Categories > Original > Drama

Miles Away

by dreamingofvamps2005

SHINee--When SM decides to debut SHINee in the US, the members must go undercover for a year and live separately in hopes to become "Americanized". When Minho finds the girl of his dreams, the rest...

Category: Drama - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Drama,Erotica,Romance - Published: 2013-03-20 - 2399 words

?Blocked
Chapter One - Just another day at the office…or is it?

April 21st 2013,

I stood the mirror applying my make-up as I did every afternoon. My hair was straightened and my usual Front Desk uniform was on. I looked down at my slouching pants, I was going to have to a smaller size soon. I put on a pair of socks and got my shoes on. I grabbed my purse and kissed the top of my boyfriends head. He was still asleep. I purred a goodbye to him as I decided it would be best just to leave instead of trying to waking him up.

I got into my 2003 Silver Chevy Impala. I turned my CD player on and SHINee’s “Lucifer” began to bump through the speakers in my car. I began singing along with it. Only getting the gist of what they were singing about as I always do.

I arrived at work about 5 minutes later. I stayed out in the car, Lucifer still playing as I took out my phone and glanced though it to see I had a text message. It was from my boyfriend, I quickly replied to him before turning off my car. I got another text message from him.

Are you hitting the gym again after work baby?

G

I replied that I probably would after my shift got over at 11 pm. It was the best time to go since not very many people worked out or in my case, was using the dance room at that time. I didn’t even notice a black rental car pull up next to me. I opened the car door, and glanced at the car not really thinking anything of the tall oriental man getting out of it. He was well dressed, that I noticed, but didn’t think to really look at him as I made my way into the Hampton Inn with my purse in hand. I figured he was probably a guest wanting to check in.

I made it to the automatic doors first as I glanced at the counter and saw Sarah, Alexis and Ana standing there.

“Hey Guys! How goes it?”

“It goes good Crystal, how about you?”

“I’m good!”

“Crystal! Have you seen my Korean exchange worker? He’s supposed to be here any minute.”

“No Ana I have--you hired another exchange worker? When?” I said interrupting myself.

“Yes, I need somebody to help Tom out you know…”

“Let me guess on one of my days off I bet.”

“Yes, I think I hired him…Wednesday.”

“Oh, where’s he from? You know what? I’ll see him when I get back I’m gonna go clock in.” I said making my way down the hallway, seeing that Sarah was getting impatient out from the corner of my eye. I was half way to the laundry/break room when I heard the automatic doors come open.

“Oh there you are….how are you doing Mi--” I opened the door to the laundry room. I went to the break room and took my time card out of its slot and slid it. The display said “Crystal Holden Punch Accepted” I heard Ana and the new employee talk about uniforms. I put my lunch in the fridge. I spun around and for the first time I came face to face with the new employee. In his hands he was carrying his new housemen outfit.

“Hello.” The man said, his eyes meeting mine for split moment and a small smile lined his mouth. I felt my jaw drop. I know him! Those eyes, that’s…Minho, from SHINee.

“Hey!” I said, as I stopped for a moment and watched him walk into the employee bathroom. As soon as the door closed, I drew in a deep breath. “What the fuck is he doing here?” I muttered to myself. I quickly gathered myself and went out to my station at the front desk.

“Crystal are you okay?” Alexis asked looking at me.

“I’m fine why do you ask?” I asked looking at Alexis. She wore light blue eye shadow today. It looked pretty on her.

“Cause you look like you seen a ghost…” Alexis said.

“Yeah Crystal, did you see the new employee? He’s hot isn’t he?” Sarah said, wrinkling her nose as she always did when she was talking. “She’s probably shocked by the hotness of that Korean guy Alexis…” Sarah teased.

“Um, I only saw a glimpse of him.” I said, shrugging. There was no way I was going to let them know who he was. I was keeping that shit to myself.

“He was so polite and proper when he talked to Ana, he called us noona’s…whatever that means…” Sarah said looking at me from the corner of her eye as she turned her attention to the log book.

“Well I’m still waiting for Ana to finish the due out rooms, also, room 425 the guests in that room paid with cash, so their deposit is under the drawer.” Sarah said going down the list she made in the log.

“They haven’t checked out yet?” She nodded as my eyes met with hers every so often.

“Here I’ll sign the keys over to you.” She said taking the key log and having my witness her line, and she witnessed me signing them out again. With the keys now in my possession, Sarah bid her goodbyes and left to go clock out. As Sarah left, Minho came out dressed in the houseman attire, he looked so weird in that uniform. It definitely didn’t flatter his frame at all. Poor Minho.

“Hey Crystal, I’m going on my break now, I got to pick up Bobbi from school again.“ I looked at her and nodded as she started making her way to the break room. “Can you assign the arrivals’ rooms for me please?”

“Do what you need to do Alexis. I’ll be here when you get back, not like I can go anywhere…“ I said. I opened up the arrivals list a quickly glanced at it before I looked up from the computer to see Minho’s doe eyes looking directly at me and began making his way toward me. Act normal Crystal…my heart started to race uncontrollably. Oh for fucks sakes he’s just a man…

“Excuse me,” His eyes met mine, his eyes left mine and went to my chest. He leaned his head forward and squinted. I looked down to see if there was something wrong like a stain or something, but realized he was trying to read the small font on my name badge. I pushed my scarf out of the way. He then looked up at me then back at my badge. His cologne or whatever it was hit me and that just pushed my heart rate even higher. I had to calm down.

“How…” He was thinking. His eyes met mine. Oh God, I think I might faint. “How you say it?” He asked, his eyes meeting mine with curiosity.

“Crystal.” I said looking at him.

“Crryysssttttaaalllll.” Minho said, repeating after me. I nodded. Close enough.

“Crystal, where is….Tom.”

“Oh you’re looking for Tom. Hold on one second and let me page him.” I said, as I clumsily grabbed for the walkie-talkie that was stationed at my desk. I dropped it a couple of times just trying to get in range with my mouth. I glanced up at Minho and he eyed me, a smirk coming to his features as he watched me fumble for the talk button. I finally pressed it.

“Tom? What’s your position?”

“I’m in the kitchen…”

“Okay um…” I looked up at Minho. Now I gotta act dumb as if I don’t know who he is…”What your name?”

“My name? My name is Choi…Choi Minho…”

“Can I call you Minho?”

“Yes. You may.” Minho said, offering a full smile. Oh Fuck! I think I’m blushing.

“Tom, Minho is looking for you, want me to send him your way?” I asked talking into the walkie-talkie. I patiently waited for a response. My heart was still pounding in my chest.

“No Crystal, I’ll be there in a sec.”

“Okay.” I replied back as I put the walkie-talkie back on the charger. So I turned my attention back to Minho. Man he’s hotter in person.

“So Minho, where are you from?” I asked him my eyes meeting his. Slow down heart, I’m gonna have a heart attack.

“South Korea.”

“Where at in South Korea?”

“Seoul.”

“What brings you here?”

“Here? As in the U.S.?” Minho asked his accent laying thick in his words.

“Yeah,”

“I’m a part of a contract, I spend 1 year in U.S. I learn English better, get accustomed to American way of life.” Minho said, his eyes meeting mine. It was my turn to smile. Then I saw Tom coming from behind Minho.

“That sounds nice, we’ll have to talk more. I might be able to teach you a thing or two…”

“Sounds nice.” Minho said a full smile coming to his features.

“Mr.Choi!” Tom said ask he came up to the front desk. He then looked at me. “Did you come on at 3, Crystal?”

“As always Tom. You should know this by now, we’ve only been working together for 10 months.” I said, rolling my eyes at the man. Minho let out a small snort of amusement. I turned my attention back to Minho.

“How late do you work Minho?”

“Um…eight hours from now…” Minho said, looking for a clock.

“Oh you’re working the 3-11 too, like me.” I said, looking at him. His eyes met mine and nodded.

“Very nice, I’ll talk to you later then.” I said looking at him. I couldn’t help but wink at me. “Nice meeting you Minho.” I said. Later I’ll show you where I know you from Minho, you just wait.

“Nice meeting you too Crystal.” Minho said waving at me and following Tom. I watch the two of them walk away before returning to my work of assigning my arrivals rooms for the night.

9:15 pm

Minho was mopping the lobby and all my arrivals managed to come in which was a first in a while. So I was looking for something to do, when an idea popped in my head. Jayleanne, my manager and Tom had left a few minutes ago, so it was just Minho and I until almost 11pm when JonCarlo came in to do his night audit.

I opened internet explorer and went to Youtube. Typed SHINee and I opened the Lucifer MV and turned the volume up as loud as I could so the tiny speaker would project. The video began playing and I watched Minho’s mopping stop suddenly as he realized what I was playing. He looked at me, as I began singing along with it.

“Hey Minho, have you heard of this group? They’re from South Korea just like you.” I said looking at him. He began making his way over to me. He didn’t stop at the front instead he came around the desk to stand directly behind me.

“Crystal. You listen to this group?” He asked me his breath hitting the back of my neck, as he watched the video from over my shoulder. I nodded as I continued to sing to the lyrics the best I could. Come on Crystal, pull yourself together.

“So you know who I am then.” Minho stated stepping to my side and looking at me. I nodded. “Pretty voice.”

“Thank you. I knew when I first saw you in the break room.” He nodded. He leaned against the desk. His eyes still focused on me. “What I don’t understand is…what are you doing here, in butt-fuck North Dakota and where are the rest of SHINee?”

“Good Question, don’t know why I here. But Jonghyun is in California, working at McDonalds’, Onew is in Texas, working at a Wal-Mart, Taemin is in New York, not sure how he is, and Key is in Chicahgo, working as a waiter.” I nodded.

“What are you doing here? Besides learning English.”

“Well as you can see, my English is much better, but I still need improvement. We are here to learn how American’s live and record English album.” Minho said his eyes meeting mine.

“How about we play a game. 21 questions. I’ll start. How old are you Crystal?”

“I’m 25, same question to you.”

“I’m 21 here, but 22 in South Korea. Favorite member in SHINee?”

“Well seeing as that I’ve only met you in person, I’d have to say you wouldn’t I?” It was Minho’s turn to blush.

“Thank you,” He said as he pushed off the counter and grabbed his mop and began mopping. “Favorite American music artist?” He asked his eyes meeting mine briefly.

“Oh, you would have to ask that. it’s a tie between Brandy and Michael Jackson. Yours?”

“Michael Jackson? I love him. I would have to say him as well. Favorite thing to do when by yourself?”

“Write music or Dance. You?”

“Same.” Both of us laughed. “We are too alike.”

“Agreed.” I said looking at Minho. A moment of silence ticked by. I could tell Minho was thinking about something.

“What are you doing after work?”

“I’m probably going to go workout for a couple of hours? You?”

“There are gyms here?”

“Yeah…Minot may seem like it’s in the middle of nowhere but we have all kinds of amenities here.” Minho nodded.

“Can I come with you? I want to check out this gym.” Minho asked stopping his mopping for a moment, his eyes meeting mine.

“Sure, I don’t have a problem with that.”

“Cool.” Minho said as he continued to mop the floor. Oh Good Lord what am I doing to myself.

I put the phone console on Night 2 so that all outside calls came to the handset. I took the handset and clipped it to my pocket. I proceeded to make my way to the pool area. My heart finally got its chance to slow down. Damn, what am I getting myself into?
Sign up to rate and review this story