Categories > Original > Drama

Common Clues Of A High Functioning Alcoholic (HFA)

by ChandlerDam1

Hi there and welcome. While alcoholism is a disastrous conditi

Category: Drama - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Crossover - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2017-11-26 - 614 words

?Blocked
While alcoholism is a disastrous condition that can destroy lives, a few people who struggle with it manage to hold down big responsibilities and stressful jobs. From the outside, these so-called high-functioning problem drinkers seem to have it all together. They can drive great cars, live in good communities, and make a substantial income.

However, just because they are high-functioning doesn't mean that they are immune to the repercussions of alcohol. They are still at risk of harming themselves and others around them. A pilot nursing a hangover, a surgeon with trembling hands, or a financier managing large sums of money are each at-risk of inducing terrible disasters if they stay on their dysfunctional course.

Here are a number of clues that can really help in identifying these time bombs:

1. They drink instead of eating.

Alcoholics will often remove and replace meals with a few drinks, lose interest in food completely, or use mealtime as an excuse to begin consuming alcohol.

2. They can get out of bed without a hangover, even after several drinks.

Consuming alcohol regularly over a substantial period of time can cause the physical body to become addicted to alcohol. Regularly high-functioning alcoholics are able to drink a lot without the same hangover that afflicts the occasional drinker.

3. Abstaining makes them irritable, anxious, or uncomfortable.

If an alcoholic is required to avoid drinking, his or her body regularly reciprocates adversely, as they depend on the tranquillizing effects of alcohol. Sudden quitting can trigger tension and anxiety, nervousness, sweating, a rapid heart rate, and even seizures.

4. Their behavior patterns transform significantly while under the influence of alcohol.

When they drink, alcoholics may alter significantly. A generally mild-mannered person may become aggressive, or make careless decisions.

5. They cannot have just two drinks.

A problem drinker has a problem quiting, and may even finish others' drinks. Alcohol will certainly never be left on the table, and there is always an excuse for one more round.


6. Periods of memory loss or "blacking out" are common.

Many alcoholics will take part in activities that they have no recollection of the next day. They may not appear significantly intoxicated at the time, but they're not able to recall activities that happened.

7. Attempts to talk about drinking habits are met with aggression and denial.

When confronted with problems surrounding their alcohol consumption, heavy users will typically regress to denial or hostility, making discussion difficult.

8. They always have a good explanation for why they drink.

Most problem drinkers will have a relatively rational explanation for their actions if flat denial or hostility is not the opted for method of avoidance. Stress and anxiety at the workplace, problems in the home, or an abundance of social functions are typical reasons to explain their damaging behavior.

9. They hide their alcohol.

Many problem drinkers will drink alone, or sneak drinks from a bottle in a desk or in their car. This kind of covert alcohol consumption is an enormous red flag and there is no other explanation for their actions other than alcoholism.

Let's keep our community productive, safe, and sober by always keeping our eyes open for problematic behavior to get these troubled colleagues, family members, and friends the assistance they need.

Symptoms of a High Functioning Alcoholic

From the outside, these so-called high-functioning alcoholics seem to have it all together. They can drive nice cars, live in great neighborhoods, and make a substantial income.

Just because they're high-functioning doesn't mean that they're invulnerable to the effects of alcohol. A pilot nursing a hangover, a surgeon with shaky hands, or a financier handling large amounts of money are each at-risk of triggering terrible disasters if they stay on their destructive path.
Sign up to rate and review this story