Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu-Gi-Oh! > My Best Mate

Comfort And Confusion

by SlaveToMyWords 0 reviews

Valon is beginning to wonder about Jackie and how he might really feel about her...

Category: Yu-Gi-Oh! - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Valon - Published: 2009-01-24 - Updated: 2009-01-25 - 3054 words - Complete

0Unrated
Valon starred at Jackie with the most horrified look imaginable.
"Oh Jackie..." He said sympathetically. "That's... that's horrible!! You went through something far worse than either of us did!"
Jackie shook her head.
"No. The things that happened to all of you were just as horrible to you as my past was to me. There's no such thing as one being worse than another."

Valon frowned deeply, then seemed to be struggling with something. Eventually he seemed to finally make up his mind and just out and say it.
"Um... Jackie... please feel free to tell me to sod off and that it's none of my business... but... what about your sister...?"
Valon felt like scum for asking, and upon seeing Jackie's face, he lowered his rank to worse than scum, to lower than the worst possible thing on earth.
"I'm sorry!" He spat guiltily. "Don't answer that! It really is none of my business!"
Jackie smiled in spite of herself. Valon was being so over-dramatic. It was totally un-characteristic of him.
"Valon, it's alright." She said soothingly. Then she frowned again.
"She... she was killed a few weeks before my parents. They told me she had simply disappeared, but Dartz later did some research and found out that the same people who had killed my parents, killed her too. It had been more of a warning towards them, like telling them what was coming for not throwing the match like they were told to."
Jackie's frown deepened.
"If they had thrown the match..." Jackie mused quietly. "...they never would have... If my father didn't want so bad not to disappoint me... they might... sometimes I can't help but think-"
"Don't." Valon said firmly, cutting her off. "Don't you dare. I know what you're going to say and don't you dare even think it! Do you think you sister and parents would want you here living on regretting something you couldn't control? Do you think they'd want you blaming yourself for something that was absolutely, in no way or form, possibly your fault?"

Jackie starred at the ground for a minute, then slowly shook her head.
"Exactly." Valon said. "The only ones to blame are those bastards who took their lives."
Jackie nodded.
"You're right, I know... but still, it's just something I can't help but think about sometimes you know..."
Valon frowned and nodded.
"I know.." He said softly. "Believe me I know... I can't help but blame myself sometimes either."
Jackie looked up at him for a minute, then looked back down again.
"I know you do. That's why I felt like I could talk to you about this... It's been so long..."
Jackie's eyes suddenly flooded with tears, and before she could dismiss them, they escaped their confines and ran down her cheeks.

Like a reflex, Valon automatically reached out and wrapped his arms around Jackie, surprising himself more than her. Why? Why did he do that? It was then that he realized that his heart was ripping a little more with each tear that streamed down Jackie's beautiful face. Why? He just couldn't understand it. He could easily give her shoulders a quick squeeze and push her away, taking that to be his simple form of comfort -- and for him, that would be a lot -- but he couldn't seem to push the girl away. No, instead, he pulled her closer to him and rested his head against hers.

Jackie wrapped her arms around Valon and laid her head against his chest, keeping back her sobs, but she couldn't manage to keep back all of her tears.
"I'm so sorry Jackie..." Valon whispered sadly. "No matter what I say, I always upset you..."
Valon nuzzled into Valon's chest and hugged him tighter.
"That's not true." She said thickly. "That's not true at all, and don't you dare think that."
Valon's frown deepened.
"Sure seems that way." He countered.
"Well it's not." Jackie said simply. Valon said nothing else but he still wasn't convinced.

After a while, Jackie's tears finally stopped, but she still let Valon hold her. She felt safe and secure in his arms, like there wasn't a trouble in the world and that everything was just as it should be -- like she was right where she should be.
Eventually Valon placed a small, whisper of a kiss on the top of Jackie's head and pulled away a little to look down at her.
"I promise, no matter what and no matter what it takes, I'll help you find those bastards."
Jackie felt her heart soar and she gave Valon a very grateful smile.
"Thank you, Valon." She said softly. "Really, thank you."
Valon felt all the pieces of his heart mend themselves like they'd never been broken. Jackie was happy again. He didn't know why that was so important to him, but he knew it was.

Valon smiled back at Jackie and reached up to wipe her tears away.
"Sure. And I mean it. Whatever it takes."
Jackie smiled wide and her eyes seemed to have a slight sparkle to them. Valon frowned.
"Oh no..."
Jackie's smile dropped into a worried frown.
"What?" She asked in concern. "What's wrong?"
"I don't know..." Valon replied. "But it must be something, cause... you were actually smiling!"
Jackie had to bite back a laugh at the brunette. Instead she crossed her arms and gave him a very convincing pout.
Valon, believing her entirely, reached out and began tickling her.
"Oh come on! I was just joking you old sourpuss!"
Jackie fell back and squealed with laughter as she tried desperately to pry Valon's torturous hands away from her.
"I know, I know! I was just playing!" She squealed through her laughter.
Valon laughed and stopped tickling her and simply starred down at her with a smile.
"You know, I like you better when you smile. You're much prettier."
Jackie starred up at Valon in shock for a moment until she finally shook herself from her trance.
"Um... Thanks..."
Valon smiled again and rolled over to lean on an elbow.
"No problem." He replied. He then looked up at the stars.
"I didn't know you were so fun Jackie." He said absently.
"Well, you never really bothered to take the time to find out." Jackie replied.
Valon looked back at her and smiled again.
"I know. I wish I did though."
After a moments pause, Valon spoke again.
"I'm really glad you decided to let me take you out tonight Jackie. And I'm happy you had a good time... or at least, it seems like you did."
Jackie was once again shocked but she recovered much faster this time.
"I'm glad I accepted too. And yea, I did have a good time. Thank you."
Jackie flashed Valon her best smile and he simply nodded and smiled back.

Valon's smile faded as he starred into Jackie's eyes. His gaze was so piercing she was sure he was looking right into her soul. Jackie swallowed hard and did her best to hold Valon's gaze. His stare was making her incredibly uncomfortable and she felt herself melting under it.
Eventually Valon's smile returned.
"You're really beautiful Jackie." He whispered, almost to himself. "I... never really noticed just how much before until now."
Jackie was speechless. Had she really just heard what she thought she had? Jackie swallowed hard and opened her mouth to speak, but Valon's stare once again left her unable to say or do anything.

Valon rolled back over until he was once again hovering over Jackie. He starred at her for a moment, then slowly moved downwards.
Jackie starred up at Valon in total shock. He was going to kiss her! Her eyes widened slightly as his face drew closer to hers, and her heart felt like it was going to burst right through her chest. She couldn't move. Not to pull away, not to say anything ... not even to move up and meet him.
Jackie layed paralyzed and waited for Valon's kiss. His real kiss. The one thing she had dreamt about and craved for as long as she'd known him. Finally.
When Valon's face was mere inches from hers, Jackie closed her eyes. Waiting. She could feel his hot breath dance across her cheeks and a small shiver ran down her spine.
Suddenly Jackie's eyes opened with a start. Valon was no longer hovering over her, his arms were now wrapped around her in a tight hug.
Jackie furrowed her brows in confusion and awquardly wrapped her arms around him to hug him back.
"I'm glad we're friends." He said softly.
Jackie felt her heart shatter.
Valon pulled away and starred down at her with a smile. She starred at him for a moment, then put all her strength and willpower into forcing a smile.
"Me too..." She whispered softly.
Jackie felt as if Valon had reached right through her and squeezed her heart to death with his bare hands. She turned her head away from him and starred at a random spot in the sand.
"We should go... it's getting late."
Valon frowned.
"What? So what? It's not like we got a curfew or something."
Jackie forced her breathing to remain even and her face to seem calm. But inside, her emotions were in utter turmoil.
"I know... but I think we've had enough fun for one day. There's such thing as too much of a good thing." She replied. The statement was true on more levels than one.
Valon's frown deepened and he starred at Jackie for a minute, then stood up, brushed himself off and offered her his hand.
Jackie took Valon's outstretched hand allowed him to help her up.
"Alright, whatever you want." He replied. He didn't bother to hide the fact that he was disappointed, and Jackie didn't bother to try and figure out why.
The two picked up their garbage and threw it in a garbage can near the edge of the beach, then got on Valon's bike and sped off for home.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Valon clicked a button on his keyring to open the garage door, then drove his bike inside when it did. He stopped inside and closed the door again, then got off his bike, put his helmet away and turned to Jackie.
"Here, let me help." He offered with a smile, taking a huge armful of the prizes and stuffies.
Jackie laughed at the overflowing things in his arms.
"You don't have to, I can manage."
Valon gave her an odd look over top of the mountain of things he was carrying.
"Yea, right." He replied with a laugh. Jackie laughed again and took the other things that were left, then followed Valon out of the garage.

Jackie and Valon made small talk as they walked to her room. Or rather, Jackie talked. Valon was busy trying to concentrate on not dropping anything.
When they reached Jackie's room, she opened the door, dumped all the prizes onto a chair just inside, turned around to relieve Valon of his load and then turned back to face him again with a smile.
"Thank you Valon. That was the most fun I've had since I was a little girl."
Valon smiled wide.
"You're welcome Sheila. I had fun too."
Valon then cocked his head to one side and gave Jackie an innocent look.
"So... am I forgiven?"
Jackie laughed, unable to do otherwise while looking into his adorable face.
"Yea. You're forgiven."
Valon beamed brightly.
"Good!" He replied with a laugh. He then took Jackie's hand and pressed it gently to his lips.
"Goodnight Jackie." He said softly.
Jackie's heart once again soared and again, she found herself utterly speechless. She smiled at Valon and gave him a simple nod.

Valon smiled back and turned to walk away. He was a few feet away before Jackie found her voice again. She took a deep breath, then called after him. Valon turned back to face her with a smile.
"Yea?"
Jackie hesitated a minute, then bounded up to him and gave him a lingering kiss on the cheek.
"Goodnight." She whispered. And before Valon could move or reply, she turned and disappeared into her room.

Valon lifted his hand to the cheek Jackie had kissed and starred at her closed door with wide eyes.
She'd kissed him... she'd actually kissed him. Well, technically not a real kiss, but it was still a kiss.
Valon swallowed hard and finally turned away again, letting his hand fall limply back to his side as he headed towards his own room. His entire body was tense and his heart was racing hard enough to give him a heart-attack.
"What is wrong with me?!" He growled inside his head. "It was just a kiss on the cheek!!"
Valon finally got to his room and opened the door. He walked in and closed it behind him, then leaned against it. He let out a heavy sigh and turned his head to the side, catching a glimpse of himself then in his mirror. Valon's mouth dropped open and he turned and walked over to the mirror and stood in front of it. Starring at his reflection, he noted the bright red flush across his cheeks.

Valon backed away from the mirror in shock and nearly tripped over his dueling disk which had been carelessly left on the floor. Valon steadied himself, then shook his head, utterly perplexed by his reflection.
"Why am I blushing??"He voiced out loud. After trying for a few minutes to calm the storm inside his head, Valon took off his jacket and pulled his shirt over his head.
"It's too hot." He reasoned to himself. "Yea, that's it... I'm just hot, that's all. It's the weather."
Valon nodded, happy with this answer, then proceeded to get undressed. He walked over to his bed and sat on it, then pulled off his boots and pants until he was down to his boxers. Rolling back his sheets, he crawled in under them and reached for a remote beside his bed. He pressed one of the buttons, then laid back on his pillow and put his hands behind his head as a fan above him started up.
Valon closed his eyes as he enjoyed the feel of the cool breeze on his face. Doing so however brought back thoughts from previously that night.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jackie flashed Valon a gorgeous smile and he thought his heart was going to beat out of his chest.
"She's georgeous... why didn't I notice that before...?"
As he starred at her, Valon couldn't stop the words from spilling from his mouth.
"You're really beautiful Jackie. I... never really noticed just how much before until now."
Jackie looked absolutely stunned. Why shouldn't she? The comment had surprised himself just as much as it had her. He rolled over again so he was once again looking down at Jackie. She was so damned beautiful. Why hadn't he ever realized it before?

Valon swallowed hard as two words tugged insistently at his heart and mind.
"Kiss her. Kiss her!"
And before he knew what was happening, Valon's face dipped down to meet Jackie's. His heart was threatening to strangle him and it was now becomming a great effort just to breathe. Why was he feeling this way? He didn't understand. But whatever the reason, he was feeling it. And he knew he couldn't pull away even if he wanted to.

Watching Jackie's face carefully, Valon moved slowly and hesitantly downward. She seemed to be frozen in shock and suddenly a look of realization crossed her face as she no doubt realized what he was going to do. Her eyes widened and her body tensed. After a few seconds, she closed her eyes.
Valon frowned deeply. She was repulsed. Disgusted. She didn't want him to kiss her.
He took in a sharp intake of breath as he felt his heart suddenly stop beating. Why did that tought hurt him so much? Was it because he had never been turned down before? -- Well, aside from Mai. Was it because he had expected Jackie to melt into him? Or was it because of something else? In any case, it hurt.

Valon chewed his cheek for a second, then pushed aside all unwanted thoughts feelings and wrapped his arms around Jackie instead. After a hesitant pause, Jackie hugged him back.
"I'm glad we're friends."
Forcing out those words felt like coughing up nails. They ripped Valon apart in more ways then one and he couldn't for the life of him understand why.
He pulled away and put all his strength and willpower into forcing a small smile. Jackie starred at him for a moment, the smiled back.
"Me too..." She replied in an equally soft tone.
Valon felt a sharp tug at his heart. He had almost wished she would have disagreed with him, that she would have suddenly broke down and blurted some sort of undying love for him. But he knew it was unrealistic. After all, she hadn't even wanted him to kiss her, why would she suddenly blurt out deep feelings like that. It was simply unrealistic.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Valon sighed deeply. His frustration only grew the more he thought of Jackie and his day with her. It didn't make sense. All these childish feelings and such, he was acting like a love-sick school boy! Mai already held his heart... didn't she?
He shook his head wildly. Of course she did! He was in love with Mai! And there wasn't any room for anyone else.
Just then, Valon felt a cold chill rush through his entire body. Looking up at his fan, he sighed again in great frustration. He wasn't hot, he never was. The hot flush that had appeared on his cheeks was caused by Jackie's kiss. He couldn't deny it; Jackie's kiss had actually made him blush.

Valon growled to himself and reached out to once again pick up the remote by his bed and turn off the fan over his head.
With an angry sigh, Valon turned on his side and glared at the wall. It might take a while, but he was determined to force himself to sleep. He'd be damned if he was going to let thoughts of a girl keep him awake all night.
Sign up to rate and review this story