Categories > Celebrities > The Used > Drowning in my Sleep

Drowning in my Sleep

by OhhNoEllie 3 reviews

A lonely social outcast, never really spoken to, ignored as if invisible, suddenly is needed, before death occurs. Bad things start to happen, or at least in his dreams they do. Sooner or later he ...

Category: The Used - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Horror,Humor,Romance - Warnings: [V] [?] - Published: 2009-01-18 - Updated: 2009-01-19 - 3046 words

0Unrated
1. DO YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK I'M SEEING?

BERT

A throbbing headache pounded against my head, which seemed to be lying on... nothing. It punded harder and harder against the inside of my skull, as if trying to crack it, burst a hole through it and pour the contents out. It was enough to make me want to rip my head right off my shoulders and chuck it in the oposite direction. But I didn't, I merely sat up.
I opened my eyes, but it made no difference, it was still pitch black in my vision, as if I was trapped in some hungry animal's mouth as it savored me.
Was I tasty? Hm... something to consider. Where's the light switch? I thought, standing up on what was now hard floor. I bent down, feeling the floor in front of me so I didn't slam against a wall.
I didn't feel anything but coarse wood as I continued my search for a wall, the search seemed endless.
"Ouch!" came my voice through the dark. I'd found a wall with my head. This added to my headache which had receeded, just a bit. I felt my way around the wall until I found something that felt different... it felt like smooth plastic instead of the rough wall that felt like raw concrete. A light switch, ah, I loved those.
It was, well, the light at the end of the tunnel, literally. If you thought about it, they illuminated a room at the flip of a switch, a whole room would be illuminated at little to no effort. Yeah, I'm a loser.
Being practical, for the first time, flipped the switch on.
"Gah!" I grunted, ah, the downside of such wonderful technology. I waited for my eyes to adjust to the bright, bright light that had come in a flash. As the last spots had been blinked away from my vision, I looked at the expanse of room before me.
It was one of those moments that if it were a movie, the music in the background would go weeooh!
What I had previously felt didn't match what I now saw. It was just a white room... or white space... I was spooked.
A mirror slowly materealized a few feet away. I walked to it, some creepy impulse told me to. I walked, but with every step, the mirror grew smaller... smaller... gone. I stopped. What the hell was this place?
"Find me..." came an eerie voice... a raspy whisper echoing off of the white space with no walls. Everything was dark again now, but not the kind of dark where I couldn't see. My eyes adjusted quickly and I scoped the room.
There was a door hanging by only one hinge against a door frame covered in scratches, a bed with grey dusty sheets and scratched up boards and posters. Next to the bed, I saw a dresser. A few drawers were askew, some neatly in place, others dumped on the floor carelessly. All the other furniture in the room was too shattered to tell what it used to be, except for a full length mirror propped against a wall. It had this... aura about it that called to me. It was practically calling my name as it drew me closer to it. I took slow, cautious steps to the mirror and I peeked over the frame and looked into the dusty glass that would show me my ever so inviting reflection. It was too dusty to see. I pressed my hand against the glass and a chill ran down my. It was freezing, but my hand seemed to be frozen to the glass and the dust slowly crawled to where my hand was pressed to the glass and I could finally see.
I blinked. It was me, yet it wasn't me. I looked... I couldn't tell what it was. But then I took in all the details of my reflection in the mirror. My face was much thinner, my eyes sunken, my hand pressed against the oposite side of the glass almost skeletal.
My reflection was dead. A slight gasped escaped from my lungs that were now constricting. The glass shattered, smarting my palm. I finally was able to pull away as I fell back. The shadow of my reflection crept out of the mirror and loomed over me, coming closer and closer to what must have been a terrified face.
"On the fourteenth strike of midnight..." it weezed, a skeletal hand with five inch nails reaching out to his face, about to touch him as the door slammed open.
*
"Bert, sweetie?" were the first words I heard as I was pulled out of that nightmare. I tasted blood as I peeled my eyes open. My mom, a nice, young looking blonde woman was sitting over me, looking worried.
"Mhh," I sighed sleepily, sitting up and noticing the reason why my mouth tasted like blood. There was a long cut stretching from the base of my thumb up to the base of my pinky on the palm of my hand. It was like... I had really been cut by the shards of glass.
"Are you ok, dear?" she asked, obviously reffering to my hand.
"Yehmfin," I mumbled, my words sounding like muffled yawns.
"Ok. Get up then, time for school," she said and tried to smooth down my hair which some how, she had let me dye black. My seventeen year old instinct made me push her away as I crawled out of bed.
"I'm gonna go... dress..." I said, yawning and stretching as my mother left the room and closed the door behind her.

MAYLAN
"Bye!" called my brother from his over expensive sports car as he drove off, leaving me at the front entrance of her new highschool in a new little town. I hated starting a new year halfway through, especially this time. Before, I'd had my brother Brendon. We weren't exactly best friends, but atleast I knew someone. He'd graduated high school a year ago, but at that school she already kne a few people. Well Maylan, suck it up.
I walked in through the front gates of the school and took one last look at myself in the vague reflection of a window.
My hair, short and neat and as usual, in my face. I was wearing what I thought would be presentable, a dark violet blouse with a black tie, a black pleated skirt, thigh high black and violet striped socks, black and white converse, and a pretty headband with a bow. Presentable enough, no?
I pushed my glasses up from where they had slipped to the bridge of my nose. From m black peace sign tote bag I pulled out my schedule and a map. My home room was room 404... all the way on the other side from where I was standing. I wandered aimlessly, seeing as my impatient brother had dropped me off about a half an hour early. Thanks, dearest brother. At least he'd moved out. I felt like a freshmen in my senior year, heh, I made a funny.
Freshmen year brought memories. Braces, huge round glasses, no sense of fashion, and I was a mega geek nerd combo. Now, I was just slightly geeky... ok, a significant amount.
Before long, I found myself completely lost in all these halls and doors and stairs and floors. Maybe I should ask someone where to go... it'd be a nice chance to make a friend, so I went for it.
And then, I saw the perfect person to ask. He walked awkwardly, looking down, sort of. He seemed like an interesteng specimen, not to mention he was pretty hot. I went for it, ready to ask him where to go.

WILLIAM
I leaned against a tree out in the school's field, waiting for my latest girlfriend to arrive. I William Beckett, possibly the most attractive guy in school, no, not possibly. I was. I didn't deny that, and neither did the thirty something dates I'd had in my senior year alone.
Yeah, I was a whore. But when you're as hot as I am, you don't have to care.
On top of being the hottest guy, well, ever, I was also the most popular guy, since my freshman year. "Bill!" called my best friend, Gabe as he walked up to me. Gabe was hot, not as hot as me of course, he was tall, short black hair that grew up instead of down, slender, and sort of tan, due to his hispanic-ness.
"Gebe!" I said, giving him a nod of approval.
"So, who's the new date?" asked Gabe, winking at me.
"Just some girl, I doubt it's gonna last too long," I said. My new date, she was a twin. Anissa Rodriguez, really tan, long straight black hair, pretty. But just that. I wouldn't last with her.
"It never does, Beckett," said Shaant, another good friend of mine, also someone who would never reach my level of beauty, but he was up there.
"So?" I said, smirking at the shortest boy, who was still freakishly tall. The three of us stood with Gabe at 6"4, me at 6"3, and Shaant at 6"1.
"So Gabe, where's your arm tumor?" asked Shaant. He was reffering to Gabe's girlfriend of three years, Carolyn. One of the things Gabe had that I didn't. Besides the inch, the tan, the hair color, and the dance moves, his girlfriend was the only thing he had that I didn't, and she was the only thing I wanted.
"She's not here yet," said Gabe cooly, running a hand through his poofy hair.
"Did you give her a long night last night?" asked Shaant, grinning.
"Oh yeah, really long," he said, winking.
"What about you, Shaanty? Gotten in anyone's pants lately?" I asked, wanting to stop talking about how Gabe had his crush of the past, just about twelve years.
"Yeah, your mom last night," said Shaant, grinning at us.
"Oh, no wonder," Gabe said just as Carolyn walked up to them, smiling brightly as usual. Her long black hair with random pink streaks was neatly lying on her shoulders, which were covered by a purple hoodie with a bright blue v-neck under and neon yellow skinnies. She was just a whirl wind of color. The jacket was a little big on her, and I noticed it was Gabe's. She leaned up and planted a kiss on Gabe's full, pink lips and I got an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. Anissa walked up behind me, ripping my gaze away from Carolyn and Gabe.
"Hey there," she said. I could tell she was elated that I was with her, that people would see me with her.
"Hey," I said, unenthusiastically and pecked her lips.

CAROLYN
I walked up to where my boyfriend of three years and his friends, my friends, and kissed him. I couldn't help but notice the look William was giving me as I kissed Gabe. It was jealousy mingled with longing that I saw in his eyes. I knew he liked me, wed had a short, one day thing in 6th grade and I knew he still liked me.
I loved Gabe, but I also had feelings for William. He really pissed me off sometimes with how vain and selfish he was and how he just used girls as toys, which is why I was still with Gabe. His date of the hour arrived, a girl in some of my classes. She looked like one of the girls that William would dump I a few days. I felt bad for her, dating the suposed hottest guy in school for only about two days.
"Um, the bell's gonna ring soon... I gotta go," William said, taking his girlfriend's hand and walking away with her, his bookbag hanging off one of his shoulders.
"So, Shaanty, tell me about your love life?" I asked Shaant, he played hard to get.
"still the same," he said.
"You mean you still don't have a boyfriend?" Gabe joked. Shaant wasn't gay, but Gabe joked about it since Shaant never had a girlfriend. Shaant stuck out his tongue and they started to walk to homeroom. The bell wouldn't rong for another 20 minutes, but they liked to get a good seat at the back. I laughed to myself at the fact that crowds parted for us.
Someone ran through the hall, pushing me as he ran to his destination.
"Watch it asshole!" Gabe shouted after the running boy. He asked me if I was ok, and I nodded. He was a bit over protective sometimes. I spotted my best friend, Ellie, walking through the front gates. She wore loose ripped jeans, a black hoodie, a shirt proclaiming either some charity or some clever phrase, and some kind of hightop shoe. Her dark drown and redish pink hair shined in the light as she walked up to me, her headphones were plugged into her ears, most likely at full blast.
"Hey Ellie!" I said cheerfully. She waved absently as she sang under her breath.
"Yo, Ellie, wake up," Shaant said, snapping his fingers at her. She bit the air at him and he bit back as she unplugged one headphone from her ear.
"What?" she said, looking at them.

ELLIE
I looked at my friends, also known as the popular kids.
"I had an interesting dream," I said. I usually had weird dreams, and remembered them.
"Really? And what was it this time?" asked Gabe.
"Shoes where eating my belly button so I beat them with giant grape soda," I said. The bell rang and I shved my iPod into my pocket and trudged through the now busy hall to room 404. The nerd king was in my homeroom, and he sat right next to me. It wasn't that he was ugly, or annoying, or that there was anything wrong with him, but well, as much as I don't like peer pressure, my friends didn't aprove of "nerds" so, I, being part of their clique, didn't talk to him, not one word. There was this other kid in my homeroom, by my clan's critique, he was in the loser catgory, also known as an undesirable that was not to be talked to, but I had a crush on him. His name was Bert, I'm pretty sure. He had long black hair and gorgeous blue eyes. He talked to me accasionally, and he was a pretty nice guy. To tell the truth, I had a crush on him. He walked into homeroom late, as usual. But this time I noticed something out of place. His hand was bandaged, a red blotch staining it's white surface.
I wanted to know what was wrong, but I couldn't be seen talking to him.
Something shocking happened then. He inconspicuously crept up to me and whispered, "Watch out for collapsing rooves."
"What's that suposed to mean?" I asked, but he was gone to his seat on the other side of the room from me. It would be weird if I walked up to him and asked what the hell he meant, so o shrugged off as him being strange and continued to what I was doing before... nothing.

DREW
"Excuse me, um, I'm new here could you tell me where room 404 is?" asked a girl, maybe six inches shorter than me dressed in all violet in black.
"I could, but I don't know what planet you're from. This could be an invasion, you know," I said. Well, that was a conversation starter. I was nerd of all nerds and proud of that fact. The girl looked at me with a kind of look that said, "yeah... he's an odd one."
"I'm from earth..." she said, still eyeing me suspiciously.
"Good, then we're off to 404," I said. That was my homeroom too. I walked the new girl who, it would be a lie to say she wasn't really pretty. So, I said, "milady?" and extended my arm to her. She blushed and giggled softly, but she took my arm and smiled up at me, "yes my lord?" I smiled back. Inside my head, I was doing a freakishly awkward dance that if I did in public I would probably get shot. Drew made a friend! And it's a girl! Yes, sweet victory! I walked her through the winding halls and stairs until we reached 404.
"May I ask for your name?" I asked, trying to not sound awkward around the first pretty girl to ever come up to ME instead of vice versa.
"I'm Maylan, and you are?" she said, extending her hand as if to shake mine.
"I'm Drew," I said, shaking her hand. I noticed how soft her skin was within mine.
"And what planet are you from?" she asked, grinning.
"I'm from Neptune," I said, trying to make her laugh. How was it that I'd known her less than five minutes and already... I liked her, a lot. It wasn't cause she was pretty, she was really pretty, but... she was interesting.
"Oh, and what's it like there?" she asked, giggling.
"Um... it was interesting, I guess," I said, unable to think of what else to say. "Hey um, I know we just met and all but, would you like to go out to dinner sometime? There's a great vegetarian place around..." I said, hoping she'd say yes. She reached into her tote bag with a colorful peace sign on it and pulled out a green pen with what looked like a sea urchin with it's eyes bugging out on top and a piece of paper.
"Here's my number," she said, handing me the piece of paper where she'd written her phone number.
"I'll call you, then," I said, I was elated. I had a date with an extremely attractive girl, one that actually liked me. We walked into homeroom and she sat next to me. Ellie, one of the popular kids, half smiled at us and then continued to laze around. She was one of the less brutal kids.
So, to sum up my encounter with Maylan, it had made my day, week, month, year, life maybe. Point 1 for Drew, 0 to everyone else. Yeah, life, today, was sweet.
Sign up to rate and review this story