Categories > Original > Fantasy > Queen of Aces

Queen of Aces

by Celestial_Calamity 2 reviews

Read and you'll find out.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Horror - Published: 2009-05-15 - Updated: 2009-05-16 - 893 words

2Original
I awoke to another moonlit night, after feeling the cold air rush through my hair; I finally decided to get out of bed. I dressed quickly and hurried down the stairs, “Mom?” I yawned, searching the house until it dawned on me. She wasn’t here, nor would she or anyone else be ever again. This was my house now, always so lonely and empty. My drunk of a father had tried to kill me one night, eleven years ago, he stabbed me eighteen times. My mother had been brutally slaughtered by him when she tried to protect me. He killed himself shortly after, but not before saying something that changed my life forever. Drawing the four aces of a deck from his pocket and showing to me he said, “You’re not human you know, I tried to spare you from the life you’ll have. Oh well, I tried. Long live the Queen of Aces.” He then held the cards over his heart, laughed, and plunged the knife into his chest.




I shuddered as the painful memory faded once again once I stepped out the door to a cold night. “What was he talking about?” I thought out loud and turned a corner. Brick buildings surrounded me on either side, shadows followed me every step that I took. Memories of my mother flowed through my mind as I came up to an open field. Memories of laughter, of sadness, all of them precious, each of them destroyed by my father. The truth was I hated that man for ruining my life, for ending my mother’s. Yet each night I visited his grave, mostly because it was next to my mother’s. Gathering buttercups from the field, I hurried bac k through the street, past the giant brick buildings, and to the graveyard at the other side of town.




“Mom, I brought you your favorite this time,” I smiled, replacing the old flowers with the buttercups. “As you asked for in your will, gramps is taking care of me. For a billionaire’s daughter, you could’ve had much better than dad. But nonetheless, I’m still living by myself, I told gramps I liked it more that way, and I’m getting good grades in school and-” I stopped short when I heard a rustling sound from behind me. “Who’s there?” No answer, the rustling turn ed into foot steps, it was getting closer and closer. Still staring at the gravestone, I sat there silently, waiting for whatever it was. Suddenly, something grabbed my hair from behind; I spun around and knocked whoever it was to the ground, holding a sharpened staff at their throat.




“D, GET THE HELL OFFA ME!” He shrieked. “Oh, hi, Aden.” I stared at the teenager I had pinned to the ground. He was my one and only friend, he was tall and thin with jet black hair and bright blue eyes, and he always insisted on sneaking up on me.

“Yeah, hi, get off.” He said pulling at the staff when I didn’t budge. I kept it at his throat.

“Why should I?” I grinned, “after all, I’ve warned you not to sneak up on me.”

“You know, this isn’t that bad, there’s a hot chick on top of me. I mean, yeah, she could kill me, but still!” He grinned.

What are you doing out here anyway?” I asked, pulling the staff back, folding it, and sticking it in my coat pocket.

“I saw little miss perfect sneak out of her house, so I decided to follow you.” He shrugged, getting up and brushing dirt and leaves from his clothes.

“I do not sneak out of the house, I walk. Or did you forget that I live alone because my parents are gone?” I slumped to the ground, on the brink of tears.

“Ahh h! D, I’m sorry! That came out wrong, I mean, uhm-” I cut him off by sweeping his legs out from under him and watched him crash to the ground.

“Jerk, don’t you know you’re not supposed to make a girl cry?” I sniffed and wiped my eyes.

“How do you always make me feel so guilty?” He sighed, sitting up and gripping me in a tight hug.

“I don’t, you do.” I smiled, staring up at the moon until heavy clouds came and blocked its light, leaving the earth pitch black. I sighed at the loss of light and fell asleep in Aden’s arms only to awake as the sun was peeking over the hill. “Aden! Why didn’t you wake me up?!” I shrieked breaking free of his hold then heard his head hit against a headstone.

“OW! Wait- What?! I fell asleep? Shit! My parents are gonna kill me!” He yelled, slapping his forehead, leaning against a gravestone.

“How come YOU fell asleep?!” I shrieked.

“Well, you smell good,” he grinned.

“Right… Well, see you later, and I hope your parents don’t kill you. I’d miss you too much,” I laughed, sticking my tongue out at him as I hurried away. Once I was home, I trudged up to my bed and lay down. “I’d miss you all too much,” I whispered then wiped away a tear and fell into a deep sleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story