Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu-Gi-Oh! > My Best Mate

The Beginning

by SlaveToMyWords 0 reviews

Valon is in love with Mai, what else is new... Or is he? Why does having Jackie mad at him hurt him so much? Maybe it's not about Mai afterall, maybe something from his childhood with Jackie is onl...

Category: Yu-Gi-Oh! - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Valon - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2009-01-24 - Updated: 2009-01-25 - 1256 words - Complete

0Unrated
Jackie was sitting at a table on the mansion patio. Her feet were kicked up and she was laid back in her chair, reading a motorcycle magazine -- while silently laughing at the conversation nearby.
"C'mon Mai, I'm not askin' ya to marry me!"
"Not yet." Mai muttered under her breath. She then sighed irritably and turned ot face the blue-eyed brunette. "Valon, for the last time, the answer is still no! Now go bother someone else!"
"I'm aint botherin' no one."
"Yes you are, you're bothering me!"
"What's Wheeler got that I don't?"
"Hm, lets see." Mai cocked her head to one side and looked up as she listed off things on her fingers.
"Manners, respect, compassion, com-"
"Alright, alright! I get it!"
Valon crossed his arms and huffed.
"I've got respect. And compassion!." He said indignantly.

At a nearby table, someone snorted her amused opinion of that. Valon turned to Jackie with an angry expression.
"What are you snickerin' about?!" He asked angrily.
The girl laughed but didn't look up form her magazine.
"Nothing." She replied as she casually flipped a page in her book.
"Valon, you don't have a compassionate bone in your body. All you care about is yourself! And obviously, Jackie agrees with me." Mai said, pointing to Jackie.
"Hey, leave me out of this!" Jackie said, holding up her hands defensively.
Valon glared at her, then turned back to Mai.
"Well obviously, I care about something or I wouldn't be standing here would I?"
"Yea, too bad you're wasting your breath." Mai said. Again, Jackie snickered. Valon's blood began to boil.
"Fine. If you can name one thing wrong with me, I'll leave you alone. If not, you owe me a date. Go on, name one thing!"
Mai raised an eyebrow. He had just demonstrated a big one.
"You're conceited." She said bluntly. Valon fell over.
"Conceited?! I'm not conceited!"
Mai turned to Jackie.
"Jackie. Is Valon conceited?"
"Yea, come on sheila, tell her I'm not conceited."
Jackie looked up form her magazine at Valon, then to Mai, then back to Valon again.
"Heh. Here it comes. Jackie'll tell Mai I'm not conceited, then she'll have to go on a date with me."
Valon smirked and crossed his arms.
"Well? C'mon, we aint got all day."
Jackie smiled sweetly at him.
"Valon..."
"Yea?"
"You're conceited."
Valon's mouth dropped open and Mai broke out into a fit of hysterical laughter.
Valon's face turned red and he looked back and forth between Jackie, who had returned to her magazine, and Mai who was still laughing hysterically. Finally he gritted his teeth and stormed off the patio.
"Women!" He yelled angrily as he entered the mansion, nearly tearing the doors from their hinges when he did.
Jackie looked at Mai through the corner of her eye and smirked, realizing the blonde was looking back. Mai laughed and winked, then went inside the mansion too.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

After a few hours, the sun began to set. Jackie looked at her watch, then closed her magizine, took her feet down from the table, stood up, and walked inside.
She was heading to her room when someone grabbed her waist from behind and clapped a hand over her mouth. With lightning fast reflexes, she stomped on the person's foot, elbowed them hard in the stomach, then whipped around and took up a fighting stance when they let go.
"What was that for?!"
Jackie relaxed and straightened up when she saw Valon doubled over and holding his stomach.
"Ya know, it's gettin pretty bad if I gotta wear my armor around the mansion!" He told her pointedly.
"It's your own damn fault you idiot!" She said, slightly angry with him. "That's what you get for grabbing me like that! What the hell were you thinking?!"
"I was just playin around." Valon said, straightening up. Jackie rolled her eyes.
"Well you should have known better."
She then turned and walked away but Valon followed her.
"I'm sorry Jackie, I didn't mean to scare you. Can you ever forgive me?"
Jackie sighed.
"What do you want Valon?"
Valon looked shocked.
"What? I'm not allowed to apologise when I've done something wrong?" He asked innocently. Jackie raised an eyebrow at him.
"You're acting all cutesy. You only do that when you want something."
Valon's innocent look turned into a smirk.
"You know me too well." He said. "Alright, I came to ask you for a favour."
Jackie sighed again as she reached the door to her room, opened it, and went in with Valon behind her.
"What is it Valon?"
"Help me get through to Mai."
Jackie rolled her eyes again and pulled some clothes from her dresser.
"Valon, for the last time; you can't make Mai want you. It should be obvious by now that she's not interested in you, you're just not her type."
Valon followed Jackie around the room as she gathered more clothes.
"Then help me be her type."
Jackie shook her head.
"I can't do that Valon, I don't know what she wants. If you really want her that bad, you'll have to find out yourself and change."
Jackie knelt down, layed down her clothes, and searched for her favorite towel in a cabinet.
"But you two are like siamese twins joined at the head! You know everything about each other, you're always together, and you tell each other everything! You gotta know something to help me out."
"Valon, if I did or do, I'm still not telling you. Mai is my best friend, and what she tells me and vise versa, is private and none of your business."
"But what about me?" Valon pouted. Jackie looked at him and raised an eyebrow.
"What about you?"
Valon looked offended.
"Aren't I your friend too?"
Jackie again raised an eyebrow at the brunette.
"Whatever helps you sleep at night sweetheart." She said bluntly.
She then got up and walked to another door in her room with Valon still following her. She opened the door, which was her bathroom, and turned on the water. Valon made to follow her without realizing, due to the fact of still being caught up in the conversation.
"But Ja-"
Jackie's hand on his chest cut him off.
"I bathe alone Valon." She said, half amused and half serious.

Valon finally looked around and realized he was standing in the doorway of Jackie's bathroom. He then smirked.
"Sure you don't want some company?" He asked coolly. Jackie raised an eyebrow and smirked back.
"As temptingas that is, I think I'll pass." She replied. Valon leaned against the door frame and crossed his arms.
"Sure you don't wanna reconsider? Bathtimes always more fun when Valon's your rubber duckie." He said with a wink.
Jackie cracked up laughing and pushed him out the door.
"Get out you loser!"
Valon laughed too and turned to walk away.

Jackie shut the door and listened to Valon's footsteps getting farther away, and when she heard the soft click of her bedroom door, she knew he'd left.
Jackie smiled and leaned her back against the door.
"I hate it when he does that!" She thought with a smile. "If only he knew how tempting it is to not give in sometimes!"
Jackie sighed and her smile turned to a frown.
"But until you stop chasing Mai and start thinking of me as more than your friend, Valon, like I do about about you.. you won't get anything from me!"
Jackie sighed again, then got undressed and climbed into her bath.
Sign up to rate and review this story