Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Holly Polter

Kick-off

by wordhammer

On the playing field at Hogwarts

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Drama,Erotica,Humor - Characters: Cho,Harry - Warnings: [!!] [X] [?] - Published: 2015-03-07 - 10510 words

?Blocked




Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all related concepts are owned by someone who isn't me. I will never seek or accept money for the circulation of this work. Especially this work.

Note: revised to correct some wording and include saucy details

Holly Polter

Chapter: Kick-off

The world had changed and changed again, but the Hogwarts Express was reassuringly immutable. Steam clouded the platform, enhancing the predictable chaos as three hundred parents chivvied an even larger mob of students into five rail cars that were surprisingly roomy; it was the doorways that weren't very accommodating. Yet this noise was welcome to Harry's ears. He always preferred the getting on at King's Cross more than disembarking. It was a clear demonstration of the difference between anticipation and dread.

Ron and Hermione had gone to meet with the other Prefects as was expected of them and the twins had headed off on their own agenda, but Ginny resolved to stick with him in a welcome show of support. They found Neville and settled into a cabin with him and one other occupant, an odd duck named Luna whom Ginny already knew as she lived in Devonshire as well, a short hop(measured in miles) from the Burrow.

Holly had advised Harry that she was planning to spy on people during their journey. She'd also given him an assignment- she said it was asuggestion, but Harry wasn't mistaking her casual attitude as anything but her leaving the choice to him.

'Make some new friends. Play it cool- you're not a nutter or an agent of Fate; just a guy who knows some things and has done some stuff. Be kind to firsties- every year the student body changes by 1/7th and the new ones have less bias about you.

'If you can't decide how to handle something, be a leader-choose the bolder play. As a center of attention, you will be watched. Fair or not, that's your position. Don't 'try' to be entertaining; it comes off false. Just act as if people are watching, because they are, even if you don't see them.'

With that in mind, the mask of command settled over his face and awave of calm wrapped his brain like an internalized muffling charm. He felt some giddiness rise only to be reflexively suppressed before it could become alaugh.

I have control, sure, but I feel like I can't enjoy anything. No wonder Snape is such a berk. At least Dumbledore keeps up a pleasant face.

Ginny tugged on his arm and said, "Is something wrong, Harry?"

"No. I've got a lot on my mind is all." He made to smile but found that telling his body to smile was quite different than having it happen naturally. Harry decided to work without the mask but to keep it ready in case circumstances changed.

He took a few minutes to talk with the others in his cabin, then got up to find out who else was sitting in their section of the train. The next cabin over had an octet of nervous first-years, so he answered a few simple questions that set their minds at ease. The next cabin had some third-years, mostly Ravenclaws with nothing to say to him, positive or negative. He continued his casual canvass until Ron and Hermione caught up with him following their meeting.

Ron groused at him, "If you weren't such a nutter I wouldn't have to do this job, y'know?"

"Hey, you got a Cleansweep out of it. My nuttiness is bringing you gifts and popularity. Even your mum likes you more, now."

"Oh, right. Thanks, screwball."

Hermione huffed at them but said nothing. Harry smiled.

They returned to Harry's cabin to find it covered in gooey green sap.

Shaking slime from the book she'd hid behind, Ginny explained,"Neville's plant is a gusher."

"I just poked it," came the protest from beneath aNeville-shaped glazing of goo.

Harry blinked a few times, then said, "I'd swear there's areally good punchline for that, but let's just not poke the plant again, yeah?"

They cleaned up the mess with a flurry of Scouring charms, made some hello's that only insulted Neville and Luna a small bit and then shared abounty of treats from the snack trolley that improved everyone's mood.

As usual when conversation flagged, Quidditch was brought up. Ron refreshed them about the many fine qualities of his Cleansweep: series eleven, even nudging that he might try for the Gryffindor team since they were short aKeeper. Ginny asked, "Are you still going to fly Seeker for us this year, Harry?"

Before he could answer, the door slid open to allow entry to some unwanted guests.

"So, Potty- how does it feel to come second place to the Weasel?"

Harry looked up at Draco Malfoy. A prickle of anger crossed his skull, but the idea of letting Malfoy get to him seemed like it could only be embarrassing. He shunted his feelings into a pocket set aside for rage noise.

Ron bolted to standing and yelled, "Sod off, you gits!"

This also seemed a bit juvenile but Harry stood as well so as to keep Ron from further overreaction.

Draco smarmed, "You should speak with respect to your betters, Weasel, or I'll have points off all of you. Give you some long-delayed punishments."

Hermione corrected him, "Prefects can't take points, Malfoy, or give out punishments if there isn't rule-breaking."

"No, but we can seize suspicious items- take some of those sweets for me boys; they look dodgy."

Crabbe and Goyle leaned in and pawed at the collection of treats from the trolley still sitting on the bench by the door.

Ron protested, "Get yer mitts off those!"

"I dunno," Ginny countered, "now that those hands have touched them I'd call 'em dodgy, too."

Harry still was holding Ron back at the shoulder but gave her an appreciative nod. He then turned towards Draco with a bland expression.

"Nothing to say, Potter?" the blond boy sneered,"Completely dumbfounded, eh? You're pathetic."

Harry had a sense of something changing in the room. Looking around, he caught sight of a familiar ink lizard climbing across the ceiling and he chose to smile.

"What's so funny?"

He flicked his eyes upwards. "Watch your head, Malfoy."

The blond looked up towards the ceiling in time to get a faceful of ink. He sputtered, raising his wand to clear it off, but then the ink came alive. It slipped into his mouth easily as his curled-lip grimace had left asuitable gap.

Malfoy stumbled back into Crabbe and Goyle, grasping at their arms to keep from falling over while making a disturbing wheezing noise like achoking duck.

Though he appeared impassive, Harry's mind was racing.

What is Holly doing? Is she really going to kill him? I should get her out- I know the spell, but... do I really want to save him?

"Wha' is it, Malfoy?" asked Crabbe.

The boy continued to choke, pointing into his mouth with adesperate fear.

Hermione stood up, about to exclaim something and also drawing her wand but Harry held up his arm to block her, giving her a cold glare.

"Harry, he's choking!"

"But not breaking a rule," Harry replied.

Harry caught sight of Ron in his peripheral vision; his friend was looking between them and at Malfoy as he writhed on the floor. Ron's expression was simply aghast- he took no move to assist Malfoy nor to cheer over his suffering.

Crabbe yelled down at Malfoy, "Tell us what to do! What good is it making all this noise if you won't tell us what you want?" At the same time Goyle was trying to reach down Malfoy's throat but Draco's flailing arms kept getting in the way. Draco even bit on Goyle's fingers as he struggled for breath.

Harry heard students crowding into the corridor from other cabins, no doubt attracted by the ruckus. Resolved to a plan, he cast a Banishing charm to get Crabbe and Goyle out of the way, sending them sprawling into the corridor. He then aimed at Malfoy's neck and incanted, "/Anapneo/."

A black gob shot out of the blond's mouth to spatter against the far wall, then slid down to disappear amidst the tight piles of berber that carpeted the corridor. Malfoy coughed hard enough to turn his pale skin purple then turned over to heave. As he attempted to recapture his breath, Harry crouched down next to him.

"Saved your life just now, Malfoy. And I told you to watch your head- Neville's plant had spouted sap all over the cabin earlier. So... try not to trip and kill yourself this year, eh? Otherwise your House-mates won't know when to wipe their mouths, and I don't want to slip on their drool."

Harry Scourgified away the sick, stood up and then closed their door leaving the three Slytherins in the corridor to collect themselves.

Hermione glared at him as they settled back into their seats.

"What?"

"He's not going to let that drop, Harry."

Before Harry could bother to agree the door slammed open once more. Draco was poised with wand ready...

... to lose it to Ginny's Disarming charm.

Draco looked all around him to try and understand how he'd been outmaneuvered, then wailed, "How... how DARE you!? Crabbe, Goyle- get them!"

Hermione stood up and bellowed, "I will have your Prefect's badge and personally drag you to McGonagall to be expelled if you do not remove yourself and your 'minions' from this carriage at once, you stupid, wandless sack of potato peels!"

Disarmed, discounted and distraught, Draco stumbled back into the corridor to recover his wand and then made a fast exit followed by his cowed flunkies.

Hermione sat back down with a satisfied 'hmph'.

Harry smiled, turned to Neville and Luna and said, "So I'm training my friends on how to survive the coming war. As you can see we're getting pretty good individually even if we aren't quite coordinated yet. Interested?"

They both nodded.

Ron cackled and said, "Potato peels, Hermione?"

She blushed. "Admittedly that gives him too much credit for nutritional value, but it had a rhythm."

A minute later, just as everyone was settled in their seats again, Luna broke out into a loud laughing fit.

~o~

That was the last of the truly interesting moments on the Express, though Harry also had a bit of a time when he caught his first sight of the Thestrals that pulled the carriages from Hogsmeade station. Ron, Hermione and Ginny said they couldn't see them, so Luna explained their unique qualities to them all during the jostling carriage ride up to the castle. Harry felt a pang of pity for the blonde waif when she mentioned why she could see the Thestrals. Losing her mother halfway through her childhood seemed a crueler loss than his own.

Upon thinking of it Harry realised two things; he'd always known that the Dursleys weren't a proper example of the way adults should act, and he'd always known, absolutely, that he had been loved by his parents. While the thought warmed him against the cold rain as they left the carriages, he also noted that it made his scar itch.

The feast was enjoyable not least because Malfoy appeared to have lost his appetite. Based on the few glances Harry had made while keeping tabs on known threats, Malfoy spent most of his time glaring at Harry and muttering to his associates in Slytherin.

The new professor Madam Umbridge made a long and presumptuous speech. Harry recognised her from his trial and Hermione confirmed that her presence was no doubt a Ministry incursion on the school's independence. The toad-woman's ramble irritated him in a way he couldn't pin down, but he knew there ought to be an answer for it. The Headmaster seemed nearly done with most of his usual notices and warnings, so Harry stood up and raised his goblet towards the staff table.

"Er, yes, Mr. Potter?" the Headmaster called out to him.

Snape muttered loud enough for the room to hear him,"Self-centered egotist can't miss a chance to show off."

Umbridge then made a kind of faux-coughing noise,"Hem, hem."

"One moment, Mr. Potter. Madam Umbridge?"

"I must say Headmaster, that I'm surprised that you would afford any attention to such a disrespectful--"

"Remember Cedric!" Harry called out, almost like an order.

There was a quiet pause, then the loud scraping of ahundred students all rising from the benches to lift their glasses. Since this hadn't been planned the majority of those standing were in Hufflepuff- everyone in Hufflepuff in fact, including their Head of House. Within a minute all of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw rose as well with Slytherin giving mixed support or abstention soon after.

Dumbledore smiled and retrieved his own goblet and lifted it high prompting the rest of the staff to stand up and join him and Professor Sprout in doing so. Umbridge was the last to rise but rise she did.

The Headmaster led the room as he solemnly restated,"Remember Cedric," and everyone with goblets raised took a drink to the young man who had died less than three months prior.

Professor Dumbledore looked to his right and his left, shrugged and said, "On that note we shall release you all to find your way home to your Houses. Sleep well, students. Tomorrow: instruction, with afair chance of learning something! You have been forewarned."

~o~

In the mad press of students escaping the Great Hall Harry lost track of Ron and Hermione but nearly collided with Cho Chang. Despite the crowd then trying to part them the pretty Asian girl was able to reach out and pull herself into him, ending in an embrace.

"Oh, Harry! That was the most--"

He missed the rest of what she said into his shoulder as it was overspoken by a girl standing just behind Harry calling out,"Move it along! First years, follow your House prefects."

Harry then also heard a pinched and shrill voice echoing over the crowd, "Mr. Potter? I wish to speak to you this instant!"

He muttered, "I need an escape route."

The witch behind him said, "Which way're you heading, Harry?"

Harry turned around to find it was the Head Girl who had been bellowing orders near his ear- a tall, lanky witch with short blonde curls wearing Hufflepuff robes.

He nodded towards a suit of armour behind which he knew there was a hidden staircase that led up towards the dorm towers.

The Head Girl grabbed two of her housemates and said,"Badgers- I need a path northeast."

Umbridge's call for Harry's attention was getting closer but just then a gap opened straight towards the armour, hedged by several older boys from Hufflepuff acting oblivious but turning students away from Harry's vector.

Harry led Cho along their escape route, nodding back towards the Head Girl just as they slipped back into the hidden stairway.

Both stayed silent as they ascended the twisting staircase, familiar as they were how even whispers could echo in stone passages. They reached a wooden door a few floors up and exited into a short passage with a second door at the end, visible when a torch on the wall lit in response to their presence.

Cho marveled, "How did you do that?"

"I think they're automatic."

"I know how the torches work, Harry. I meant getting through the crowd.

"Friends in high places I s'pose. Are you alright?"

As if she'd been awaiting the prompt Cho let loose her tears and gripped Harry around the chest again. "I'm just so... moved, Harry, that you would honour Cedric like that."

He'd raised his arms out from his body in reaction but then decided that Cho wanted to be held. He wrapped his arms loosely around her shoulders enjoying the softness and sweet scent of her long black hair against his cheek.

"He was a good guy, Cho. It's right to miss him."

Cho leaned back from the hug, her eyes watery and red from the salt in her tears. She gazed into his eyes.

Even now she's pretty. I'm sure she normally wouldn't give me the time of day, but--

Cho lurched forward and pressed her lips to his, earnestly attempting to bruise Harry's mouth with the force of her kiss. Harry reeled back a bit but not enough to break contact. He tried to retreat a bit to give their mouths the room to explore and caress but the girl insisted on applying all possible force to his face from hers.

Harry broke off their snog with a gasp. "Cho!Wow, uhh--"

"Oh, Harry! I've wanted this for so long."

She tried to re-engage. Harry was hoping to let some blood back into the soft tissues in front of his teeth before they were crushed again. No dice- Cho found an angle and then sucked his breath away while achieving an airtight seal. Harry could swear this was a moment of deja-vu, one that may have inspired his fascination with the girl in the first place.

Aside from that the way Cho was kissing him was making him really annoyed.

He slid both hands up around her face and gripped her jaw. Forcing her back an inch he heard her gasp in worry. A few gentle shushes and she wasn't trying to force her head through his grip anymore.

Harry then leaned forward and brushed his lips against hers, teaching her by example how to enjoy the gentle touch, the sliding softness and the simple grace of a decent kiss.

When he leaned back he saw that Cho was stunned. Her eyes were wide open.

"What?"

"You really are much better at this than he was."

Feeling a swell of ego he said, "I can show you so much more." He suppressed a wince.

God, that was corny.

They kissed again, Cho taking Harry's lead on speed, pressure, angle and level of tongue involvement. He also had been moving close to her prompting her to edge backward until she encountered a ledge cut into the wall to serve an arrow slit, long since blocked off. Harry boosted her to rest her arse on the angled edge and then moved closer still. At first Cho held her thighs together which prevented Harry from leaning close; she then parted her legs to best fit Harry's stance and re-engage their kissing.

Glad I'm not a prefect after all. We may be here awhile!

Harry could feel Cho's thighs against his hips. She was lifting them a bit at a time, sliding the black tights from beneath her robes to brace against his hip bone. He leaned tight to her. She canted her pelvis and Harry felt a heat pressed against him even through the zip of his denims. Cho caught her breath and they broke the kiss for a moment, sharing alook of lust.

Harry glanced down to see that Cho's tights only came up to mid-thigh; the warmth he was feeling was the golden skin exposed from the cuff of her stockings up to her satin knickers. Her heels dug against his robe-covered arse and drew him hard against her once more, ending the glance. Kissing resumed.

He felt like he was tobogganing down a lava flow- the heat, the sense of rush and danger, the idea that a bad choice could be disastrous.

If only I knew how far she wants to go... I WANT to know.

In the back of his mind Harry caught the sound of Cho's desperate breaths echoing. He opened his eyes to stare into hers and when her eyelids parted he could hear that same echo, though much clearer. He grabbed onto it as if it were a climbing rope and dragged his consciousness along its path.

'... I'm so warm... [soft, wet lips and shallow breaths]... there's such a buzz in my chi-ball... Harry's so good at this... as in experienced- he's known a witch? Bet it was Granger, no Weasley... he's mine, now... ugh, the cloth is pinching... lips are getting raw- Oh! His tongue, just in time... he knows me, knows my needs... he wants me and finally I know love-- no I don't, he's just a fifth year, just a boy... UGH! [Pleasure, pain, dampness, shame]... oh, if he nudges his trousers there a few more times, I'll be cumming... no silencing charm... do I care? No! Yes! I'm no slag... I'd be his slag... No- what am I doing?... Mari would hate this... more for me... but I've never gone so far... how far will we go?... If he starts on my clothes I'll stop him/moan like a slut/yell stupidly... what if it's cold?... might be a relief... should let him know... but not yet...tonguing is soooo good... [Pleasure]ah! He hit that spot again... please oh please, rub closer... maybe if Iencourage him...'

Cho's smoky moan into his open mouth shocked Harry out of her thought-stream.

He leaned back, breathing heavily just as she was. Her eyes bounced across his face searching for meaning in their interruption.

Harry locked his gaze with hers and said, "How far do you want to go with this?"

'...how could he ASK THAT... oh, Maeve, what do Isay... gotta be cool... I want your babies... No- that's not cool...'

She let out a kind of pained snort and said,"Wh-what d'you mean? How... how far do you... ? (gulp) Listen, Harry, I've never gone much beyond kissing. Have you?"

'... he's probably done all of Gryffindor, it's not like they study... no, he's new, too/he'll say he's new but he's lying to get you hooked... like it would take much... my cunny is so ready... quivering like afirstie under the Hat... ugh, what an image, just rub me, please!... Iwant him, maybe I can keep him out of danger... Granger-danger, Weasley wildness... step away from those animals in your House... you've been trapped so long, I'll save you, redeem you... '

Harry hadn't replied and Cho's thoughts were accelerating to a point where he couldn't follow half of anything coherent.

With an undertone of panic she said, "I'm guessing you've gone further. But we could have something special, couldn't we?I... I assumed you wanted me to be your girlfriend. Um, do you?"

Harry took a moment to step away from the noise and panic in Cho's head. Once it was quieter he took a breath and thought it through:

A girlfriend? Maybe, but it's not like I have alife to build with someone. The clock is ticking. That fucking, fucking clock. And she's leaving this up to me? Why does this scream 'desperation'? And what will Hols say?

"This bloody life," he said with a groan,"If you'd asked me last year I'd have been the happiest guy alive. But now I have... a mission. I can't promise you the attention that you'd deserve. It also might make things difficult for you. After all, I'm a nutter, aren't I?"

"You... (gulp) you're not saying that because I'm... a virgin, are you?"

"What? No."

"'Cause I'd give it up. I'd give you my--"

"Cho, no. Save it for the better guy who can be aboyfriend to you. I should go. Take care. And I... I really was tempted. It just wouldn't be fair to you."

He slipped out into the corridor to check that the coast was clear. When he turned back to give her a nod Cho was glaring at him.

She hissed, "You will say NOTHING of this, Potter! To anyone!"

"Um... okay."

Cho sniffled as he passed him but wouldn't look at him.

Girls are mental, but I'm starting to get why.

~o~

/"Oh, really?" /the Sounding Stone recited.

Harry was in bed with the curtains closed and Imperturbed allowing them to have a proper conversation rather than trade lines on a scrap of paper.

"I mean I think I'm getting it," he said,"Cho was so torn between what she wanted and how it would look, and wary of any other girls she'd seen me with. There was also this growing fear, or shame- I think it had to do with Cedric."

"Sure- she's still grieving and there's no common rule about how long after your boyfriend dies before you can date again without looking like a slag. Other girls are pretty much looking for a reason to accuse a popular girl of weakness."

"You lot are vicious!"

"The other reason for girls to visit the loo in groups- we can gossip together, but also know that no one is left at the table talking trash about us. Never mind that though- I'm more interested in how you got into her mind so easily."

"I dunno. I just... wanted to get in. Once I'd found the route or path or something it got harder to stay out. We were really close at the time. Once she was a few steps away I couldn't sense the pathway or hear any stray thoughts anymore."

"Ironically your nearsightedness may be reducing the effective range of your passive Legilimency."

"Why is that ironic?"

"You're able to focus on things close at hand but can't see the big picture- kinda how you are in life, too."

"Sod off, that!"

"Love you too, pookie. Brilliant move at the Feast, by the by."

Harry felt warmth spread from his temples down to his neck. "Thanks, Hols."

"It's probably why Erin gave you ahand."

"Who?"

"Erin Moore- Head girl, from Hufflepuff."

"What- d'you think she's into me too?"

"Not in a million years. The only person at Hogwarts more gay than her is the Headmaster."

"No! No way!" Harry stated emphatically. After a minute of nodding to himself he murmured,"Dumbledore? Really?"

"Flowing robes in complementary pastels with fluttering butterflies; night robes with shooting stars, including a matching hat and kerchief; never leaves his office in less than a three-inch heel with shiny silver buckles on his boots that match his belt. Does this scream 'rugby hooligan' to you? The really funny part is that modern muggles don't ham it up the way the ones who grew up being shunned for it do. Nowadays gay pride is just an annual parade, not a lifelong fashion statement."

"The less I think about this the happier I'll be," Harry decided. "Did you find out anything interesting while spying?"

"I did but not in terms of secrets. I kept an eye on Snape during the Feast. He isn't looking at you at all, quite deliberately. I think he's waiting to see how you act towards him. Ginny said that the Headmaster blocked the memory of his participation in how I got'executed'. I'm fairly certain he's found the memory and uncovered at least some of what went on. Not sure what he's thinking, but if you keep your mind on your work and your anger under wraps he might leave you alone."

"Really? What about that bit during the Feast?"

"Oh, Harry- everyone on staff is 'on stage'during the Welcome Feast. Their behavior is under high scrutiny by the new and returning students so they have to fulfill their roles. If Snape let you act out without criticising you it would raise doubts about his true attitudes in half the school including all the children of Death Eaters and our visiting Ministry spy as well."

"Find out anything else?"

"Most kids with an opinion think you're nuts. The only real argument against it is that the Ministry didn't arrest you for killing Cedric whilst in the maze, so something else must have happened."

~o~

The first day of classes included Potions and Defense. Holly was right- Snape had shifted his behavior towards Harry. Rather than taunt him, demean his work and destroy anything good he'd made, the greasy git ignored him entirely, even if his hand was raised. Poor Neville was getting the overflow of criticism that Harry would have normally borne, but Harry was enjoying the chance to brew without that pressure. It occurred to him after class that Snape might be doing more than simply staring or talking at them to screw up their work.

By contrast nearly everything Holly had written about Dolores Jane Umbridge proved to be wrong. She wasn't 'squat, unattractive and chintzy'; she was a humanoid toad dressed like a pink pinata, complete with fly-shaped black ribbon atop her alice-band. She wasn't 'altogether control-minded and otherwise disagreeable'; she was a bloody nightmare whose every movement, grunt and faux-cough was an insult to everyone working or studying at Hogwarts. Holly was right about one thing; provoking Umbridge into treating him like a threat wasn't difficult. One too many outbursts from Harry over her farce of a DADA textbook and related 'teaching' and Harry had detention for the week.

When he returned to bed after the first session he raged at Holly behind the Imperturbed curtains.

"You KNEW she was going to make me use that fucking quill!"

"Welcome to Occlumency, Stage Two-disassociating from pain," the Stone recited.

"This is because of Cho! You're using Umbridge to punish me for almost shagging her."

Holly had to move the Stone back onto her parchment as Harry's angry gesticulations had disrupted their positioning. With a nudge of her nose the runes flashed and the recitation continued; "It really isn't. Cho Chang is of no consequence in my experience. Shag her; don't shag her; just don't let her distract you from learning magic and building your reputation. As you're a wizard, getting a rep as a ladies man can only help you so long as you treat the witches with respect and don't brag about it."

"I don't want to be a ladies man! You're trying to turn me into a slut."

"I'm a slut; you'd be a man-whore, but that's not where you're headed. I'm not trying to do anything but advise you how to survive your battles with Riddle. I recommend that you get involved with someone who can generate the necessary moments of intimacy that'll keep Riddle at bay until your defenses are strong enough not to need them- Hermione and/or Ginny would suit and are trustworthy, but your choices are your own. On the reputation side you've done all you need to in order to get the ball rolling-Cho will complain about the encounter without going into details, leading the grapevine to conclude that she's been shagged and dropped like a one-night stand. If she doesn't speak ill of you people may also assume you're an amazing shag and she's just ashamed she couldn't keep your attention."

"That's not what happened!"

"Why would that matter? We're talking about perception, not truth."

"It should matter. The truth is that I pushed her away because it was happening too fast. I'm not going to steamroll a girl into sex just 'cause she doesn't know how to say 'no'. No one should see anything wrong with that. I just have to explain it somehow."

"They will see everything wrong with it if you try to forestall their condemnation by defending your actions before they're even criticised. Let it go, Harry. Concentrate on the things you can control, like who you are willing to shag."

Harry's frustration with the topic was close to boiling."Hermione and I agreed not to sleep together again and Ginny... wants to wait."

"You've got a problem then. Riddle will be back, and just hearing my praises won't be enough to keep him from snooping. It sounds like Cho was a bit too troubled and self-involved to bring you that sort of emotional high. You might get more bang for your bang if you were to have amoment of intimacy with someone you resp--"

Harry cut her off by shoving the Stone off the bed. He didn't say anything as he rolled over into his covers; they both knew who he really respected, trusted and wanted.

Holly absorbed the ink from her parchment and let it curl shut.

~oOo~

The next night Holly was nowhere to be found. Harry then remembered that he had other avenues for seeking advice and called Sirius on his magic hand mirror. Just trying it out gave him a smile- his father had used this same mirror when he was Harry's age.

"You're looking chipper," Sirius said, "Things going well?"

"No, but I'm really appreciating this gift at the moment."

They shared a grin. Harry spent the next hour giving a summary of all the trouble being stirred up by the new Spy-Professor. Sirius was appropriately sympathetic.

"And McGonagall said to keep your head down?Well, she always was good at giving advice."

"What? Sirius, you don't agree with her, do you?"

"Of course not! Take whatever McGonagall says about behaving and do the opposite- I did that for seven years, making my time at Hogwarts the best years of my life."

Harry heard the pain behind the humour. He said,"Y'know, you're not dead yet. Better years may be had. Or so I've heard it rumoured."

"I heard that rumour, too. I'm working on ways to change my stars. Don't worry on it. Just keep in touch."

"I will. I have a message from Hols as well."

"Oh?"

"She said, 'Drink less, think more.' Also, you owe her 38 Galleons in back pay."

"Saucy cunt." After a pause Sirius muttered, "She's not listening, right?"

~oOo~

'Not to put too fine a point on it, Gingersnap, but what happened to make you give up on Harry?'

Ginny had thought that History of Magic would be as boring as ever but then Holly had popped up and started writing on the flyleaf page of her textbook. She wrote back, 'Too tempting at headquarters. Mum would've ruined it. Also' - it took her several minutes of feigning attention to the lecture before she could continue, '...he's better off fooling around with girls that might help us, like Chang.'

Holly swiped away the writing and scribed, 'Canny thinking on your part. When did you become so un-romantic?'

'I woke up and saw that Harry is just a guy, but one with a lot to shoulder. Besides you already stole the flag on his virginity. Since I'm not the first I want to be the last.'

Vicky Frobisher hissed at her from the desk to her right, whispering, "Who're you talking to?"

Ginny gave her a 'like-I'd-tell-you' look and resituated her textbook for a bit more privacy. She then wrote, 'Why'd you come with me today?'

'Harry's got his assignments and challenges- I'm just a distraction for him at this point. You're available and obviously idle so I'm mentoring you now. Anything you want my thoughts on? Just write it down and I'll put something together.'

Ginny sat back and thought for several minutes whilst ignoring Vicky's escalating attempts to get her attention. She wrote, 'If Iwanted to be as dangerous as you, what should I be doing/studying?'

'I'll get to work on that. Maybe we should start adifferent journal for your training... or create a replica of the first that auto-updates so I don't need to keep visiting both of your dorms any time Ihave a notion to share.'

'You'd give me the same advice you give to Harry?'

'Different emphasis, but yeah.'

Vicky lost her balance in leaning over to see what Ginny was writing, sprawling into the aisle between desks.

Professor Binns spoke up, "Miss Flatbush, Miss Westley; what are you doing?"

Ginny said, "She's trying to copy my notes, Professor Binns."

"What?" Vicky protested, "I get better grades than you!"

"And now we know why."

"I didn't--!"

The Professor stated, "Detention tonight, Miss... er... Fulbright."

Vicky hissed, "You'll pay for that, Weasley."

Ginny scoffed. "Why? He won't remember it if you skive off the detention. Just bugger off."

'What's with your dorm-mate, anyway?'

'Vicky wants to be the center of attention. She'd be the queen of our dorm except I don't give a rip what she thinks and she's too scared of F&G to taunt me.'

'Speaking of the twins, I know what your first lesson is- steal the journal.'

'Are you serious? Harry carries it everywhere. He clutches that thing like... like I did with Riddle's diary.'

'And when he freaks out because it's missing, you can give him back a copy and point out his error; enemies and rivals will notice when you covet something.'

'But brothers won't- at least in my experience.'

~oOo~

Once he had gotten it back from Ginny, Harry agreed to leave the journal in his trunk until needed. This also provided time for Holly to add pages on topics she'd only lightly covered. Each evening after being tortured by Umbridge's quill, Harry hid himself behind the curtains of his bed and used the Sounding Stone to hear Holly's voice echoing his favorite lessons. The effect was nearly as soothing as the pickled Murtlap essence that soaked the inflammation from his detention wounds. It was during one such session that Neville happened to poke his head between the curtains.

"Uh, Harry, everyone is asking where--" but Neville stopped upon hearing a different voice than expected- Holly's voice, emanating from the stone sitting on the open journal next to him.

"-- that in fact most people treat their wand as if it were a multi-tool or perhaps a musical instrument. This isn't far off, but by--"

Harry turned from where he was lounging to glare at the intruder.

"Oh! Sorry, I didn't know there was a girl with you," Neville said, "...wait, there isn't a girl. What are you listening to? It's not the Wizarding Wireless is it? Why would you want to hide that?"

"Shush, wouldya?" Harry complained.

"-- should be treated more as a trained companion like a hunting dog or horse. Each wand is a unique personality, though like certain breeds of hound or steed their temperaments often follow from their genesis- the type of wood and core material used in their... well... conception."

Harry ended the recitation with a tap of his wand to the stone. "I love how she says that. So damned sexy."

"Who is that? Is that a letter?"

Harry looked at Neville, trying to judge the level of trust that the answer required. He said, "It's a study guide given to me by my tutor, Holly."

"The voice didn't sound very Irish."

"She's like McGonagall- the accent only comes out when her dander is up."

"You're right though," Neville mused,"she has a very pleasant voice."

"Pleasant?" Harry scoffed. "Are you telling me that the moment you heard her that you didn't get hard as arock?"

"Harry!" Neville protested as if scandalised. "Blokes don't... talk about each others'... like that!" His shuffling of robes betrayed the truth of the matter. He added, "Well, Seamus does, but--"

Seamus himself walked into the room that moment, in ahuff. "Who's sayin' what about me?"

Harry sat up on his bed. His Irish dormmate's attitude hadn't improved since the first night, owing to their argument derived from Seamus' mother nearly stopping him from returning to Hogwarts due to reports of Harry acting like a nutter.

Neville answered, "I was just saying that you... uhh..."

"'I... uhh...' what? What about me?" Seamus challenged, glaring at both of them.

Harry said, "You tend to talk about hard-ons and hot witches more than anyone else he's known. Can't say I disagree."

"Oh yeah? Why're you talking about that?"

Neville explained, "Well, Harry has this... stone."

Harry tapped his wand on the Stone.

"So, as your wand is much more than a tool, you should spend time getting to know it... intimately. You and your wand are learning magic together. It can become a partnership of give and get, where your words of power flow seamlessly through its center to erupt... as a perfect transfiguration or an enduring charm. A wand speaks for you, but it can only feel and translate your intent if you establish a deep and abiding connection with it."

Seamus slumped against Harry's bedpost and moaned,"Holy God, I think I'm in love. It's like she's making sweet, sweet love to me earbones. Who is that, Potter?"

Neville offered, "That's his tutor, Holly Evans."

"The Irish gell that gave the two fingers to the Wizzingmoot? How do you rate such a lovely?"

"She's... related," Harry said, "on my mother's side."

"Introduce me to her and all is forgiven."

Harry winced. "Wish I could but she's kinda in hiding over assaulting a Ministry official. Tell you what, though. I could let you listen to her lessons with me. Might be interesting."

"I'm in!" Neville gushed, "Count me in!"

"Well if you're playin' it for Longbottom, Imight as well give her a listen."

Dean and Ron joined them soon after, and for the next several nights they all went to sleep listening to Holly's insights into magic, her smoky voice feeding their pleasant if unrelated and quite personal dreams.

~oOo~

Frustrated as he was with interrupted sleep, the added pressure of OWL-year studies and the new professor openly antagonising him, Harry easily earned a second week of detentions with Umbridge along with the ire of Angelina Johnson, Gryffindor's new Quidditch captain.

He had missed the try-outs where Ron got the Keeper position and nearly missed their first practice as well. In some ways he wished he had missed it- mostly it was a fiasco about Ron losing his nerve. Harry's friend had already been doubting his choice to sign up, but when the Slytherins decided that Gryffindor Quidditch practice was better than Vaudeville, Ron seemed trapped into proving them correct. The pinnacle of slapstick was Ron's pass to Katie Bell at sufficient force to break her nose.

Harry was frustrated with Ron's bumbling as well, and offered to treat Katie at the pitch rather than send her off to Madam Pomfrey... or try one of the dodgy sweets the twins offered her.

Katie sat down with him on a bench at ground level. While Harry took a look at the damage they chatted, at first only to distract from the howling Slytherins in the stands above them. He applied a charm to stop the blood running down her face then asked her, "Ron was better during the try-outs, right?"

Katie tried to nod but Harry held her head tight at the temples to aid in his aim. She murmured, "It was more a selection based on character. The other ones weren't worse so much as harder to tolerate. Don't tell anyone I said it but sometimes I think our House gets all the glory-hogs."

He let her blink a few more times then warned her to keep absolutely still. A carefully aimed wand, the incanted, "/Episkey/," and Katie yelped. Harry let her go.

After a pause she moved and twitched her nose, making a hum of impressed satisfaction. "You're good at that. A lotta practice?"

"My tutor encourages learning by doing. The Weasleys and I ended up with a couple dislocations apiece while practising hexes at the end of summer. Yours is the first nose I've fixed but it worked."

"And the clotting spell?"

"Actually a mild desiccation hex. Blood makes aclot by sticking together as it dries out."

"You know a lot about the body, do you?"

"Not the internal stuff yet. Just the surface." Noting Katie's attentive expression, Harry shifted to a more teasing tone. "Y'know... skin, face, lips, how we breathe, how your body will react to pressure."

Katie's eyes flared. She nudged him and said, "Y'know, if you wanted a Quidditch girl you didn't hafta go Seeking in other Houses."

"I didn't! Cho was--"

Angelina yelled, "Oi! Get back in the air if she's fixed, Potter!"

They jumped up from the bench and grabbed their brooms. Harry stopped her before she mounted and cast one more spell towards her face and neck. "/Tergeo/."

"What was that for?"

"Cleaned off the blood. If you're gonna stain your uniform with it we should make sure it's from them." Harry gestured towards their audience in robes trimmed with green and silver.

Katie made a kittenish roaring sound and smiled.

~oOo~

"Umbridge's latest decree disbanded all clubs and teams- even the House Quidditch teams."

Sirius' sarcasm was easy to pick up from over the mirror. "Maybe you shouldn't have put up notices for your new Defense club everywhere."

"It was a legitimate club," Harry protested, "There's Charms club, at least two potions study groups, Arithmancy- though I've heard it ends up as a politics debate half the time."

"What does Arithmancy have to do with--?"

"Asking the wrong guy, Sirius. I don't even take the class. Anyway, we wanted Umbridge to be forced to act on it as a policy. Everyone knows that she doesn't teach her subject and everyone saw or heard that we were trying to make up for it. It shows that she did this to attack me and didn't mind hurting everyone else in the process. I look like the sane one."

"Huh. Does everyone know that or are you just hoping they see it your way?"

"Well... the message may have gotten lost whilst everyone was begging her to let them reform their groups."

"And did you ask Dear Dolores to allow the DADA club?"

"Hermione did. She came back nearly in tears. I've never seen her hair so frizzy, either."

"Girl needs a good shag to untwist her knickers."

"Don't we all?"

Sirius barked a laugh in agreement.

~oOo~

It was Friday again. Harry was missing another practice, this time for being caught saying 'Slinkhard knows nothing about defence. He's an expert at writing for the Ministry. Probably has his NEWTS in Brown-nosing and Bribery.' It was a one-night detention but chosen to screw with his world as much as possible. Angelina had just secured permission to reform the Gryffindor team but Harry wouldn't be there to join them.

Harry looked at the blank page of parchment and sighed. If he concentrated on maintaining a mask he could almost ignore the pain, but it took a lot of effort. If he just let himself get angry the scratching hurt less at the start but got worse as the aggression wore down. He really didn't have the energy for either. He took off his glasses, rested his chin on the desk and picked up the quill.

Scratch. Scrape. The wound opened on the 'm' in'must' almost immediately. He could see at this close range just how the layers of skin were carved away with each stroke of the quill on parchment.

Scritch. Twinge. The wince interrupted his tracking of the rounding in the 'e' of 'tell'. He went over it several times more until the shape suited him.

Carve. Trim. A signal along his forearm told him the curves in the 's' were too shallow- they didn't hurt enough. He wrote over the letter again. He had to wipe away some blood that was obscuring the ridge on one of the 'l's- the one that was too short compared to the other 'l's.

"Mr. Potter!"

He looked up. Night had fallen while he'd been concentrating on his craftsmanship.

Toad-face looks sickly and afraid. Isn't this what she wanted?

He sat up and then looked down at the desk. Blood had stained most of the parchment and a third of the desk surface. He regarded the gougings on his hand- they appeared to be deep enough to expose tendons. He'd wanted them to resemble etchings on a gravestone. Instead, the piece of skin at the center of the 'o' reminded him of a pencil eraser. Oh well.

He turned back to the Professor. "Are we done then?"

"Y-yes, Mr. Potter. It is nearly curfew and the... message seems to have sunk in."

He regarded her queerly. Am I supposed to laugh at that?

"Off with you. Now."

Harry left the office, holding his freshly-carved hand upright to reduce swelling and keep the blood flow down. Of course it hurt- just as much as it was supposed to, making the pain unremarkable.

Harry trudged his way back out of her office and set course towards Gryffindor, his mind occupied in planning how to treat his wounds. Several stairs and halls later he was interrupted by a strange, nasally wheeze.

"Scarhead, out after curfew? Must be my birthday or something. And just look at that wand-hand. I bet you couldn't cast so much as a sneezing jinx right now."

Harry stared at Malfoy as he approached from an alcove.

Must've been waiting for me. Foolish.

After an uncomfortable pause Malfoy asked, "What is it with you this year, Potter? Every time I catch you you're staring at me. Not a buggerer, are you? Is that it? You fancy me?"

'Actually I was considering how to dispose of your corpse.' Probably shouldn't say that. He might get a swelled head, thinking Icare that much about his blathering. Harry said,"Really, alot, no."

Katie Bell came around a corner and called to him,"Harry! Just come from practice and-- oh my God, what happened to your hand?!"

"Detention keepsake."

"Sod off, Bell," Malfoy said, "Potter here is in violation of the rules."

"He is not." Katie replied as she approached and took a hold of Harry's wounded hand.

The clock tower began tolling the nine o'clock curfew.

"Now he is," Malfoy declared with a smile.

"I'm a prefect and escorting him to hospital besides, so you can sod off about your rules being broken." Malfoy seemed unmoved, so Katie pointed down the hallway and reiterated, "Sod off!"

They watched Malfoy stroll off down the corridor. Once he was out of sight Harry said, "It's really not worth a trip to hospital. If I go Madam Pomfrey will strap me to a bed for three days. Malfoy would love to gloat over that."

"You need to get it treated."

"I'll teach you the spells if you can do the wandwork- it's a bit clumsy, trying to cast onto your own hand."

"Yeah, alright."

They found an empty classroom a few hallways closer to Gryffindor, just in case Malfoy tried to harass them further. Katie was very attentive to Harry's instructions and soon he had a numbing charm and aconjured clean bandage bound in place. He flexed his fingers a few times to test for feeling. He looked up at Katie's eyes. When she noticed and looked back he said, "Very well done. Thanks."

'First catch their attention, then give earnest praise- they'll take it as heartfelt.' Simple yet effective- Katie has a nice blush and smile now.

"Th-thanks, Harry."

"You were looking for me."

"I was, but just to tell you Angie isn't replacing you yet."

"Good." She's still staring. What's on your mind, Katie?

He felt more than heard the echo of thought but couldn't make it out. Reflexively he touched her arm and things cleared up.

'... Is he really? ... haven't noticed me before ... neither did I ... was hard to see him different than a firstie, but now ... he's leaning closer ... did I say something? ... what did I say?'

"Harry? What's up?"

'... the way he's looking is hungry ... kinky? ... more like scary ... this isn't like Harry!'

She pulled back in his grip and said, "Uh... m-maybe we should go?"

Harry grasped her arm tighter. Her thoughts dissolved into fear.

"You're hurting me. Harry, stop!"

He shook himself hard, finally breaking himself out of his detachment. When he looked up at Katie she was wary, cradling her own arm that she'd tore from his grip.

"Oh... Katie, I'm so sor--," but he cut off the apology. Actually I think in this case, it's owed.

"What just happened?" she asked.

Harry paused only a second to ask himself how much trust Katie was due along with the apology. He explained, "It's this thing with Umbridge. She makes me carve into my hand and I have to... shut my feelings away just to bear through it. God. I'm so sorry. Really."

He could feel the ease coming from her, and the change as her panic quieted down and shifted into concern.

"You look like hell, Harry."

"Not sleeping well; can't catch up when I'm cutting into my hand 3 hours a night. So, yeah. Sorry." He stood up."I should go."

Katie stood up as well, but wrapped him in a hug. He sank into it, his arms loosely returning the embrace. She held him for aminute, then giggled. "Not that I'm wanting to see that scary face of yours again but what were you thinking just then?"

"How to get your clothes off without freaking you out. You're damned sexy, Katie."

She leaned back and looked at him with surprise.

"I've wanted to say so for a while," he admitted.

"Wha- yeah? Why didn't you say so?"

"'Cause I was a stupid git,"

She teased, "That hasn't changed."

"Maybe not but now I'm a stupid git that can say stuff like that." Harry smiled and reiterated, "I think you're sexy."

She blushed and ran a hand through her hair."I'm all a mess. Muddy and sweaty from practice."

"I must be smitten or something then, 'cause Istill want a taste."

"Harry, you're not going to fall in love with your nurse, are you?"

Harry's smile faded. He looked down to the floor."No, this isn't... "

Katie cupped his face and turned it towards her."Not love, just a taste. I get it. Happened to me in OWL year, too. I bet half the school loses their virginity then." She then leaned in and kissed him. For a while.

Harry felt honest affection for Katie. They'd joined the Quidditch team together and had supported each other with a kind word when neither was quite sure if the whole thing was just a prank by the twins somehow. They'd gone their own ways for classwork, of course, and Harry was often distracted by some adventure or catastrophe in progress, but he felt very relaxed and comfortable with Katie.

She must have felt similarly comfortable, as she made no protest when he pulled off her cloak and jersey, nor when he propped her onto a spare desk along the wall so he could peel her boots and trousers off her legs. Katie became a bit anxious when Harry's kissing along a bare leg came ever higher on her tender inner thigh. He had promised to taste her, but she wasn't chuffed to have him diving between her legs when she felt so unwashed.

"Are you sure?"

Her shaking head confused the issue.

"You're not sure?"

She clarified, "I reeeeally don't need more foreplay!"

He rose to standing, releasing his cock from his clothing to her delight. She reached down to move aside her knickers and guide him into her soaked privates. They both canted their hips to finish the insertion with a loud grunt.

Neither of them moved for a moment. He locked eyes with Katie and heard the same thought that had given him pause- 'that feels fantastic... but probably should do the protection charms and such.'

They drew their wands, giggled at their complimentary mindsets, and then cast a few spells apiece to aid in their comfort and risk-free enjoyment. The moving and shifting made this a bit more difficult for Katie, as she was being prodded and provoked by his erection with every change in position. Tossing her wand over her shoulder, Katie gripped Harry's shoulders at the neck and dragged him into a torrid snog that ended only when Harry began sliding his cock along the slick, sensitized path into her core.

They kept a slow pace, enjoying the process of coming together rather than rushing towards a conclusion. Katie appreciated this and kissed Harry every few minutes to tell him so. Even with this control, Harry felt Katie's rising enjoyment. He kept track of her wants with a bare skim of her thoughts when they snogged, and knew when 'deliberate' should change to'insistent'.

She orgasmed, the climax evident in how her muscles clenched up, drawing her into a ball wrapped around his pelvis. When it passed she quavered in his arms from overstimulation. He took the time to kiss along her collarbone and then down to nuzzle her breasts. Katie breathed a sigh, moaned and then tilted his head up to snog him, prompting their shagging to resume an ascending rhythm.

She never said anything or cried out but her heavy breaths would change pattern- short and clipped when they were ramping up, deep and deliberate as her climax came over her, shifting to almost a plaintive sound when his pistoning was restimulating her desire. After her fourth orgasm Harry lost all sense of the moment. He found himself drifting in a cloudy pool of pleasure and let the waves of joy wash over him.

Katie smacked him awake. "Harry! You alright?"

"What happened?"

"You climaxed and fell backwards."

"Oh. Brilliant. Did I lose you?"

"Eh, no- I was climaxing too, so I just... held tight and kept riding. Sorry."

At this point he noticed that they were sitting on the floor, Katie still impaled on his fading erection but propped above him, her breasts swaying with her movements.

"I'm not." He smiled which made her smile and lean down to kiss him. He breathed in her joy and relief and arousal... he cupped a breast with one hand and gripped her arse with the other, encouraging her to grind into him again.

"Again?" she gasped.

"Well yeah- I missed the end just now. I want to feel you all the way through."

They removed the rest of their clothing (in Katie's case just a long sock and her stretched loose knickers), and then settled into another slow and glorious fuck on the floor, cushioned by their robes and a few charms to make the stone floor soft as pillows. She rode him through cycles of pleasure, adjusting their positions subtly with each iteration, searching for their best mutual joy. Harry finally climaxed again when he'd shifted to sitting up so he could lick and nuzzle her breasts as they ground pelvises. Katie climaxed soon after, then slumped to rest her forehead on his shoulder while she got her breathing to settle. They heard the bell tolling for eleven o'clock.

"D'you... (gulp) do you always do a girl until she can't walk?"

He laughed. "There's not much 'always' to compare, but shouldn't I? It seems a worthy goal."

"I thought you... this can't possibly be your first time."

"No, but aside from a snog or two I've only been with Holly."

"Your tutor? That doesn't sound cricket."

"Depends on how you look at it. She wasn't hired to teach me magic- she's teaching me to be a... a public figure, Isuppose."

"And naturally that means teaching you how to shag? How bizarre."

"But effective, yeah?"

Katie laughed. "Can't deny that. I'd vote for you."

They disentangled and then dressed each other. Katie took another look at his bandage- the blood had seeped through a little, but not much considering how Harry'd been using the hand to touch her or brace his movements.

They approached Gryffindor tower to find Angelina was waiting for them. As soon as she saw them Angelina started yelling.

"Really?! Our practice goes to shite, but at least you two will be happy. Teammates can't date! You'll be distracted! Either break it off or I drop one of you- possibly both!"

Harry snorted. "And your relationship with Fred-how's that going?"

"I'm captain- it's different. Think you're so special, Potter? I don't! You're good but you're not irreplaceable."

Katie mumbled, "You said the opposite just last night at supper."

"That wasn't-- I'm -- damnit I'm trying to captain a team, here. I don't need Harry's nuttiness ruining it."

Harry fair to exploded at that point. "My nuttiness?! This is the last bit of normal I have left, Angie! Everything else is a tower of rocks about to collapse on my head, but up on the pitch it's just balls, brooms and hoops. Nothing else matters during a match, and I cherish that. Nothing that happens before or after a practice or a game will get in the way of my dedication to playing. Don't you go helping Umbridge to take this away from me!"

His yell echoed in the hall, as they'd all been shocked into silence.

"Probation, for both of you," Angelina muttered, "and that's just because I don't wanna give Umbitch any more reason to ruin our squad."

They watched her stalk off towards the tower entrance.

"Thought you said you were exhausted, but you shagged me silly, blew up at Angelina--"

"I am, but now at least I know I'll sleep through the night."

"And probably a large part of Saturday." Katie smiled, stepped close and then rested her arms on his shoulders as she kissed him. "So. Balls, brooms and hoops?"

"Heh. Yeah."

"Sorta like this thing we've got going."

He sputtered out a laugh and nodded. "Yeah. How're your hoops Katie?"

"A bit wore out, Harry. But give me time to freshen up and we'll play another match. Can we... um... ?"

"What?"

"Can we keep it quiet? No bragging, no gossiping- just let it be our thing?"

"I'd really be happy with that but you'll have to convince Angelina."

"Oh, right. So much for that idea."

"You think she'd betray you like that- talk behind your back?"

"Harry, there's a saying amongst the witches of Hogwarts- a secret exists between two people. Once a third person knows it'll become gossip about as fast as you don't want it to."

"Huh. So the less we care, the slower it'll get out?"

"I suppose. Why?"

"I really like you. I really liked this. I don't give a shite who knows that- there's nothing embarrassing about it."

"But we're not dating."

"And yet we're happier than most couples I've seen around here. More power to us, eh?"

"More power to us."

They returned to Gryffindor, exchanging a kiss outside the door (and out of view of the portrait of the Fat Lady) but entering the common room as friends.

Harry woke up Sunday morning to find a copy of the Daily Prophet at the foot of his bed. The headline said 'Potter: Depraved?'with several related subarticles including a five-page dossier on Katie Bell.

~oOo~

Author's Note: this wouldn't have taken half as long if I'd stuck to my original plan of this being a sex romp- Harry would have bagged Cho, Katie and probably snuck in another non-penetrative sex thing with Hermione with no consequences at all. Instead I'm trying for realism and character consistency. Whatever was I thinking?

Revised with more naked Katie... because there isn't enough naked Katie. There will never be enough naked Katie.
Sign up to rate and review this story