Categories > Original > Fantasy > Fire Bird

Chapter One

by Evil_Clown_Muffin 0 reviews

The prophecies are never wrong. And for that, he had to leave, or die. At four, Pheonix traveled to Earth in order to keep his life. Fourteen years later, he will revisit his home, entering the war...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2008-06-07 - Updated: 2008-06-07 - 1841 words

0Unrated
Chapter One


“Mr. Eld, this is the last time I will do this, wake up!” The teacher all but yelled down at his student, startling the redhead awake.

A head full of fire red hair shot up instantly from the desk, the boy's mind taking a few seconds to register his surroundings. School, first period U.S. history. The teacher, Mr. Bryant, stood just a few feet in front of him. Staring down with cold, blue eyes. His arms were crossed and his stern face held a look of dislike. Mr. Bryant had never liked Phoenix.

“Sorry?” Phoenix offered pathetically, looking up with his brown eyes.

“Sleeping is for home, so save it. That was the third consecutive day, Mr. Eld. I'm getting tired of hearing your mumbling about whatever is in your dream.” If looks could kill, Phoenix would be dead one hundred times over. “But I do find it interesting that you mumble about 'daddy.”

Phoenix glared at his teacher. Warm brown eyes icing over. The subject of his father was always a touchy one, and Mr. Bryant knew it, although the reasons were, obviously, unknown to him. “'Daddy' is what I called him, yes. But he is not my father. That job belongs to Anthony.”

The teacher smirked, and continued droning the lecture in a monotone. The class dragged, and Phoenix struggled to stay awake. Three days in a row! Damn it! Why can't I stop thinking of that stupid prophecy lately? He thought, ignoring Mr. Bryant's lecture, staring at the white walls. He hadn't thought of it much since he was a small child. And now, the night he left plagued his unconscious mind every night. The few happy memories he had of his homeland were stretched into vague twists of colors.

There was also the guilt. Guilt for his mother and two younger brothers. It was his fault they had come to Earth. But at least they were happy. The twins knew nothing of their true home, and hopefully never would. But he worried. The memories that plagued his own dreams, seemed reverberated through the twins. Athan had told him of dreams of a strange land. Of dreams with people controlling the elements. Phoenix knew this place was not just in dreams, but it was their place of birth. And he knew how his mother missed it.


The first three classes were now through and Phoenix sat in the cafeteria, awaiting his brothers and friends. He never understood why most teenagers are always so distant with their siblings, but maybe that was because he and his brothers were all best friends. Phoenix looked toward the door, seeing Athan walking toward him alone, his usual playful smile on his face.

“Mr. Bryant is an ass!” Phoenix said as soon as his brother sat beside him.

“Hello to you too!” he grinned sleepily. “You caught sleeping again too?”

“Yeh. Might that have something to do with the fact that we're failing most of our classes?” he laughed out of spite.

“Correction, you're almost failing all your classes. But I've got Anthos in my classes. All I have to do is pull the nice act and he lets me copy his work.” He smirked at his brother.

Phoenix smiled. Yeah, that sounded like the twins all right. They had always been exact opposites. Anthos was always the hard worker and made up well for his twin Athan, the slacker. It was entertaining at times for their older brother. Their fights. He enjoyed the differences in the way they argued. While one was practical, the other fought with opinions. Athan didn't have much to back his opinions up with, so it usually ended with Anthos as the winner. But like any family that balances out like this, they tended to both be somewhat hotheaded. Their fights were usually serious though. When fists began to fly, there was nothing their older brother or mother could do to get them to calm down until they drew blood. And this would be when Phoenix left. That was always his downfall, his squeamishness. Epically dealing with blood.

“PHOENIX!” Before the redhead could look up, a slim figure had thrown itself at him. “Happy birthday Nixie!” laughing, the boy stood. Deo is slender, his pale skin stretching tightly over defined muscles. Strawberry blond hair fell in thick waves around his face, ending at his shoulders. His blue eyes scanned over the other students, finding his desired subject with little effort.

Anthos was easy to spot. Like his brothers, his flaming red hair stuck out from the duller colors of their peers. Also, his style was not of the conformity. On most days, he was clad in brightly colors layers with make-up decorating his face in ways that made most of the girls jealous. He was short compared to his friends and often teased about his girly figure, although he didn’t care.

“Hey guys!” he greeted as he reached the table, sitting next to Deo, who was across from Phoenix and Athan.

“Hey, babe!” Deo said, quickly placing a kiss on his cheek. “So, what are you doing for your birthday?” He asked, turning to face Phoenix as he bit into his tuna sandwich.

“Nothing.” phoenix replied, glancing suspiciously at his younger friend. “No parties, Deo.”

“Oh, come on, Nix! You are so not fun!”Athan cried to his brother, receiving only a shrug as the latter continued to eat.


Andrea Eld’s lithe body was still as she stood. Three jewels sat on the vanity in front of her, red in color, and, on two, different designs carved upon their otherwise smooth surfaces. All three glowing in her orange eyes. Anxiously, she picked up the center one, the pattern of an ocean wave engraved upon it. The jewels had never glowed like this before, such a vibrant red. She knew that this time would come, no matter how much she wished it wouldn’t.

“Anthony.” She spoke quietly, her soft voice reaching the ears on a middle-aged man. He sat on the bed, watching his wife with blue eyes, just as anxious as hers. “It’s time for the prophecy to be fulfilled. We’re going to lose the boys.”


~


“Yo, Nix!” Deo said, snapping his fingers in Phoenix’s face to get his attention. “Did you hear anything I just said?”

Phoenix looked at his friend, confusion etched in his face. They had stopped in front of the local bookstore, of which he just realized. He hadn’t noticed the others talking as he was lost in his thoughts. There was something about to happen, and just the waiting was bringing the teen to insanity. Unknowing of when he figured it out, he knew it had something to do with his nearly forgotten memories appearing in his dreams. Something to do with scenes of his home reflecting in his brothers' dreams as well as their actions. It scared Phoenix, this recent uncertainty of not knowing what was going to happen.

“Dude, you're acting really strange. What's up?” Deo asked, his eyebrows knitting together, concern for his friend written all over his expression. “You know you can tell me, right?”

“It's noting. You would think me insane if I told you”

“Nix, you are insane! But that's why I love you!” he grinned cheekily, hoping to lighten
the tense mood. These words of endearment were nothing new to Phoenix or any other friend of Deo's.

“Deo, this is beyond your normal insane okay? And if I can't even tell my brothers, I'm not telling you. Sorry.”

“Okay, just don't be surprised later. See ya!” He said before practically running into the store, leaving Phoenix, once again, confused.

The other boy had that effect on him. To get him worked up, and leave him even more confused than he was before. Sometimes, the redheaded senior thought his friend knew much more than he let on. But in the end, Phoenix shrugged off his comments, and continued walking, allowing his feet to carry him along an unfamiliar path. His shadow was short, moving slowly on the cracked sidewalks. Again, he sighed, and looked up to the sky. The wind blew gently through his long hair, making the layers fly away from his face. The wind itself, blew prominently to his right, bringing Phoenix to look at a small wooden building. The planks were nearly gray with age and, above the small door, was a sign reading “Of Two Worlds?”.

'Interesting' Phoenix thought, walking toward the building slowly, curiosity and a strange gravity to the place taking over all other senses. The door opened with a small whine and a small chiming noise coming from somewhere in the back. The space was crowded with strange objects upon the dusty shelves. It was dimly lit with the light flitting through dirty windows, looking like it had been deserted long ago.

Curiously, Phoenix took slow steps in, his eyes searching for a sign. For anything in such a dead feeling place. Quietly, he progressed in his slow pace as if he were afraid to make much noise. He stopped short. His eyes widened in surprise as they landed on the object. On a shelf was sitting a golden goblet. Upon it, a Phoenix rising from its ashes had been illustrated in once vibrant reds, oranges, and yellows. But its colors had faded with time. This couldn't be. The teen stood still, his broken memories of his first four years piecing themselves back together perfectly. This goblet was not something crafted by this world. For the gold itself was nothing that the Earth could produce.

“I see your attention has been caught by the kings' goblet.” The voice, dry and rusted, came from behind Phoenix. Turning, he saw the source. An aged woman. Her hair, grey and to her waist, mystic blue eyes shining through a wrinkled face that still shows its former beauty. “You are like that goblet. Am I right? Neither of you is from this world.”

“H . . . how?”

“I can sense it, prince, for I, as well am not of this world. But now is not the time
for talk, for our world is in danger, go, prince, and you shall see. War between lovers will kill us all.”

“Who are you?” in barely a whisper, Phoenix spoke as the woman walked away. Instinctively, he followed her farther in. From all the clutter, an open area appeared. Circular in shape and about five feet in diameter, the only thing in the space was a full length mirror. Its frame elegantly carved with intricate, yet simple, designs of sea dragons and sea beings around the smooth, reflecting glass. He stopped in front of it, eyes widening in surprise. For what he saw was not a reflection of himself. Instead, a ship, its sails pulling it forward upon the rippling blue seas.

“It is time for you now, prince, to claim your destiny.” The old woman said before a blinding light enveloped the room, and Phoenix's world became black.
Sign up to rate and review this story