Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu-Gi-Oh! > My Best Mate

Just an excuse

by SlaveToMyWords 0 reviews

A Date with Valon? All of a sudden? Why now? Somethings up.

Category: Yu-Gi-Oh! - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Joey Wheeler,Mai Valentine,Valon - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2009-01-24 - Updated: 2009-01-25 - 2796 words - Complete

0Unrated
Jackie got out of the bath and dried herself off. After wrapping a towel around her head, she reached for her clothes. All she got however was air. Jackie looked around the bathroom but didn't see her clothes. Then she remembered where they were.
"Damn." She said to herself. "I left them out by the towel cabinent."
She wrapped a towel around herself before going out to get her clothes. She dropped her towel and bent down to pick up her clothes. Unfortunately it was at this time that someone decided to burst in.
"Jackie!"
Jackie grabbed her towel to quickly cover herself, then yelled at the intruder.
"Excuse you! Don't you know to knock?!"
The brunette before her looked flustered.
"Sorry Shela." Valon blurted automatically, not really sounding like he meant it. "Hurry up and get dressed, I'm taking you out!"
Jackie stood in shock for a minute until what Valon had said finally sunk in, and she had to force a smile back. She felt like she was going to burst with excitement, but she hid it well.
"Fine! But I'm not changing with you standing right there! Get out!"
Valon looked utterly impatient, but he turned to leave anyway.
"Alright... but please hurry!"
Jackie watched as he left her room, shutting the door behind him. Then a huge smile spread across her face.

Jackie quickly got dressed in a short, black ruffled mini skirt, a red boy-beater,and short black strappy, heeled sandals. She left her hair down and curled it, then applied a little make-up -- which she never wore -- and shoved a thick headband in her hair with a few pieces of hair framing her face. Finally, she was finished.

Jackie looked in the mirror one last time, and happy with the result, she left the room and headed downstairs.
When she was in the main lobby, Jackie saw Valon pacing back and forth.
"I'm ready." She informed him as she walked towards him. Valon huffed.
"About ti -!" Valon began, but he stopped when he saw her.
"Wow..." He whispered. Then he smiled and held out his hand. "Alright, lets go."
Jackie smiled back and took Valon's hand, then let him lead her out to the garage and his motorcycle.

"You look nice by the way." Valon said, not looking at her. Jackie thought for a minute that she saw a slight tinge of pink on his cheeks, but she quickly dismissed it as impossible and just offered him another smile instead.
"You don't look so bad yourself." She told him honestly.
He wasn't wearing his armour like usual, now he was wearing a red jacket, white shirt and black jeans. And just like always, he was wearing his goggles on top of his head. That was OK though, because she always thought they looked cute. Jackie looked at him and her smile widened. He looked VERY good, and she found herself resisting the urge to suggest that he wear normal clothes more often.
Jackie and Valon arrived at the garage and went inside. Valon let go of her hand and got on his bike, moving ahead so she could sit behind him. She grabbed her helmet off her bike close by, then got on behind Valon and held onto the seat. Valon surprised her then with what he did next. He reached behind him and took her hands, then wrapped them around his waist and turned to look over his shoulder at her.
"Don't want you fallin' off now we?" He asked with a smirk. Jackie smirked back, then Valon started his bike and sped off.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Valon drove through Domino and looked left and right occasionally as he did.
"Where are they...?" He pondered aloud to himself. Jackie furrowed her eyebrows confusedly.
"Where's who?" She questioned. Valon, not realizing he'd spoken aloud, hurried to answer her.
"Um, the-the restaurants Dartz was talking about." He answered hastily.
Jackie eyed the back of his head suspiciously, but said nothing else.
Soon, Valon spotted what he was looking for.
"Ah-ha! Here it is!"
Valon pulled over and took off his helmet, then hopped off his bike and hurried quickly to the restaurant they were at. Jackie starred at him annoyedly.
"Yea, sure... go on head, I'll catch up." She mumbled sarcastically.
Valon heard her and stopped, then turned around and dashed back to her.
"Oh! Sorry Shela!" He said hurriedly. He took her hand, and when she was off the bike, he hurriedly rushed her inside the building. Jackie laughed.
"What's the rush?" She said with a laugh.
"Oh, uh... I want to get in before it gets too crowded." He replied. Jackie gave him another suspicious look, but again said nothing.
When they were inside, Valon walked up to the little pulpit with a man behind it.
"Name, sir?" The man asked properly.
"Valon." Valon replied, looking around the restaurant. Then man looked at a list, then nodded.
"Yes, right this way sir."
The man lead the two to a table for two by a window, Valon looking around still as they were lead, and Jackie watching him.
"Here you are sir, madam." The man said, handing them both menus.
"Thanks." Valon said hurriedly, continuing to look around.
"Thank you." Jackie added, not taking her eyes from her date. The man bowed and left, and as soon as he was gone, Jackie expressed her thoughts.
"What?" She asked annoyedly. "What's wrong with you? Who are you looking for?"
At this, Valon's head snapped back to Jackie.
"Huh? Oh.. no one, I was just... looking."
Jackie sighed, trying desperately to keep herself calm.
"Whatever. Lets just order." She mumbled annoyedly, picking up her menu and hiding her slightly angry face behind it.
Seconds later, the menu was lowered from her face and she was starring into Valon's entrancing ocean blue eyes.
"I'm sorry." He appologised softly. "I didn't mean to make you mad at me. I promise, for the rest of the night, I'm yours."
Jackie starred at him for a moment, then sighed and gave him a small smile.

The two ordered and talked, but Jackie still noticed Valon looking around everywhere when he thought she wasn't looking. She decided to leave it alone though, because even if his full attention wasn't on her, he had taken her out and was still talking to her -- and that was more than she ever thought she would get.
About halfway into their meal however, Jackie was talking to Valon about something, when suddenly his face lit up and he caught sight of something behind Jackie. Then he pouted and mumbled something to himself. Jackie noticed both and stopped talking.
"What? What's wrong."
"Nothing." Valon said, a little grumpily, looking over her shoulder again. Jackie gave him a confused look.
"What? What are you looking at?"
Valon snapped his gaze back to her again.
"No one! I mean nothing!"
This time Jackie gave him a suspicious look and decided to turn around to see for herself. But before she had a chance however, Valon jumped up, grabbed her face and pressed his lips to hers.
Jackie's eyes widened in shock, but she quickly closed her eyes, wrapped her arms around Valon, and melted into his arms, kissing him back. Her heart was beating a million times a second, and she felt like it was about to burst through her chest. She had waited so long for this moment, and now, finally, she got what she wanted.
But then she noticed something odd. Valon was the one who had pulled her into the kiss, but he wasn't kissing her back. Why? Jackie pulled away and looked at him, and sure enough, he wasn't even paying attention to her. His eyes were open and he was looking past her once again. Jackie chewed the sides of her cheek and glared at him.
"That's it! I wanna know what the hell you're starring at!" She said angrily. Valon, only now realizing that she'd pulled away, gulped and panicked.
"Uh! No, Jackie-"
But it was too late, she had already turned around and saw what- or rather, who -- he had spent the entire night looking for. Sitting just a few tables away were Mai and Joey, talking and laughing happily, and totally oblivious to any and everyone else around them. Including her and Valon.

Jackie felt her heart break in two. Now she realized the whole purpose of her night. Why Valon had suddenly now, out of no where, asked her on a date. He'd wanted to spy on Mai and Joey's date, and she was his excuse to do so. Not becuase he wanted a date with her, just because he needed an excuse to follow them.
Jackie took deep breaths and forced back the tears that were demanding to be set free.
She sat starring at the couple close by, and forced herself with all her might to remain the, tearless, strong, solid wall of nothingness that she always was. Valon placed a hand on her arm.
"Jackie.. I-"
But Jackie ripped her arm from his grip and stood up. She stood there for a few seconds, then forced herself to convert her pain to anger. So, with a false mask of emotion, she turned around to face Valon, and slapped him with all her might, making his head jerk to the side, and leaving a bright red hand print on the side of his face. She then turned on her heels and stormed away without a word.
"Jackie, wait!" Valon pleaded. But she just kept walking.

Jackie left the restaurant with tears of both hurt and embarrassment stinging her eyes. She decided to go a different route in case, by some miracle, Valon decided to follow her. Though she highly doubted it.
"How could I be so stupid?!" She thought angrily. "I knew there was something strange about the way he asked me out. And then for him to pretty much ignore me all night... and why now, after all these years? Why would he chose now to ask me out, when just this morning he was begging Mai for a date... Why the hell didn't I think anything of that?!"
Jackie angrily scrubbed the few tears from her cheeks that had managed to escape and kept walking. She shoved her hands in her jacket pockets and picked up her pace. It was a long way back home, and if she was going to make it before sunrise, she'd better hurry up.

Jackie had been walking for forty-five minutes when she heard something behind her. She groaned as she recognised the distinct sound.
"There you are! I've been looking for you everywhere!"
Jackie set her face into a scowl and picked up her pace without looking at the biker.
Valon looked hurt but he kept riding slowly along side her.
"Jackie please, talk to me!"
Jackie kept walking with her head held high and continued to ignore the man beside her.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you! Please, just talk to me!"
This set her off. Jackie whipped around and glared at Valon through glossy, tear filled eyes.
This sight shocked Valon considerably. He stopped his bike and starred at her with wide eyes. Were those... tears? No! Jackie couldn't be crying! Jackie didn't cry, she didn't know how to cry! She didn't know an emotion like that... in-fact, he was sure she didn't even have emotions. She was just and angry, moody, empty shell. That was the reason he'd taken her out; because he'd figured that, if anything, she'd merely be mad at him, but she'd get over it eventually. After all why should she care? ... But those tears looked pretty real... Was it possible that he had actually hurt her... maybe?
Valon frowned deeply.
"Oh no... What have I done?..."
"Jackie..." He said, reaching out to touch her. Jackie stepped back angrily.
"DON'T touch me!" She screamed savagely. "What the hell did you think would happen Valon?! You took me out on a datejust to spy on your crush! Did you think I wouldn't find out or something? Did you think I wouldn't notice something was up? I'm not a fucking idiot!! Why can't you get it through your thick, conceited head; SHE DOESN'T WANT YOU! She'll never want you! And why the hell would she?! I wouldn't want to be with a selfish, conceited, arrogant bastard like you either!"
Jackie whipped around and stormed off again, and at this point, her eyes were blurred with tears and she blinked furiously to push them back. But that only managed to make them spill down her cheeks. She growled angrily and scrubbed them from her face. Valon didn't say anything else and she didn't hear his footsteps so Jackie figured she'd made her point and he was more than willing to leave her alone. Of course, that wasn't the case.

Jackie was stopped and turned around by the shoulders, and once again, she was face to face with the blue-eyed-brunette.
"Jackie, I'm sorry! I shouldn't have done what I did! Please forgive me! I don't know if you meant all those things or not, but right now, I'd probably agree that I deserve it. I know Mai doesn't like me, but I can't help it, I really like her. I can take her rejections because I think that someday she'll realize she likes me too... but I can't take you being mad at me, so please forgive me... I really am sorry!"
Valon pulled Jackie into a hug and hugged her tight. She felt more tears slip down her cheeks and she lifted her arms to hug him back. Then the scene from the restaurant flashed before her eyes and she angrily pushed him away instead.
"I said don't touch me." She said coldly. Valon looked more hurt then when she'd slapped him, but he nodded and looked down. Jackie then turned around and began to walk away again.
"Leave me alone Valon, I have nothing else to say to you."
She had only gone a few feet when Valon stopped her again.
"At least let me bring you home... It's a long way and it's getting cold..."
Jackie debated this for a moment, ready to say no, when a harsh wind blew by and sent bitter cold shivers down her spine. She glanced up at the black sky with a glare.
"Thanks a lot!" She thought angrily. Then she sighed.
"Fine. Bring me right home and don't stop until you get there!" She said angrily, turning around and walking back to Valon's bike. Valon sighed miserably and nodded, then walked back to his bike as well.

Jackie got back on the bike with Valon and put her helmet on, then held onto the seat.
"You should hold onto me..." Valon said quietly. "I don't want you to fall off.."
Jackie scowled at him.
"I'll be fine." She said through clenched teeth. Valon frowned deeply, then turned around, started his bike and took off for home.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

As soon as Valon pulled into the garage, Jackie jumped off and took off her helmet.
"Jackie please, wait a minute...!" Valon begged sadly. Jackie tossed her helmet by her bike, then flipped him off over her shoulder as she walked away.
"Please
Jackie...! Your friendship means so much to me..." Valon pleaded, sounding genuinely miserable.
Jackie stopped but didn't turn around. She was silent for a moment and Valon starred at her hopefully. Finally she spoke again.
"You forfeited our friendship when you decided to use me."
With that said, Jackie walked through the door connecting to the mansion and disappeared.

Valon starred after Jackie sadly and cursed colorfully when she was gone. He turned and kicked the garage door with all his might, then rested his head against it and sighed heavily.
"Valon, you idiot...!" He mumbled unhappily. Then he turned and disappeared into the mansion as well.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jackie reached her room and got dressed for bed, trying desperately not to think about her night.
When she was done changing and was sitting on her bed, she reached out to turn off her lamp, but something caught her eye. Right next to the lamp was a picture of her and Mai with Valon's head between them, trying to be in the picture. He had the most incredibly stupid look on his face that usually made her laugh. But tonight. Tonight she didn't want to see it.
Jackie placed her hand on the frame and starred at it for a few seconds, then placed the picture face down and turned off her lamp before settling in. Forcing herself not to cry anymore, Jackie fell asleep feeling worse than she could ever remember.
Sign up to rate and review this story