Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Company We Keep

Prologue

by Quillian 0 reviews

A Harry Potter crossover with X-Men: Evolution

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2005-05-16 - Updated: 2005-05-16 - 888 words

3Original
DISCLAIMER: I don't own anyone or anything from the Harry Potter or X-Men: Evolution universes. There.

/SPECIAL DISCLAIMER:/ This story owes its life and existence to the awesome epic, "Of Slings and Arrows," whose author, TheOriginalPe, has given me her blessing with this fic. There will be plenty of differences between my fic and hers, which I will point out as I get to them.

Genre(s): Drama, Action/Adventure. Length: No clue; I'll have to see where this takes me. Pairings: None (at least not for Harry). Rating: PG-13. Theme(s): Not everything being black and white, meeting new people. (Okay, did that just sound stupid or what?) WARNING: Character death towards the end.


/ /
/The Company We Keep/

By Quillian



Many respects and thanks to TheOriginalPe, whose awesome epic "Of Slings and Arrows," was the inspiration for this fic.



Prologue:

Front page article from the /Daily Prophet, /dated 2 September, 1996:

DIGGORYS MURDERED! HARRY POTTER RESPONSIBLE!

Last night at Hogwarts, halfway through the Welcoming Feast, Minister Fudge charged into Hogwarts with half a dozen Aurors, all armed and ready to arrest Harry Potter for murdering Mr. and Mrs. Amos Diggory. Before the Minister could even complete spelling out the charges, Mr. Potter made a daring escape and ran back up to Gryffindor Tower, from whence he gathered his belongs, took his broomstick, jumped out a window, and flew away from the vicinity with the Aurors narrowly behind him.

While steaming over the escape of the Boy Who Murdered, Fudge pointed out that he must have been guilty, given how he ran away like that.

During the Aug. 30 attack on the village of Ottery St. Catchpole, Mr. and Mrs. Amos Diggory (parents of the late Hogwarts student Cedric Diggory) were brutally murdered in their home with Unforgivable curses. You-Know-Who's minions also attacked the Burrow, home of the Weasleys, the family which has had strong ties with Potter. The Ministry claims evidence that while Potter was "pretending" to defend his surrogate family, he secretly stole off to the Diggorys' home, murdered the pair of them, and returned back to the battle before anyone could suspect anything. Eyewitnesses also claim to have seen Harry Potter going back and forth between the homes of the two families.

An investigation is still ongoing, and Fudge's support has been returned in spades. "I'm glad to see the public has finally realized that menace of boy for what he is. He's had ties with werewolves and giants, he's a Parselmouth, he led a rebellion against Professor Umbridge, and there's no doubt in my mind that he deliberately murdered young Cedric Diggory and helped YKW return. Well, soon enough the ego of that attention-seeking brat will be his downfall. The day the dementor's Kiss is given to that evil excuse for a human will be a great day for the magical community. In the meantime, I will gladly help lead the community against YKW."

The majority of Hogwarts does not seem to support Harry Potter either, and if there are any voices of sympathy, or doubt of his so-called "guiltiness," then those voices are silent to us.

A search is still on-going for the world's fallen Savior of Light. There are promising leads saying he fled to the Americas, and there is no alarm for panic back here in Great Britain.

Meanwhile, in other news...



Fudge was pacing back and forth in his office, at a crossroads between joyous and worried. Joyous, because he finally got all his support back, and worried, because Potter had managed to escape his clutches once again. There was no telling what that boy would do next time.

The Minister snorted. That brat was always causing trouble for the decent, hard-working people at the Ministry of Magic. No, he thought he could use his fame to get what he wanted. Well, power-hungry people always got what was coming to them.

Then there was Potter's escape from Hogwarts. While doing a mad dash from the Great Hall to Gryffindor Tower, strange things were said to have happened. One painting occupant claimed that while a staircase was changing positions, the Potter brat merely jumped from the moving staircase to the opposite ledge - in an arc that went across a gap seven feet wide! Another claimed that at his speed increased somewhat for a moment or so while running down a hallway. And yet another claimed that when Peeves tried to knock over a suit of armor in his path, it somehow floated aside before it could slow him down!

Fudge and his Aurors had threatened those paintings with death by burning if they ever spoke anything of that to anyone. (They had yet to come up with a sufficient threat for Peeves, however.)

Sometimes Fudge wondered what he had done to deserve all this grief and stress.

Trying desperately to calm down, Fudge listened to his praises on WWN. Yes, hearing the public support him always managed to help soothe his frayed nerves.

Now in a better state of mind, Fudge could finally finish writing the speech he would give at the Diggory's funeral and memorial the next day...

TBC...

A/N: So, how many of you want to kill Fudge?

So, next chapter is where we get back to Harry... -Quillian
Sign up to rate and review this story