Categories > Original > Drama

Alcohol Consumption Can Trigger Changes In The Structure And Operation Of The Developing Brain

by LanierMcgowan2

Hi and welcome. Alcohol can trigger alterations in the a

Category: Drama - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Parody - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2017-12-20 - 605 words

?Blocked
Alcohol can trigger alterations in the architecture and operation of the growing brain, which continues to grow into an individual's mid 20s, and it might have repercussions reaching far beyond adolescence.

In adolescence, brain development is characterized by dramatic modifications to the brain's architecture, neural connections ("electrical wiring"), and physiology. These transformations in the brain disturb everything from developing sexuality to emotions and judgment.

Not all parts of the juvenile brain mature at the same time, which might put an adolescent at a disadvantage in certain scenarios. The limbic regions of the brain develop earlier than the frontal lobes.

How Alcohol Alters the Human Brain
Alcohol affects an adolescent's brain growth in many ways. The results of juvenile drinking on particular brain activities are discussed below.
Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. Alcohol can seem to be a stimulant because, before anything else, it suppresses the portion of the brain that manages inhibitions.

CEREBRAL CORTEX-- Alcohol reduces the cerebral cortex as it works with details from an individual's senses.

CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM-- When a person thinks about something he desires his body to undertake, the central nervous system-- the brain and the spinal cord-- sends a signal to that part of the body. Alcohol slows down the central nervous system, making the person think, converse, and move less quickly.

FRONTAL LOBES -- The human brain's frontal lobes are important for planning, forming ideas, decision making, and exercising self-control.

An individual may find it tough to manage his or her feelings and urges once alcohol impairs the frontal lobes of the brain. The person may act without thinking or may even get violent. Consuming alcohol over an extended period of time can harm the frontal lobes permanently.

HIPPOCAMPUS-- The hippocampus is the portion of the human brain in which memories are created.
When alcohol reaches the hippocampus, a person may have difficulty recalling something she or he just learned, such as a person's name or a phone number. This can take place after just one or two alcoholic beverages.
Drinking a lot of alcohol quickly can trigger a blackout-- not having the ability to remember whole happenings, such as what she or he did the night before.
If alcohol harms the hippocampus, an individual might find it tough to learn and to hold on to information.

CEREBELLUM-- The cerebellum is essential for coordination, to form thoughts, and awareness. A person might have trouble with these skills when alcohol gets in the cerebellum. After consuming alcohol, an individual's hands might be so shaky that they cannot touch or grab things properly, and they might fail to keep their balance and fall.

HYPOTHALAMUS-- The hypothalamus is a small part of the brain that does an incredible number of the body's housekeeping chores. Alcohol upsets the work of the hypothalamus. After a person drinks alcohol, blood pressure, appetite, thirst, and the impulse to urinate increase while body temperature and heart rate decline.


Alcohol actually cools down the physical body. Consuming a lot of alcohol outdoors in cold weather can trigger an individual's body temperature to drop below normal.

An individual might have difficulty with these abilities when alcohol gets in the cerebellum. After consuming alcohol, an individual's hands might be so tremulous that they can't touch or grab things properly, and they may lose their balance and tumble.

After a person drinks alcohol, blood pressure, appetite, thirst, and the desire to urinate increase while physical body temperature levels and heart rate decline.

Alcohol in fact cools down the body. Drinking a lot of alcohol outdoors in cold weather can trigger a person's body temperature to drop below normal.
Sign up to rate and review this story