Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Slayer, The Avatar And The Guardian Of Light

CH44 - Rites Of Passage (Part 1) - En Garde

by GuardianOfLight

Harry And Fleur have to prove what they have learnt

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Fleur, Harry, Other - Warnings: [!] [?] [V] - Published: 2007-02-28 - Updated: 2007-03-01 - 2802 words

?Blocked
Chapter 44 - Rites Of Passage (Part 1) - En Garde

Dimension: 563 - Earth
Date: 25th August 2001 AD
Country: France - The French Riviera - Marseeleveyre Mountains
Location: Chateau Delacour
Time: Morning


As another morning rolled around Harry and Fleur prepared for the day ahead, following what had become the usual routine.

Fleur rolled out of bed before gliding across the room dressed in one of her silver night dresses while Harry watched his mate in awe before finally climbing out of bed himself.

After the usual low fat high energy breakfast they make their way to the training room where they where to meet Adam for another lesson in defence.

As they enter the room they see not just Adam but all of their teachers; Jenny and John Wright, Polly and Viktor as well.

"Err....what's going on?" Harry asked nervously.

"Get ready class," chirped Polly "It's the day of your finals."

A flash of fear passed through the pair as they realised that they were going to be on trial, they had to prove they had picked up everything they had been taught.

"You will each be tested both together and individually in order to assess you skills and to prove to us that we haven't been wasting our time." Explained Viktor, though the harshness of his words were softened by the fact that he was grinning.

"First I will test Fleur's Physical Defence skills while Viktor and Adam try to gain entry to Harry's mind."

"Both at once!" exclaimed Fleur.

"Yep," Grinned Polly "Choose your weapons."

Fleur gave a quick kiss to Harry before running over to the wall that the weapons they trained with hung.

Picking a pair of the sharpened eastern knives with three prongs that Harry could never remember the name of (something like sai), she turned and took up a stance opposite Polly.

As Harry turned back to his opponents he felt like his mind had been hit with a sledge hammer as Adam dived straight into his mind, accessing it as easily as a needle penetrating skin.

He barely managed to raise his shield in time to prevent Viktor doing so as well, he could feel Viktor trying to force his way through his shields but Harry held strong, turning to the problem of Adam he was alarmed to discover that he could not find him; he knew he was in there with him but he had no idea where, he was laying in wait.

He could still feel Viktor pressing himself as hard as he could into his shields, continually changing the memories he was trying to access, trying to keep him distracted so that Adam could act.

Harry smiled internally as he put his plan into action.

He thought something like this might happen at some point and he had worked out a strategy to defeat any intruder to his mind.

As he felt Viktor launch another assault against his defences he weakened his Occlumency shield slightly giving the appearance that he was weakening, Adam could almost certainly tell that he was deliberately weakening his shields but he remained still somewhere in his thoughts.

Viktor had obviously sensed his weakness and increased the force against his shields.

Harry let his shields waver before allowing an opening to appear.

Viktor surged through the gap into his mind heading straight for his memories, following a path that Harry had 'accidentally' left undefended.

He put up a weak defence which Viktor quickly got around before heading straight for the memories that Harry wanted him to look at.

No sooner had Viktor entered the memories when Harry slammed his shields down behind him tapping Viktor in his thoughts.

He heard a yell of pain as Viktor experienced the memories before lowering his shields and catapulting the stunned Viktor out of his mind before turning back to search for Adam.

He scanned his memories looking for anything out of place.

Wondering through his thoughts he looked at each memory in turn, Adam was good, Adam was very good; he had the mental power to disguise himself as a memory instead of just hiding in one if he wanted.

He passed into the next memory; he found himself looking at himself, Ron and Hermione walking down one of the corridors.

He turned around and began to back out when something dawned on him.

Why could he see himself if it was his memory.

Turning back to the memory he was too slow in raising his shields to stop Adam launching himself at him.

The world went black and he felt himself hit the floor.

It was several minutes later when he regained consciousness to find Jenny kneeling beside him, her wand in hand as she performed some routine Check-up Health Spells, turning his head he could see John doing the same to a very shaken looking Viktor.

"Are you ok?" he asked rather shakily.

"Thing so," Harry nodded hauling himself to his feet "How are you feeling?"

"Very shaken," he replied "What were those memories?"

"They were all my very worst memories; the Dursley's, the confrontation with Quirrel, seeing Ginny in the Chamber of Secrets, facing the Basilisk, Hermione petrified, confronting the Dementor's, the Graveyard, the Ministry, Sirius and the Veil, all the pain I experienced from my scar and what it felt like to have Voldemort in my head."

"How on earth did you manage that?" asked Viktor.

"You can thank Snape for the idea," he explained "When he tried to teach me he always made me relive my worst memories and the pain and emotions associated with them; so I thought what would it be like to experience all that at once. When Adam showed me how to order my memories I gathered them all close together and positioned other neutral memories in a trail towards them, so when I weakened my shields you forced your way in and walked straight into the trap allowing me to slam my shields down behind you for several seconds before ejected you."

He turned to Adam who was busy watching the continuing duel between Polly and Fleur, Fleur was the larger and stronger of the two giving her a longer reach but that also made her a bigger target, Polly on the other hand was smaller and quicker but did not have the range that Fleur's longer arms gave her.

Both were sporting several cuts, gashes and bruises but were still going strong, Fleur's triple blades clashing against the pair of short swords Polly was wielding, neither willing to give up.

"Did I pass?" he asked turning back to Adam.

"Definitely." He nodded still watching the fight "You put up a good shield preventing entry to those not already in your mind and when you knew that you had to remove one of your opponents so you could deal with the other you very effectively lulled one of them into a trap before ejecting him from your mind and then you started searching for the other, your only fault was that your reaction time was too slow," he turned to Viktor. "Would you do the honours?"

Viktor nodded before drawing his wand and pointing it at Harry.

"As an authorised Occlumens Assessor of the Occlumens Council I hereby announce that you are a licensed Occlumens Master in the eyes of Wizarding Law." A small jet of white light flashed from Viktor's wand and impacted Harry's chest before vanishing "Congratulations Harry, now we just need to work on your Legilimency."

A thump was heard from the other side of the room drawing their attention.

Polly was laying on the other side of the room, both her hands were pinned behind her back, her swords lay on the floor beside her while a very wild and out of breath Fleur straddled her with both her knives at her neck in such a way that it would be impossible to move her head without slicing or impaling herself.

"I yield." Panted Polly.

"At last," Breathed Fleur, dropping her knives and rolling off her and onto her back breathing heavily "I thought....we would be fighting....until one of us died of old age."

"It was beginning to look that way." Agreed Polly.

Harry dropped down beside his mate and handed her a pepper-up potion that he had taken the precaution of taking wherever he went.

"Thank you." She nodded, downing the potion.

"Congratulations Fleur," smiled Adam as he, Viktor and the Wright's walked over "You just defeated a Navy SEAL."

"A what?" he asked.

"A SEAL."

"Ex-SEAL if you don't mind." corrected Polly.

"United States Navy Sea, Air and Land," Adam explained "Polly was a member of the American Navy Elite Special Operation Force."

"You were in the military?" asked Viktor.

"You'd never know it would you." She grinned from the floor having still not moved after the fight.

"Aren't you a bit...." tried Harry "A little on the....."

"Short side," she finished.

"Maybe you should have tried vertically challenged." Contributed Adam.

"Yep," grinned Polly, ignoring Adam's comment "I used glamour spells to make myself look taller, it worked wonderfully for seven years until an entire platoon saw a rocket pass straight through where they thought my head was, as we were in the middle of a battle it was easier for me to create an explosion and Apparate out rather than trying to cast multiple memory charms while under heavy fire....I received a posthumous Silver Star for it, I managed to talk the American Congress of Wizardry into helping me to get the Silver Star awarded non-posthumously as I was already in the pipe line to receive it before I was 'killed'."

"Right." Nodded Harry whilst he and Adam helping Fleur and Polly to their feet.

"Adam, can you test Harry I don't have the energy, Fleur took a lot out of me."

"Certainly," he nodded before turning to Harry "Choose your weapons."

Guessing from his phrasing that Adam was going to take two weapons Harry moved over to the wall and removed a pair of rapiers instead of the usual one, he had not tried wielding two but if Adam was going to be using two weapons then he really needed two to counter them.
A
Turning around he was surprised to see that Adam was only wielding one weapon (another rapier, though more decorative with a larger gold wire hand guard).

"First blood drawn from the torso. En garde!" he chanted bringing his sword up in salute before positioning it down to his side, not bothering with a defensive position.

Harry mirrored his movements but brought his sword up into a defensive stance.

"Oh and one more thing," Adam nodded "You can use magic in this duel as well as physical defence....If you can. Begin."

Harry launched himself at his opponent bringing his sword around to slash at Adam's stomach, he knew the hit would not connect but he had to find out how good a dueller Adam was, he knew Adam was better than Polly with this particular weapon as she had told them as such while teaching them what she knew about the use of the weapon, their swords clashed as Harry brought his second sword around at Adams head.

Adam ducked and pushing against his sword throwing Harry away from him before bringing his sword around to parry.
________________________________________________________________________

Fleur and the others looked on fascinated, watching the two duellist swinging their swords around in complex arks in order to strike at the other, Fleur was aware that Harry had never fought using two rapiers before and they had both been told how good a swordsman Adam was, even with only one sword Adam still had the upper hand, she really hoped that Harry passed this test, though she couldn't see how he could.
________________________________________________________________________

Harry was constantly on the defence, he couldn't hold Adam off long enough to strike, he was far to fast for him to keep up.

Receiving another blunt force impact as Adam put his weight into a blow sending him tumbling to the floor.

He quickly rolled onto his back brining one sword up to block but Adam hadn't approached, he was standing several feet away waiting for Harry to regain his feet.

Remembering Adam's instructions at the beginning of the duel Harry gently shook his arm allowing his wand to drop down into his hand, sliding the tip into a gap between the wire hand guard of his right sword ensured it was concealed from Adam's sight.

Rolling to his right he swung his right hand round in an ark bringing it down against Adam's own.

The swords clashed as Harry's right hand came up pinning Adam's sword between his, pointing his sword at Adam's hand he shot a disarmer sending the sword flying away from them to impale the floor.

Adam spun around and ran towards his sword but Harry wasn't going to loose now, taking of after him he caught up as his opponent tucked and rolled to retrieve his sword before spinning around, just in time to catch the swipe of Harry's sword in his lower stomach just cutting through the skin.
________________________________________________________________________

Fleur and the others held their breath at the site in front of them.

Harry had won, he had beaten Adam, she had no idea how but he had done it but he had.

They all watched as Adam stood and looked down at his torn shirt, he brought a hand to his stomach and it came away bloody.

"Well done," He congratulated, turning his gaze to a proud looking Harry "You beat me."

Harry smiled wildly before bringing his swords up to salute his opponent.

Adam mirrored his movements before turning and walking towards the door casually banishing his sword back towards its place on the wall.
________________________________________________________________________

Dimitri looked on curiously from his place by the door watching as the defeated Adam returned his weapon to the wall before walking towards him and the exit.

As he walked out of the room and down the corridor, Dimitri turned to follow.

"You let him win didn't you?" stated Dimitri once they were out of hearing range.

Adam came to a stop but did not turn.

"What makes you think that?"

"Even if you are not all powerful compared to us you are virtually omnipotent, I find it hard to believe that a sixteen year old who had only started receiving training with a sword this summer could defeat a being who is as old as the universe itself."

"If I used my full power Dimitri I could destroy this planet."

"You know very well that that is not what I meant," replied Dimitri hotly, annoyed that Adam was still not admitting it "You didn't use a single bit of magic during the duel, he had twice as many weapons as you, your skill was evidently greater seeing as you could hold off two swords with just one and you ran to get your sword rather than using magic as you did to summon and banish it, you deliberately lost the duel and I want to know why."

Adam sighed and turned around to face him.

"If there is one thing I have learned about Harry it is that he is a master at assigning guilt to himself, if I had defeated him he would have been feeling miserable for days, believing that he could not master the sword, he would also feel guilty for letting us all down and would likely not have the confidence to win such a battle if the situation occurred again, by losing to him he has gained confidence in his abilities, he now 'knows' he can defend against an opponent like me, he now 'knows' that he has not let everyone down and he now 'knows' that he will have the confidence to draw his sword in battle in the coming war."

Dimitri stared into Adam's intense eyes for several seconds, he could see he was telling the truth and the look on Harry's face when he had won confirmed what Adam had said.

"I understand." He nodded, turning back towards the room where he could here the sounds of duelling, probably Fleur and Harry duelling the Wright's.

"If he realises like you have I shall simply tell him the truth."

"You will tell him what you just told me?" asked Dimitri over his shoulder.

"Yes, but first I will explain that I was not pitying him, that I was not using magic because my magic is too powerful for friendly duelling and that I was fighting using the skill that a normal human could have, all of which is true."

Adam turned around and headed of back down the corridor before adding one last statement.

"I will not lie to Harry, for any reason.... Not ever."
Sign up to rate and review this story