Categories > Anime/Manga > Death Note > Death Note: A New Era

Phone Call

by Shank 0 reviews

Light and Ryuji come into contact

Category: Death Note - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Characters: Yagami Raito,Yagami Soichiro - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2009-01-13 - Updated: 2009-01-13 - 1945 words - Complete

0Unrated
Light couldn’t believe what was going on. After everything that had happened, he thought he was home free to almost claim the world as a God. The idea that some amateur could instil fear into him was something he never saw coming. He thought he had gotten rid of this Ryuji guy from the internet when he killed the Yakuza boss and the entire list of the prison escapees he had downloaded from the Japanese police mainframe. Yet, right now, he was talking to him on the phone. This guy had been able to find him and talk to him somehow and this worried Light a little at the element of surprise. However, this guy had possibly not considered that L himself was Kira and that he could hopefully use the method Ryuji used to get in contact with him to find out who he was and bring him down. Despite being a little flustered, his voice was calm, “So Ryuji, as someone in law enforcement I probably should be trying to get you to turn yourself in.” A voice answered back. It was a Japanese person, his voice was scary. It sounded cold, as though all the emotion and happiness had been taken from this man. Light knew someone close to him had been taken. “Yes you probably should be trying, but don’t waste your breath. Our goals are the same, are they not?”
“That may be true Ryuji but were you not an escapee from the prison? How am I supposed to speak to you without being worried you will hurt innocent people, we have enough trouble with Kira right now as it is.”
“You cannot stop yourself from being worried that is what people in your position should be feeling. But if you knew my story you would no I am a threat to nobody other than Kira. I would like to tell you everything, but I cannot risk it just yet.”
“You think Kira is controlling our investigation?”
“I think it is possible. You are L after all; the number one detective and you haven’t caught him, so I do think it is possible. It is also possible, that there is no L, and that it is really Kira’s alter ego to ensure nobody comes for him.”
“I assure you, I as L or anyone else are Kira or under the influence of Kira.”
“That is something Kira would say.”
“I suppose it might be, I noticed you referred to Kira as a ‘he’”.
“We both know that Kira is a man but let us not get off topic. Now that I have this number, I will call you when I am ready to give you a phone that I can be sure will not be traced. I know that you will definitely try and arrest me, so it seems I will have to prove my worth through my actions to gain your trust and therefore keep my distance from you. I need to get this done, even if you put me back in prison after I have found Kira.” Before Light could say anything, the phone hung up and Light turned to his fellow officers on the unit and everyone was unsure as what to say.



3 Hours Earlier

Ryuuj iwas still a little sore, but at least he could go outside in the light now. He had spent too much time cooped up and although it had given him time to map things out, he was busting to get his revenge done. He knew where he was going to start and that was getting in contact with L. Although getting in contact with L was easier said than done, L didn’t trust any of the authorities, nobody knew who he was, there was no chance he would trust an escaped fugitive. L may possibly think he could be Kira or somebody from the millions of people in the public that had pledged their support for Kira’s will. Despite these obstacles, he knew he needed to get in contact with L as a good place to start in his hunt for Kira.

He didn’t need to think long as to who he would try to get in touch with that may have connections with L. He once had a friend when he was still a behavioural analyst for the Japanese law enforcement by the name of Yagami Soichiro. He was one of the best cops in Japan and he knew with his sense of justice and experience he would be a prime candidate of someone to work closely with L on a special investigation unit.

Ryuji got dressed and took himself to the closest bus station to travel into the heart of Tokyo. Nobody could recognise him. If he wore the mask, he believed most people on the street would be able to pick him out and possibly even try to kill him. Some may also try and capture him to bring forward as some kind of offering to Kira. He sat quietly until he got to the part of the town the big police headquarters was in. He walked in casually up to a woman at the counter. She looked at him and smiled, “Can I help you sir?”
“Yes I was hoping I could talk to an Officer Yagami Soichiro? I need to discuss some matters with him.”
“I am sorry sir but I am afraid that is not possible. Officer Yagami has taken some leave from his duties-is there anyone else you could speak to?”
“No thanks that is fine,” Ryuji said with a smile on his face. He headed out of the building feeling very confident. He couldn’t be happier as there was no way that with all the killings from Kira that Yagami Soichiro would be on leave-it only proved he was working closely with L.

He had kept a stash of phone numbers back at his apartment, which he had hidden prior to being locked away in prison. Ryuji wasn’t surprised that his apartment had been rented out by someone by now, a busy city such as Tokyo was sure to have people constantly looking to get places closer to the heart of the metropolis. Although it was a hassle, nobody was home, which he took as a good omen for his path ahead. It was then a matter of breaking in, going to the wall with the loose tile in it that had all his phone numbers in it and being able to locate Soichiro’s number. Before he walked out with the number in his hand, he turned around and looked back at the apartment he once had with his wife, it bought back some painful memories and he closed the door behind him on the way out. Thinking about how he could now call Soichiro, he knew he couldn’t just call anytime he wanted, he needed to find a phone that when traced wouldn’t give away his location and identity. He thought of his next step as he took himself back onto the street and onto another bus.



3 Hours Later

Ryuji had called Yagami Soichiro’s phone which had taken everyone by surprise. How he was able to get his number was indeed a shock and everyone wanted to know what he had to say. “So how do we treat this fugitive?” asked Matsuda.
“We treat him like any other person escaped from prison, we are not even sure-it could even be Kira,” said Light. “No it is not Kira,” said Soichiro. “This man is not capable of being Kira.” Aizawa stepped forward, “Can you not tell us anything about this person? I mean it was your number that he rang and you spoke to him before Light did, you obviously know the person why are you covering for him?” Soichiro didn’t answer right away. Light could see in his eyes he was thinking of something to say, which meant the words that were about to come out of his mouth were a lie. “This man is only technically dangerous, I was the one responsible for putting him away and I want to be very careful about the information that I release to him and to you.” Everyone was a little confused, but he was their superior so they accepted it. Light turned around. He knew Ryuji had pleaded with his dad to not tell them his identity even though he should. If his dad knew this guy, this could be a little troublesome, but maybe a little easier. If it was someone that his dad put away, it was someone he missed as he believed he had already disposed of every criminal his dad had put away. “Did we get a trace on the call?” asked Matsuda.

Light nodded, “Yes we did.” He clicked on some buttons on the computer and bought up the trace they had on the phone. They had been able to stall Ryuji on the phone long enough to get a trace and it showed a red dot flashing in the eastern part of the city. “The call was made from a cell phone, here,” he said pointing to the dot. Light clicked some more buttons and it bought up some more details, this time about the cell phone it was made from. “The phone’s serial number was EG1456789HL and was purchased about an hour ago from a shop right near where the call was made.” Aizawa and Matsuda went and got their coats without having to be told. When the phone was bought, the barcode used to register it was sent through and stored for marketing use, but it had been of better use this time. Light was happy on the inside at the thought of catching this guy. He didn’t want to accompany Aizawa and Matsuda as there was a chance this guy could be waiting for them to come and get a visual on all of them. It is what he would have done, purposely get a call traced to bring your opponents to you, but then he realised that is what he would have done-this guy wasn’t him, this guy wasn’t even L. He may have been giving this Ryuji way too much credit and seeing as though he had just killed L, it was only natural he was feeling untouchable. It was only a matter of time before he knew the identity of Ryuji.

Matsuda and Aizawa returned a couple of hours later with some important news. It seems they went down there and got the name and address of the person who purchased the phone. They even went to the security cameras and got a look at his face but when they found him at home, it seemed he had been mugged as he walked down the street. They hadn’t taken his wallet or hurt him in any way; all the mugger wanted was the phone he had just bought. It was then Light realised the severity of the situation and the person he was dealing with. This guy had been mugged by Ryuji so there was no way of tracing the phone back to hi,. He then noticed that his dad was watching him, “Let it go Light, just think that he may lead us straight to Kira anyway.” It then dawned on Light that maybe the prison escape fiasco was a fake-a distraction. His father would never help someone in prison; the only option that was left was somebody that was in the police force and a friend of his father.
Sign up to rate and review this story