Categories > Games > Sonic the Hedgehog > Ultimate Life Forms

Knowing the danger

by Magnatron 0 reviews

dito

Category: Sonic the Hedgehog - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Amy Rose, Dr. Robotnik, Knuckles, Miles "Tails" Prower, Rouge, Shadow, Sonic - Published: 2006-03-26 - Updated: 2006-03-26 - 3119 words

0Unrated
Chapter 3 Knowing the danger

Shadow looked behind him. Sonic had fallen back to about fifteen feet, but he was still following Shadow like, well like a shadow. But that was about to change.

Sonic and Shadow's amazing speed had enabled them to reach Station Square in practically no time at all. However it had only taken Shadow that long to come up with a plan.

Shadow could see the train station up ahead, rapidly getting larger. The train was parked, so that it blocked the way into the station, but that wasn't going to stop Shadow.

Shadow jumped in the air, and spin attacked one of the train's windows, going right through it. Shadow slowed down, turned right, and went threw a second window. Racing down the stairs of the train station, Shadow turned to check on his pursuer's progress.

Sonic hadn't slowed down immediately after entering the train, and instead of breaking another window, was backtracking to the second window Shadow had smashed through.

Shadow smiled, Sonic had given him just enough time to execute his plan. Shadow skated out the emergency exit, closed the door behind him, and then put all his weight against it.

...............................................................................................................................................................................

Sonic jumped threw the second window that Shadow had smashed, and stopped to look for the black hedgehog. Shadow was skating for the emergency exit, so fast that he was a black blur.

Sonic matched his opponent's speed, and went after him.

Shadow got threw the emergency exit, and closed door behind him, so fast that he didn't set off the alarm on the door.

Sonic attempted to duplicate his opponent's exit, but when he reached the door it refused to open. Sonic was going to fast to stop, and he crashed right through the door.

Sonic's face hit the sidewalk, and he braced himself for a blow from Shadow but no such blow came.

Sonic jumped to his feet just in time to see Shadow skate into an alley.

Sonic smiled. The alley that Shadow had entered had only one turn, and ended at a wall.

Sonic ran after Shadow cautiously, which was still faster than any human could ever hope to be.

Sonic made it threw the first part of the alley without seeing Shadow, but he expected the black hedgehog to jump at him the moment he turned the corner.

Sonic turned the corner, and came face to face with... a wall.

Sonic ran back to the entrance to the alley, but he didn't see Shadow anywhere. Sonic scratched his head, looking one way, and then another. Had Shadow done his disappearing act again?

Suddenly a voice rang out. "Sonic!" The voice belonged to the only person who could make Sonic afraid, and that person was Amy Rose.

Sonic cringed as he turned around to see her. He could have easily run away. She was only about as fast as Tails, and wouldn't be able to keep up. But if Sonic knew Amy then he knew that she would try to jump at him, to give him one of her crushing bear hugs, and if he wasn't there when she jumped she would fall, and hit the sidewalk. And Sonic was too much of a gentleman to let a girl fall.

...............................................................................................................................................................................
Amy was wandering around Station Square trying to find something to do. She had maxed out all of her credit cards, her friend Cream was on vacation with her mother, and the last few times that she had gone to Sonic's house he hadn't been there. Although she suspected that he actually had been there the last time, and had just run off when her back was turned.

"Hmm, nothing to do," She thought to herself, as she turned back towards her apartment.

Then something caught her eye. She turned to see what it was, hoping beyond hope that it would be her hero Sonic. It was. He was standing at the end of an alley, and he was looking for something.

Hope began to arise within her. Maybe he was looking for her, maybe he wanted to take her on a date, and maybe, just maybe he was ready to accept her as his girlfriend.

She broke into a dead run, straight for Sonic. He didn't notice her, so she called his name. "Sonic!"

Sonic turned around just as she reached him, and threw her arms around him.

"Amy I can't breathe," Sonic wheezed out.

"Oh sorry," she said, letting him go, and blushing a little. "What are you doing here?" she asked, with a smile that could rival Sonic's famous grin.

"I was..."

Suddenly Sonic was interrupted by the sound of screeching tires. She turned, and saw the five hum-vees coming at her, and Sonic from several different directions. A helicopter flew over their heads, and started to land in front of them.

"What's going on here?" Sonic asked, in bewilderment. She didn't have the slightest idea, so she just stood where she was, and stared.

The hum-vees pulled up, just as the helicopter finished landing. Men, wearing the official G.U.N. uniform got out of each jeep, and pointed their weapons at Sonic.

She was horrified, so horrified that she couldn't speak. What did they think they were doing?

A man, that looked to be about thirty-five, stepped out of the chopper, flanked by four guards, two on each side. She assumed that he was the one in charge.

"Sonic the Hedgehog," the man said, as the four guards surrounded Sonic.

"Yes?" Sonic asked, trying to watch every potential threat at once.

"You are under arrest," The man said, as the four guards surrounding Sonic grabbed him, handcuffed his arms, and more importantly, his legs.

She was shocked, too shocked to move, but Sonic wasn't. As the guards picked him up, and carried him to the chopper, he turned to the man that she had assumed was in charge, and shouted. "What for?"

"For robbery of the Chaos Emerald at the Shinslow Museum," He answered.

"What?!" both Amy and Sonic yelled at the same time. But it was too late, the guards carrying Sonic reached the chopper, and it took off.

She just stood there; numb from what had just happened. But she recovered. Whatever had happened was probably just a big misunderstanding, and it was up to her to make it right.

She walked up to the man, who she had assumed was in charge, he hadn't gotten back in the chopper, and said. "Sir there's been some sort of..." She stopped mid sentence, when he turned, and looked at her.

His eyes were cold, and cruel. She felt afraid.

He opened his mouth to speak, but before he could one of the men from the hum-vees, pushed Amy aside, and started to talk to him.
"Colonel, the search party just reported in, and there is no sign of Project A."

"Lieutenant," the Colonel interrupted. "Do not! Discuss top secret military matters in front of civilians."
"Sir?" the Lieutenant asked.

"Escort her from the premises," the Colonel practically growled.

"Yes Sir. You come with me," the Lieutenant said taking her arm.

"No wait I need to talk to him," she said, gesturing to the Colonel.

"Colonel Schmit has more important things to do right now," the Lieutenant said, as he escorted her out of the ring of hum-vees.

As soon as they were a respectable distance the Lieutenant went back to give Colonel Schmit his report.

She just stood there staring for a few seconds. She didn't understand. How could this have happened? She didn't know, but she did know that Sonic was counting on her. She racked her brain for an idea, and finally one came to her.

She whipped out her cell phone and hit the speed dial button for Tails house. But no one answered. Amy sighed, and hung up after the fifteenth ring, or so.

The train in Station Square wasn't leaving for Mystic Ruins again until tomorrow. She had until then to try to think of another idea.

...............................................................................................................................................................................

Shadow had tried to hold his breath, but he had been forced to stay right where he was for too long, then he had tried taking small breaths, but it was hot, and stuffy, and if he didn't start breathing normally soon he would pass out.

Shadow took a slow deep breath, and almost choked on it. He didn't know what was in the dumpster that he was hiding in, and he didn't want to find out.

Shadow cursed his dumb luck. Not only had Sonic bumped into a friend, and start talking, instead of leaving, but he could make out the sound of a chopper landing out there, which was probably, Colonel Schmit looking for him.

Shadow strained to listen to what was happening, and wondered if he should abandon hiding, and go back to running for it.

The first voice that Shadow heard was definitely, his old friend Colonel Schmit. "Sonic the Hedgehog."
"Yes?" He heard Sonic ask.

The next thing that Shadow heard Schmit say surprised him. "You are under arrest." "Why are they arresting Sonic?" Shadow wondered.

"What for?" Sonic asked.

"For robbery of the chaos emerald, at the Shinslow Museum." Schmit answered.

Shadow stopped listening, and tried to make sense of what had just happened. He had stolen the Chaos Emerald, not Sonic. Sure he, Sonic looked alike, and they could do a lot of the same things, but Major Schmit was too smart to make a mistake like that.

Shadow stopped his train of thought, slightly confused. Why did he just think of Schmit as a Major? He was a Colonel, not a Major. Shadow's thoughts where interrupted, when he heard Colonel Schmit shout. It was louder than it should have been. Shadow reasoned that he must have moved closer to the dumpster.

"Do not! Discuss top secret military matters in front of civilians."

"Sir?" A voice that Shadow didn't recognize asked.

"Escort her from the premises," Schmit growled.

Shadow now felt even more confused then ever. If they didn't want to discuss top secret matters in front of civilians then why didn't they just leave? They were in a public place, for crying out loud. Shadow was still trying to sort this out, when the person, whom Colonel Schmit had been yelling at, returned to give his report.

"Sir, the search party just reported in, and there is no sign of Project A. However they have found a Chaos Emerald." This news perked Shadow's interest, and he started listening more intently.

"Hmm, have them take the Chaos Emerald to Prison Island; it should be safe from Project A there," Schmit said.

"Yes Sir," the unfamiliar voice said, and with that Shadow heard Colonel Schmit, and whoever he was talking to, walk away.

Shadow smiled. Now that everyone was leaving he wasn't going to have to stay here much longer, and when he got out he was going to find a way to break back into Prison Island.

..............................................................................................................................................................................

Colonel Schmit got into the hum-vee, grabbed the door to close it, and stopped for a second; his eyes drifting to the dumpster that Shadow was hiding in. When Shadow got to Prison Island he was going to be in for a biiig surprise.

..............................................................................................................................................................................

Knuckles stopped walking, and stared into his hands. In his hands he carried four pieces of the Master Emerald, all of them no bigger than a Chaos Emerald. Four pieces, four lousy pieces. He didn't even have a tenth of the Master Emerald, and it was quite possible that some of the pieces were a lot smaller than the ones he was holding.

He closed his eyes, and inwardly he kicked himself for about the hundredth time. It had been his fault. All his fault. If he had stayed awake, instead of falling asleep then maybe it wouldn't have happened.

He didn't know why he guarded the great stone. He had no memory of what went on before. All he knew was that he had to protect the Master Emerald with his life. And last night he had failed.

It all seemed so reasonable yesterday; to take a nap in the afternoon. It was peaceful, and he knew that he wouldn't be able to sleep long after the rain started. But when the thunder woke him up, the Master Emerald was gone.

He had thought that he saw someone, or something up there, but when he reached the alter top; nothing was there. just a big puddle from the rain. Then, for the second time, Angel Island fell into the ocean.

He had spent the rest of the night wanting to kill himself, for failing, and that was when he found the first peace, lying at the bottom of the alter. When he realized that it was a piece to the Master Emerald he almost did kill himself, but before he did a thought struck him; if the Master Emerald was powerful enough to hold up an island then maybe, just maybe it could repair itself if he brought all of the pieces back together.

He turned his eyes away from his hands, and concentrated. He had been with the Master Emerald for so long that he could feel the pieces when they were near, and with every piece he found, this six sense grew stronger. And he knew that somewhere in the Windy Valley there was either a large piece, or several small ones.

...............................................................................................................................................................................

Rouge smiled to herself, as she leaned over, and picked up another one. This was the third weird shaped emerald shard she had found. Each one was only slightly smaller than a Chaos Emerald. With some minimal cutting, and a little luck she would have three gorgeous jewels. And on top of that they seemed to give off some kind of energy that led her to more of the precious things.

"If I keep finding more of these, then I won't need to steal jewels any more."

She took out the first two that she had found, and compared them to the new one. It was too hard to figure out which one was the biggest, since they were all shaped weird. So she settled for staring at the dreamy things.

Sadly it didn't last. Her eyes drifted to her arm and the bracelet on it. Seeing the ugly thing killed her mood. Imagine giving a lady a bomb to wear, and then having the nerve to call it a bracelet. It was insulting. But then again she would have been even more insulted if they had just trusted her right off the bat.

Her thoughts were interrupted when someone started yelling at her.
"Hey those are mine!"

She looked up, and saw the owner of the voice, a red echidna with a red temper. "Is that any way to talk to a lady?" He ignored her question. "Those belong to me." He pointed at the emerald shards she was holding. "Give them back."

She put her emerald shards back in her pocket, and brought herself up to her full height. "How did you get so rude?" She asked with scorn.

"If you don't give me my emeralds, then I'm going to take them from you," He said. That made her chuckle.

"What makes you think that I'm not going to take the emeralds that you already have?" And with that she attacked.

She jumped in the air, and flew straight at him. Before he could react, she kicked him with so much force, it sent him flying into one of the natural stone pillars that dotted the area; making it like a maze.

He dropped one of his emerald shards, and she promptly picked it up.

"Are you ready to apologize?" She asked in a mocking voice.

Instead of answering, he charged at her.

She flew backwards into the maze. Once she was out of the echidna's sight she purposefully dropped her emerald shards, and hid behind a pillar.

He ran straight for the emeralds that she had dropped, drawn by the energy that they gave off. He stopped when he saw the emeralds, probably confused that she had supposedly given up the fight. And in the moment of confusion she struck.

She swooped down, behind him, and grabbed two of the emerald shards out of his hand, and without skipping a beat, flew over to where she had left her emerald shards, and scooped them up as well.

Now she had six, and he only had one.

...............................................................................................................................................................................

Knuckles was about to boil over. This bat girl was slowly and systematically taking his pieces to the Master Emerald, well maybe not slowly. However he hadn't boiled over yet, and despite the state of consciousness that he was in, he managed to think of a plan.

He copied her move, and retreated into the maze of pillars, and when he was out of sight, he threw his piece of the Master Emerald, about sixty feet, and then, taking his shovel claws, he started tunneling.

HE reached the area below where he had thrown his Master Emerald shard, and went dead still. Almost immediately he heard her voice, muffled threw the dirt. "If you think that I'm going to fall for my own strategy, then I pity you."

He didn't answer. He just stayed still, and waited.

He could sense the Master Emerald shards that she was holding get closer, as she slowly came down to the ground. Obviously looking every which way, that is every which way, but down.

He sensed that the Master Emerald shards were so close that he knew that she had landed, and then he pounced.

He burst out of the ground, and grabbed her by the leg. Before she could recover, he spun around, and threw her, like a hammer, in the hammer throw contest.

She went flying, but since she was a bat she could steer, and she avoided hitting anything.

He ran at her ready to deliver an upper cut punch, but she dodged it, and flew back to where he had thrown his Master Emerald shard.
He cursed himself for forgetting about it, and tried to beat her to it, but she had a head start.

She scooped up the seventh Master Emerald shard, and then flew strait up, until she was out of his reach, and smiling down on him she said, "Maybe that will teach you how to treat a lady." And with that she flew off.

He tried to follow her, but she could fly, and although he could glide on the wind it just so happened that there was no wind in the Windy Valley at this time, and he lost her.

To be continued
Sign up to rate and review this story