Categories > Original > Erotica

Dawn Meetings

by Yekho

Their acquaintance lasted nine dawns. But the tenth dawn had passed smoothly into midnight, leaving behind a flavor of longing and melancholy.

Category: Erotica - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Drama,Erotica,Romance - Published: 2022-05-06 - 578 words

?Blocked
Having not slept that night, Mary humbly waited for the morning sun. Her shoulders shook from the chilly weather, but she had no intention of leaving the balcony. She liked to greet the arrival of the day in this setting: on the second floor of the house, among the cacti on one side and among the lilies on the other, in peace and quiet. The morning always had a kind of magic that beckoned Mary to it.

Greedily inhaling the scent of flowers and the smell after the rain, she covered her eyes. Her lips stretched in a sweet smile. Little dimples appeared on Mary's cheeks, visible only from a certain angle below. They added to her image of sass and youthful weirdness, despite the fact that Mary was in her fourth decade.

The little morning ritual was disrupted when Mary heard a thud. Footsteps sounded from above and, lifting her head, she spotted her newfound neighbor. A large shadow was heading toward a point that was directly above the woman's location. Without making herself known, she switched from viewing the morning cityscape to the young man's appearance.

Mary stared straight ahead, even a little rudely, at the young man's face with her celestial eyes. She noted to herself that his face was sharp and pale for some reason. But despite the gray skin, his features were the likeness of aristocracy, nobility, and a kind of secret admiration. His thin but expressive lips were tightly pressed, his eyes frowned and his nose wrinkled, but the lively light in a pair of blue eyes betrayed his bright and kind nature.

Soon a flash of light from a lighter illuminated his high cheekbones. The fire mingled with the hues of the morning purple sky. The young man lifted his cigarette to his mouth and, rolling his eyes with the pleasure of his first puff of the day, slumped his tense shoulders. Leaning against the railing of the balcony, he lazily shook off the ash... right on top of Mary's head.

With a flick of her mop of curls, Mary stepped aside just a few steps. But the young man's hand moved, too, and the ashes fell back onto the woman's hair.

- Excuse me, could you move over a little? - Mary smiled as she looked at the young man. Something made her heart beat furiously fast, as if she hadn't interacted with men before.

- I'm sorry, I didn't see you," the young man extinguished his cigarette in a moment, embarrassed. His movements had become jerky and illogical; he kept lowering his gaze to his companion, but then betrayed his feigned indifference to her and turned his gaze to the sky.

- The sun is rising," Mary said, curious about her neighbor, and decided not to miss the chance to have a conversation. - You're an early bird. Do you like dawns?

- Everybody does.

- Then why doesn't everyone greet them? - Mary watched with delight and childlike curiosity as the edges of the sky faded, like colors on a canvas combining into new shades.

- Because you can't love two things at the same time," the young man suggested, squinting into the sunlight.

- What are they?

- Sleep and dawn. A man chooses either the former or the latter.

Mary inhaled more air as if it were the last time she would ever breathe. And she smiled.

- So you and I share the same values.
Sign up to rate and review this story