to make Desmond understand. “You’re really oblivious, aren’t you?” He looked straight at Desmond, glaring at him. “Our relationship, it just sort of happened, right? It doesn’t mean anything!”
“Reed…” Desmond looked so pained, so shocked. “Is sleeping with another man something that just sort of happens?”
“Maybe not for me, but for you it does! Not only men, but women to! Ever since I’ve started working at Why Not, I’ve seen you go home with someone almost every night!” Reed couldn’t stop himself. “Since you’re just satisfying you’re sexual needs, it doesn’t matter who you’re with, right?”
He watched as Desmond’s face went from shocked to pained comprehension. Reed looked down at his hands, willing himself not to cry in front of Desmond.
“… I understand,” Desmond’s own voice sounded so strained. Reed had to bite the inside of his lip to stop himself from jumping after Desmond when he turned to leave. And then Reed let one tear, then two slide down his face, as Desmond could no longer see them. It was over.
“Reed…” Reed jumped, surprised that Desmond hadn’t left yet, and painstakingly turned to look at him. What he saw surprised him even more. Des looked so pitiful, so hurt, so weak and lost, like… like he was about to cry. But why? Desmond had just been with him because he couldn’t have Shilo, just because he didn’t have Reed anymore didn’t mean he could find someone else.
… Oh.
Reed all but leaped off of the bed, crashing into Desmond’s open arms. He wrapped his arms tightly around Desmond neck, pressing his face into his shoulder. This was great… this was amazing. He did have a place in Desmond’s heart.
“I thought that you still loved Shilo, and then when we got together just after he did with that man, I thought I was just his substitute. The truth is, I really… really love you,” Reed mumbled into Desmond’s jacket, hoping he wasn’t wrong. “I love you so much I can’t stand it… Desmond…”
One of Desmond’s hands came up and cupped his face, bringing it back so that he could kiss him. It was slow and sweet, unlike most of their kisses, and wet, though that was because of Reed’s tears, and not their tongues. It made the hair stand up on the back of his neck, and his legs were absolute jelly when Desmond pulled away. He smiled, and everything about him seemed to glow. Desmond pulled Reed’s head back against his shoulder, resting his chin on top of Reed’s head.
“So that’s why you’ve been like this? ‘Cause you were jealous of Shy?” Reed felt Desmond sigh heavily into his hair. “Well, I must say, you don’t sound like the A+ student you say you are, considering you only got two out of three right. Because I do still love Shilo –” Reed froze in his arms suddenly, feeling as if a bucket of ice water had been poured down his back and his tears renewed. “ – But only as a brother, or the guy that I’ve been friends with since, oh, I don’t know, we were in diapers. That’s why we broke up ages ago, because it was too weird to be pounding someone who was my brother in everything but blood into the bed. Next, you got this wrong, because I have never compared you to Shilo, or anyone else for that matter. You could never be a replacement, and no one could ever replace you,” Reed could feel his heart pounding in his chest. How blind could he possibly be to not see any of this?
“But, y’know, I think I’ll give you a passing grade anyway,” Desmond said, pulling away just enough so he could stare Reed in the eyes. “Since the last one was the most important one. Since, of course, you have to love me, because I love you so much, and I don’t deal with unrequited love so well,” he winked and quickly stole a kiss from Reed, who was quite shell shocked at the moment. He hadn’t thought Desmond’s feelings went that far for him (especially since he’d just learned that he had any at all!). “Though I guess we’re the same, since apparently you don’t either,” Desmond shook his head, pressing his forehead against Reed’s. “Honestly, Reed, breaking up with me? Do you even know what I would do without you?” He smiled again, that stunning, irresistible smile, as he slowly walked the two of them backwards towards his bed. “You know, for someone as smart as you, you’re a right idiot sometimes,”
Reed laughed then, as his back collided with the bed, so much stress, and uncertainty, and hurt leaving his shoulders all at once. Amazing… “I know. I’m an absolute idiot. Who was it that said love makes us do crazy things?” he asked, looking back up at Desmond. But something was wrong. Desmond’s face had lost all its mirth, and he was now staring at Reed as if he’d swallowed a bug. Reed reached up touched the side of his face, frowning. “What’s wrong?” he asked.
Desmond grabbed his hand and pressed his mouth to it, groaning loudly in the back of his throat. “I have – ” He kissed his hand. “Never – ” His wrist. “Heard you laugh like that,” He kissed him square on the lips. Again it was slow and soft, and it made Reed tingle in all the best ways possible. He looked at Reed again, almost as if seeing him for the first time. “Whenever you usually laugh, there’s something… I don’t know, strained about it. Like you don’t really feel like laughing, but are forcing yourself to anyways,” Desmond buried his face in the crook of Reed’s neck, tentatively licking at one of the hickeys there. “Will you always laugh like that for me now?”
Reed smiled, running his hands up and down Desmond’s back. “I will,” he promised, then turned his head to seal it with a kiss. He’s mine… Reed thought, slowly pulling off Desmond’s jacket as they kissed. One of Desmond’s hands were holding his face, fingers playing with his hair lightly, the other one trailing slowly down his body towards his still open pants. Reed was confused when, instead of heading towards his reawakening cock, Des’s hand slipped into his pocket.
“This key,” Desmond said, pulling away from their kiss and looking flushed. “Is yours. I don’t want it back. And this,” Desmond dangled the note in front of his face. “I don’t ever want you to leave a piece of trash like this in my apartment again. Your clothes, cool. Your books, sure. But pieces of trash with lies written all over them? No way. I might not be able to forgive you next time if I find another one,”
Reed reached up and took the paper from him, crumpling it up. “Don’t worry,” he said, popping the paper in his mouth and swallowing. “I’ll never do it again,” He leaned up and kissed Desmond quickly.
Desmond pulled a disgusted face. “You didn’t have to eat it, you psycho,” he said, hands touching Reed all over.
“Hmm, maybe,” Reed agreed, sliding his arms around Desmond’s waist and dipping his hands down the back of his pants. Desmond gasped when Reed squeezed each buttock, his pants sliding quickly off his ass.
“H-Hey…” he said, putting one of his hands on Reed’s arm. “We’ll miss movie,”
“Movies are too impersonal,” Reed said, pressing a kiss to Desmond’s neck, just under his ear. He whispered, “I want you. Please Des. I love you,” He felt Desmond’s whole body go rigid, and then he was once more slammed back against the bed, Desmond attacking his lips.
They eventually pulled away, both gasping for breath. “You make me crazy, Reed,” Desmond said, pulling up Reed’s shirt, hands greedily roaming over the pale skin found beneath it. “You have no idea what you do to me. This is why I’m always so rough with you… I just can’t hold back,”
Reed leaning up, letting his shirt be pulled over his head. “Then don’t,” Another quick kiss. They forgot their plans for the movie and dinner and just loved each other. Even with Reed’s permission, Desmond finally kept his promise and went slowly. Clothes were peeled away between long kisses, shoes and sock kicked off as they tumbled in the sheets. Desmond kissed every inch of him, from his forehead, down to his chest and stomach, from his ankles and up to his thighs. Reed felt completely and utterly loved, but he was aching all over.
“Desmond,” Reed leaned down to where Desmond was kneeing at the end of the. He pressed his face to the side of his neck, and then began sucking.
Desmond gasped, grabbing Reed’s shoulders and tilting his head back. “Reed…” He hissed. It was the first time Reed had ever given him a hickey. Reed pulled away, staring at the angry red mark placed right where anybody could see it.
“I need you now, Desmond,” he whispered in Desmond’s ear before falling back against the bed. Desmond’s hand flew up to his neck and Reed saw him gulp once more. He crawled up and kissed Reed, then pressed his forehead against Reed’s.
“I love you,” Desmond said, green eyes piercing Reed’s brown eyes.
“I love you, too,” They were both smiling, and Reed almost felt giddy. He couldn’t ever remember being this happy with another person. Desmond kissed him again, and licked a trail back down his body, stopping where his aching groin being. His erection was almost touching his stomach, and the fluids leaking from it were. Desmond lapped at it like a cat would at milk, being careful not to touch his erection.
“Damn it, Des, stop teasing,” Reed gasped, threading his fingers through Desmond’s short hair. He heard Desmond chuckle, and then gasped when he finally took Reed into his mouth. Reed moaned and threw his head back as Desmond sucked on him hard, his mouth hotter than anything Reed had ever experienced before. Reed bucked every time Des bobbed, and Desmond had to use his hands to hold him down. His tongue eventually pressed against a sensitive spot, and Reed would have come right then if Desmond didn’t lock his fingers in a tight circle around the base of his erection.
“Desmond…” he whined, looking at him pleadingly.
He chuckled, leaning forward again, but reaching past him and for the bedside cabinet. “Don’t worry, Reed,” Desmond pulled away again, holding a condom and a small thing of lube. “I’ll keep my promise this time,” He winked and kissed Reed again, lightly shoving his legs up so they were bent against his chest. Reed closed his eyes when one of Desmond’s slicked fingers pushed its way inside him and kept them closed as another two forced themselves inside. It always hurt at first, but then Desmond crooked his fingers and they pressed against his prostate, sending pleasure throughout his body.
“Now Desmond,” Reed pleaded, rocking his hips towards Desmond.
“Are you sure?” Desmond asked, withdrawing his fingers and reaching for the condom.
“Yes,” Desmond nodded, and quickly pulled the condom on. Reed held his breath as Des pushed his legs further against his chest and thrust in quickly. Reed cried out, but was silence when Desmond took advantage of his open mouth. The two kissed heatedly, Des slowly stroking Reed’s erection back to life. They parted and stared.
“Ready?” Des asked, moving his hand from his cock to his pelvis. Reed nodded and Des pulled out slowly, thrusting back in at the same slow pace. They rocked together slowly, their gasps and sighs filling the room. Reed went between clutching the sheets and touching, gripping Desmond. The slow pace and Desmond’s heat, filling him, and his scent, surrounding him, was all too much.
“Desmond… faster…” Reed begged, desperately rocking against Desmond.
Des chuckled, a bit breathless this time, as sweat slid down the side of his face. “I thought you asked me to go slow,” he panted, not quickening his pace in the least. In fact, he held onto the backs of Reed’s thighs even tighter, forcing him to stay still.
“I never said that,” Reed gasped, twisting his head from one side to another. “You promised me that. I told you not to hold back,”
He laughed again, as if it were the only sound he knew how to make. A hand came up and cupped Reed’s face, forcing him to hold it still briefly. “You’re just too cute Reed,” Another deep kiss.
Reed took the opportunity to move his free leg, wrapping it around Desmond’s waist and pulling him in closer. He kneed at the depth of Desmond’s thrust. Des all but growled in his throat, and all the effort Des had put into making this time slow went out the window. He drew back so far he almost slipped out, and then slammed back in. Their skin slapped with each harsh thrust, and Reed didn’t bother to hold back his shouts. He tried his best to watch Des, as his face twisted in bliss. Reed loved knowing that it was he who was wringing those expressions, those soft cries from him. He squeezed down on Des’ erection, and was offered a deep moan.
“Desmond,” He gasped, wrapping his arms around Des’ neck. “Des…Des…” The hand around his erection quickened and Reed couldn’t stop himself from ejaculating. He called Desmond’s name one more time, and with the muscles contracting around him, Des followed soon after.
They collapsed onto the bed, tangled in each other’s arms. Reed pressed kisses across Des’ chest as he brought one of his white sheets around the two, throwing his condom into the nearby wastebasket. They murmured ‘I love you’ to each other once more they both feel asleep.
--
It was hours later. The two had woken up, ordered, and then dived into two boxes of pizza. The two chatted as they feasted on the poor pizzas, and then proceed to make love several more times. Eventually they were forced to stop when Desmond realized that Reed couldn’t properly stand up. So now the two lay side by side, listening to the rock music playing softly from the speakers in the other room. Reed smiled as Desmond ran his fingers up and down his bare arm. Once more the sheet was wrapped over them, and they were both naked underneath. Reed thought happily of the stunned pizza delivery man when Desmond, ever the forgetful one, forgot that he was naked when he answered the door.
“I love your smile,” Reed looked up at Desmond who was propped up on his elbow, staring back at him with his own smile.
“You say the cheesiest things,” Reed said, pulling Desmond down for a kiss. His lips were sore from kissing him so many times, but he just couldn’t stop it.
“Nobody’s perfect,” Desmond responded when he pulled away. Reed chuckled lightly, bringing his fingers down the side of his face. The dark stubble had grown in the last few hours.
“Can I ask you something?” Reed asked suddenly needing to know.
“Beside that, sure,” Desmond said, pushing himself up a little more.
“Why did you dye your hair blonde?”
“Oh, this?” Des ran his fingers through his own hair. “Well, I did it for Shilo,” His heart clenched as jealousy reared his ugly head. Reed tried to hide his scowl as Des kept talking. “It was in my Senior year, and Shy had decided to dye his hair pink. It’s not like he hadn’t dyed it before, but this was the first time he was going to bleach it, so he asked me if I would be a test dummy. My hair was really long then, but Shy’s was short and we would have needed more dye so he cut it, and then bleached it. Then, I don’t know, I just never changed it,”
Desmond caught his look before Reed could make it disappear. “What?” he asked, leaning towards him. “Are you… jealous?”
“Just because Shilo asked, you cut and dyed your hair?” Reed asked, not looking at him.
Des shrugged. “Who cares? It’s just hair,”
“But you haven’t changed it since…” Reed mumbled, hating how he’d just ruined the good feeling surrounding them. He continued to avoid Desmond’s eye as he stared at him. Suddenly, Desmond rolled off of the bed, striding out of the bedroom.
“Desmond?” Reed asked, suddenly fearful. He pulled himself out of bed, wincing slightly. He used the walls to help support him as he followed Des to the bathroom. There, he found Des digging through a bathroom drawer. Out came a razor.
“Hey!” Reed shouted, grabbing at his arm. “What do you think you’re doing?”
“I’m shaving my head, of course,” Desmond said, lightly prying Reed’s fingers off him. “Like I said, it’s just hair to me. You, however, think it’s some sort of lingering attachment I have to Shilo. So, for you, I’m going bald. Then I’ll grow it back in my natural hair color. OK?” he asked, leaning down and knocking his forehead against Reed’s.
Reed stared at him, biting his lip slightly. “I…” He didn’t want to say how much he loved that Des was doing this for him. He closed his eyes and brought his hands up, holding either side of his head. “Just… let me touch it, OK? It’ll be a while until it’s long enough to put my hands in it again,”
“Anything you want, babe,” Desmond said, straightening. Reed watched them in the mirror as his ran his fingers through his hair, tugging at it and twisting it. Slowly, he let his hands drop to Des’ shoulders, then chest, before he nodded.
“OK. Go ahead,” Desmond smiled at him and turned to look in the mirror. He turned on the electric razor and made the first shave. Reed watched, transfixed, as the blonde hair fell to the bathroom floor. Minutes later, when the razor’s buzz finally turned off and Des stood there, bald as a baby; he turned to look at Reed, running a hand over his head.
“Well? What do you think?” he asked, a little uncertainly. Reed’s answer came in the form of him flinging his arms around Desmond’s neck and kissing him passionately.
“Maybe I should just stay bald, eh?” Des asked, one eyebrow arched. They both laughed.
The next day when the two of them showed up for work, there wasn’t a pair of eyes that weren’t watching on them. Shilo, apparently, had told the whole staff about Desmond and Reed’s relationship. But, of course, there were also stares to the fact that Desmond was now bald. Reed had never been so glad for work to start so he could avoid his coworkers embarrassing comments (“Oh, so that’s how that stain got on the bar,”). What was best was watching the women costumers stare at Desmond in shock and horror, a few in disgust, due to his new bald head.
Reed headed to the bar immediately when work ended, sitting down at a bar stool and staring at Des blankly.
Des raised an eyebrow. “Yes, sir? What do you want?”
Reed reached over and pulled at Des’ tie, pulling him over the bar for a kiss. “What’ll that cost?” he joked.
Desmond grinned back at him. “On the house tonight, sir. Anything else?” He leaned over the counter expectantly, but Reed turned his stool around so he faced the other way.
“Perhaps we should keep you bald,” Reed said casually, looking over at Andromeda, Maria, and Shilo, who were all staring at them and whispering. “It’s quite the female repellent,”
“Aw, but I like the females,” Two arms wrapped around his shoulders. “Not as much as I love you, of course,” he added quickly. Reed smiled and said nothing, watching as Shilo started to walk over to them. “Hey, you’re supposed to say ‘I love you’ back,”
“Yeah, Reed, don’t you love him?” Shilo asked, sliding into the bar stool beside him. Both he and Des glowered at him.
“Don’t be mean to my weedy Reedy, Shy,” Reed coughed loudly, choking on his own spit. “I love him most, and I can’t have my best friend hating him,”
Reed spun quickly on the bar stool. “Weedy Reedy?” he demanded, hardly able to get the words out. He could see Shilo trying to hold back his laughter.
“Sure,” Desmond shrugged. “Because my heart is like a field of flowers and your love is like a weed, growing deeply and possessing it, killing the natural flowers forcefully until the only thing living in my heart is your love! Plus, it rhymed with Reed,” he finished lamely. Shilo was now openly laughing, his head buried in his arms on the bar table.
“Desmond, I forbid you from ever calling me that again,” Reed growled, hoping off the stool and marching away. Desmond jumped over the counter after him.
“Hey, don’t be like that! Shy is just a dick!” he caught Reed around the waist, spinning him around. “I just love you,” he leaned down. The touch felt so different now that Desmond’s hair wasn’t touching his forehead.
Reed stayed silent for a moment, before tilting his head and kissing him. “I love you too,” he smiled.
Desmond hugged him tight. “My weedy Reedy,” he sighed.
A resounding smack echoed through the empty bar.
“Idiot,” Reed muttered, watching Desmond stare flabbergasted at him, his cheek reddening brightly. Not quite as bright, however, as the hickey located several inches lower on his neck.
Sign up to rate and review this story