Categories > Original > Romance > Jinxes for the Jinxed (Revised)

Jinxes for the Jinxed (Revised)

by failurebydesign 1 review

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-07-02 - Updated: 2008-07-03 - 670 words

0Unrated
It was the perfect sunrise, as Gabrielle stared out her window, smiling happily. Today was her tenth birthday, and she knew exactly what her dad was getting her for her birthday.
She smiled at the darkness that was being lifted from the meadow by her house, and remembered how many hints she dropped to her father, and repeatedly said how much she wanted those diamond studded earrings she has been staring at in the display window for months.
She rushed down the long hallway, and to the stairs, smiling widely down at her father who just came out of his office; same time every morning.
She rushed down the flight of stairs, jumped into her father’s arms, and placed a kiss upon each of his cheeks.
”Happy birthday, sunshine!” He smiled, pulling something from out under his shirt.
”Oh Dad, you shouldn’t have!” Gabrielle smiled, faking her surprise but in the end, she really was.
”The Princess Bride, a rather good story if I may say so myself.” Her dad said proudly, holding his head high.
”You bought me a book?” Gabrielle gasped, holding the book loosely in her hands.
”I thought you’d enjoy a good read, education looks good on a girl.” He spoke again, his voice going softer.
”Not as good as Diamond earrings would have!” Gabrielle hissed, walking up to her room, and throwing the book against the wall.

The sun no longer looked as bright to darling Gabrielle, and her upbeat mood seemed to dim the room.
She grabbed the book she had flung, and placed it upon her lap, frowning at it’s cover. She flipped open the first few pages and saw, in golden pen, something her father had written for her.
"All that glisters is not gold; Often have you heard that told. Many a man his life hath sold But my outside to behold. Gilded tombs do worms enfold. To my dearest, Gabrielle." Gabrielle repeated the Shakespeare quote to herself over and over, and this was her dad’s way of telling her that earrings won’t last forever, but knowledge would and that she would appreciate this in the future.

After the anger disappeared out of Gabrielle’s petite body, her smile grew back onto her face, and she jumped out of bed to go see her father, to thank him.
She rushed down the stairs, and toward his big oak door that hid view of his lonely office.
”Father? Are you in there?” Gabrielle whispered, knocking, and slowly opening the door.
She gasped as she saw his body sprawled out onto the carpet, his hand grasping his heart, and all Gabrielle could think of is how she treated him before this happened.

The same night, Gabrielle stood in the same spot, watching the blur of people pass by her and people questioning what had happened. She couldn’t have been sure though, she didn’t know what to make of this situation, and she didn’t know how to cry.

Before she knew it, a week later she found herself being moved into an orphanage, and the house was sold, a long with all the belongings, a long with the book. Gabrielle was pretty upset, going form riches to rags in a matter of minutes; not that she wouldn’t inherit the money when she became legal age.
The Orphanage was gloomy, and depressing; none of the kids looked happy to be their, and sooner than later, Gabrielle felt the same.

She was guided down the grey halls, a blinking light above, and crying children behind close doors, who would of thought she was in Auswitch; Holocaust for children.
Gabrielle grew nervous as the girl who was leading her down these depressing halls stopped her at a door. She pushed it gently, and it creaked open until it hit the wall, and Gabrielle had to adjust her eyes to see in the darkness, this was definitely not how she wanted to spend her ten year old life.
Sign up to rate and review this story