Categories > Books > Harry Potter > We're In This Together

Return to the Scene of the Crime

by zugrian

Harry has to see Narcissa one last time, to warn her of the coming darkness. Then it's back to Hogwarts and the constant danger that lurks there.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Drama,Erotica,Romance - Characters: Dobby,Harry,Luna,Narcissa,Pansy - Warnings: [!!!] [X] - Published: 2019-04-30 - 6557 words

?Blocked
Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter.

Author's Note: I see Lucius Malfoy as the planner/organizer of the Death Eaters, so without him there to run things at the World Cup, the attack was more chaotic. I imagine some of the Death Eaters might have been celebrating with alcohol and not been serious enough, hence one of the reasons why they didn't all escape like in canon.

On another note, Harry and Pansy are both wrong at times. From the last chapter, despite Pansy's suggestion otherwise, they really could use a worried adult like Sirius wanting to help them. Also, Harry is overly harsh with Lupin and yet Lupin still wishes him good luck for the coming year.

I don't think Remus is a bad man, but he is too self-absorbed, so wrapped up in his own problems that he neglects the people around him. When Harry is thrown into the Triwizard Tournament, he doesn't seem to care at all- he doesn't so much as send Harry a letter- while Sirius sneaks back into the country despite the death sentence looming over him and then lives off rats just for a chance to be able to support Harry. Lupin also treats Tonks awful in canon, running out on her when she gets pregnant, until Harry calls him out on it.

Regardless, he would be a potential ally, but Harry is unwilling to give him a chance, which could be a mistake in the long run.

Anyway, on with the show.

-oOoOoOo-

Harry stood looking at the large, imposing door. He had knocked twice already and was wondering how long she might keep him waiting.

She had responded to his message requesting a meeting though, so he wondered if this was just a bit of passive aggressive punishment.

He probably deserved it if it was.

It might not have been his best idea coming here. Pansy certainly had voiced her opinion against it. Loudly, and with a lot of swearing.

Harry could be stubborn though, and he hoped that getting past this mess would not take too much work.

Finally, the door swung open and he stepped inside Malfoy Manor.

It had been eight months since he had last been here, and the circumstances could hardly be more different. He just had to hope that the lone occupant would be willing to hear him out.

A female house-elf told him that her mistress was waiting for him in the lounge, the farthest room on the ground floor of the eastern wing.

It was a long walk too. She was making him work at coming to see her.

Harry could have laughed if the situation weren't quite so screwed up.

He felt like a condemned man walking to his doom.

But finally, he stepped into the doorway and saw her. She looked as immaculate as ever. Not even a single hair was out of place. Her red lips looked succulent. She was a vision of elegance and allure.

'Crap. Maybe it was a mistake coming here.'

Harry took a deep breath and knocked at the door frame. She had almost certainly seen him already, but she had not given him any notice yet. She was making him make the first move. It was the same complicated dance their earlier meetings had always been.

"Thank you for agreeing to see me, Narcissa."

"I considered refusing," she admitted. "However, I assume that you must have a good reason for disturbing me."

"I do." Harry walked across the room to a chair opposite her. "I'm sorry."

"You're sorry.

"Are you sure of that Harry? Didn't you hate my son? You didn't celebrate his death, even a little?"

Her blue eyes were a storm of emotions, and Harry could only guess at all of them.

"I didn't," Harry replied. "I never liked him, that's true, but I cared about you. And I am deeply sorry to have caused you pain."

"Part of me wants to hate you for my son's death, but I know it was as much my fault as yours. Although Lucius shoulders most of the blame for raising Draco to be so headstrong and foolish. For thinking that the rules didn't apply to him because he was a Malfoy. I should have done more to try to offset Lucius' stupidity.

"But more so, I should have known how irrational you made my son. He hated you, and the fact that he discovered that we had been together inflamed that hatred even further. It certainly drove him to try to get his father to kill you.

"I was so grateful when you cut that bastard's throat open. Seeing his blood spill out over the floor gave me a new lease on life." She paused and looked away.

"If only Draco would have understood that he had to let it go. I know I had warned him about owing you a life debt."

"I wish that he had listened to you. I never wanted to take your son from you."

"I believe you, Harry. It might be easier if I didn't, but I do," she said with a small sigh. "I suppose I owe you a second life debt for killing Lucius as well. Who knows what he may have done to me if he had succeeded in killing you."

"I told him that I would have killed him if he had laid a finger on you."

"What?"

"Just before I killed him, I told Lucius that I would have killed him slowly if he had hurt you. I meant it too."

That brought from Narcissa a mirthless chuckle.

"I suppose that was romantic of you, in a strange way."

Harry found it impossible to look away from her. He wished that he could have had sex with Pansy before coming here. His hormones did not care about anything but wanting to take this gorgeous woman into his arms again. To slide her dress up and have her legs wrapped around him. It was maddening trying to remain in control.

"So, what do we have now, Harry? A memory of a night filled with passion now buried under two deaths. One glorious and the other horrible. I don't know whether to kiss you or try to claw your eyes out when I look at you. Why did you come here?"

"I knew it would be hard to see me again, but I felt that I had to warn you."

"Warn me about what?"

"I'm sure you heard about the Death Eaters gathering at the World Cup."

"Yes. If he had been alive, I'm sure Lucius would have been the ringleader of that idiocy. Muggle-baiting- for what? To make themselves feel like big men? To soothe their egos that they were still powerful, that the sheep would still flee before them? I'm glad that someone stood up to them."

"I agree, but I think you are in danger."

"Why? Because some of my husband's former friends might try to take advantage of a lonely widow? I am not naive, Harry."

"It's not just that, Narcissa. Although, yes, I do worry that they might try to do you harm, especially if they believed Lucius' claim about us sleeping together. But there's something else you need to know."

Harry took a deep breath to steady himself. It was a risk to confide in her, but Harry could not leave her vulnerable. He would never forgive himself otherwise.

"Do you know anything about the death of professor Quirrell from a couple of years ago?"

"Not really. Why?"

"Quirrell had been possessed by the spirit of the Dark Lord. Although, I'm not sure if possessed is the right word, as he did seem a willing host to that parasitic wraith."

"How do you know this?"

"The headmaster had hidden the Flamels' legendary philosopher's stone in the school behind some traps. Unfortunately, at the end of that school year, Dumbledore was called away from the school. No doubt a ruse to merely get him out of the way. Quirrell had gotten past all but the last of the defenses when I found him."

"You faced him?"

"I tried to warn McGonagall, but she refused to listen. After all, how could mere first years know better than the wisdom of their elders?" Harry snorted. "The stupid bitch never apologized for doubting me, either, but that's another story.

"Anyway, it came down to just the two of us. Dumbledore's last defense made it so that Quirrell and Voldemort were unable to get to the stone, so they tried to force me to fetch it for them. We got in a physical struggle. Quirrell tried choking me to death, but his hands started to burn when he touched me. So I grabbed onto him and his body burnt away.

"Dumbledore later claimed that it was due to my mother's protection, that just as she had stopped Voldemort from killing me as an infant, he could not bear to touch me now. I don't know if that's true or not, but then, I also don't know what my mother might have done to make Riddle's killing curse fail all those years ago either.

"Regardless, the point is that the Dark Lord is still out there, still trying to regain a body."

A moment of stunned silence followed.

"That is not a comforting thought," Narcissa finally replied.

"No, and that's what worries me. If Riddle comes back, he'll be looking for his former followers, looking to use them to rebuild his power just like he previously did."

"But with Lucius dead-"

"Do you really think that would matter to him? He would demand that the Malfoy wealth and power would be his to use again. Why would he care that you weren't one of his branded minions? Riddle thinks that everyone should bow down before him. You would be obliged to serve him because he would never take no for an answer."

"So what do you want me to do, Harry? Flee for my life? This is my home."

"You don't understand. Can you honestly tell me that this place was never used as a meeting place for the Death Eaters? Hell, as large as this house is, it would be a perfect headquarters for them. And would it be any difficulty for Riddle to force his way in here? To put you under the Imperius to gain access to your wealth and then cast you aside? Or even worse, to keep you around for some other unspeakable fate?

"I know he is working on coming back. I don't want any harm to come to you. Please, Narcissa."

"Then what do you think I should do?"

"Sell this place and move."

"Where would I go?"

"You could go anywhere. You're still young, beautiful, and rich. The world is your oyster."

"Harry, it's not that easy. England has always been my home."

"But what do you really have keeping you here? Forgive me, but the only family you have is a disowned sister and an obnoxious cousin freshly out of prison, neither of whom you have spoken to in years. Am I right?"

"Actually, Andromeda and I have tried to mend things since last spring. As horrible as I had been to her all those years ago, she still came to Draco's funeral for my sake." There were unshed tears in her eyes, but Narcissa pushed on nonetheless. "Maybe you're right. I wouldn't mind seeing more of the world."

"I pray you do. It may not be next week, or next month, but in the next few years, I'm afraid that England is going to be much more dangerous. I just don't want you to get hurt."

"That's kind of you, Harry. But what are you going to do?"

"Try to prepare myself as much as possible. I would be in danger wherever I went. Riddle made me a target all those years ago, and it's clear that he won't stop until he finally kills me. So, I'll just have to work at everything I can think of to try to kill him instead."

"That will be an unfathomable task. He has decades of experience on you and an immense amount of knowledge of magic, not just the Dark Arts."

"I know. But I'm not planning on challenging him to a duel. If I could slit his throat in his sleep, that would be ideal."

That brought a wry laugh from Narcissa that Harry answered with a half-smile.

"Life isn't fair, so I have no plans to fight fair against a psychopath. I'll do whatever it takes to stay alive and win."

"I like the sound of that. And I wish you good luck."

"Thank you."

Narcissa stood from her seat and Harry did likewise.

"So, what now, Harry?"

"Hmm?"

She had a mischievous gleam in her eye.

"Shall I give you a kiss for good luck?" Narcissa asked as she stepped towards him, her movement slow and sultry.

"Or maybe a bit more than just a kiss?"

He could feel her breath hot against his skin, and it took every last drop of his willpower to pull himself back.

"I- I can't."

"Why not?" Both the raised eyebrow and the smirk on her face made her that much more appealing to him.

"I have a girlfriend."

"Oh? Since when?"

"Months now," Harry said, turning away from her gaze.

"And who is the lucky girl? Can she satisfy you the way I can?"

"Narcissa please..."

"Don't you want to Harry?"

He looked back at her and her sexy little grin drove him mad. Harry felt his pulse hammering as the blood flew through his veins, most of it heading south.

She was delectable. Temptation itself made flesh.

Glorious, beautiful, delicious flesh.

He closed his eyes and tried to calm his breathing. He was almost panting with desire. Why was she doing this to him?

And when he opened his eyes again her gaze was still fixed on him.

"Yes, dammit! I want to drag you upstairs and shag you all day and night long, until neither of us can move. My hormones are screaming at me to do just that. But I can't- I won't. Please don't make this any harder on me."

Narcissa chuckled at him and stepped back.

"She's a lucky girl, Harry."

Harry felt himself exhale as a bead of sweat ran down the back of his neck.

"You know, we could have just enjoyed ourselves today. We are all alone right now. I could be discreet; she would never had to have found out."

"I couldn't. I love her. I'm sorry."

"I am too, Harry."

Narcissa turned and walked away from him, and Harry felt both relieved and troubled at watching her go.

"If things don't work out with your little girlfriend, maybe you should write me. Of course, by then I might have companionship of my own. You could be out of luck," she teased.

"I'm sure I will be," he replied. "There's no way men won't be lining up to try to win your affection."

"You'll regret your decision today then," she smirked.

"I already do," he muttered.

She laughed at his honesty.

"It probably wouldn't have worked anyway. My loss of Draco would always be between us. But today could have been fun."

"I know."

"In another world though, we could have been brilliant together. We'll always have last New Year's I suppose."

Harry stepped over to her and kissed the back of her hand.

"I wish you all the best in life, Narcissa. But I should go before you convince me to stay."

"Yes, you should."

Harry turned and began to walk away. He had to force himself not to run. It felt like he was escaping from a predator, a succubus that he did not want to leave behind.

"Good luck, Harry. Take care of yourself."

-oOoOoOo-

Dobby took him back to the flat, and Pansy was waiting for him with a scowl on her face as she sat on the couch.

Before she could start in on him, Harry pulled her to her feet and smashed their lips together. She tried to get loose for only a moment, but he held her close until she reciprocated.

"Bedroom. Now."

Harry had a brief thought that she would be resisting or arguing, but instead he saw a look of triumph on her face.

She jumped up and he caught her as she wrapped her legs around him.

It was hard steering his way to the bedroom without looking. They bumped against the wall twice. But eventually they tumbled onto the bed together before tearing each other's clothes off.

Narcissa had left him aroused but rattled, and that brought Harry's more aggressive side out.

Pansy groaned in pleasure as Harry took his frustrations out on her body. She could feel his tension begin to melt as he slid inside her, then she clamped her legs around him, pulling him in even more. She had been angry and doubtful when he left that morning, but his return had shown that she had won without even having to be present.

It had been a worrying incident, a juncture that could have changed, or even ruined, everything between them.

But now, there was nothing but bliss. Harry was hers, and she was in the clear of that old uncertainty.

She felt his lips and fingers playing with her breasts and she could only purr in content.

She tried to smirk at the thought of Narcissa Malfoy being unable to succeed, at her failed enticement. But her vindication was overwhelmed by physical pleasure for the next several minutes.

When Harry was finally spent and her body was covered with sweat, she let out a cackle, mad with glee and contempt.

A moment later, Harry raised his head to glance at her with a droll little smile.

"I like your evil witch laugh."

-oOoOoOo-

They did everything they could to enjoy the last few days of their vacation. One last trip to the record store. One last night dancing at the club. One last dinner with the Brightwells. And one last visit with their new friends.

Pansy gave Vanessa an address she could use to write them (using Sam's law office as a middle man), before explaining that phone service was spotty at best at their rural school. Both ladies were hopeful they could visit again some time that fall. Harry would just have to help think up an excuse for how they could arrange a weekend trip at some point. He was already dreading Halloween weekend- nothing good ever happened in the magical world on that day as far as he was concerned, and avoiding it as much as possible the year before seemed to prove this even further when they missed Sirius' attempted break in.

Even though Black turned out to be innocent, had they been there, he and Pansy would have been forced to sleep separately in the Great Hall with all the other students. And that just would not have worked for them.

In the end, they packed up their clothes, supplies, and their burgeoning record collection for the return to Hogwarts. Dobby would be popping several things to their quarters while they rode the train.

-oOoOoOo-

"Harry!"

A blonde threw herself at him almost as soon as they made it to King's Crossing. Once she disentangled herself from the hug/tackle, Harry saw that Luna must have grown more than he had noticed the last time he had seen her. She was now as tall as Pansy, if not a smidge taller.

"Hey Luna," he answered with a smile. "Did you have a fun trip?"

"Oh yes, Nepal was lovely. A bit cold up in the mountains though," she replied before turning to his companion. "Hello Pansy. Did Harry take too long getting up today? I looked all through the train before I realized you must not have been as early as I was."

"It was hard to get him out of bed. As usual," Pansy said drolly.

"I would imagine so." Luna gave Pansy a huge grin, and Harry could only shake his head. She clearly wasn't going to be much help keeping the truth of their relationship hidden, although Harry had grown plenty tired of the deception as well.

Harry shrunk Luna's trunk down and put it in his pocket.

"Shall we find a compartment then, ladies?"

They each took an arm and went to board the train. Climbing aboard, they soon found one empty and claimed it for themselves. Harry removed all three trunks and stashed them out of the way as Luna began telling them of coming across Yeti tracks in the Himalayas and her father being disappointed that they could not find one to interview.

The fact that Yetis were known for attacking and eating anything they came across would never be enough to deter a Lovegood.

It was really good to see Luna again. She was one of the best things about going back to school.

And moments later, Harry was joined by another as Hermione slid open the door.

"Hello Hermione," he said as he grabbed her trunk and helped her put it away.

She greeted everyone and slid into the empty seat while Luna finished an anecdote about a cave her father had discovered with some promising examples of Yeti leavings that sadly turned out to be nothing more than yak droppings.

It was good that she got this story out of the way now, rather than when the food trolley came along.

Hermione started telling them of what all she had done over the month of August, which didn't involve anything as fancy as her family's trip to France of the year before. She also confessed that she did drop her electives down to only the three that Harry and Pansy were also taking. Luna was excited to be starting her new classes as well, and Harry offered to let her borrow any of his extra books on runes or go over any questions she might have had in the class.

Hermione looked a little put out that for once someone else was an expert on something, but she quickly got over it when Harry mentioned having picked up a new book on the subject over the summer, which she would just have to borrow.

A few minutes before the train was set to depart, the Weasley family finally made it onto the platform. It was hard to miss the pack of redheads, even in the midst of a large crowd. Mrs. Weasley was fussing over her four youngest and giving them all what looked like bone crushing hugs before the siblings could escape to the safety of the train.

The twins were as boisterous as ever, and Harry could hear them coming down the hallway before he saw them. They opened the door and peaked in when they came across Harry's group.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't dear Harry once again surrounded by lovely ladies," one of them said as they slid open the door.

"Of course. I like to travel in style," he replied with a grin. Pansy snorted, Hermione rolled her eyes, and Luna laughed far too enthusiastically. The twins were both staring at her when Ron tried to shove his way past them.

"Oi, will you two get out of the way?"

"Sorry, Ronnie, we were just dazzled by Harry's companions."

"Whatever," Ron muttered as he pushed his way into the compartment. "Hey Harry, have a good summer? You really missed out on the Quidditch World Cup."

"My summer was pretty great," Harry answered with a smile as Ron sat down across from him next to Hermione. "And I think it was a good thing that I wasn't there. You just know I would have been in the middle of all that Death Eater nonsense, and I really don't need to go looking for trouble when I can avoid it."

"Yeah, you're probably right, mate," Ron nodded. "In fact, it was my wand that somebody swiped to use to cast the Dark Mark."

"Really?" Pansy asked with a suspicious look.

"Yeah. I had it with me when we went to our seats to watch the match. I'm not sure when I lost it."

"We almost got stunned when whoever it was cast the spell," Ginny added before looking down with a blush. It was going to be like that again this year Harry realized with a sigh. He felt a little bad for her.

"In all the commotion once the attack hit, dad asked us to help get Ron and Ginny clear, but it was bedlam," Fred said.

"Fred and I could barely keep us all together with so many people dashing like mad to get away from the Death Eaters," George continued. "We were near some woods when the spell lit up the sky and suddenly all these ministry people popped in and started throwing stunners everywhere."

"Our quidditch skills came in handy. George and I tugged these two down just in the nick of time."

"It all happened so quick. There was this guy who immediately started accusing us of casting the spell," Ron added. "As if we were even old enough to remember seeing it before, let alone knowing how to cast it. He was a git."

"But then this ministry guy, Crouch, found his own house-elf in the woods holding Ron's wand."

"A house-elf had your wand?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, pretty weird right?"

"But house-elves don't use wands," Pansy stated.

"I don't know why she had it," Ron answered. "But Crouch got real serious and presented her with clothes. He was furious."

"What does presenting her with clothes mean?" Hermione asked.

"House-elves are basically a symbiotic servant class," Pansy replied. "When their master presents them with clothes, they are freed from that bond but they also lose access to the magic of the family they served."

"It's how I freed Dobby," Harry piped in. "I tricked Lucius Malfoy into giving him a sock."

"What happens to a house-elf that is freed?" Hermione was as inquisitive as ever.

"Depends on the elf," Pansy answered. "Some try to find another family or a business where they can work. Some, if they think they have disgraced themselves, waste away in sickness and sometimes even die."

"That's horrible! Wizards should treat these poor creatures better."

"Some people do. But there will always be those who treat others with scorn and contempt." Pansy could only shrug.

"Remind me to ask Dobby about this later," Harry whispered to her. Pansy agreed with a small nod.

"Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, we must be off," Fred said.

"Our adoring public requests our presence elsewhere," George added. "See you all later."

"Bye guys."

Just after they left, Harry realized he had forgotten to ask if they knew who was going to be the new Gryffindor quidditch captain. He supposed he would find out soon enough.

-oOoOoOo-

The next few hours flew by as the group of friends talked about their summers, although Harry and Pansy had to edit certain things for their audience for a wide variety of reasons. However, there was a lot to think about, as the Death Eater attack had awoken not only Harry's paranoia but also worried the others, especially Hermione. His best friend still felt the need to fret over him and just knew that trouble would be coming his way.

The fact that he had openly called out and been responsible for the deaths of two Death Eaters meant that Harry would be in danger of reprisals, which she noted. He replied that just being the boy who lived would have made him a target anyway.

It was all the norm for another year in the life of Harry Potter. At least his eyes were open to the dangers around him.

-oOoOoOo-

Thunder crashed as the rain began pouring even harder outside the train's windows.

"Poor first years," Harry said.

"Will they still have them take the boats across the lake in weather like this?" Hermione asked.

"Of course they will," Pansy replied. "It's tradition."

"But it's like a monsoon out there!"

"Hermione, I hate to have to remind you of your own wisdom, but don't trust wizards to have an ounce of logic. Remember our first year? We got in trouble for being out after curfew. What was our punishment?

"Being sent out into the forbidden forest in the dead of night, with Hagrid, who should have told the truth so that we wouldn't have gotten in trouble in the first place. Oh, and a bunch of first years were supposed to help track down whatever was murdering unicorns."

"Still, one would think McGonagall would want to make sure the students were taken care of," Hermione argued.

"Hermione, McGonagall was the one who gave us that detention back in first year. I know she's like your favorite teacher, but wake up. We lost one hundred fifty points in one night from her. When did she ever stand up for her students? I'll remind you that she was there when Draco called for 'the deaths of all mudbloods' right in front of her and he didn't lose a single point nor get a detention.

"Besides, a little pneumonia never hurt growing children did it? It's not like we didn't have to play a quidditch match in weather just like this last year. Oh right, we did. At least the first years won't have dementors trying to kill them before they even arrive at Hogwarts."

Pansy snorted at his flippancy, while the others looked trouble. Though Luna, of course, had a different point of view as she stared wide-eyed at Harry.

"The dementors did have some positive effects in the long run, though. People started taking you more seriously, and the children of Death Eaters owing you a life debt should, theoretically at least, make them less likely to try to attack you in the future. Furthermore, if the events of last year played out differently, we might never have met, and I prefer having you as my friend."

"My life would definitely not be as much fun without you in it Luna, so I'll have to agree with you."

Harry could only smile as she curled up against his side. Maybe she could be helpful actually. If people noticed Harry's fondness for the Ravenclaw girl, they might pay less attention to his behavior with Pansy.

-oOoOoOo-

The trip up to the castle wasn't pleasant for their group, as they were getting almost as soaked as the first years were. The only saving grace was the fact that the carriage ride was a few minutes shorter.

Peeves bombarding as many students as he could with water balloons didn't help either.

Harry gallantly placed himself in front of his friends and took a direct hit to the chest. Professor McGonagall showed up to chase the poltergeist off and Hermione began using drying charms on them all. Harry was grateful that Pansy knew it as well as it took them each two tries before he felt only mildly soggy instead of like he was swimming in his wet clothes.

Luna parted ways with them as she went to the Ravenclaw table while the rest found their seats. Harry looked up to the staff table. There were a few empty seats and one new face, an older portly fellow with a large bushy mustache.

"I wonder which of our new teachers that is." Hermione was observant and curious as ever. Parvati and Lavender said hello to everyone as they sat down beside Pansy, who was to Harry's right. He had not missed their flirtatious looks, and if he was honest with himself, they both looked surprisingly nice, even with their hair soaking wet.

"I believe that is professor Horace Slughorn, Potions Master," Harry revealed.

"How do you know that?" Neville asked, as he sat down across from Harry next to Ron. Seamus and Dean followed him in.

"I met Sirius about a couple of weeks ago and he told me about him. Slughorn was his teacher until he retired and Snape took his place."

"I still can't believe professor Snape is gone," Hermione said in a small voice.

"Me neither," Ron agreed. "Great work, Harry. No more greasy git. Potions might only be my third or fourth least favorite class this year."

"Ronald, don't speak ill of the dead!"

"Sorry, Hermione, but don't expect me to say anything that isn't criticizing that slimy bastard," Harry interrupted before the two of them could get their first argument of the new term started. "I lost my parents in part due to him. Not to mention his bullying and his horrendous lack of teaching ability. Good riddance.

"On another note though, according to Sirius, Slughorn was a pretty good teacher. He was also always interested in connecting with the famous and influential."

"In other words, you should stay on guard around him," Hermione stated knowingly.

"That's why Sirius warned me. I might not mind so much if he's a decent teacher, especially if no one in the class can get away with sabotaging each other's work."

"Was he also the head of Slytherin by any chance?" Hermione asked.

"He was actually. How did you guess?"

"I always thought it odd that someone as young as professor Snape was a head of house. The other heads all had a lot more seniority. When we started, I believe he was the third youngest member of the faculty."

"Right, that's interesting and all but where are the firsties? I'm starving."

Ron's complaint wasn't surprising, but Harry had to agree with him. It was a few more minutes before professor McGonagall led the wet young students into the Great Hall. The sorting hat sang a song and then went about its work.

Hermione quietly asked if Harry knew anything about who would be that year's Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, but he didn't have a clue. Even after Hagrid made it inside during the sorting, there was still an empty seat to the right of the headmaster.

One of the newest Gryffindors appeared to be Colin Creevey's little brother, and he could practically feel Pansy glaring at them. Harry found him annoying at times as well, but Colin's photos last year of the dementors and Harry's dragon Patronus at the quidditch match had been very helpful, bad press forcing the ministry's hand into acting like they weren't all complete morons.

As the sorting finally ended, the feast began and everyone began filling their plates. Harry unfortunately was sitting directly across from Ron, whose table manners were still atrocious.

He covertly patted Pansy's thigh, trying to soothe her anger. Harry knew very well how obnoxious she found his redheaded friend, and her having to watch him eat was something that Harry tried to avoid whenever possible. She gave him a brief look, and her scowl was prominent, but he watched her close her eyes to calm herself. Then she gave Harry a small nod and made small talk with Parvati and Lavender while averting her eyes from the other side of the table.

As all this happened, Harry noticed Seamus and Dean talking in low voices while giving surreptitious glances to the various girls all on Harry's side of the table. It seemed they were both paying a lot more attention to the ladies this fall. He wondered how long till Ron would be doing the same.

When the meal drew to a close, Dumbledore began making announcements. He welcomed professor Slughorn out of retirement and once again placed him in charge of Slytherin, and the majority of students applauded him loudly as clearly almost everyone was looking forward to someone who couldn't help but be better than Snape.

The old teacher seemed quite pleased by this, and Harry couldn't help but like his jovial expression.

'I might actually get a Potions lesson with no sneering for the first time ever,' he thought with a snort.

A synchronous cry of alarm from the Weasley twins brought Harry's attention back to the headmaster who announced that quidditch was being canceled for the year...

Due to what, he did not say because the doors of the Great Hall banged open followed by a deep rumble of thunder.

The figure in the doorway was illuminated by a flash of lightning as he lowered the hood of his black cloak. The man had long, dark grey hair, and as he made his way down the middle of the room, there was an odd clunking sound that was not being made by his long staff.

Another flash of lightning as he passed by Harry revealed what could loosely be called a face. Or what was left of one anyway. There were countless scars, a large chunk missing from his nose, and his mouth looked like a knife wound.

And then there were his mismatched eyes. One small, dark, and suspicious, the other huge, electric blue and moving in a thoroughly unnatural way, rotating around to take in every bit of the environment.

Every eye in Hogwarts watched as the grizzled man stalked up to the staff table. He went around one side, giving a small nod to Hagrid and then McGonagall before shaking hands with Dumbledore and sitting in the empty seat next to the headmaster.

He was introduced as professor Moody, the new Defense teacher.

"Now that's a man that knows how to make an entrance," Harry said quietly, although he could tell that everyone close by could hear him as only a few of the teachers were applauding, the students all shocked by the weathered man's frightening appearance. Moody sniffed suspiciously at a plate of sausages, pulled out a flask that he took a swig from, and began to eat while seeming to completely ignore his stunned audience.

A moment later, Harry was able to figure out what the odd clunking sound was caused by- a wooden prosthetic leg with a clawed foot. This was a man who had seen combat, and probably lots of it. Hopefully, Harry would be able to make use of his expertise. This might be just what he needed, a mentor to help prepare him for the enemies gathering on the horizon.

Professor Dumbledore then began talking about the Triwizard Tournament, a prestigious competition between the three largest European magical schools. Delegations of students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang would be arriving, and some sort of impartial judge would select a champion from each school to participate in three magical tasks.

There were several other salient details which Harry noted.

There would be a prize of a thousand galleons, which excited much of the school, including one of the Weasley twins who enthusiastically announced that he would go for it.

However, only those students of age would be allowed to enter. Both of the redheaded twins were outraged by this, as they would not come of age until next spring.

Also, the tournament had been halted more than a century ago due to the rising death toll, which alarmed Hermione who looked right at Harry.

Because the selection of the champions would be held on Halloween, of course.

'Fuck.'
Sign up to rate and review this story