Categories > Original > Fantasy > Fire Bird

Chapter Two

by Evil_Clown_Muffin 0 reviews

The prophecies are never wrong. And for that, he had to leave, or die. At four, Phoenix traveled to Earth in order to keep his life. Fourteen years later, he will revisit his home, entering the war...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2008-07-05 - Updated: 2008-07-05 - 1951 words

0Unrated
Chapter Two

He stood above the sleeping youth, blond curls hidden beneath the black bandana. Sharp blue eyes scanned the lean body wearily. He was clad in simple pants, the material thin black and billowing at the thighs and tapering off to be tied around the ankles above snug dark blue sandals. His shirt was also black, the once long sleeves neatly ripped at the seams at the shoulders. The buttons were undone, leaving it to reveal his dark, finely muscled chest and abdomen. He could hear the men above the deck as the ship rocked on the calm ocean. He wondered how, in the middle of the sea, could this boy appear aboard. A stow away. He must be, attempting to make his way back home. The blond scowled, turning from the redhead resting upon the bed.
“Where is that blasted . . . ” his grumbling was interrupted as the door flew open, revealing another blond man, no older than twenty-five. And at his side was Deo.
The first man was dressed in thin blues. His pants were much like the others, but tied off at the knees. And his shirt, light blue in color, had sleeves to the elbow and the front was buttoned with the exception of the top three. Around his waist was a darker blue sash-like object tied in the front and falling to his knees in the back. He stood taller than the other two and his blond hair, much longer than theirs as well, was braided at the nape of his neck.
Deo, however, was still wearing the garb of Earth. His blue jeans hung off his hips and clung to his thighs. The green shirt he wore was bright, and looked as if black paint had been carelessly thrown at it.
“Prince, there you are!”
“Why yes I am, River! And so is my lovely cousin Deo!” The taller man spoke, smiling, while River shot a dark look at Deo. “And yes, my cousin has returned from Earth for good. I believe that this redhead here is just the person we were waiting for.”
“This is the fire prince?!” River looked at the teenager lying in the bed, disbelief written all over his face. “But, he looks so . . . weak.”
“Do not underestimate him, River. Nix is much stronger than he seems.” Deo warned, earning a glare from the cold blond as he exited the room.
.................................................................................
“When are we going to tell the twins?” Anthony spoke quietly into his wife's ear, still holding her close to his chest. “Certainly they're going to wonder where Phoenix is. And they should know if ever it's their time to leave.”
“I know. “Andrea said with slightly dull eyes staring at the oak dresser. She knew he was gone now, and uncertain if she could ever see her eldest son again, her worries about him wouldn't cease. “His stone is gone along with him. He's not coming back.”
“Hush, love, you don't know that. And the twins will be home soon. You need to be calm enough to explain this to them.”
“Calm enough to explain what?” Athan, now standing at the door with his twin beside him. Both looked at their mother with eyebrows raised in curiosity.
“Yeah, what's wrong, mom?” Anthos asked, moving to sit on the edge of the bed.
Andrea sighed and stood to walk across the room to her dresser. Cautiously, as if they would break, she picked the remaining jewels. Carrying them back, she held them out to each of her sons, motioning for them to take it. “These stones are your birth stones. You see, boys, we . . . aren't from this world. We are from a world called Ariband, and it's time I tell you everything that led us to be here.”
“Um, mom, are you okay?” Anthos asked carefully, eying his mother cautiously. “How could be we from another world, that's scientifically impossible!”
“Impossible for this world, yes, but not for Ariband.” Andrea spoke, a bit sharper than intended. Taking a careful breath, she spoke again. “Where do you think your brother is right now?”
“Out.” The twins said in unison, causing Andrea to raise her eyebrow at them.
“Boys, you know your brother. Phoenix is most definitely not just 'out'”
“Okay then, let's say that this is all true, why aren't we in this Ariband place right now?” Anthos inquired, staring intently at his mother.
“I would not let a prophecy be the reason for my first born son's death.” Her expression darkened as her voice went sour. “Our kingdom relies heavily on prophecies to decide the fate of its people. Your brother was the subject of one of these, and the punishment for his future crime was death.”
“Shit! That's just so wrong. Was Phoenix even old enough to remember this?!” Athan expressed, appalled.
“Yes.” Andrea said, looking at the place where the third jewel once was. “And now he's back there. It's time for him to take his place that was set for him as a child. As the eldest prince of the fire.”
....................................................................
“Mmmmmm.” A groan came from the small bed as Phoenix buried his head into the pillow. Slowly, he turned back over and opened his eyes before jumping out of the bed only to trip on the blanket and fall on his face. “Ow, what the hell is going on?!”
“Wow, Nixie, if I had known it was this funny watching you wake up I would have come to the show sooner!” Deo grinned, unable to stifle any laughter at his friend's expense.
“Asshole!” Phoenix shouted at his friend. “Now help me!”
Still laughing, Deo offered a hand to the redhead, and pulled him up. Once standing, Phoenix punched Deo's shoulder playfully. “Hey! What was that for?!”
“For being an ass! And not answering my question, what the hell is going on? Why are you here? Wherever here is.”
“Haha, Nix, like you don't already know where 'here' is. As far as why am I here, well . . . I, like you, was born here and sent to earth some time after that. Ten years after that to be exact. But what does it matter, we're here now and there's no way for us to get back.” Deo explained in a lethargic manner, smiling at his friend and sitting cross-legged on the floor.
“How did I know this was going to happen?” Phoenix asked rhetorically, joining Deo on the floor.
“Because you're psychic!” Deo said, loudly and perkily.
“Did someone give you sugar?!” Phoenix asked, mentally groaning.
“I'm just happy I don't have to be here without anyone I know. Besides my cousin, and River. But river doesn't count because River's a jerk and I don't like him!”
“Oh, so I see you're insulting me behind my back as well, Deo.”
“Whatever, I was just stating the facts.” Deo sends the other an icy glare. “Just as you do apparently. Huh, river? You're such a fucking hypocrite, you know that?”
“Me! How do you figure that one?!”
“I trusted you! And you just had to open your mouth!” Deo nearly yelled.
“I already said I was sorry! I don't know what else more I can do!” taking a deep breath, River mentally forced himself to calm down. Walking further into the room, he spoke, quietly now. “Deo, your cousin needs to see you. I'll take care of Phoenix.”
“But.” Phoenix began, only to have Deo hush him, and he walked out without another word.
“I'm sorry about that.” River muttered, looking anywhere but the other in the room.
“Why?” Phoenix asked.
“Because the first impression of me you got was from someone who hates me.” River replies, turning his head to look at Phoenix. “And why, may I ask, are you sitting on the floor?”
Phoenix's reaction to his question was not what he had thought it would be as the redhead fell on his back and began to laugh. “Dude, you don't know how used to his arguments I am! I mean, come on, he and Anthos are so much worse than you two were just now!”
“You are very strange.” River stated.
“Thank you! Now, mind telling me where we're headed?” Phoenix asked, standing from the floor.
“Fire kingdom.” The reply was short, laced with hate.
........................................................................
“Enki.” Shui's calm, strong voice easily reached the ears of the man standing by the edge of the ship.
“Yes, your majesty?” Misty blue eyes, wise with age, met the deep grey ones of the prince as the man turned, greying blond hair moving in the slight wind. His clothing, similar in style to the prince's, consisted of simple black pants and a navy blue shirt. A pendant resting over his chest, etched with the image of a nightly sea dragon, marked him as the captain of the ship.
“Your son needs to learn how to behave, captain. This is the second time his words have brought chagrin upon my family and I will not accept it.” Shui said, allowing spots of anger fleck across his eyes. “If you have no suggestions of punishment, I already have something in mind.”
“No, your majesty, I have not been able to think of proper punishment.” Enki shook his head slightly. “Whatever you wish, it shall be.”
“Good, then he is no longer under your training.” Enki's eyes flickered in surprise, but said nothing as the water prince continued. “Instead, he is being assigned as caretaker to the fire prince.”
“Whaaaaaat?” he had ben standing silently by his cousin, but now Deo spoke in confusion, looking at Shui as if he were insane. “Isn't that more of a privilege than a punishment?”
“Deo, think about who we're talking about.” Shui smiled at his cousin, unconsciously turning slightly in Deo's direction.
“He's right, Deo. My son hates the people of fire. So, obviously, forcing him to take care of their prince is going to b hell for him.”
“Yeah, but why do we have to punish Nix as well?” Deo asked cheekily.
“My dear cousin, was it not you who told me he can work with anyone? If this is true, then River will not be a problem for him.” Shui stated, allowing a small laugh at the younger boy's reaction.
“So? Maybe I wanted to be his care taker.” he pouted, crossing his arms.
“You have other duties to do, Deo.” the prince said before turning fully to face Enki. “Thank you for your time. Let's go, Deo.”
With that, the two young men turned and walked back under the deck, setting corse for Phoenix's room.
............................................................................
“So, why would Nix become a traitor?” Athan asked, staring curiously across the table at his mother.
He, Anthos, Andrea, and Anthony now sat at the kitchen table, having moved from the adults bedroom.
“There is a constant threat of war between the water and fire. The prophecies predicted a traitorous prince. It's just natural that they thought of your brother. However, I refused to let them kill my son for something that wouldn't occur for another fourteen years. But now, the prophecy will be fulfilled because of the counsel's rash actions.”
“But why is there always such a threat?” Anthos asked, leaning forward to rest his chin on his hand. His elbow already resting on the table.
“I will tell you tomorrow. For now, it is getting late.” Andrea stated, standing from her chair. “You two will be getting up early tomorrow and you're not going to school.”
The twins watched as their mother and step-father left the room, leaving utter silence in their wake. Anthos and Athan stared at each other, meeting the others eye and silently agreeing.
'Tomorrow is going to be a long day.'
Sign up to rate and review this story