Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Deadlines

Best things come in the smallest packages

by neve 8 reviews

Kicking off at the Virgin Megastore, emotional phonecalls and lots of coffee.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2008-08-14 - Updated: 2008-08-14 - 3347 words - Complete

5Funny
Chapter Twelve: Best things come in the smallest packages


Jill had never seen anything quite like it as the fans scrambled through the doors to get to the barriers. It was completely mental as a group of girls shrieked at each other as they made the front. The atmosphere was electric as they all sang along to the black parade. Jill noticed that the crowd was a good mix of different ages, gender and a few guys from other bands had come down to watch including Dirk Tourette from Towers of London who she loathed with a passion. She would have called him a has-been but then you had to have got somewhere at some point to which he never had. Jill remembered that she hadn't been in London that long when Justin had been asked to review a Towers of London gig. Justin famed for his tongue in cheek critique had virtually called them shit in practically every sentence. The magazine readership loved it but Dirk and his wanabees didn't and it earned Justin a bit of a kicking when they unfortunately met up at a festival. Justin had laughed it off in his usual way but Jill had been livid when he told her. Now here was the said idiot spouting off his pearls of wisdom about the so-called shit american band. Jill was so tempted to confront him on it but she held back. The bands own security had come out and she noticed they had already singled him out for special attention. Jill didn't fancy Dirk's chances if he started something.

"Hey Jill,"

Jill turned round to see her colleague waving frantically at her from the press pen at the back. "Hi Jen,"

Jill thought for a moment before gently taping Jenna on the shoulder, "I'm really sorry to ask you and I hope its not too much of an inconvenience but would it be okay if my colleague came over here." Jill asked slightly embarassed for taking advantage.

"Is it the girl over there with the blonde hair waving like a mad person?" Jenna asked laughing.

"That's her, I promise she's quite sane though." Jill tried to reassure her.

"No problem, I'll just go and get her." Jenna replied as she pushed herself through the edge of the barriers.

Jill watched as Jenny's expression changed from confusion to sheer joy as Jenna signalled for her to come through.

"You guys better prepare yourself the bands due on in a couple of minutes." Jenna said as both her and Jenny squeezed themselves back into their tiny corner.

"I didn't realise you were covering this event too," Jenny asked trying to catch her breath again.

"I'm not, I had a meeting here before and then just stayed, "Jill replied, "I think I might go deaf."

Jenny started to laugh, "I know, it's mad, thanks for getting me up here I couldn't see anything back there."

"No problem." Jill replied having to shout back.

The fans started to push at the barriers and yell even louder as the PA system announced the bands imminent arrivals. A girl was quickly lifted over the barrier for her own safety and Jill felt so bad for her. She had been at the front, probably slept overnight on the pavement and now seconds away from seeing her band she had fainted.

As the guys took to the stage the place just erupted and Jill couldn't help laughing. The anticipation was at feverpitch and didn't abate as they started with Give em hell.

Frank was soon down on his knees and lying on his back as the energy level just continued to increase. The guys seemed to be really enjoying themselves as they grinned at each other and thrashed about on the stage.

Jill's attention was drawn towards a scuffle taking place at the side of the stage. She watched as the top of Dirk Tourette's head could be seen as he was escorted or as Jill would say virtually dragged away from the stage area by the bands security.

"That guy is a complete arse," Jill remarked to Jenny.

"Did you see him flick that cigarette at Bob Bryar?" Jenny replied still watching Dirk as he was escorted out into the street.

"What a complete dick," Jill said shaking her head, "Trying to be the big guy, I would love to see him do that when Bob's not constrained behind a set of drums."

"Exactly," Jenny replied as they both turned their attention back to the band.

"Ohh I love this song," Jill said as prison started and she couldn't help but sing along.

Gerard thanked everybody for coming down to see them tonight and announced that the next song would be their last for the evening. Gerard added that he hoped everybody would enjoy the new album and that it was their best work so far. The fans yelled out as they kicked off I'm not okay.

Although it was a short set everybody seemed to just stand for a moment as they soaked in what they had just been part of. The madness began to subdue but nobody seemed to move as the fans waited for the signing to start.

"I have to be getting back to the office." Jenny said as she gathered up her things.

"You writing up tonight?" Jill asked turning her focus to Jenny.

"Neil wants it on his desk tomorrow," Jenny replied rolling her eyes, "You going back to the office?"

Jill shook her head, "No I've got a few things to finish here then I'm off home."

"Lucky you, I swear Neil will be sitting at his desk waiting for my stuff first thing."

"I know that feeling well." Jill said sympathetically.

"See you tomorrow."

"Bye Jenny." Jill replied giving Jenny a hug.

Jill watched as the crew started to set up the tables for the signing session. She started to set up the tables for the signing session. She started to feel awkward as she stood around not quite knowing what to do with herself. Jill smiled as she noticed Jenna walking towards here.

"Hey Jill, you can go round the back if you like." Jenna said leaning to Jill's ear to be heard over the noise.

"Actually do you think it would be okay if I just nipped over to the coffee place and came back when the guys are free?" Jill asked wanting to escape.

"Sure, I'll come and get you when they are finished here." Jenna replied slightly surprised.

"Brilliant." Jill said practically running out of the store. She finally managed to get out after battling with the security guards who didn't want to open the doors.

"You won't get back in love." One guard said to her.

"That's okay." Jill smiled back.

Jill flipped open her mobile as she walked to the coffee shop.

"Hey weirdo."

"Hi Ruth." Jill replied.

"Soooo, what happened and there the hell are you?" Ruth asked.

"Well I got the job."

Ruth was silent for a moment before she shrieked down the phone, "That's brilliant Jill. I'm so pleased for you."

"We were the only magazine asked to do this," Jill said trying to explain.

"I thought they were just listening to proposals."

"So did I," Jill responded, "But they had already chosen the magazine."

"Or they had already chosen you." Ruth interupted.

"Shut up." Jill immediately replied.

"I'm serious, you know they liked the article they must trust you."

"They don't know me, shit Ruth what have I got myself in to." Jill said sighing, "I can't do this."

"You so can Jill, just think you'll get to stay in nice hotles, go on a bus trip and spend quality time staring at the Iero ass."

"RUTH," Jill replied loudly and then noticed people were staring at her, "Thanks Ruth, I've to meet with them later and all I'll be thinking about is you perving on Frank's ass."

Ruth started to laugh, "So you're meeting them later are you?"

"Yes, they want me to meet some of the other guys in their entourage," Jill explained, "Entourage, is that the right word?"

"You're hilarious," Ruth replied, "Well don't do anything I wouldn't do."

"That's a bit difficult considering there's nothing you wouldn't do, besides I'm thinking I should be telling Justin about your ass fetish."

"Don't you dare, it's not a fetish." Ruth palyfully warned, "A girl can admire a fine piece of art when she see's it."

Jill sighed she knew Ruth would have an answer for everything, "Well I'm going now."

"You should come and stay at mine instead of travelling back to yours." Ruth said.

"Thanks Ruth, I might do that but I don't know how long I'll be."

"No worries and hey Jill," Ruth asked.

"Yep," Jill responded as she pushed open the door to Starbucks.

"How did Bob look?"

"Goodbye Ruth." Jill answered as she closed her phone to the sound of Ruth yelling, "Mighty fine I bet."

Jill ordered her usual and waited as the barristar worked through their orders. She stood recalling the events of the last few hours, she thought about how surreal it all was.

"Miss, is that your coffee?"

Jill jumped slightly as the elderly man tapped her shoulder, "Oh I'm sorry," Jill replied picking up her drink and smiling at the old man. She sat down at a table and flicked open her diary. Jill had never been as busy as she was now. She loved her job and the constant buzz she got from never knowing what or who was round the corner. Jill gently flicked through the pages to November and scribbled in the dates she would be working on her new assignment. She opened her mobile once again.

"Hey Dad, how are you?"

Jill smiled as she heard the familiar voice and she pictured the big smile that would be on his face.

"Jill, so you're still alive?"

"Dad, I phoned you last week." Jill replied.

"I know but I'd prefer if you phoned me every day so I know you're safe down there."

Jill sighed slightly, they had the same conversation everytime she phoned home. Her Dad was so pleased of how well his daughter had done but he wished she didn't have to be so far away from home.

"How are you?" he asked, "You eating enough and so you have enough money?"

"You know I'll help you if you are short you just have to ask."

"Dad," Jill replied, "I was phoning to tell you about my new assignment."

"Ohh, you got a new job?"

"I'm still with the same magazine but I've to go on tour with a band this time." Jill explained.

"On tour, " her Dad replied, "You mean on your own with a rock band, is it all men?"

"Yes Dad, it's all men," Jill replied unable to stop laughing.

"Who is it?" her Dad asked nervously, "I don't like the sound of this."

"It's My Chemical Romance Dad and it's only for a week." Jill said trying to reassure him.

"Who?"

"Dad, it's the band I did the article on last month."

"Oh yes, " her Dad replied, "They sound like nice boys even if they do dress weird."

Jill couldn't contain her laughter anymore.

"What's so funny?" her asked, "That's right you make fun of the old man."

"Dad, " Jill said wiping the tears of laughter from her face.

"Jill are you sure you should be touring with a group of men. I know what goes on."

"Dad, I won't be sleeping with them." Jill started to reply.

"WHAT?" her Dad yelled almost having a coronary.

"I mean't I won't be sleeping with them on the bus or anything. I get to stay in a hotel overnight and I just follow them to each venue." Jill said correcting herself.

"Well that sounds better but you be careful."

"I always am Dad, I was actually hoping to catch up with you as one of the gigs is in Glasgow and I'm sure I could get away for a few hours." Jill told him.

"That would be great Jill."
"I don't like to think of you on your own at this time of year."

"Jill, I'm fine honestly," her Dad replied trying to reassure her as much as he could, "How are you?"

"I''m okay, it's hard but as long as I know I can see you then I'll be fine." Jill replied wishing she could hug him right at this very moment.

"I know wee one but your ugly big brotheris coming to stay next week with Heather and the kids so I'm not on my own."

Jill gulped trying to rid herself of the knot in her throat, "You just make sure he doesn't go stealing the good records again, he never brings them back." Jill said changing the conversation.

"I don't mind, I'd rather they were listened to than just gathering dust." Her Dad replied.

"Don't let him in the cupboard though Dad." Jill said knowing the cupboard was her Dad's sacred place full of his prized vinyl LP's."

"I won't I promise."

"Well I better go Dad, I love you."

"I love you too and you call me more," her Dad asked.

"Yes Dad," Jill replied closing her mobile and taking a deep breath. Her latte had become cold as she took a sip of it. Jill was rarely homesick, she missed her family and friends and she felt it more when she called home. She knew she had ran away from things when she had moved to London, it was much easier to cope when you didn't have to face the consistent reminders every hour of each day. Jill had been incredibly close to her Mum and for a long time she didn't think she could ever live without her.

"That's right we work away for hours and you just kick back with a coffee."

Jill felt someone sit beside her and she looked at him, "You call that work," Jill replied grinning at Frank.

"Hey that's unfair," Frank replied holding out his hands in front of her, "Look my hands are all red and my wrist is killing me from signing my name for hours,"

"Poor Frank, imagine if you had been a miner."

"Okay okay, I'm a spoilt rockstaf," Frank replied, "and a moaning one at that."

Jill glanced around her, "Should you be out here on your own?"

Frank started to laugh, "I think I'm old enough."

"I meant is it safe with all the fans about?" Jill replied indicating towards the window as she watched groups of fans walking by.

"You are so funny, I came here with security." Frank assured her indicating towards two big guys ordering coffee.

"Ahh," Jill replied.

"Now if I was Gerard with hair like a beacon I might be in trouble but I can usually get around with no-one noticing." Frank added, "You ready to get something to eat?"

"Yep."

"Just have to wait for Gee and Mikey's damn coffee." Frank stated rolling his eyes, "I swear Jill they can sniff out the stuff as soon as we arrive anywhere."

Frank watched the two men as they indicated for him to follow, "See I just do what I'm told."

Jill laughed, she knew she would be fine with Frank, he seemed so easy to get along with.

"So no Justin today." Frank asked as they waited to cross the road.

"No, he's in Germany at the moment." Jill replied slightly bewildered.

"That must be difficult." Frank replied.

"Eh, I'm not following you." Jill said turning to face him.

"You must miss him when he's away."

Jill started to laugh, "I do miss him but not in the way I think you're indicating."

"So you and him aren't a couple?"

Jill stopped dead, it wasn't the first time someone had assumed this but she was taken a back that someone like Frank would notice. "Nooooo, he's like a brother to me and well frankly the thought of me and Justin is just gross."

Frank couldn't help the huge grin on his face and his mind had already started to plot as Jill grabbed him to get him to cross the road.

"You guys must find it hard always being on the road?" Jill asked trying to get him to wake up.

"We've been travelling for so long now it's like second nature but the break we had recording this album was good as our family and girlfriends could stay." Frank replied, "You might get to meet my Jamia on tour if she can make it."

"It must be difficult for you both." Jill replied.

"It can be hell I miss her so much," Frank said following the guys down a side street.

"Come on Frank." The security man shouted as he held open a door at the back of the store.

"I get yelled at a lot aswell." Frank told Jill as she followed him in the door.

"Yeah, but what he doesn't tell you is that he is the main cause of all the trouble." Bob replied slapping Frank over the back of the head, "Ain't that so Frankie?"

"Don't listen to him Jill," Frank said pleading, "I'm sweet and innocent, just ask Gee,"

Jill looked over at Gerard, "Ask Gee what?" Gerard said removing the lid from his cup, "Hey worm there's no chocolate sprinkles."

Jill smirked as she watched Bob roll his eyes.

"Gee, tell Jill how sweet I am?" Frank asked sidling up to Gerard.

"Is she doubting your sweetness?"

"She is you know," Frank replied pouting at Jill which only resulted in Jill laughing.

Bob started moving towards Jill, "Please fucking spare us," Bob said, "Come on Jill let's get away from the idiots."

"Charming." Gerard said to Frank.

"Okay," Jill laughed as she followed Bob back outside towards a van.

"Hey Mikey." Bob said as he pulled himself in the van.

"Jill, you made it through the madness then." Mikey said moving over to let Jill sit beside him.

"I did, you guys were brilliant out there." Jill replied sitting down.

"You think so," Bob asked.

"Totally."

"The stage bit was really small, it was like the old days," Mikey replied, "I kinda felt a bit uncomfortable playing so close to the fans, they could see all my fuck-ups."

"You didn't fuck up," Ray said picking up the end of the conversation as he entered the van, "Oh hi Jill."

"I so did," Mikey said looking at his hands, "I don't know what's going on, I'm having to concentrate really hard at the moment, it's not a natural thing anymore."

"You're too hard on yourself." Ray said putting his hand on Mikey's shoulder.

"I guess but you and Frank make me look so shit." Mikey added and the despondency in his voice was so clear to Jill.

"Now you are talking rubbish Mike." Ray responded.

"Hey, where are those idiots?" Mikey said changing the subject and looking back towards the store.

"Here they come now." Bob said pinting towards them, "Move the fuck on, some of us want to eat tonight."

Eventually Gerard and Frank made it into the van.

"See Jill, they just shout at me." Frank said.

"That's because you're so small." Bob replied.

Frank glared at him, "I'm not the shortest here now, Jill's shorter than me."

"What height are you Jill?" Gerard asked.

Jill look slightly baffled at the odd conversation, "I'm 5,4."

"Ha Frank, you're both the same so technically you're both joint shortest." Bob said.

"Fuck off." Frank snapped,

"He's very precious about his height Jill," Ray explained, "I promise that we are capable of having grown up conversations."

"No worries, "Jill replied, "Hey Frank just remember the best things come in the smallest packages."

"See Bob, Jill thinks I'm special." Frank smirked




So nervous about this one - Please rate/review so i know what you think. I hope i haven't let you guys down.
Cheers again for your reviews - i appreciate them so much.
Sign up to rate and review this story