Categories > TV > Will and Grace

Not Easy to Say Goodbye

by debodun

Karen and Jack are happy with each other's company, but the happiness isn't destined to last much longer.

Category: Will and Grace - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-05-23 - Updated: 2006-05-23 - 1243 words - Complete

?Blocked
NEVER EASY TO SAY GOODBYE

Clouds had blanketed New York for several days now and cast a dismal pall over everything, but on that day the weather had broken. A steady rain pelted down as Jack and Karen were having supper in a new upscale bistro that had just opened for business that week. This was the first time in days that they had chance to socialize together. Both had been preoccupied with other things and were happy to finally have a chance to get together and gossip about their mutual acquaintances. But the enjoyment wasn't destined to last very long.

The drinks they had ordered arrived and they were still waiting for the food when three men wearing ski hoods rushed into the restaurant. Quickly looking around, the one wielding a firearm saw Jack, who didn't look like a man that wouldn't put up much of a resistance, and the petite Karen. They were the easiest targets. He made a grab for Karen and pressed a revolver into the side of her head. "Nobody move, or I'll shoot the lady," he threatened gruffly as the accomplices went from table to table relieving the other patrons of their money and jewelry. They even cleaned out the cash registers. Jack shifted in his chair. Almost instantly the man holding Karen drew back on the pistol's hammer, cocking it for readiness. "If I were you, I wouldn't try anything stupid, bud, if you want to see your girlfriend alive five minutes from now."
Fearing for Karen, Jack stayed in his seat, staring at the gun and the terror on Karen's face, his heart pounding, feeling frustrated - powerless to do anything to stop the nightmare. The crooks were very thorough, even smashing the coin boxes of the vending machines and scooping the contents into their bags. They were almost finished when several police cruisers pulled up outside with lights flashing and sirens blaring. Someone must have been able to slip out and call the authorities.

It was then that Jack noticed only the robber that was holding Karen displayed a weapon. When the crooks were momentarily distracted by the new development, Jack saw his chance and lunged toward the armed bandit, knocking the gun away from Karen. He and the crook both began to grapple with the gun between them as the police poured into the restaurant. Suddenly, the muffled sound of a pistol shot echoed through the room. A look of shock appeared on Jack's face as he pulled away from the thief. With an anguished expression, Jack dropped to his knees as a red stain rapidly spread on his shirtfront. Karen screamed. The thief started to bolt away but a couple of policeman rushed over and handcuffed the attacker and led him off. Another officer made a quick call on his radio for assistance. Jack was now having trouble breathing. He collapsed onto the floor. Karen, with tears in her eyes, knelt next to him, cradling his head in her lap.
"Don't worry, lady, an ambulance is on the way," the officer said, but Karen hardly heard him. Her attention was riveted on Jack.
"Kare," Jack gasped, "I...I'm not going...to make it."
Karen did not want to think about life without her poodle - his acerbic wit which was so much like hers, and more importantly, his support and friendship. He had saved her and now he lay seriously wounded on the floor of the restaurant where just a few short moments ago, they had been so happy

"No...don't say that! Everything is going to be all right," she whispered, trying to convince herself more than anyone else as she caressed his face. Even though she was married, seeing her hero laying there as his face grew paler by the second, made her realize, at that moment, that he was the only one that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.
"Hold on, Jackie, try to hold on. Help is coming," she begged as she leaned over - her face close to his.
"Tell...tell Will and Grace...my mom and...Elliot...I loved them. I love you too...Kare. More than...anything. Never forget that," he said barely audible. "We're soul mates."
Suddenly, it seemed as if they were the only two people in the world. The restaurant, the police and the bystanders melted away as their lips touched. They had kissed each other before, but this time it seemed to mean so much more - a sweet yet sad kiss, like he was saying goodbye. When they finally separated, he looked longingly into Karen's eyes.
"I'll be waiting for you...no matter how long...I'll be there..." he trailed off as his eyes became dull and the lids slowly closed. The police felt his wrist and sadly shook his head. Karen wailed and sobbed uncontrollably, raining down tears just as the sky was doing on that awful night.

Jack's small circle of family and friends were shocked and deeply saddened by his sudden and unexpected passing, but Karen was devastated. Despite Will and Grace's efforts to console her, she still felt empty and lonely. At his funeral, Karen tried to hold it in, but just before the casket was closed, she wanted to take one last look. When she saw his pale face and the eyes that were now closed, forever hiding the azure twinkle they once had, she completely lost it. Will and Grace went up and stood on each side of her for moral and physical support, even as tears streamed down from their own eyes.

As badly as she felt, she tried to carry on for the months following. She especially wanted to see the miscreants brought to justice. Even though he was a corporate attorney, Will acted as prosecutor at their trial. It was the last thing he could do for Jack, and he wanted more than anything to see them get stiff sentences. He wasn't disappointed. It was life for the gunman and 25 years each for the others. Karen's tearful testimony definitely helped the case.

A few weeks after the judgment, Karen was standing by a gravestone in the gloom of a dreary late winter afternoon while her limo waited at the gate of the cemetery. She knelt down and placed a dozen red roses in front of it just as she had one on the anniversary day of each month since the tragedy. "You've been gone six months now, Jackie" she spoke softly. "It's still hard for me to realize it." She paused for a few moments, then swallowed hard as she continued. "Just...just give me a sign if you want me to come and be with you."

At that moment, a small area of clouds parted and illuminated the headstone in a glowing orange light of the setting sun, making his name stand out. A tear trickled down Karen's cheek, but she was smiling as she walked slowly back to the limo and slid into the back seat. As the vehicle started to carry her back to her urban penthouse, she reached into her purse and extracted a prescription bottle and upended the contents into her mouth, then washed it down with a few swallows of her ubiquitous bottle of vodka. "I'm coming, Jackie," she whispered as darkness closed in around her. She just couldn't accept the loss of her dearest friend. It was never easy for her to say goodbye.
Sign up to rate and review this story