Categories > Comics > Calvin and Hobbes

Hippies Vs. Occupy Wall Street -

by GoodmanGoodman55

The Hippies - Fighting Hate With Love Vs. OWS - Fighting Discouragement With Hate:Occupy Wall Street failed where others triumphed - WHY? I'd lik

Category: Calvin and Hobbes - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Erotica - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2017-02-16 - 749 words

?Blocked
The Hippies - Fighting Hate With Love Vs. OWS - Fighting Discouragement With Hate:
Occupy Wall Street failed where others triumphed - WHY? I'd like to explain why I think it failed, the lessons which should be learned and the connections it might have to Fkk Portal along with other fkk organizations.
So what was Inhabit Wall Street? Basically it was an anarchist "leaderless" movement that, in other words, wanted to stop capitalism. They offered up no real solutions to any of the problems but protested the things they didn't approve of in society now.
Hippies Fight Hate With Love

The Inhabit movement bears a striking similarity to Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin's "Fresh Left" movement of the late 60's and early 70's. Both the New Left and Occupy movements brought defeated individuals who lost all trust in the economic and political systems in America. Both were out to shake up the status quo with the hopes of running a societal revolution / societal coup.
Neither were really looking to solve the dilemmas and work within the current system. They did not believe in the election system nor did they feel that any change could be brought about unless the governments were to be taken over and reconstructed from scratch. There were no recognized goals or standards for success and both were more revolutionaries than "evolutionaries." They both used negativity to bring focus to their efforts and getting arrested on national TV was considered awesome!
In the instance of of Inhabit Wall Street, individuals behind the scenes, pulling the strings, used lie and flat out lies to get focus. With the assistance of some reporters they put out fake statements to bring attention.
Their first huge hoax was their statement that Radio Head (a popular music group) was going to preform when in fact, no such occasion was planned. People flocked by hundreds to see the group preform and once they got there, they were greeted by scores of Occupiers who began preaching. Needless to say, many people were put off by this publicity stunt, but at the same time it gave OWS the chance to address hundreds of fresh potential supporters. Those that remained must have quickly forgotten that they were lied to.
In marked comparison to the New Left (and the OWS ideals) was the hippie movement. The hippie movement, which was part of the "Old Left," was out to address specific societal issues and needed to create something new rather than destroy the existing system. Hippies desired to stop the war in Vietnam, they wanted equal rights, more endurance and used positive messages to acquire support.
Each of the preceding movements appealed to quite distinct demographics. The hippie movement of the late sixties sparked something within a particular demographic that believed in nonviolent ways to address dilemmas.
Nude Hippies at Woodstock 1969
The Occupy Wall Street movement, was about anarchy and completely shattering the status quo. Since they believed that lies and misinformation were acceptable means to get attention, they appealed to those with quite different value systems (or the lack thereof) than those who supported the hippies.
Just considering the impact of these social movements you can see that history does have a tendency to repeat itself. The New Left got its media attention when they protested at the 1968 democratic convention in Chicago. But shortly thereafter, these leaders and the movement they created dwindled and pretty much evaporated without making as much of an impact as they would have enjoyed.
The Original Chicago 8
Take Wall Street is going through the exact same thing. They set out to topple the status quo and have very little to show by way of positive impacts. The hippie movement disappeared over time also, but they created a legacy that's felt and discussed to this very day. Their achievements in areas of civil rights and the Vietnam War had a significant impact on America. They also had a clear impact on the artwork in all its various facets. Their ideals are echoing still now in music, artwork, and in everyday life.
What I am basically trying to say is that while anger and fury are strong motivators, Love has staying power. Young Naturists America isn't about taking away, it is about building on what currently exists and trying to correct much of the social issues that plague society today. We are not leeching off of others' success, we are developing a subculture that is completely separate and different.
Make Love Not War
Sign up to rate and review this story