Categories > Anime/Manga > Death Note > Death Note: A New Era

Close

by Shank 0 reviews

The end is almost near...but for who?

Category: Death Note - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Characters: Yagami Raito,Yagami Soichiro - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2009-02-10 - Updated: 2009-02-10 - 2357 words - Complete

0Unrated
They were working back late at the office and Soichiro’s phone had rang. Everyone looked up and watched him walk out of the room to talk on his phone. He had never done this before, talking in private keeping everyone out of the loop. Matsuda whispered to Light, “Do you think it is Ryuji or someone else?” he asked not really wanting to hear anything ill of his superior. No one answered, but Light knew it was. For his dad to walk out of the room without even giving them any kind of communication, it was him alright. Ryuji had managed to get his dad onside somehow and even if his dad wasn’t directly helping him, he was giving him leads. It was then Light considered the possibility of having to kill his dad if need be as he wasn’t going to wreck his destiny.

The television was on but the sound was off, but something on it caught their attention and made them turn the sound back on. It was a news report about a vicious murder that had happened during the day. It seemed like a man had come into somebody’s house and slaughtered the resident. The particularly gruesome fact was that the person had written in their victim’s blood all across the wall, ‘this will soon be Kira…Ryuji.’ Matsuda stood up in disgust, “This is the man we have been unsure we could trust.” Light was watching and wanted to go outside and tell his dad to come and watch but assumed they were already talking about it on the phone to each other. The murderer’s identity is unknown so there is no way for Kira to be able to pass judgement on them. They waited quietly until Soichiro came back into the room.

When his dad came back in, he noticed they were watching the news. “I was talking to Ryuji; he told me it wasn’t him that did it.” All of the unit were thinking it, but it was only Light who was fed up enough to say something, “This has gone on long enough. You have been keeping his identity secret from everybody and now you are not only aiding a fugitive, but a cold blooded killer. It shouldn’t matter what history you have with him and how much he can help on the Kira case. If he is dangerous to the public, we must do something.”
“Ryuji said that it must have been Kira. Even L deduced that Kira could control people before he killed them, so how do we know that he hasn’t done it now?” Nobody knew how to answer this. Until once again the television interrupted them. It seemed there had been another murder through the night and once more with a message. Soichiro as an officer of the people couldn’t deny it any longer, “OK! We will focus on getting Ryuji in. At least if he is in here with us he cannot be out there. Light, what should we do from here?” Light being asked so directly couldn’t say for him to release his information as it would be too obvious. “What has the nature of the calls been the last couple of times?”
“He seems a little more desperate now and paranoid that we are going to find and kill him. He believes Kira has infiltrated L’s unit.”
“So did L?” said Matsuda and everybody looked at Light out of the corner of their eye. Although Light couldn’t believe he was back in this situation with Ryuji and the paranoia of his unit once again not trusting him, this information was very helpful and he had finally got his dad talking.

Soichiro’s phone rang. This time he answered it in front of everyone, “Ryuji? How should I trust you? I cant let this go any longer even if you say it wasn’t you, I am afraid I am going to have to bring you down.” The conversation ended and he hung up the phone, looking a little upset. Light turned around to get some thinking done and noticed something on the table. It was the phone that Ryuji had given them to make sure he couldn’t be traced. He looked back at his dad and noticed it was his phone that Ryuji had rung. “Dad, he has slipped up. He must be getting desperate as he rang your phone instead of this one. He either trusts you enough to ring you or forgot about the untraceable phone he gave us-we can trace the call.” A newfound enthusiasm swept through everyone and they rushed over to the computer where Light began pushing and clicking buttons.

They traced the call to a location and as Light had already suspected, it was at a location far from the parts of town they had already been. It was in the lower part of town amongst the markets and shops, “We should go now, we do not have any time to waste or wait for anybody,” said Soichiro. They all walked out, Soichiro, Matsuda and Light to their own car whilst Aizawa was running a little behind and would be taking his own car.

As they drove to the location, Light was looking at his phone. He was pretty confident things were ending tonight and he would finally catch Ryuji. He had been able to know that Ryuji would be striking soon and using his relationship with his dad to turn him against the whole team. So Light knew he needed to put the pressure on his dad and by using the death note to make bad people kill other bad people and make it look like Ryuji did it was the best way of doing it. Even though everyone knew Kira could control people before he killed them, he was appealing to his dad’s sense of justice. There was no way he could let it continue without knowing for sure otherwise all the victims were his fault if he didn’t bring him in. Soon enough, they got to the location where the call had been traced from. So when he controlled a murderer to sneak into the house of an uncharged rapist and murder him while he slept before writing a message on the wall, it was indeed part of Light’s plan. Light had to hide how calm he was even though they were in a rather tense situation right now driving through the streets of Tokyo looking for a fugitive killer.



At another location in Tokyo, a man with long very dark hair was walking down a dark street. There wasn’t much open at this time, but he was looking for a place in particular. He came to a stop outside a backpackers’ hostel and smiled as he had found what he was looking for. He looked around and saw that nobody was in sight and scoped the place out. He could have quite easily walked inside to find what he was looking for but that would have been too obvious. After a few minutes of thinking, this guy seemed to have come up with a solution. The dark headed man reached into his pocket and got out his mobile phone and dialled in the emergency number. “Yes I need the police right away…the backpackers’ hostel in the north east side of town I saw a man go in with a gun, I think there are people being kept hostage in there.” He hung up the phone and now just needed a good place to wait-wait for his plan to play out.

Soon enough the police came flooding down the streets and circled the perimeter. Tourists in the hostel began poking their heads out the windows and doors to get a look at what was going on. The police made sure of the situation before storming in and clearing it out. Every single person was escorted out by the police and they soon saw there was no man with a gun in the building. Things were going to Mikami Teru’s plan. All he needed was to wait with the Shinigami eyes he had received off Ryuk and would take down any Japanese tourist that was bought out from the building and knowing one of them was Ryuji. The police had bought everyone out by now, but from the looks of things-they were all American and British. There were no Asian or Japanese looking people and Mikami saw nothing out of the ordinary. He looked at them all and seeing all their names seeing no Japanese descendant names either and he was so distracted he didn’t see the police officer coming up from behind him. “Excuse me sir, did you see what was going on here?”
“No,” Mikami said. “I was walking passed when the police got here, what was going on?”
“Someone lied to us by the phone,” said the officer and walked away.

Mikami waited for the coast to be clear and then went into the backpackers’ hostel to see if anyone was hiding. He went through as many rooms as possible before the tourists were allowed to come back into the building and he found nothing, There was no evidence that even pointed to Ryuji even being here even though he had been given the orders by Kira to be here. Then he felt kind of funny for a second, he didn’t know what it was but he reached into his jacket and bought out the death note he had received from Kira. He walked out the door, across the street to a parked car sitting in the dark. The window was already down for him and he handed the notebook in through the window to a person waiting there for it. He watched as the person drove away with the note book and couldn’t help but feel sad he was parting ways with it. He then felt a pain in his chest. It hurt a lot, and he could no longer breathe. He clutched his chest; he tried to call out for help but couldn’t get the air to say anything. Kira…why? He dropped to the ground, where he would die from a heart attack.

A car was leaving behind Mikami Teru with the note book. The driver…Amane Misa was driving the car. She had managed to slip Mogi a sedative and sneak out when he was asleep. She had been given a job to do with her Shinigami eyes and was like the clean up crew in Light’s plan. All she needed to do was wait until Mikami found Ryuji and killed him before manipulating him to come outside and give her the notebook and kill him where he stood. He was useless as he hadn’t even been able to get his job done properly and please Light. She wanted to send Light a message to tell him how it went but she knew she couldn’t risk it at this time. She just had to keep driving and get home before Mogi woke up, which wouldn’t be for some time.



Light sat in the car still with his dad and Matsuda wondering how his plan was going. He knew nothing was going to happen here and he knew Ryuji wasn’t where he was right now. The perfect part of his plan was that he hoped he would catch Ryuji tonight while having the perfect alibi of being with his team. Light had figured out to trace the call Ryuji had left earlier that night, which led them to this location-but it was different to the one he had already done in secret. Light had already checked the trace on the call Ryuji had given when talking to his dad a previous time and he had got a location, which checked out a couple of times. Light had predicted that Ryuji wanted Light to go to the proper location, rather than the fake one-hoping to trick him into how much he knew about Ryuji. But now, Light had gone to the fake location, pretending he thought it was the real one and therefore his dad couldn’t even doubt his innocence now. He had relinquished his death note to Mikami Teru who he hoped would be able to bring down Ryuji and it would be Misa that would get rid of Mikami and the death note he had given to him.

Light soon found out how his plan had gone that night. He wasn’t very happy about it, but there was nothing Misa could do-she had done her part fine being able to kill Mikami and reclaim his death note. There had been nobody Japanese that were staying at the hostel, which meant the only people to exit the building that were Japanese were the police that were called onto the scene. This meant that this guy had a police uniform, which he had already suspected and Mikami unknowingly gave him his escape plan. Misa also remembered a policeman go and speak to Mikami but couldn’t see his face as he was standing in the dark and therefore couldn’t see his name. Ryuji had once again been able to escape by luck and now Light had the proof that he was an officer.

Ryuji sat in quiet. His stomach feeling like it was going to leap out his mouth with how nervous he was for tomorrow. He had decided, he had the evidence now and it was time for reckoning. Tomorrow was the day where he would play out the final plans and it would be Ryuji vs. Kira. The winner being able to control justice for the new era whilst the other would be killed in defeat. He clutched the leather mask in his hands, staring at the deep scratch marks in the cheek. The empty eye holes in it looking into his soul, “Tomorrow, everything will be fixed-for both of you-the lights of my life.”
Sign up to rate and review this story