Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Untitled Story - Year 5

Aftermath

by matt311 0 reviews

Harry starts his 5th year - AU, eventual H/Hr. MildlyPowerful!Harry, Smart!Harry, TakesInitiative!Harry. See chapter one for more detailed summary.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-08-22 - Updated: 2008-08-22 - 2175 words - Complete

1Exciting
Chapter Twelve – Aftermath
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 20 April 1996
Hogsmeade Station
Hogsmeade
13:40

As Harry and Hermione discussed repairing the Hogwarts Express, they were interrupted by a familiar clearing of the throat.

“Hem, Hem!”

Harry looked skyward, and mouthed “Why?” before turning to face Umbridge.

“Is there something we can help you with professor? We are kind of busy at the moment.” said Harry, indicating the Hogwarts Express.

“You are to return to the castle to face punishment for recklessly endangering the lives of students, Mr. Potter.”

Harry laughed.

“Oh, that’s rich. This coming from the woman who has students use blood quills to do lines in detention. Oh, yes, Professor, I remember that detention.” said Harry, looking at a quickly paling Umbridge.

“Oblivi” started Umbridge in a panicked voice, before finding her wand flying towards Harry, who caught and snapped it.

“Now, that’s not very nice. What were you planning to do, memory charm all of us here? Surely even you don’t think that highly of your abilities.” said Harry before turning to one of the ADA members nearby. “Would you mind having those two Aurors come over here? I’m sure they’ll be most interested in our dear Professor’s recent behaviour.”

Several minutes later, Umbridge was taken to a Ministry holding cell by Aurors, who also took a copy of Harry memory of the events in question.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 20 April 1996
Study
Riddle Manor
14:00

Voldemort was pacing in his study, unable to remember being this angry before. Somehow, Potter had managed to stop his plans again. AGAIN!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 20 April 1996
Headmaster’s Office
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
16:00

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were seated in Dumbledore’s office. Dumbledore had just explained the prophesy to them, and had shown them the memory of it in his pensive. Harry was frowning.

“I really should have guessed. That question about Voldemort you asked should have given it away. Tell me, when were you planning on letting me in on this prophesy?”

“I was holding off, hoping to give you a chance at a normal childhood.” said Dumbledore, as if it answered everything. Harry laughed.

“Dumbledore, that is the most ridiculous reason for something I’ve ever heard. Me? Have a normal childhood? Are you slow? That notion should have gone out the window during my first year, and if not then, during my second year. I highly suspect that the only way I’d have something even resembling a normal childhood would require me moving to the United States and attending school there under a false name.” said Harry, before pausing.

“While we’re on the subjects of your delusions, are there really any so-called “blood wards” at Privet Drive, or was I placed there for some other reason? Your ‘normal childhood’ pipe dream, perhaps?”

“I thought it was for the best for you to grow up in a loving environment away from the fame.” said Dumbledore.

Harry gaped like a fish for a few seconds, before regaining the ability to speak and laying into Dumbledore again.

“Loving environment? LOVING ENVIRONMENT? Are you joking? I can’t deny it was well away from the fame, possibly as far as it can get. You do realize I was treated as a slave until I was eight, right? After that, I was merely an unpaid servant, the Dursleys too afraid of retaliation to start any conflict. Most children have some sort of room to sleep in. I had a CUPBOARD, Dumbledore, a small cupboard under the stairs, complete with spiders!”

At this point, Hermione started in, having remembered something about blood wards.

“Professor, Harry staying at Privet Drive last summer was an unnecessary risk. Voldemort used HARRY’S blood to regain a body! The wards would let him in without complaint! Please tell me you simply forgot that little fact, and didn’t send him back there anyway.”

As they discovered more of Dumbledore’s pipe dreams, Harry remembered something that had been bothering him for some time.

“Dumbledore, am I correct in assuming that you are my Magical guardian?”

“Yes.” said Dumbledore, wondering where he was going with this.

“So, correct me if I’m wrong, but Gringotts sends you anything regarding my accounts until I am of age, right?”

“Yes.”

“Well, Dumbledore, you should find a reduction in paperwork come summer. I think It’s time I started dealing with the ‘real world’. Good Evening.” said Harry, before leaving the office, Ron and Hermione hurrying after him, but not finding him when they reached the hall. They eventually found him in the Room of Requirement, blasting wooden targets into tiny splinters, working off the anger he had built up in the office. Ron and Hermione sat back and waited for him to cool off, both somewhat stunned by his revelations about his childhood.

When Harry finally stopped obliterating targets, he sat down between Ron and Hermione.

“I really need to get my act together. I should have asked more questions earlier. I have got to get away from the Dursleys’, too. You two want to join me this summer on my jolly quest to leave Privet Drive and go house hunting? I’m sure the Potters, being a rather old family, had more than a small cottage in Godric’s Hollow.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, 21 April 1996
Headmaster’s Office
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
11:00

Harry was once again in the Headmaster’s office. He had cooled down from his rage the day before, and let most of Dumbledore’s failings go. He had, after all, been acting on good intentions. However, Harry thought the phrase “The road to hell is paved with good intentions” fit like a well sized glove.

“So, Harry, I find myself without a Defence against the Dark Arts professor yet again. From the performance at the ministry, I’m sure you can teach the subject competently. I’ll be frank with you. I am offering the position to you partly to make up for my prior failings with you. However, I would also rather not trust the ministry to install a competent individual, and I have more than enough confidence in your abilities. You would take over the class starting tomorrow, and would continue as normal in the classes that would not be conflicting with the position. For the classes that you would be unable to attend, you can arrange to pick up the work and turn it in on a modified schedule. When teaching, you would have all the responsibilities of a member of staff, and you would be required to attend staff meetings. Will you take the position?” asked Dumbledore.

“Yes, I will. I’ve found I rather like teaching.” said Harry.

“You’ve been teaching?” asked Dumbledore, mildly surprised.

“Me to know, you to find out, and all that. I expect you’ll make an announcement at Dinner?”

“Yes.”

Harry started to walk out of the office, before stopping and looking back at Dumbledore.

“I don’t have to sit at the staff table do I?”

“No, Harry. Actually, the staff are free to sit wherever they please.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, 21 April 1996
Entrance Hall
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
11:45

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were making their way to the Great Hall for lunch.

After putting up a privacy ward, Harry spoke.

“Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore’s found a new Defence professor.”

“Who?” asked Hermione, wondering what specimen of Magical Being they would get this time.

“Me. I’d appreciate you keeping it to yourselves until he makes the announcement at dinner. I sense another opportunity to humiliate Malfoy.”

“The Board of Governors and the papers will have a field day with this, I’m sure.” said Hermione. Ron simply shrugged.

“In other words, the usual.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, 21 April 1996
Great Hall
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
17:00

As the school sat in the Great Hall starting on their food, Dumbledore stood and started speaking.

“As you all know, we are once again without a Defence against the Dark Arts professor, due to the recent incarceration of Delores Umbridge for several crimes. I therefore wish to announce that–” said Dumbledore, stopping as the doors to the Hall opened, admitting Cornelius Fudge, Lucius Malfoy, and a third person Harry didn’t recognise.

“Dumbledore, I have found a replacement for the Defence position. Mr. Malfoy here has shown himself to be knowledgeable in the subject.”

Dumbledore, twinkling, looked down at Fudge.

“As I reminded Umbridge when she relieved me of my Divination teacher, the ministry can only fill teaching positions if the headmaster is unable to do so. I am glad to announce that I managed to fill the position, even given the rather short time I had to do it. As a matter of fact, I was in the process of announcing that when you came in. Now, where was I? Oh yes. I therefore wish to announce that Mr. Potter has agreed to fill the position until at least the end of term.”

Muttering broke out in the hall.

Fudge looked incredulous.

“Potter? Teach Defence? Surely you jest, Dumbledore.”

“No, I’m actually completely serious.”

“But he’s a student! And only a fifth year!”

Harry stood up.

“Your point, Minister? If you doubt my ability to teach, there are at least 50 students between 4th and 7th year who can attest to my abilities in that area. If it’s my knowledge of the subject you doubt, given the useless waste you put in the position to prevent us from learning anything in the subject, I have some things for you to think about.” Said Harry.

“On Saturday, the Ministry and Hogsmead were attacked by Voldemort. Who contained and ended that situation? Not your Ministry or its vaunted Aurors, Minister. A group of 4th through 7th year students, numbering only slightly less than the attacking death eaters who, by the way, happened to be aided by 3 giants and a troll. Shall I continue with the events at the Ministry?”

“No, you’ve made your point.” said the minister quietly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, 21 April 1996
Near the stone Gargoyle
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
18:15

Harry turned to Ron and Hermione.

“You two continue to the common room. I’ll see you there. I just remembered something I need to ask Dumbledore.”

As the two set off, he started towards the stone Gargoyle guarding the stairs to the Headmaster’s office. As he reached it, he heard a noise behind him and turned around, just managing to dodge a sickly orange jet of light that came from behind a suit of armour. Raising an invisible shield, Harry dodged another spell. Malfoy, seemingly unable to resist gloating or needling Harry, stepped out from behind the suit.

“So, Potter, you thi” started Malfoy, before being petrified and levitated towards Harry, who spoke.

“Malfoy, are you really as stupid as you act? Every time you try to insult me and my friends, you end up humiliated. Every time you try to injure us, you fail. You are arrogant in the extreme. You might be worth something in a fight if you could bring yourself to refrain from gloating in the middle of it. I highly doubt that even “your father” will be able to prevent your expulsion. Now, why don’t you join me when I visit the headmaster. I’m sure he’ll be very interested in why you attacked a professor.”

As Harry levitated Malfoy into his office, Dumbledore looked at Malfoy, then at Harry and raised an eyebrow. As Harry closed the door, he explained.

“He attacked me outside your office. Seems to me it’s rather cowardly to attack someone’s back from the shadows.”

As Harry lowered Malfoy to the ground and ended the spell, Malfoy hurriedly got to his feet and tried to look like the victim. His attempts were put on hold as Harry drew out his memory of the event and Dumbledore brought out his pensive. One thoroughly incriminating memory later, Malfoy resumed his attempts.

“When my father gets word of this, he’ll–”

“Have to explain why the son of such an “Upstanding Citizen” knew and attempted to use that spell on a human. A borderline dark spell, I might add, normally used by butchers to skin and prepare animal carcasses.” said Dumbledore. “You are to pack your things and report back here within half an hour to return home. You are hereby expelled from Hogwarts.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, 21 April 1996
Gryffindor Common Room
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
18:45

Harry entered the common room and made his way to Ron and Hermione.

“Well, Malfoy has been expelled.”

“What? Why?” asked Ron and Hermione at the same time.

“He attacked my back from the shadows outside Dumbledore’s office. As usual, his skills came up short and he was unable to avoid expulsion, having knowingly attacked a professor with a lethal spell.”

“Lethal spell?” asked Hermione, looking worried.

“Don’t worry, he missed. The spell is usually used by butchers to skin and prepare animal carcasses, from what Dumbledore said.”
Sign up to rate and review this story