Categories > Original > Romance

The Users and The Used

by TeamAlphaQ

As an Omega, the one thing Izaya craved most was control. Despite all the forces against him, he'd persevered and made a life for himself, free from oppressive Alphas. But there was one Alpha he co...

Category: Romance - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Warnings: [V] [X] - Published: 2017-04-26 - 2079 words

?Blocked
Since he’d first understood the difference between the user and the used, the messed up world of Alphas, Betas, and Omegas had made sense to Izaya Orihara. It had made sense to him because, from that moment on, he didn’t have to follow what the rest of the world was telling him to do. He could be in control.

As an Omega, control was hard to come by. He was supposed to be submissive, powerless, weak… That wasn’t his style. Izaya preferred power. It didn’t matter that biology and years of stereotypes were against him, he prevailed. He didn’t give himself another option.

Everyone knew and feared him. There wasn’t an Alpha around who would even try abusing him, using him or hurting him. Izaya was safe because he abused, used and hurt others first. No one could touch him. He was a god. God of a strange and twisted world, ruled by things you couldn’t change and problems that never went away.

But for every god, there’s a monster.

And for every Omega, there’s one Alpha that can’t be ignored.

Needless to say, Izaya hated this one Alpha, this one terrible person that made his skin itch. There would never be anything between them, Izaya had seen to that, but that didn’t stop him from trying to widen the gap at every opportunity. They fought, they clashed, they despised and that was the way he liked it.

This Alpha was a beast, not fit to be called human. To Izaya, he was the embodiment of everything he hated. Dominating, driven by emotion and out of control, he was an Alpha through and through. Izaya couldn’t stand it.

But biology dictated that he had to.

Luckily, he knew how to cope. He just took suppressants, kept a blade between them at all times and ran away when it became too much. It was ridiculously easy, made all the more simple because he hated the Alpha, his supposed ‘soul mate’, with all of his being.

And as long as he followed his own rules and didn’t screw up, the Alpha would have no reason to ever stop hating him.

He intended to follow his self-made law to the death.

))))-((((

“Izaya, I’m telling you this isn’t healthy.” Shinra was whining about his choices again. But the doctor always whined about his choices so Izaya wasn’t really bothered by it. “Taking suppressants this heavily is going to come back to bite you.”

Izaya waved off Shinra’s concerned words, much like he waved off most things Shinra said. “I’m fine Shinra. I’ve done it for years, I know how to handle myself.” And it was true, he did. He’d perfected the perfect balance when it came to suppressing his heat versus surviving the agony of going through it. Shinra really didn’t have room to speak, seeing as he was a Beta and had never had to weigh the physical pros and cons.

“I’m only looking out for you Izaya.” Shinra sounded hurt, which made Izaya want to laugh. He didn’t really care, he just wanted to find an excuse to do tests on the raven. Naturally, Izaya wasn’t having any of it.

“And I’m only doing my job Shinra,” he explained for the millionth time in a row. “I can’t be leaking pheromones everywhere, it just isn’t good for business.” Or for my image, or for my health, or for anything… More people knew he was an Omega than he would have liked but that didn’t mean the world knew. So far, most people didn’t actually know what Izaya was.

Izaya wanted to keep it that way. Preferably forever.

The doctor sighed softly and reluctantly passed him the pill bottle. “Very well Izaya. I’m still asking you to be careful though…”

Someday, Izaya would have to get around to listening to Shinra.

Dodging a trashcan, Izaya slipped behind the furious, bleach-blond ex-bartender and slashed his knife upward, laughing as it just missed the nape of his neck. The beast of a man, Shizuo Heiwajima, rounded on him and charged with a yell of, “I’m gonna kill you Izaya!”

“Oh Shizu-chan,” Izaya taunted, wagging his knife reproachfully. “Surely a big, strong Alpha like you should be able to keep your temper in check.” Shizuo bared his teeth and growled. “What?” Izaya asked innocently, perching atop a vending machine that would no doubt be pulled out from under him in a moment. “Are words just too hard for your tiny brain to comprehend?”

The vending machine did indeed vanish. “Shut up you shitty flea!” Shizuo bellowed, his cigarette flying from his mouth. “I’ve told you to keep the hell out of my city a million times!” Izaya rolled, landing smoothly on the pavement before taking off again.

“Shizu-chan,” Izaya chided, just barely avoiding being impaled by a ‘no parking’ sign. “It’s not your city.” The sign went through the window of the shop behind him. “Besides, you’re so much fun to play with!”

And it was true because out of all the Alphas in Tokyo that Izaya had managed to make enemies with, the only one he had any fun playing with was a half monster who would throw a street sign at him as soon as look at him. Not that he was really complaining, he hated Shizuo as much as the beast hated him, if not more.

That didn’t make these fights any less exhilarating or enjoyable.

“This isn’t a fucking game!” Shizuo roared, oblivious to the terror of random passers-by and the sheer, refreshing ludicrousy of the situation. There was something so utterly ridiculous about these life or death fights Izaya threw himself into without a second thought that made them delightful, even if he loathed Shizuo.

One of the reasons he bothered was because, for his continued survival, it was imperative that Shizuo keep hating him.

Why?

Well, it all started in high school, around the time that Izaya had first discovered that he’d been cursed to live life as a rare male Omega. The bio teacher kept droning on about why he was supposedly special, Shinra wouldn’t stop fantasizing about dissecting one and Izaya was realizing that special didn’t mean equal.

It meant weak and useless.

Of course, Izaya had decided from the moment of his first, and most shockingly agonizing, heat of his life, that he would never let himself be used like most Omegas ended up being used. Therefore, when one of his female teachers started waxing romantic about Alphas and Omegas finding their soul mate, Izaya had ignored her. It was all stupid after all and it didn’t even try to fit in with his grander plans. It was all just a nuisance.

Actually, it was more of a flashing warning sign.

Izaya had ignored it, he was rather good at ignoring things he decided wouldn’t further his knowledge of the world. He’d made an art of it.

Then he’d met Shizuo.

Shinra insisted, he had humored his strange friend and had ended up finding the perfect enemy, the embodiment of everything he detested. An Alpha who couldn’t even control being what he was. A super human whose aspirations were so hopelessly mundane that Izaya couldn’t stop laughing.

It was a rivalry made in heaven, until the fateful day, right in the middle of one of Shizuo’s ruts, when Izaya realized that maybe that teacher hadn’t been making things up.

He hadn’t set himself boundaries yet, hadn’t fully taken into account how dangerous messing around with an Alpha could be and as a result, Izaya hadn’t even contemplated leaving Shizuo alone while he was rutting, leaking pheromones everywhere. It had been just a normal fight, maybe a bit more fire behind it than usual but nothing too terrifying.

Except Izaya’s sudden awareness that Shizuo smelled heavenly. That was the first sign.

He’d never paid attention before, but out of nowhere, the pheromones that Shizuo was giving off made him want to get on his hands and knees and beg the beast to screw him until he couldn’t remember his own name. That scared Izaya, badly.

And made him hate the beast more. Hate him for being an Alpha and for somehow being irresistible.

Then Shizuo had touched him, just lightly brushed him with his fingertips during their high-speed chase and it was all Izaya could do not to collapse right then and there. Because he’d felt it, that longing, needy, submissive feeling that he despised.

And he’d realized that this monster, this protozoan Alpha who was as reckless as he was fun to play with, was his destined mate.

Someone in the universe hated Izaya, clearly.

Thankfully, Izaya had long since perfected the art of spitting in the universe’s face. So Shizuo was supposed to be his happy ending, so what? He hated the beast and he sure as hell didn’t need an Alpha. He would die before he let the beast touch him like that.

And there started Izaya’s rise to the top, desperate to put as much distance between himself and Shizuo as possible. That didn’t mean he didn’t fight the beast at every opportunity he got, it just meant he started taking suppressants to disguise his being an Omega and was very careful about Shizuo touching him.

Judging by the smashed window behind the gleeful informant, even all these years later, he was still going strong. Shizuo still hated him, and Izaya still wished for the monster’s death as much as ever.

Shame he was going into heat soon. This was one of those times he couldn’t just suppress it. Izaya had heard way too many stories about suppressants becoming ineffective if overused to risk it. He’d have to take a week’s break from life so his body could go through hell.

Izaya hated being an Omega.

“Kill kill kill!” Shizuo’s chant filled the air as Izaya dashed through an alley and burst out into the glaring sunlight on the other end, grinning as Shizuo overshot it and almost collided with the wall. He danced through the swell of people, loving how they parted for him, giving him the respect he deserved. Of course, they didn’t see an Omega who had fought tooth and nail to get where he was and an Alpha who just took the power he had for granted, but they didn’t need to see.

Izaya would keep that particular dynamic to himself. His humans just needed to revere him as they would a god and fear Shizuo as they would a monster.

A street sign whistled through the air and Izaya only barely managed to dodge in time. “Careful Shizu-chan,” he taunted, eyes narrowed to mocking slits. “You might hurt someone.” He practically cackled as his blade flashed again, slashing the monster’s upper arms and infuriating him more.

That’s right, hate me because it’s so much easier than ever finding out the alternative.

“It’s your fault!” The anger rolling of Shizuo seemed to darken as he lunged for the raven, almost catching him but not quite. Izaya inhaled, ready to throw another insult Shizuo’s way when the smell hit him. Glorious, intoxicating and oh.. so... dangerous.

Instantly Izaya snapped to high alert. That scent was his warning to get away. Apparently, Shizuo was on the verge of rutting. Leaping back on limbs that threatened to grow heavy, Izaya quickly plotted his escape before calling, “Well Shizu-chan, it’s been fun but I really must be going.” Shizuo’s pheromones were making him feel weak and needy, a terrible thing to be feeling when faced with an enemy.

Even as Shizuo charged at him, Izaya lunged away and sprinted into an alley, flying up the convenient fire escape and taking to the rooftops. Only once the delicious smell of Alpha faded did Izaya allow himself to breathe. Noticing the telltale tightness of his skin and the beginning flashes of pain, Izaya cursed. He’d cut that battle too close.

Now he had to get back to his apartment before his heat started in earnest.

I hate that beast.
Sign up to rate and review this story