Categories > Original > Drama > Beat of Their Own Drums

For My Love

by Alcatraz 0 reviews

Paige is shy. Everyone knows that. Nick can't help but wonder if she can handle the spotlight of being a Jonas Brothers' girl. Song used: Bethany Dillon's "For My Love"

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-10-12 - Updated: 2008-10-13 - 2373 words

0Unrated
A/N: Yesh, the other day was Yom Kippur, so instead of going to school like all you normal Christian/Buddist/Hindu/Atheist kids were at school I was spending all day in front of computer writing this piece. Yay! This is actually a nice change of pace. It may be from Paige's point of view (which is nothing new), but it's actually set earlier than the others and she's paired with the smexy Nick Jonas. Hehehehehe...enjoy!

Disclaimer: I do not own the lyrics to "For My Love".

Song Used: Bethany Dillon's "For My Love".



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nine: For My Love
Puppet: Paige Waters



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walk towards me,
I want to hear,
The heavens singing over you,
When you breath,
And look at me,
I want to be captured by you...


In the past, all I had wanted was for someone to be there.

I used to look at those couples in the hall at school and hadn't been able to help feeling a twinge of jealousy. The boy always looked so satisfied with his fingers entwined with hers. The girl always looked like she felt absolutely safe with his arms around her.

Both always looked so happy after breaking a kiss.

Had it been a few months before, I would've said I didn't even know what any of that felt like. I'd felt my heart reaching out for someone else's before, but I'd never felt theirs reaching back. I'd held someone's hand before, but I'd never really understood what the big fuss was. I'd been hugged by someone before, but never had I felt such a warm feeling of security.

But now, I had felt someone reach out a hand for mine. I understood that holding hands was the simplest, sweetest way to connect with someone special. I had felt as if nothing could cause me any harm when he held me.

It was certainly strange, all these new experiences, but I can't say that I didn't welcome them.

Even what I was doing now was a bit of a new thing to me; it was very rare for me to find the guts to show up at a dance, much less homecoming. Now, it wasn't as if I minded the dancing or the dresses, or even the huge crowd of people. Those things meant very little to me. I like dancing, I liked my dress, and these people were my friends.

In the past, the sole reason why I hadn't enjoyed going to dances was because they taxed my self esteem. Before tonight, I knew that none of the boys there really didn't want to dance with me; not because I was ugly, but because I was shy and they didn't want to take the time to crack through my shell.

I didn't blame them, but it still hurt.

If it hadn't been for his invitation, I would probably be at home right now, laying on my bed, staring up at the ceiling. I would probably be wondering why I'd let someone else make the decision for me. I would probably feel sorry for myself...but I wasn't. Why?

Because he'd asked me to the dance, not another girl. Because he didn't mind chasing after me, even when he could've darted after another far easier to catch.

And I wanted him to hurry and catch up. I wasn't going that fast.

Gaze into my eyes,
And let me know you'd fight,
Thousands, for my love,
Slip your hand in mine,
Ask me to dance with you tonight,
Just ask me for my love...


We'd been separated for the time being. My friends had dragged me over with them and were chatting about what seemed to be nothing truly important as I searched distractedly through the crowd for him. I wasn't sure where he had gotten off to, but I was starting to hope he'd come and rescue me soon. I came there to dance, not to talk.

A pair of familiar hands wrapped about my waist with sweet slowness but startling suddenness, and my back was gently pressed against a special someone's warm, tuxedo-clad chest. I recognized the faint smell of mint clutching tightly to his clothes, so I was not afraid. I relaxed back into his body, smiling a little in satisfaction. “I was just starting to wonder where you'd gotten off to.”

He chuckled, his soft, heated breath displacing some of my hair and tickling my scalp. “I've been standing back here for a while now.”

I twisted my neck around to peer awkwardly at him. “Really?”

He smiled, warming my heart with the assurance that my baby was happy and even more so because he was happy with me. “Yeah,” he answered with a shrug of his strong, though not too brawny shoulders, “I was waiting to see how long it'd take you to notice someone was looking at you.”

“Oh,” I replied, feeling the warmth rising in my cheeks but hoping frailly that my blush wasn't too obviously, “I'm sorry.”

He kept smiling. “It's okay.” He said reassuringly. Then, with a mischievous smile that made me think of a little boy rather than a growing young man, he added, “You're cute when you don't think anyone's watching.”

The blush got worse. I could feel it. “G-glad you think so,” I managed to stutter out, caught off guard by the compliment, “though I'm not sure I like the idea of you spying on me.”

He laughed. I kept blushing, but I managed to find some happiness in the sound. He had a cute laugh that seemed far too deeply toned to really be his voice, the way a Great Dane puppy seems far too small for its paws before eventually growing into them. “Don't think of it as spying, Paige,” he soothed in a tone so soft I could almost feel it, “think of it as admiring.”

My heart cheerily skipped a beat and suddenly it didn't really matter that my cheeks were red as a fire truck. I wasn't quite sure what to say, so I simply smiled bashfully up at him for a moment before looking shyly at my feet.

He gently rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet to the tempo of the current song.

“Come dance with me.”

I want to hide,
What's deep in my eyes,
I'm scared to be known by you,
But when I turn my head,
And see you there,
I want to be pursued...


I was all too happy to comply.

The two of us still smiling as if we'd been handed the moon, Nick released his hold from behind and took me by the hand. Slowly, taking our time, we came out onto the dance floor, and I was suddenly aware of the gawking stares of my friends. They knew who my escort was, but they obviously hadn't realized that he'd been standing nearby until then.

What girl didn't want to have a chance to talk to Nick Jonas, after all?

I didn't even recognize second song as it started up, the last notes of the first one hardly given a chance to fade away before being replaced. It was a slow melody, starting with a gentle strumming on an acoustic guitar that was shortly accompanied by a sweet, husky voice of a female singer. So slurred were her words under the clamor of people, I couldn't tell what she was saying.

But that didn't matter, because all of a sudden I received a shock: I realized that I actually hadn't ever slow danced with him before.

Looked like that was about to change.

“What's the matter?” He questioned gently, turning to face me. A set of fingers brushed worriedly against my brow as if he thought perhaps I was sick, his eyebrows tilting upward in such a cute expression that, had it not screamed concern, I would've melted. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” I answered, smiling a little in embarrassment, “yeah, I'm fine. Just a little nervous is all.”

He frowned lightly and loosely put his arms around my waist. “You want to wait for a different song? 'Cause that'd be all -”

“No,” I cut in, shaking my head firmly and putting my hands on his shoulders, resolving right then and there to not let a new experience phase me, “it's okay.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

“If you say so...”

I smiled a little to myself as he, obviously taken a little off guard by a girl who wasn't sure if she wanted to dance with him, stiffly began to sway in time to the music.

“Feels like I'm not the only edgy one.”

Gaze into my eyes,
And let me know you'd fight,
Thousands, for my love,
Slip your hand in mine,
Ask me to dance with you tonight,
Just ask me for my love...


In a rare moment I hadn't ever seen before, Nick's eyes flickered shyly away and his ever present confidence seemed to fade some. “People are watching us.”

I almost laughed. Surely he was used to that, right? After all, he was the youngest (and the cutest, in most girls' opinions) Jonas Brother; a little attention should've been familiar at this point. “Yeah? What's wrong with that?”

“Some have cameras and stuff...”

“So?”

His hold around my waist tightened, bringing me much closer and making me feel almost as if he were trying to protect me from something. “So I'm worried about you,” he murmured, pressing his forehead to mine and sighing gently, “you and I...w-we haven't really been very public until now and you...you're shy. There's nothing wrong with that, but it just occurred to me that...well...I-I don't want to mess up your life with any media hype.”

His handsome dark eyes searched mine for something I wasn't sure I had: fear. In any case, I was flattered that he'd taken such consideration to my feelings when I myself hadn't even thought of that yet. I cast a glance over my shoulder and, sure enough, caught the eyes of a few onlookers who looked away in embarrassment when they realized I was watching.

A dream I won't wake from,
A story that will never end,
The ground your feet walk on,
Let me be there, let me be there...


He cupped my cheek in one hand, the other still holding me close. “I want us to work, but if you don't think you can handle -”

“Nick, that's part of what you do,” I cut him off for the second time that night, placing a gentle finger to his lips, “it's part of who you are. I know that. I knew that the day we were 'public' about it was going to come.”

He removed my hand, taking my by the wrist and holding on with gentle firmness should I try and shush him again. “But if it's going to bother you...”

“It won't. I want to be a part of who you are, too,” I said, feeling very much as if I were speaking with the tongue of another, bolder creature than the one I truly was, “so really the true question is if you can handle it. Tell me: do you think you can make room in your heart for both music and Paige Waters, or is it too much?”

Gaze into my eyes,
Let me know you'd fight,
Thousands, for my love,
Slip your hand in mine,
Ask me to dance with you tonight,
Just ask me for my love...


He froze. His eyes were so wide that I thought for a moment that they would pop out of their sockets. His grip, both on my wrist and my body, tightened spasmodically, clearly shaken to the very core by my comeback. I wondered for a moment if I was the first girl who'd ever asked him that, but quickly pushed my arrogance aside. I lifted my eyebrows expectantly at him, awaiting the moment of truth I had so unexpectedly thrust upon him.

“No,” he whispered breathlessly, his other arm slowly coming around so he was holding me again, “I love my music, but...”

He trailed off, looking very much unsure if he should finish his sentence.

My inherent curiosity got the better of me. “But what, Nick?” I asked, being sure to keep my voice down rather than blurting it out like I was tempted to.

He eyes danced over every inch of my face, the muscles in his face tightened in a grimace as if someone had just slipped a needle into his arm when he was least expecting it. I couldn't help but feel a twinge of worry at the sudden disappearance of his certainty.

But that too, faded, he soft lips capturing my own in a tender, chaste kiss that lasted a few mere seconds that felt like eternity.

He nuzzled my cheek as soon as he broke the contact of our lips, blowing softly onto my skin and warming it with his hot breath. His eyes still closed, his body still warm against mine, his grip protectively tight, and his voice as soft as silk, he finished.

“I think I love you a lot more.”

My heart made a spectacular leap up into my throat, blocking off all means of oxygen and ruining any attempt at speech I may have tried to make in those numb few seconds of my life. Did he really just tell me he loved me?

My head spun, but I still managed to sputter out a few words. “I-I love you too, Nick.”

He'd caught me, and I wondered why I'd ever ran in the first place. I just wanted to be loved, after all.

Gaze into my eyes,
Let me know you'd fight,
Thousands, for my love,
Slip your hand in mine,
Ask me to dance with you tonight,
Ask me for my love.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I really enjoyed writing this one, actually. My favorite part about it's gotta be Nick's dialogue; I imagine him being a sweetheart like that most of the time...the other chapters he's in are when he's irritated or mad, hence his change in behavior. I really like the lyrics to this song...so pretty...
Sign up to rate and review this story