Categories > Games > Final Fantasy X > Necromantia

Nemesis

by TrekQueen

The Mi'ihen Highroad is full of surprises and secrets.

Category: Final Fantasy X - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Auron, Lulu, Tidus, Wakka, Yuna - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-04-21 - Updated: 2006-04-21 - 1918 words

?Blocked
Disclaimer: I own nothing of the Final Fantasy game worlds and will not make any financial gain from what I write. It is all for my own insane self-indulgence.

Author's Note: I'm glad people are enjoying the story thus far! I have lots more to come. :)

Chapter Two: Nemesis

"It's a quiet morning."

"Yes," Auron agreed as they stood outside the Travel Agency on the Mi'ihen Highroad. "A calming silence."

"Besides the Aeon battle Yuna had with Lady Belgemine," Lu added. "We haven't been waylaid much."

"We certainly do not need too many distractions," Auron said. "Though, testing Yuna's strength and connection with the Aeons are worth the time spent."

"Whatever will help prepare her for that day," Lu agreed, then turned her gaze to the inn lobby. "Is everyone awake yet?"

"Not quite," the swordsman answered.

Lu nodded, knowing she was much the early riser and that both Wakka and Tidus more than likely required more rest to recuperate after the tournament and long walk on the Highroad in the same day.

"We are far enough along the Highroad that we should get to Djose Temple by this late afternoon," Lu said.

She had noticed how she was lately telling Auron their travel plans since he had arrived. Mostly it was Lu's own way of reminding herself of the plotted path she and Yuna had devised before the start of the pilgrimage. Though, Lu also wondered if Auron might inform her of any ideas, changes, or warnings. He certainly was well acquainted with the temples and places in Spira without needing a reminder. Yet, he seemed to also be sincerely interested in what she had to say.

"A good estimate," Auron said. "However, I have a feeling the strange tranquility we have noticed will not last long."

"There is always something that can get in the way," Lu added.

"The 'operation' we've been hearing about from the Crusaders might be problematic," Auron said, looking into the distance. "We must not let it distract us, though."

"We will have to keep an eye on Wakka then," Lu responded. "He is still worked up about their usage of machina."

"It will have to be a test of his convictions," he answered. "A first of many we will all face before we reach Zanarkand."

"Very true," Lu said, almost too quietly that it caught Auron's attention.

A scream ripped through the still air of the quiet morning, jarring them both into their self-trained readiness that came with being a guardian. The scream was followed quickly with a yell for help for the chocobos. Lu knew immediately it had to be the large fiend they had been warned about. Turning to Auron, she found he had disappeared. However, a moment later he stepped out of the inn with the others.

"To the chocobo corral!" she told them. *

The feeling of the ground shaking and rumbling meant they did not have far to go. A frenzy of commotion ensued as several chocobos ran past them, forcing Lu to dodge one of the large birds in an effort to avoid being trampled. A roar caught their attention and looking to the roof of the inn, they caught sight of the huge fiend.

Lu took a defensive posture and noted the others had as well; although, Yuna was kept on the back to keep her furthest from danger. Lu watched as the fiend jumped down to meet them, causing Auron and Wakka to scurry quickly to a safer position. The monster was bigger than the typical fiends they dealt with but that was expected considering the gaping mouth of razor-sharp teeth big enough to swallow a chocobo whole. It roared in pain a moment later as the chocobo it held bit into the fiend's hand. Fleeing its predator, the yellow bird hurried past them.

Checking the other guardians and their positions, Auron glanced around their surroundings to see if anything else could be of use to them. It was then he saw the cliff behind the creature but also realized there was another precipice behind them as well. I told him it would mean trouble, Auron thought to himself,/ just like Jecht./

Unexpectedly Auron noticed Lu look his way and found their eyes meet. The air around her was alive as she focused and channeled her strongest powers and energies to cast upon the vile creature. The twinkle in her eye said everything he needed to know before she turned her sight back to the fiend. An inferno erupted around the creature as Lu stretched out her arm, bringing an assault upon her enemy with her black magic. Following in the wake of the fire, Auron ran forward to strike a brutal blow to the main torso but was blocked by the massive arm of the monster.

"Hmph!" he grunted but dodged out of the way as the fiend tried to slam him with its huge fist.

Rallying behind Auron, Tidus flung himself into the battle with several hard hits to its other arm as Wakka and Kimahri tried to strike and pierce places left vulnerable. Overwhelmed by the beating, the fiend tumbled backward onto its back and closer to the edge of the cliff.

"Now, hit it hard so we can push it back!" yelled Lulu to everyone around her. *

Auron knew she had recognized the same opportunity as he did of sending the fiend to its death at the bottom of the precipice. Taking another chance to attack the fiend in its weak moment, Auron charged forward with an unstoppable assault on the creature unable to defend itself. Hearing a short gasp of pain, he turned to find Lu doubled-over as a hail of snow enveloped her after being cast by the fiend, but it was only for a moment. Her annoyance at being hit with the same black magic flared in her eyes as she quickly recovered from her hit. Fire burned outward from her hands roasting and tearing at the flesh of the monster that dared injure her.

It was on its feet again with a slight rocking motion and it was not happy with the guardians and summoner getting in the way of its meal. It took a swipe at Auron with its large fist but it only grazed him, knocking him over to the ground. However, Tidus was not as quick and got the last brunt of the blow. Yuna, with worry and concern written across her face, ran to her fallen comrade to perform her healing magic to bring Tidus' strength back. Sounds of ice shattering brought Auron's attention back as Lu was showered with another blizzard of ice and snow, taking her to her knees. It did not stop her from sending another volley of blazing heat upon the creature, but it was taking her a longer time to stand once more.

"Yuna!" Lu yelled to the summoner as she stood. "You must stay back! You can still cast from a distance!"

The swordsman knew that Lu did not see the fist of the creature coming at her as she kept her attention on keeping Yuna out of danger. Without time for a warning, Auron hastened toward the black mage knowing that the blow could possibly hurt her a great deal more than it did to himself or Tidus, who only got a portion of the lasting swing. Here, Lu would get the full impact if she did not get out of the way. Her eyes went wide for a moment as she finally saw the limb flying her way but felt the breath knocked out of her as she fell to the ground, a familiar red coat fighter taking her downward as the fiend missed them with barely a half meter of air between them.

The former warrior monk wasted no time as he raised himself again to face the monster. Lu pulled out a glass vial from her sleeve and quickly drank the liquid inside, feeling the potion's power returning her health and energy. Turning around, she found Yuna had helped Tidus to return to the fight and they all once again were ready to bring their full might against the fiend.

Flames erupted around the creature again, fire and brimstone eating away at its skin. Stumbling incoherently and confused, the monster dropped its guard letting a barrage of hits and stabs from the entourage continue unabated. It took a step back to move away from its enemies but it was too far. Feeling itself fall, the fiend clawed at the air as the ground at the edge of the cliff crumbled, unable to hold its massive weight. Auron nodded at the others as they danced and jumped in triumph but a steely glare met him when he looked to Lu. There was no time to question Lu about her irritation towards him as the crowd of people from inside the inn converged on where they stood, congratulating them on a job well done.

*
"How do you ride one of these things?" Tidus asked as Wakka hefted him into the saddle of a chocobo.

"Hold on and steer it with the reins," Wakka told him. "Not too hard, ya?"

"Why aren't any of you doing this?" Tidus questioned from high above. "Does it always have to be me trying things out?"

"We've all done it before," Wakka said with a shrug and crossed his arms over his chest. "Now, get going!"

With a slap on its hindquarters from Wakka, the chocobo took off at a quick run with Tidus holding on for dear life. His yells were echoing off the cliffs and across the valleys below as Yuna and Wakka chased after him. Kimahri ran not far behind, not wanting to let Yuna out of his sight.

Auron followed but at his own, slower pace taking his time as they passed over a bridge to the lower fields of the Mi'ihen Highroad. Lulu walked ahead of him at a steady walk but it seemed more like heavy-footed to Auron. He had noticed her displeasure at the end of the battle with the chocobo fiend but was not certain what she could be troubled about. Lu's annoyance was directed solely at him and it struck him strange that she would be in such a state after a victory. However, as Lu turned to face him with her dark gaze upon him, Auron knew he was about to find out. Stopping in front of Lu where she had halted in the path, Auron contemplated her but did not let her know that he had realized anything was wrong.

"That was not a smart move back there," Lu told him, her voice as cold as a blizzard breeze from one of her spells. "You could have gotten us both killed."

His boisterous laugh came unexpectedly to Lu, but she stood her ground.

"You're welcome," Auron said with amusement. "A badly injured guardian or the loss of one is not what Yuna needs at the beginning of her pilgrimage. What I did was to avoid that."

"I don't need anyone to be a hero for me," she said unemotionally.

"Who said I was?" he asked pointedly.

"Let me fight my battles," she said quietly and in a tone that denoted it was the end of the conversation and she said all that she needed to say.

"I see," Auron said and followed her down the path of the Highroad.


* Quotes from the game script of Final Fantasy X.
Sign up to rate and review this story