Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Different Sort of Bond

Chapter Eight

by Balder

An unusual mishap in Sixth Year Potions makes Harry and Daphne Greengrass spend a lot of time together.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Humor,Romance - Characters: Harry,Neville - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-03-20 - 2170 words

?Blocked
A Different Sort of Bond Chapter 8

Disclaimer: I do not own the Potterverse!

Author’s Note: I need a Beta who doesn't mind that I'm writing this rather fast. Also be thou warned, there is a frank conversation about "that time of the month" in this chapter.


Daphne dragged him to their common room, "Trace? Nev? You here?"

"We're here," Tracey called out. "Just studying."

"I introduced Tracy to Bob today," Neville said.

Daphne asked, "Who's Bob?"

"My Carnivorous vine." Neville said, "he liked her."

"You still have all your fingers I hope?" Daphne asked with a smile.

"Bob's never attacked a wizard," Neville defended. "He's a good plant."

Tracey wiggled her fingers, "See? All ten."

"Neville's good with plants," Harry said. "Even the dangerous ones."

"Yeah, he was amazing with it," Tracey agreed.

Neville flushed at the praise. "It's not that hard," he said.

"I'm sure he's excellent," Daphne said. "I always hear good things about him and Herbology."

Harry nodded, "Best in the class."

"I also sent my father the letter," Tracey said.

"Tracey wants her father to hire me." Neville said with a flush

"Well first I just want him to buy more from you," Tracey corrected. "That will get you more pocket money and hopefully a little more respect from your family."

"Gran would probably like you better than she does me." he said embarrassed, looking down at the skirt that Tracey had loaned him. For the time being he was wearing her clothes except for robes. He was using his old Gryffindor robes resized with a spell.

"So anyway," Daphne said. "How do you like my outfit? I took extra pains on it today."

"I don't know why," Harry added wryly. "Her first suggestion was to not wear anything."

Tracey giggled, "And you objected to her being naked in front of Neville?"

Daphne smirked, "No, he objected because I wanted him to come out here naked too."

"Do all Slytherins have no modesty?" Harry asked with a flush.

"No, that's just her," Tracey said. "She's the least ladylike pureblood you'll ever meet. Not that I'm against seeing cute boys naked but I don't think I could be as blunt and earthy as Daphne even if I tried."

"Me either." Harry said honestly.

“It’s because of my parents,” Daphne replied. “They kept using the traditional pureblood customs of so-called ladylike behavior to control my life. I saw through it and refuse to give it more than lip service like the wiser members of Slytherin do. It’s useful to know because others believe but mostly bullshit.” She sighed, “I just wish Tori hadn’t been taken in. She considers all the truth with a capital t.”

They maneuvered to a couch and sat in unison. Their movements were getting smoother as the days passed and they got used to moving in sync.

Neville grinned at Harry, "So, you ask her out yet?"

Daphne looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

"How did you know I was going to ask her out?" Harry asked embarrassed.

"Because you actually like her, and she's not shy about admitting she likes you," Neville said.

"You're a wise man," Daphne said.

Tracey said, "I notice you picked his clothes too. He looks less like a ragamuffin than usual."

"She transfigured some of my old clothes," Harry muttered embarrassed.

"You do look nice Harry," Hermione said as she walked in. "I brought all the assignments for the four of you." She put down a bag, "If you need help just let me know."

Harry smiled, "Thanks Hermione."

"I would actually like your help with something Hermione," Daphne said.

The others listened as they started to go through their assignments.

"I wanted to ask you how much Muggles know of reproductive biology," Daphne stated. "From comments by Harry I'm sure they must know more than I was taught."

Harry said, "High School is when students are usually taught. We were all here before then."

Hermione nodded but added, "Girls are often given the info sooner because they need it and the boys don't want to learn more than they have to. Do you want an overview or do you have a specific question?"

Tracey stood and said "Come on Neville, let's study in my room. You probably don't want to hear this and I'll keep you company."

Neville nodded, "Right." He stood as well, getting up with the homework, "Hey... I've been meaning to ask, Do you want to do something this Hogsmeade weekend? Like a date?"

She smiled, "Sure, I'd like that." She gathered her work and lead him into her room.

Harry flushed, "I'd offer to give you privacy myself, but I can't right now." he said, as Neville and Tracey left.

"You're likely to see it in action soon Harry," Daphne said. "No reason to be shy hearing about it." She turned to Hermione, "Go ahead with your overview Hermione then I'll ask my question."

"I suppose I should start with asking what do you KNOW?"

"I know I bleed once a month for between 5 and 9 days and that I'm not fertile then. Also that if you get pregnant you don't do that." Daphne frowned, "And that the wizarding world has a piss poor way of dealing with it and keeping it from staining your clothes."

She gave her overview of the general facts and revived Harry when he fainted the scolded him. “Honestly Harry! You need to get over this childishness. There is nothing wrong or bad about any of this. It’s completely natural and you need to hear it too so you can help if she needs it.”

Harry sheepishly nodded, “I’ll try Hermione but its a bit shocking the first time you hear it. Especially the matter of fact way you just said, well, everything.”

Daphne smiled, “Actually, that made me like you more. Matter of fact is how it should be presented. Nothing mystical about biology and it shouldn’t be any worse than discussing any other bodily functions. Not something to bring up over tea perhaps but nothing to be hidden in secrecy and whispered about either.”

Hermione nodded then asked, "How do purebloods deal with it?" She asked, "We Muggleborn usually use pads or tampons."

"We are given wadded silk or cotton to stick in our underwear to hopefully soak it up before it causes stains or embarrasses us. There are also one or two spells that help that but are distinctly uncomfortable. I guess what you call pads are something like that. What are tampons though?"

"Basically absorbent cotton inserts." She said, "You put them directly inside."

"And they prevent it from leaking out?" Daphne asked. "How well?"

"Quite well usually, but I normally use a panty liner just in case." She said. But they’re thin enough not to notice from outside even when I’m not in robes.

"Can you bring samples next time so I can see?" Daphne asked. "And which do you recommend?"

"I use Tampons myself." She said, reaching into her bag and pulling out a small box then removing one and handing it over. "Like these."

"Are they hard to conjure or transfigure?" Daphne asked. "I can hardly go buy myself a box. Especially connected like this."

"I suppose not, It's just cotton." She said, handing her a tampon and the instructions to it, and smiling as Harry seemed to be trying to do anything but be connected at this moment.

"Harry is very good at conjuration," Hermione said with a mischievous glint in her eye. "He is strong enough that his conjurations last the longest of any I've seen. Maybe you should ask him to help?"

Harry sputtered, "Me? Make a tampon?" he asked, white as a sheet, "I'm not too sure about that."

Daphne offered the one in her hands to him, "I'm not that good at conjuration and I'd hate to take Hermione's. Maybe you could try it using this tampon of hers as a template?"

"It's a tampon." he complained, but did take the device in his hands, "the inserter will be the hard part." he said.

"And I certainly hope you get it right. I'd hate to injure myself there," Daphne said half-joking.

"I need to try to transfigure one first." Harry said.

Hermione hands over a pen, "This is about the right size and shape."

Harry nodded, taking the pen, and then dissecting the Tampon to get a good sense of the insides. Eventually he wound up transfiguring two new tampons from the shredded remains of the old one and the pen. It was embarrassing to envision but it seemed to be an exact copy.

He handed it to Hermione who examined it and nodded, "That's good Harry. Now can you conjure one? If you can you can help Daphne with her period without needing anything but your wand."

"Conjurations always disappear though," Daphne said. "I'd hate for it to vanish at the wrong time."

"Hermione," Harry complained with a bit of whine in his voice.

"Yes Harry, I know it’s harder but I'm sure you could if necessary."

Harry sighed, then did as instructed, The same quality, but destined to disappear.

Hermione smiled, "There, see? You did it. And with conjured material you never need worry about disposal as it can be vanished quite easily." She gave Harry a look then turned to Daphne, "I'm sure he'll help you any way you need. There are a bit hard to put in one handed ... especially at first."

"Well thank you for answering my questions and for the box," Daphne said. "I'll try to do it myself but its nice to know that Harry can help create them and place them."

Hermione nodded and went to tell the others she was finished and ask if Tracey wanted to hear about the subject too.

"Do I get a say in this?" Harry asked, mildly freaked out at the idea of putting something up there for her.

"Of course Potter," Daphne drawled. "If you'd rather I bleed on my clothes rather than help I can’t stop you."

Harry frowned, "It’s not that." he said, "I mean... I'd like to help. I'm just a little freaked out about the location of the help."

Daphne nodded, "Well its a day or two away so you'll have time to get used to the idea and I will try to do it myself but if I need help can I count on you or should I ask Tracey to stand by just in case?" Then she smiled and added, "Bearing in mind that we'll likely both be naked at the time."

"I'll help." he said with a sigh

She kissed his cheek, "Thank you Harry."

Harry blushed, "You're welcome."

"You'll make a good boyfriend Potter," Daphne said. Then paused and added, "I guess I should start using your first name all the time huh?"

"I'd like that." he chuckled.

Tracey came back into the room with the other two, "All safe now? Nothing to make Neville faint?"

"I don't think so." Harry said.

"Just whispering sweet nothings in his ear," Daphne said.

Harry laughed, "Right now, I wish you had," he said.

"Oh really?" Daphne said. Then she leaned close and whispered in his ear, "You'll get to sleep with your girlfriend tonight."

Tracey giggled, she hadn't heard what Daphne said but doubted it was very "sweet".

Harry blushed but smiled, "I already knew that." he said.

Neville smiled, "So, do I even want to know what happened in here?" he asked.

Daphne smirked, "If you do I'll tell you. That way I won't have to ask Hermione to tell Trace in private."

Harry shook his head emphatically, trying to tell Neville no.

"Right.... I guess I'll not ask then," Neville said, a bit nervously.

Daphne's smirk became an evil grin, "Don't you want to learn the mysteries of that time of the month for women Neville?"

Tracey rolled her eyes, "No breaking Neville! I'm just getting used to him and I like him just as he is."

"I'm hoping not to be female long enough," he said redfaced.

"Well let's get started on homework," Hermione said. "I asked Ronald to come with me but he declined when he heard I was coming to study."

"You should have told him we were planning to drink and talk quidditch," Daphne said. "In my experience that'll get any normal boy to attend."

"I don't usually lie," Hermione said.

"That's what Potter said," Daphne replied. "He says a lot of good things about you."

"Hermione's like a sister to me." harry said, noticing the slightly jealous tone.

"I guess I should be glad she has bad taste," Daphne said.

"Ron is not bad taste," Hermione protested with a flush.

"If you say so," Daphne said. "I am personally glad you like him. It left Harry free."

Harry blushed, "Alright, can we stop talking about me like I'm not here?" He asked

"Certainly dear," Daphne said.
Sign up to rate and review this story