Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Cash Machine

Silver Clouds with Grey Linings

by StopThePress

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2013-08-05 - Updated: 2013-08-05 - 6049 words

?Blocked
With his hair in a jet black craze setting wildly across the pillow, the look of certainty slowly took shape upon his face. His eyes squinted open to the harsh sunlight that crept unwanted between the plum curtains that hung proudly from the rods.

"Good morning." Me, doing the inevitable and smiling. I could truthfully state that this was the best part of our morning. After our usual morning salutations, we took a silent two-and-a-half minutes just to admire each other in a sleepy haze, before we rolled into the pit of our sunken-in mattress and embraced each other.

I rolled counter clockwise off into his body which had been lying comfortably in the crater of our old mattress.

"Sleep well?" His voice groggily cracked. With my ear to his chest and his arms wrapped around my waist, I looked up to his shining eyes looking down on me.

"Of course I did." We shared a few warm kisses before retiring to each others embrace again. "How about you; did you sleep well?" He hesitated on his response, trying to find the right connotation for how, in which, he'd slept. I frowned that he had to think.

"I don't know," Taking my eye contact away from him, I peered at the alarm clock briefly. He followed my gaze and submitted to the painful and mentally waring, portion of our morning ritual. "I keep having this nude dream..." He'd begun to say something that I can't quite recall, as I began to chuckle.

"I don't mean to burst your bubble there, but, you are nude." I retorted sarcastically, giving a small giggle as he shot me a dirty glance. Sitting up, and swinging the blanket off of his knees, he stood and stretched. His body popping and briefly aching, letting the sunlight sheath his fair figure.

"No shit, Captain Obvious." He retorted as he made his way to my side of the bed. Without him being aware, I placed a firm slap on his bare left ass cheek. "Ow!" I giggled in pleasure. "And it's suppose to mean something," He replied in an ironically informative tone. "I read it up somewhere that it means that I'm battling some kind of insecurity..." He mumbled low, under his breath as he shrugged it away. But it would take a lot more for the doubt in his voice to go unnoticed.

As talented and ambitious as as he was about his work, he'd been insecure because he hadn't been doing what he set out to do after college. That, more than anything, had bothered him the most. He was a failure in his own eyes, his own worst enemy at times. He would allow himself to get the best of him, and most of the time over-think or second guess his decisions. Never letting that fleeting feeling of instinct in his gut, do the deciding.

In a more serious tone, I sighed softly. Planting my feet down onto the chilled, wooden floor boards. Standing up, I heard them creek under the balls of my feet. With the blankets draped down around my ankles, I softly took his free hand that had been dangling at his waist. Firmly wrapping my body against his soft exterior; taking in his morning scent.

"You are your own worst critic." I softly brushed my cheek against his soft shoulder blades. I stood there peering up at the largely formatted painting that hung above the wire framing of our headboard. It was a watercolor painting on a large piece of stretched canvas. It depicted a woman, casually and leisurely, taking a bubble bath. With her leg out-stretched and her toes pointed, her raven locks pinned up behind her and her smile never leaving the surface of her delighted face. That woman's happiness and joyous expressions never faded; not even after being laid-off twice and almost becoming borderline homeless. Her overjoyed expression never faltered after two years of living from paycheck-to-paycheck, she was remotely unaffected. All because she had him.

"There's nothing I can do about that, I can assure you," He was wrong, but all I could do was listen and try and help in inadvertent ways. If my opinion was being conveyed indirectly, he wouldn't be able to debate it with me.

He turned around, our warm bodies were facing each other in the soft Monday morning glow.

"You know, she never stopped smiling after that..." With my wrists draped down the arch of his back, my eyes never left the surface of that canvas. I knew if he knew that he had my support, he would cease to doubt himself.

"Who?" He spoke with a puzzled demeanor, confusion rattled in the depth of his throat.

"Your muse." Briefly taking my eyes off of the portrait, grabbing his gaze and letting it follow mine, he grinned. Although that wasn't going to stop him from beating himself up, but it did clarify that I saw him differently than he saw himself.

Our morning routine quickly got back on track, as it was momentarily derailed. The next step was taking a shower...together! We were so resourceful! We went green before anyone else in New York City did. We were so green, trees and vegetables envied us!

We bathed together, slept together, often ate off of the same plate and drunk out of the same cup. The only thing we didn't share were toothbrushes. In fact, we've even thought about becoming lobbyists for Eco-Friendly Living. But we would have to prove how legitimate resourceful we were, and I wasn't about to videotape us bathing together. That would hurt our campaign if anything.

"Are these all for this month?" His exhausted voice carried to a stack of envelopes piled high on the coffee table. I sighed, zipping up the back of my black pencil skirt. Smoothing it down and slightly pulling my white blouse out of it.

"Those aren't just bills, you know..." Coming over to him and grabbing the contents out of his hand, only to frown and realize I was wrong.

Electric.
Cable.
Gas.
Water.

All definitely bills.

I scoffed as he gave me the 'told you so' look.

"Wait. Here's one that's not!" My proud moment of proving him wrong and cheering him up was sure to shine. I opened to the envelope with vigor to see what it could possibly be. "Oh...It's Student Loan..." With a defeated sigh, he walked away.

"I don't even want to see it," He went to the kitchen counter, surveying the boxes of cereal, grabbed a bowl from the cabinet and milk out of the refrigerator. I read the letter further when I noticed something rather unusual. The word 'refund'. Refund meaning -- money that we were going to receive back.

"Wait! Gee, this is a statement for a refund!" The excitement carried through the walls of our small apartment in Queens but deflected off of him and his frown-bubble. Quickly, I ran over to prove to him that it was factual. "Look!" I pointed to the statement which stated that the refund enclosed to the amount of...would be given back to him. "It says that the refund is made out to you from an overdraft loan," My eyes searched frantically for the amount.

"Yes, of twenty six dollars," Swiftly sliding the paper from my fingertips hastily, he slid it across the kitchen counter and brought his attention back to his coffee. "If you want, you can take that and get yourself something nice," I wasn't sure if that was sarcasm or if he actually meant what he said. By the dull look in his hazel eyes, I could definitely tell that sarcasm had played upon the tip of his tongue.

"What happened to something is better than nothing?" I challenged him with his own words. Words he would utter to me now and again. Trying desperately to make me see things for how great they really were. Even the days where I'd slaved away all day and night at a sketchy diner in Bed Stuy, those words had gotten me through a lot. Anything he'd say had gotten me through a number of tough times.

He firmly put down the mug onto the counter after taking a long and thoughtful sip. Slowly sliding across his face was the look signaling that he knew he was being challenged by his own words. This could mean one or two things; either we were going to argue, or I could think of something practical to say to let him sit and think about...or we were going to start arguing.

"Look, I don't want to spend the rest of my life chasing paper, but it seems like a better option than waiting for it just to be handed out to us." That was good thinking on my part. Usually, I was never that quick on my feet. He grasped the mug with both hands and gave what I'd said some thought, after all. I inched closer to him, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. He looked up to me with the eyes of a hopeless child. Temple to temple, we stared deep into each others wide eyes. "But that doesn't mean I'm leaving it up to you to make us financially stable." Without a word, he just nodded.

I really was good.

Our smiles were small but they held so much experience; so much intent, sincerity and love. Hope was one of those things that would only appear in a smile if one of us had a promising day at work. Apparently, to us, hope was a very rare visitor, but she'd show her light every once in a while; work her magic when we really needed it (and I mean in desperate need). But we couldn't depend on hope, though she seemed to be very dependable; she also showed up false at times. Thus commencing the downward spiral that would last for a good month until things would be back to normal again. Not that normal for us was anything to rave about, it was still a relief from prior disasters.

"I love you," He stated with so much certainty. It made my hands go all clammy again like the first night we met. My smile grew cheek-to-cheek as I couldn't prolong my response.

"I love you, too," Sincerity evident in my tone.


Out of the steel door that shut tightly behind us, we walked down the street taking in the beauty of Springtime in Queens. It was late March and a bit above fifty degrees before nine in the morning. The flower boxes under the complex owners' windows were eager for the sun to illuminate them and let their flowers bloom. Giving Queens Village's tough exterior a run for its money.

You could literally smell it in the air, well, aside from the exhaust fumes. But it was pure magic! Everyone had been in a good mood now that the weather was changing and it was hard not to join in on the excitement!

Walking hand-in-hand with Gee silently as we reached the end of the block. Watching the children flock to each other as they waited for the school bus to approach. Seeing the parents sit attentively out on the stoop watching their children be children; it all just plastered a huge grin across my face. Watching pigtails and school bags bouncing with glee. I turned to him with that same grin. He looked to me with eyes sure to say,

"Some day." He whispered giving me fever bumps all the way up my spine. I clenched his hand a little tighter, obviously satisfied with that answer. I could honestly see Gee and I starting a family. People would think that I'd have enough children around to wait it out some; seeing as my immediate family was quite large and growing rapidly. I was the oldest of four--soon to be five. There was me, the twins -- Aiden and Aria who were eight, Nicole who was three and one on-the-way. My dad and stepmother claimed that this would be their last but needless to say, they said the exact thing when Nicole was born.

"So Kim wants me to go to a show with her next weekend at Starland," Slowly we walked past the morning people, children and work goers, on our way to the subway station. Kim was a really good friend of ours. She went to school with Gee's brother, Mikey. She dropped out a year after starting and decided to go to beauty school. After completing she started her ex-ternship at Stella's salon. Thus commenced our friendship. She was literally the female version of Mikey. They both wore glasses, got surgery, stopped wearing glasses. They both had a great sense of fashion and they just had similar attitudes that conveyed they didn't give a fuck. She had been the closest thing I've had to a good friend.

"Oh yeah? Who's playing?" I already knew this would be an instant 'I'll have to see,' but I thought I'd be smart and give it a try anyway.

"Her friend's band. They're opening for The Sleeping," His facial expression displayed a possible 'maybe'.

"Who else is going?" I sighed. He felt awkward about a lot of Kim's friends. The majority had all been dirty rockers from the tri-state area. My gut told me that if they'd all been an intellectual group of starving artists that were remotely harmful, he would have felt the same way.

"Well, she has two extra tickets and she's met someone recently. I think his name's Frank or something. So it'll kinda be a double date!" Squeezing that all out in one breath was more challenging than making it sound feasible to attend!

"Sure. Why not?" That was his honest answer. I almost responded with a shocked 'Really?' but I just went with it. He'd never been this eager to go out with anyone Kim associated with, being that they were all kind of assholes. Maybe he was getting a new lease on life and this was going to be a good start.

We reached the end of our morning travel; the subway stairs. I engulfed myself in his warm arms and my senses filled with him. His scent lightly gracing my nostrils; an automatic serotonin booster to me. I didn't want to let go but I knew our trains would be arriving and we couldn't afford being tardy.

"Have a good day," He squeezed as to leave my imprint on him. His soft lips graced my forehead, the bridge of my nose and my lips. "I love you more than trees love leaves," He exclaimed. I gave it strong thought before I replied.

"But trees grow out of leaves, and then they shrivel up and die an Autumn," He paused to leave make a threatening expression. "I love you, too," I stood on my tiptoes kissing him back. "Enjoy your day, baby!" I called back, heading down the stairs to my train approaching. I hurried through the turnstiles, swiping my Metro and pushing myself through the crowd. There was barely standing room, as I shimmied my way to the opposing doors. I saw Gerard on the other platform. We locked eyes as that smile didn't quit. I waved blowing a kiss as my train pulled off.

I arrived to work with a few minutes to spare. Whizzing passed the chairs filled with satisfied patrons, just knowing I had ample time to inhale a granola bar. I got to the back, through my bag in my cubby, dawned my smock and grabbed the breakfast bar out of my bag. I took a breath as I slowed down and wrapped the metallic green foil open. My stomach growled as my mouth nearly watered at the delectable sight of blueberries and raspberries hugged in chunks of oatmeal.

"Mia," Fuck. I heard Stella's now, only semi-Russian accent call from the door of the back room. I shoved a quarter of the bar in my mouth prior to answering.

"Yes," I appeased with slight annoyance in my voice.

"You're clocking-in early. Kim was supposed to be here," She checks her watch "Thirty seconds ago and I need someone answering phones and washing hair. You look like you're in the mood to do just that," As bad as I wanted to throw my smock in her face, flip her off and quit, I knew that was not possible. I sighed and tried to savor the rest of my breakfast.

"No problem," I swallowed.

"Great," She smiled. "And don't eat on the floor," I waited until she turned around to mock her in fear that if she saw me that she would make me close and sweep for a month…again.



"Can you believe she had the nerve to make me sit all of her clients under the dryer and then finish them?" This was how coming home usually worked. Gerard and I would meet at the platform and walked home together. "Do I need to remind her that I graduated Cum Laude with a 4.0? I don't need her making me feel less than I am," I dropped the plastic grocery bags in the creases of my hands slowly down to the floor as we reached our door.

"Well don't let her make you feel like you're anything less than what you are. You do have some control over that, you know," I scoff. He was always the peaceful type; the pen-over-sword, words-over-fists type. It was something I had to get used to. Retrieving my keys from my bag, my eyes slowly roll.

"Though, she has control over my paycheck," He parted his lips to interject. "But, I'm also her Book Keeper and she's paying me a lot less than she could be paying someone else," I open the door, trailing off into the kitchen placing the groceries on the counter.

"So, in retrospect, she needs you…sorta," He mumbles the last part certainly.

"Sorta? Have you any idea how much an Accountant makes a year?" We stand on opposite sides of the counter putting groceries away.

"Something, something, thousand dollars," He mumbles with apparent disinterest.

"Exactly! I'm not making that," I give, frustrated. He pauses; placing cans of tomato paste and green beans down on the counter. He comes over to me with hopeful gesture and open arms. I couldn't begin to elaborate how appreciative I was to have a man like Gerard. He was the only person I felt that I could poor all of my emotions out to, and whatever remained conflicting inside, he would make it go away. As he smiled against my forehead, my mood lightened. His warm arms and soft chest comforted me from the blows and knock-outs of the world.

"You're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing and a-fuck-ton-more," He begins to slowly sway with me in his arms. "It will all pay off in the end, babe. I promise," Sincerity rang through his voice.

"I know, it's just frustrating. It's like I can't win for losing," I pout.

"Look," With his fingers around my jaw, he tilts my view toward him. "Nothing is ever easy when you're trying to make something of yourself honestly and at the disposal of others," At that moment, I realized he was using my own words against me. "We just gotta stick it out just a little while longer," I nod, almost swooned by the 'we' gesture.

"Thank you, baby," I breathe. That's honestly all he had to do to make my world seem like rainbows and butterflies. He made me feel invincible, untouchable, but mostly loved. I just wish I knew I made him feel the same way. "Do I make you feel that…way?" He giggles softly, placing a kiss on my chin.

"What way?" His arms still firm around me, my chest to his ear.

"Like the world's no match for us," His heart thumps quietly. He was always so relaxed, so calm.

"You make me feel even better than that," He thoughtfully replies. "Whether I'm down for the count, or fighting with everything I have; no matter what, you're always at ringside. On my side," My heart detaches itself from its sinews, muscles and arteries as it flies around my ribcage. And everything from earlier in the day melts into oblivion. I suddenly cannot recall being frustrated at work and feeling overwhelmed. He could change that all just by wrapping his arms around me. He was my strongest support beam; never giving way at the hardest of winds or heaviest of pressure.
"Where would I be without you, huh?" I sigh ironically.

"You know, I don't know," I giggle. "But I am really hungry," I say breaking away and going to the cabinet to look at our choice.

"Let's see," Gerard pushed through can, after can, after can…"We've got green beans. You in the mood for green beans?" I nod heading to the freezer.

"Oh! Green beans and," I start a drum roll. This was every night for us. Although, to any outsider, it may seem bleak or mundane, rather. "Flank steak!" I exclaim, arms up above me and feet in a fighting stance.

"Sounds about right," Gerard turns around with a skillet and a small sauce pan. The phone rings.

"I got it!' Going into the living room, I see that it's my dad's number. The second man on this planet that can make me feel completely invincible. We've been through the trenches of life and even harder times than Gerard and I faced. He taught me everything I should know about life. Most importantly, he taught me how to love and be loved unconditionally. Teaching me how to play sports, fight and order drinks were all just perks.

"Hey Daddy," I greet. All of a sudden the warm-and-fuzzies rush through my being.

"How's my Babygirl doing?" And just like that--I was eight again. My Dad was extremely over protective of me but very seldom worried because I had Gerard. Though, it wasn't always like that; specifically around the time that he dropped his major and went to art school. But through years of tribulation and dedication he gained full trust in us both.

"I'm pretty good. Can't complain, I guess," I giggle lightly. "How are you and Liv? Oh and the twins and Nicki; how are they?" Other than Dad and Gee, my stepmother and my half-siblings were my life. Everything I did was for them. I didn't have any great female role models in my life until Dad met Liv. I wanted to be exactly that for them. I wanted to spoil them with gifts, hugs and kisses every time I seen them. Of course they were pain in the asses but they were my pain in the asses.

I was really excited for the arrival of the newest addition to our family; Baby Grace. I just couldn't wait to dress her up in pink, high-top Chuck Taylor's and buy her embroidered onesies that read 'Gracie' in elegant black script. Just the thought of my new little sister gave me the best feeling.

"They're doing well; Aiden has a soccer game next Tuesday and Aria has a dance recital Wednesday night and Nicki's stressing over not being the baby anymore," I frowned. I remember when Dad told me that Liv was having twins; even though I was fourteen at the time, I was still bummed out that I wasn't going to be the only child anymore. "She'll realize what it is to be a big sister in due time,"

Nicole was of the most unique three year-old I've met yet. She didn't wine, or cry or anything that was remotely annoying. She just sits in deep thought when she doesn't get her way. Not only did she have the eyes of my father but she was just as contemplative as he was too. Aiden and Aria are the active, less introspective of the four of us. Spoiled down to the core, they get (and still receive) whatever they want. Being the first and only boy of the family, Aiden has his sensitive side but he's a tough kid, all around. Aria is the more glamorous and careful of the four of us. She refuses whole-heartedly to get dirt under her fingernails and throws fits when her hair is blown the wrong way. Other than that, she's got the biggest heart.

"Aw," I coo. "I'll see if we can make it to both. I get off at four Tuesday, and Wednesday I'm off," I jot the dates down on a scrapped piece of paper that's already filled with notes in my handwriting. Dad starts to go into detail about Liv's Baby Shower. Slowly examining the paper, I realize that the concert was tonight. "Oh my," I wine "Dad, I am so sorry but I gotta go,"

"Okay, Sweetie. Call me when you have time. Love you," He replies understanding that I am faced with a small emergency.

"Most definitely! Love you, Daddy. Give Liv and the kids hugs and kisses for me. Bye," I hang up with the paper still in hand. Gerard remained in the kitchen sautéing the steak. The zesty smells of seasoning danced around my nostrils as I slowly approached him.

"So," I hesitantly started to walk toward him. "Remember that show that Kim wanted us to go to?" My small voice was almost overpowered by pop and hiss of the cooking wine and oils in the pan.

"Yeah, what about it?" My stomach curled in one thousand knots and my mouth grew dry.

"Well," I began taking fond interest in my bare feet. "It starts at nine,"

"Okay. I'll pick out something to wear next week," His back still faced me.

"Tonight," Before I could let out another breath, he hopped away from the stove, turning toward me.

"What?" There was nothing left to do but use my secret weapon; my eyes widened, my lips perched and sorrow mocked my face.

"I'm sorry. I just knew she said next weekend," My voice devoid of strength. This was my only defense. He had no choice but to succumb to this; I was being undeniably adorable. He turned back round to turn off the stove and put the fitting glass lid atop the pot.

"Get dressed," He sighed. I smiled like a five year old who was allowed candy after 9pm.


We sat on the crowded train with one station left to go. Our hands hooked into each others as if our skin could melt together. I looked to Gerard who was disinterested at best; peering out of the window observing the flashing images of graffiti coating the subway tunnels. He wasn't in the best mood and though I did get my way, I didn't want him to feel bad or coerced to . I tugged on the sleeve of his leather jacket. Eyes still widened, softening his rough, pissed off exterior.

"Hey," I let my ears encounter the cold texture of his jacket. "Don't be mad at me. We haven't had a night-out in months," I exasperated. Though, it was a little too late for trying to reason.

"I'm not mad at you," His voice held empathy. "I'm just kinda tired," The train halted with a loud hissing. The doors opened and we hustled out with people on all sides of us. Our hands were more intact now, than ever.

"Well, at least we're finally doing something spontaneous," That was kind of a white lie. At least twice a month we would go to a show of one of Kim's boy toys. Usually, I would get lost in the crowd somewhere, Gerard would get into a fist fight with some idiot punk and we'd flea before the cops came.

"Spontaneous, huh?" I softly nod looking up to him. He gives a small laugh. "Just don't get lost this time. Please," I'm not going to lie; the fact that he'd proven to me many a time that he'd do anything to protect me was definitely a turn on. He wasn't at all a violent person and he believed that it wasn't at all the answer; but he when push came to shove (both figuratively and literally), he did his best to protect me.

"I won't," We walked up a few blocks seeing the neon sign of the venue. Something about tonight's show as out of the ordinary. Usually there would be people crowded around the venue waiting anxiously for the doors to open. Tonight was different; it'd been at least ten-to-fifteen people waiting outside patiently. Drinking coffees and having coy artsy conversations. I looked to Gerard whose mood suddenly seemed to lighten. Contention floated through the two of us as I reached for my phone in my purse. I sent a text to Kim to let her know where were in line. Not a moment later. the bouncer walked up to the two of us with a clipboard in hand.

"Are you two with Kim and Frank?" He wasn't as buff as they guy that usually stands out here and breaks the necks of anyone who tries to bust in line or get in without being on the list.

"Yes," I pulled out the tickets, showing him as he nodded and led us inside. It was something about the feeling I got walking inside. As if one-single-solitary thing could change everything. I brushed it off as being too much of a mystic.

The Bouncer led us through the hall and to the venue which remained completely empty, except for the band doing a soundcheck on stage, Kim and her mystery man. Gerard and I walked in as the Bouncer followed his trail back outside. Kim sat on a speaker with her ink coated legs softly swinging in the air. She squealed at the sight of us.

"I'm so glad you guys made it out!" She exclaimed. Hopping off of the stage and onto me. Her green eyes lit up like Christmas trees surrounded by a thin layer of eyeliner and natural long eyelashes. Her hair had always been cut short and colored the darkest tones. The small details of her face were casted by a soft olive complexion that highlighted her youthfulness. Kim was an interesting being. She always talked about having emotions but I'd never seen any as long as I knew her. I knew she was sensitive and thoughtful but she was always somewhat of a blank canvas. You could never tell what she was thinking or how she was feeling. She was inked classically from head-to-toe and enjoyed wearing up-does and pinup style clothing. The only real female friend I had since I met her through Mikey.

"We wouldn't miss it for the world," Gerard cooed sarcastically. She playfully patted him on the shoulder and gave him a warm hug, Something in my stomach felt unsettling as she spent exactly 2.4 seconds in his arms and a short man with just as many tattoos ascended from the stage. She let go noticing the other presence. Stepping back and latching onto his hand, the wide smile never left her face.

"Guys," She announced slowly. "This is Frank," Oddly enough, this was the physical male version of Kim; inked from the neck down, green eyes, olive skin, vertically challenged. They were literally the same person. I realized I hadn't replied at all as Gerard smiled and shook his hands.

"Hey, I'm Mia," I lent my hand out to him as his initialed fingers wrapped into my palm. His shake was firm but gentle and his eyes were inviting but had a lot behind them. He seemed a lot different from her usual choices. Not cut-off sleeves, overly toned arms and he looked under forty. Something was definitely different about tonight.

"Frank," He smiled and I noticed the piercings. His voice was gentle, but like his eyes you could tell they held stories behind them.

"So, what kind of music does your band play?" Such a weird question but it was the first thing that came to mind.

"I'm actually just the sound guy but these guys are in the band," His hands gestured to the four men tuning their guitars on stage.

"That's significant. Music would sound like shit if there was no one to tune guitars and pianos," I gave a quick laugh. It was almost as if he was thrown off guard.

"Yeah," He laughed. "That's what I tell Kim all of the time," He anchors her in with his arm around the back of her neck she giggles and sighs placing a small kiss on his cheek. My eyes wander over to the door which starts to fill with people. About thirty feet away was a bar and some free stools.

"I'll be right back. Just gonna get a drink," I lean into Gerard's ear. Before he confirms he looks to the door and see the people pouring in. He takes another look and Kim and Frank slobbering each other down in front of everyone like nothing else mattered.

"I'm coming with ya," He hurried along. Gerard wasn't much of a drinker. As a matter of fact, he didn't drink at all. I hopped onto the stool as the bartender, an exuberant female with blond hair and a black tank, greeted me.

"Hey, what would you like tonight?" I thought for a little. I wasn't a hard drinker. I just wanted something that would get me in the mood to sing and dance. I wasn't a dark liqueur drinker and if it is silver than it can't be cheap.

"I'll have a Grey Goose Pear and Cranberry, please?" She nodded bustling past and grabbing various bottles.

"No problem. Coming right up," I turned my full attention to Gerard sipping on a water bottle. Eyes set heavy on the crowd.

"We used to be like that, you know?" My eyes dart toward Kim and her lip attachment. He cackles.

"You have enough drinks, and that's us all of the way," The lights fall and he nestles closer to me. There are a good thirty people in the venue not including the two of us at the bar. "I got a promotion," At first, I didn't quite catch what he said at first. I gave him this look of uncertainty. He just nodded. I had no words; he'd been in that exact position for almost two years and they were finally recognizing his hard work.

"You're kidding!" I almost hopped on him as he giggled softly. "When were you going to tell me?" I playfully slapped his knee.

"I was hoping to tell you over dinner but seeing as we were sidetracked," He engulfed me in yet, another hug. I leaned back and grabbed his dimly lit face.

"Baby, I'm so proud!" I almost screamed. I went in for a deep kiss, our lips never ceasing to smile against each others. The band started to play a synth led note and then the rusty sound of electric guitars slowly became the soundtrack to our make out session at the bar. The band was much more indie than anything Kim's ever got us tickets to. But I wasn't paying too much attention to the band.

"Couldn't do it without you," He whispered against my lips. For once in our relationship, he finally found the light at the end of the tunnel, after helping me reach mine for the longest time.

"Here you are," The bartender's smile made that moment even sweeter. I slowly stirred my drink, never stopping to look down.

"Thank you," I stare at him in a complete trance. It was that fleeting feeling in my chest that left me so unglued. I almost could say for certain that anything that occurred after tonight was going to be extraordinary. Whether it be good, bad, or the least bit indifferent; things were changing. I guess we just had to stay tuned to watch things fall into place. I wasn't exactly keen to thinking into the future. I sipped my drink as it hit my stomach warming it like a hearth in winter. I just wanted to stay in this exact moment. With him.
Sign up to rate and review this story