Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Safe Way

A Free Spirit

by Carebear_Assassin 2 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Published: 2008-07-22 - Updated: 2008-07-23 - 834 words

0Unrated
I woke up alone in my bed to Jacob yelling that I had farm work to do. Obviously part of my punishment for the other night. I got up and quickly got dressed. I stayed working on that farm eight hours strait. Then Jacob let me stop.

“Dad, I’m sorry that I’ve been such a pain since I moved here.”

“You’re a teenager, I kind of expected it. Plus I remember your mothers approach to mother hood. She didn’t really believe in rules.” he was right, the only rule she had ever really tried to enforce was the curfew, and well as you can probably guess that didn’t really work.

“Dad…” I started I wasn’t sure if I would actually get an answer from him.

“Yeah Lana?”

“Why did you two get a divorce?” he looked over like he was surprised by my question.

“Well, it really just boiled down to the fact that your mother wasn’t really ready to settle down. When we got married, it was…” he stopped, thinking that maybe this wasn’t something he should tell me.

“You can tell me, I mean its in the past.”

“We got married because she was pregnant with you,” he said. I wasn’t sure how I should feel about that, but decided that right now I wouldn’t feel anything. I kept my face the same.

“Dad that’s a stupid reason to get married,” I said.

“Well, baby girl back then it was what people did,” he said as though that should explain it. “Your mother though was a free spirit, like you. I was a lot more disciplined than she was. A lot more responsible. Her parents were going to make her…”

“Get an abortion, or give me up?” I said finishing for him.

“Yes, neither of us wanted that. So we got married. I knew for a long time that your mother wasn’t happy, so I tried harder. I thought once you were born she would get more used to the idea of being with me and she did for a long time, but then something changed. I wish I could tell you what, but I don’t even know.” he seemed sad.

“Daddy did you love her?” I asked.

“I have always loved her, she just wasn’t meant to be in one place for too long,” he said as we pulled into the driveway. “She took magic with her where ever she went and once that magic filled that place she had to move on.” I’m not sure I believed that last bit, I mean my mother was a waitress/stripper who lets face it couldn’t take care of herself. What made her think she could raise me? “I know you may find it hard to believe,” he said reading my thoughts. “But there was something special about your mother, I see that same something in you. Hopefully you will know learn to let your magic come in small doses so you don’t have to leave those who love you,” He looked like I would fly away any second.

Yes I did get restless staying in one place for a long time, but that’s why my mom and I used to move around a lot. Only we would stay in the same school district. Although that could also be due to our inability to pay the rent, but we both love moving into new apartments. That also got me to thinking.

“Dad, how did she get me into school? I mean you said you had been looking for me so…” we were standing at our front door and he was looking for the house key on his key ring.

“Come in and sit down and I’ll tell you about that,” he said. So we both sat down and he made tea. “Alana isn’t your real name,” he said once he got settled.

“You gotta be kidding me, I was taken at eight years old. You can’t all of a sudden change an eight year olds name.”

“I don’t know how she did it, but she did.” he said looking down at his hands.

“So what was my real name?” I asked.

“Nonnie Lynn Woods,” he said finally. It sounded familiar, but it still didn’t mean much to me.

“I think I’ll stick with Alana, if you don’t mind.” he smiled.

“I don’t mind, I like Alana better anyways. Nonnie was a name your grandfather chose,”

“So do I have any other family?” he got this sad face.

“Both your mother and I were only children, and all four of your grandparents are gone. I have a great aunt who lives in Arizona. A few cousins that are scattered across the country, but that’s about it.”

“So you’re all I got?” I said with a smile.

“Yup,”

“I can live with that,” I said hugging him.
Sign up to rate and review this story