Categories > Games > Final Fantasy X > Necromantia

Prologue

by TrekQueen

Two guardians of a summoner, alike in more ways than they realize, start out on a pilgrimage not knowing what to expect in their futures to come. One already is a seasoned, legendary hero and the o...

Category: Final Fantasy X - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Erotica, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Auron, Lulu - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2006-04-09 - Updated: 2006-04-10 - 1373 words

?Blocked
Disclaimer: I own nothing of the Final Fantasy game worlds and will not make any financial gain from what I write. It is all for my own insane self-indulgence.

Author's Note: This is my second story of the AuronxLu pairing but more of a starting point rather than after the fact, like my story No Regrets. The title is the latin word necromantia (from the root Greek work /nekromantia/) meaning the "divination of the dead." As for the plot and essence of this story, I appreciate and welcome any mature, constructive criticism you may have for me. I have a couple projects/stories in progress right now so I am not sure how quickly I will update this story. I'm probably one of the most anal retentive people on the planet with the way I organize and plan things (want to see the database I made for my wedding?) so this story came as a weird fluke amidst my well planned timeline of fanfiction writing and updating. However, I hope you enjoy nonetheless.

Prologue

/So it begins/, he thought to himself.

Crowds of panicked people rushed past him in a crazed chaos as they struggled to get away from the dangerous fiends that had been loosed in the blitzball stadium. Like a statue he stood, unmoving and unflinching even as the giant reptile monster turned its gaze upon him with fiery, yellow eyes and a heart-stopping roar bellowed past its razor-sharp teeth. Purposefully and almost gracefully he stepped back, positioning himself in front of the creature as it also readied an assault for its confronter. Tossing aside his long sleeve and shifting his stance, he let his arm stretch out with a clenched fist as the chiseled muscles from past training and battles went taut beneath his tanned skin of travel weary years.

The monster roared again in indignation, unfazed by this man standing before him. Glancing over the rim of his glasses with his good eye, his sharp stare would have daunted lesser men but this was no mere mortal before him. The heavy sword hefted upon his shoulder was hardly noticeable to him as he awaited the fiend's first move, the massive blade was an extension of his own body and never tired his grip or hold on it.

The creature finally moved toward him, its pace picking up quickly as it shortened the distance between them. With hardly any exertion, his steel slashed through the body of the fiend with an injurious cut and before the monster could react, other than roar in pain, another swift blow came finishing the fiend's short-lived attack. Resting his weapon back on his shoulder once more, he sought out the other devilry that had invaded the sports arena.

*
The battles of clearing the fiends out of the stadium had given Auron a rush, an almost cleansing sensation renewing his nerves and limbs. It seemed like it was almost yesterday that he had been out with Lord Braska and Jecht on the pilgrimage but yet it also felt to him like decades had passed since the fateful days he had spent with his companions. He wondered to himself how a thing like a memory could be so picture-clear but also faint as it faded into the history of his experiences.

Not stifling a chuckle, Auron smirked as a glare came his way over the shoulder of the blond youth walking before him. Tidus had been glad to have finally found him at Luca Stadium, someone he recognized in the sea of unknown faces and unfamiliar places he had visited thus far. That delight quickly manifested into annoyance and misplaced confusion as Tidus yelled at Auron for having abandoned him with hardly an explanation after seeing the destruction of Zanarkand before his very eyes at the hand of Sin.

Auron could not blame him but yet his words of reason and sense seemed to get Tidus into a thoughtful mode, which always made the young man a little more confused as he tried to mull more over in his mind. At least Auron finally was starting his task that he had promised to both Braska and Jecht to take care of and finish. That was the important thing to do and his purpose from then onward.

Squinting his good eye, Auron could see up ahead the figures of Yuna and her other friends on her pilgrimage. All of them were so young and setting out on a journey that would mean certain death. Yet he had been the same when he decided to join Braska; however, to aid Lady Yuna to do the same as her father, Braska, in defeating Sin seemed distressing for one so young but Auron knew she had the resolve and stubbornness of her father in seeing a duty through to the finish, no matter what the consequences were.

As they neared, he saw them all glance up in his and Tidus' direction. The shocked looks he had expected once they recognized him but Auron had not anticipated his own surprise at finding a pair of eyes, as powerful as the crimson-red glow they emanated, watch him knowingly and ostensibly at ease to peruse his form as he came closer. She seemed familiar to him like one would feel upon seeing an old acquaintance or friend but he knew they had never met previously. She was not much older than Yuna but Auron could sense experience and an unseen knowledge in her that came from one who had seen much and bore heavy burdens. She was the unspoken leader of the group of guardians who knew what to at least expect on the journey, even the unforeseen. She was the adult of them all in mind, spirit, and body underneath the dark exterior she presented, a warning for all to keep their distance but he also felt a little intrigued by the mystery of her allure. Indeed, unexpected.

*
"We hope to make good time across the Highroad and the Thunder Plains since we do not expect much trouble there," she explained to Auron. "That way Yuna can have a moment to relax at the temples if she needs it but also keep a flexibility for travel time if we are... distracted."

/Lulu/, he let the name drip off his tongue in his mind once more. Auron's assessment from a distance had been quite accurate thus far from the conversation he had been having with the black-haired sorceress. After the typical greetings, pleasantries, and official guardian joining duties, Auron had sought out information on the itinerary of the pilgrimage from the one he knew full well would be knowledgeable of such things. He could see Tidus just on the other side of Lulu talking with Yuna, keeping themselves busy as adolescents their age typically would be expected to do.

Auron's gaze switched back to the one before him as she continued on what else she had planned for on the pilgrimage. He knew it was not just a conversation, she was sizing him up and he could tell from the way her irises roved his form like she was searching but once Auron thought he had caught her red-handed, she flicked up her dark eyelashes just in time so that it seemed nothing had been out of place or strange. He glanced away again, noticing Wakka on the other side of the open area, stretching his muscles so that he would not be sore later on down the road, possibly costing a battle if he were not in the best shape. Kimahri also stood a good distance away, mostly watching Yuna closely so that nothing would bring harm to her.

A good troop/, he thought as Lu perked an eyebrow almost as if she had heard his conclusion as well. /I must be cautious with this one.

Seeing that Lulu could be curious and inquisitive to a fault, Auron knew he had to be careful as to not let his secret be known or become too obvious. If anyone were to discover it, he knew it would be her but would she confront him with the truth she has realized or simply keep it to herself? All in good time, he assured himself.
Sign up to rate and review this story