Categories > Original > Horror > Flames of Fury: Rekindled

Chapter 5

by shortone1286689 0 reviews

Milo meets Jason and one thing leads to another....

Category: Horror - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Horror - Published: 2006-02-25 - Updated: 2006-02-25 - 2287 words

0Unrated
Chapter 6

Milo sat in 3rd period the next day. He stared out the window at the track and smirked as he watched the team doing their warm-ups for the track meet after school. He wasn't aware that he was being called on until the student next to him nudged him with their elbow.
"Huh? What was the question again?" He looked up at the board hoping to find some clue about the lesson. The teacher glared at him over wide framed spectacles.
"Milo Anderson, report to the office immediately." Milo grimaced at the direction. Sullenly, he gathered his books and stepped out of the classroom. As the door closed behind him, he let out a sigh. He turned and walked quickly to the office.
As he reached the office, he knew that this was not discipline-related. He glanced at the office aids and was met with expressions of pity. He turned his gaze before him and walked up to the open door before him. He knocked lightly on the door framed and walked in before given permission.
"Ah Milo..." The principal grinned broadly as Milo seated himself. Milo glared at the older man with disgust. He turned his gaze to the other man in the room and assessed him quickly. A younger man, early twenties perhaps, with light brown hair and green eyes. Milo smirked at him and then turned back to the principal.
"So, what'd I do?" He leaned back in his chair and laid his feet on the principal's desk. He heard the principal's short intake of breath at the action and smirked. He had been in this office for more than just punishment in his years at the school and he knew just which buttons to push with the older man.
"This is Mr. Kyle Martians. He's come here to help you find a foster home. I know this is a hard time in your life and you may be feeling vulnerable. Mr. Martians is here to help you." His right eye twitched as he delivered the speech. Milo smirked at the older man and turned to Kyle.
"Kyle huh? So you're here to help me? Good. First off, help me get the hell outta this school. Cueball here's got a boner and it's startin' to make me nervous." He winked at Kyle, who blushed and inched away from the principal.
"Um, yes. I spoke to you last evening about the arrangements and my boss has assigned your case to me. I've come to help you gather your property and then find you an alternate living place until you turn 18." He rose and offered his hand to Milo, who smirked and took his hand. Milo stood and picked up his bag.
"So, is that it? Okay, let's get goin'." He gestured for Kyle to precede him from the room. Kyle turned and bowed slightly to the principal and walked out of the room. Milo turned and smirked at the old balding man. He winked and walked out of the room swaying his hips suggestively.
He met Kyle in the hallway outside of the office. He smirked at the man and headed toward the front door. Kyle raised an eyebrow at the younger man's brash behavior and then followed him silently.
They walked out into the parking lot and Kyle gestured to lime green Lamborghini parked by the entrance. Milo's eyes widened in surprise and admiration for the vehicle. Kyle pressed the remote's button and the doors of the car opened upward. Milo smirked and climbed into the car. Kyle walked over and slid into the driver's seat. The engine roared to life and they were off.
As they drove down the main street Kyle tried to stir a conversation up with the boy. He cleared his throat before he spoke.
"Um, so... you're a junior there?" He gestured to the school behind them, but it was a useless action for Milo was looking out the window. He nodded slightly in answer to the question and turned to face the man. He stared at the man's profile until Kyle started to squirm uncomfortably.
Milo smirked as he asked, "So, where are you gonna to 'place' me?" He used the word mockingly. Kyle turned to him slightly and shrugged.
"With a case as unique as yours, Mr. Ander-"
"Milo." He cut in before the man could completely label him with his father's title. A moment of silence followed the interruption.
Kyle cleared his throat and continued, "With a case as unique as yours, Milo, we can't tell where you'll be placed until we have all the facts attached to the file. With the recent passing of both your parents and no traceable living relatives, yours is a tough placement choice." Milo nodded slowly and smirked.
"There aren't any living relatives. They all died a long time ago..." A small smile played at his lips.
Before Kyle could question Milo's cryptic remark, the boy was out of the car and rushing up the front walk. Kyle followed and waited for Milo to open the door. Milo looked around the deserted area and then reached up to the top of the door jam and tugged lightly on a concealed string. A key fell from the rafters and landed in his out-stretched hand. He smirked at Kyle's surprised expression and opened the door.
Kyle walked into the house and took instant note of his surroundings. It was spotless. Meticulously spotless. Kyle shivered slightly as a feeling of being unclean overcame him. Milo noted the man's reaction and smirked.
"Please, make yourself comfortable. I'll go pack a bag." He turned and went up stairs.
Kyle turned in a circle, taking in the strange surroundings. He walked over to the mantle and ran a finger across it. He examined his finger: not a speck of dust. He checked the window frame and the high lamp and found similar results. He walked into the kitchen and checked the cabinets. He found a bottle of Jack Daniels bourbon and a bottle of sleeping pills. He closed the cabinet quickly as he remembered how the boy's mother had died.
He checked the refrigerator and found it nearly empty. How was the boy surviving? He shook his head and closed the door. He turned and jumped at the sight of Milo standing leaned against the doorframe of the kitchen. Milo smirked and walked into the kitchen. He opened the cabinet with the Jack Daniels in it and offered Kyle a glass.
"You're a minor Milo. Give me that bottle." Kyle put his hand out and tried his best to look authoritative.
Milo smirked and replied, "Yes officer." He handed the bottle over and walked back to the door. He hoisted his bag over his shoulder and glanced back at Kyle. "So, where am I headed?"
Kyle stared at him for a moment before he answered, "I need to call back to the main office to find out. Would you mind waiting in the living room, please?"
Milo raised an eyebrow at the request but relented. "The phone's there by the sliding door." He turned and walked out into the living room. As the door was closing behind him, Kyle walked over to the phone.
"Hello? Hey, Jim, it's Kyle. I'm here at the Anderson house right now. Have you found a place for him?" A brief pause. "I know that he'll still be called in for questioning about the deaths. So, have you found a temporary home for him yet?" Another brief pause. Kyle sighed. "I understand. Yes sir, I know that the case is unique. Perhaps he could stay with one of our agents?" A brief pause followed by Kyle's incredulous response. "What do you mean have him stay with me? Are you nuts?" A long pause and another sigh from Kyle. "Fine, but just until we can find another placement for him. I'll report in tomorrow with the file and the boy. Talk to you later." He hung up the phone and shook his head in disbelief.
He turned, walked out of the kitchen and nearly collided with Milo. He stepped back from the boy, who smiled softly and looked down at the older man. Kyle hadn't realized how tall the boy was until he was right in front of him. He swallowed before he managed a slight smile.
"Well, it seems we've found a placement for you. You'll be staying with me until they're ready for you though. So, you have everything you need in that bag there?" He gestured to the pack slung over Milo's shoulder. Milo nodded and smirked. Kyle swallowed again and motioned for Milo to precede him to the door. They walked out to the car and were climbing in when Milo suddenly jumped out of the car and sprinted back into the house. He came out a few moments later holding a small leather-bound volume and climbed into the car.
"What'd you forget?" Kyle eyed the book momentarily before he started the engine.
"My journal," Milo replied and then stored the book in his bag. Kyle shrugged and backed out of the driveway.
They reached Kyle's apartment complex in a short time. Milo looked up at the slightly run-down building and looked back to Kyle suspiciously. Kyle climbed out of the car and headed for the first set of stairs. Milo followed him quickly and nearly ran into the older man when he stopped abruptly before a door.
Kyle opened the door and motioned for Milo to enter. Milo walked into the apartment and glanced around. He was standing in a living room, which contained a well-worn couch, and a television so old it still needed rabbit ears to get reception. Further on he could see a small kitchen and the glass door, which led to a balcony. To his right was a hallway, which he assumed, led to a bathroom and Kyle's bedroom.
He turned to face Kyle and nodded his approval. Kyle quirked an eyebrow and removed his coat. He turned and opened a closet, which Milo had missed, and hung his jacket up.
"Hope you don't mind sleeping on the couch. You can use this closet for your clothes. I know it's not much, but it's all I've got."
"Oh, it's fine." Milo scanned the room once more and settled his gaze on the kitchen. "Got anything to eat?"
Kyle nodded and said, "Yeah, just put your bag in that closet and I'll see what I can stir up." He headed off to the kitchen as Milo stored his bag. Milo followed him and settled on the stool Kyle offered to him.
"Whatcha hungry for?" Kyle opened the refrigerator to show its contents. Milo snorted at the measly half dozen of eggs and gallon of milk. Kyle glanced in and blushed.
"It's been a while since I've gone shopping. Been busy with work. How 'bout pizza?" He closed the fridge and picked up the phone. He dialed the number with the impression of repetition. "Yeah, Jake? Kyle here. Yeah, the usual but large and an extra drink. None of your business. How much? M'kay, see ya soon. Bye." He pushed the button and turned to Milo. "Hope you like pepperoni."
"I'm allergic," Milo replied, deadpan. Kyle blushed again.
"I can call them back and change the order...?" Milo smirked at the older man's meekness.
"I'm kidding. Pepperoni's fine with me." A long silence followed. Milo couldn't stand it and finally broke the quiet. "How old are you?"
Kyle jumped at his voice. "Huh? What?" Milo repeated the question. "Twenty-two. You?"
Milo smirked and replied, "Depends who you ask. On my birth certificate I'm sixteen." Kyle grunted acknowledgement of the response. Another silence followed. The doorbell soon rang and they both jumped at the sound. Kyle went to answer and Milo followed.
Kyle opened the door and paid the man. The man looked Milo over from head to foot and licked his lips. Milo shuddered and walked quickly back to the kitchen. Once Milo had left Kyle spoke to the man.
"Leave him be Jake, he's minor."
"Like that's ever stopped me before?" The man guffawed. His long greasy hair fell back and his crooked and capped teeth caught the light. Kyle grunted and turned to go back inside.
"Why's he with you? What happened to that girl you were with?" The question stopped Kyle and he turned back to Jake.
"What are you talking about?"
"You know..." Jake made a gesture with his hips and Kyle, revolted, turned, walked through the door and slammed it behind himself.
Milo turned and raised an eyebrow in question. Kyle shook his head and sighed in answer. Milo shrugged.
They ate their meal in relative silence. Milo looked around the small kitchen more for having a place to look than from curiosity. Kyle stared at his plate, contemplating the situation. He thought back to what Jake had said, about his girlfriend being gone. She hadn't really been what he had been looking for. A simpering child, that's all she was. He wanted someone who could look out for themselves when he couldn't be there. He glanced up at Milo and shook his head.
Milo let his gaze settle on the unfinished half of the pizza before he sank into his own thoughts. Here he was sharing pizza with a social worker. A social worker that was involved in his parents' investigation. He smirked at the irony of the situation. He knew he wouldn't be able to stay like this for long but he wasn't sure what he should do next.
'I guess I'll just ride this wave to the shore.' He smiled and took another bite of pizza.
Sign up to rate and review this story