Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Company We Keep

Flying and Thinking

by Quillian 0 reviews

Harry escapes, but what does he stumble into now?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover - Characters: Harry - Published: 2005-05-16 - Updated: 2005-05-16 - 1060 words

2Insightful
DISCLAIMER: See the Prologue.


Chapter 1: Flying and Thinking

Harry got one of the most unwelcome shocks of his life when Fudge came barging into the Great Hall with a small army of Aurors, gleefully declaring him under arrest for the murder of the Diggorys. As Dumbledore was getting up to talk some sense into the inept Minister, Harry's fear finally got a hold of him and he fled.

The Aurors made to go after him, but Dumbledore tried halting them, allowing some time for Harry to escape. Before Harry disappeared out a door, he made eye contact with Dumbledore, and for a moment, even from across the hall, Harry could see that twinkle in his mentor's eye.

Harry had hardly ever run so fast in his life, probably not even when he escaped from the graveyard and Voldemort at the end of his fourth year. He hardly even noticed one occasion when he jumped a rather wide chasm caused by a moving staircase, or when his speed increased in a moment of desperation, or when Peeves tried pushing the suit of armor in front of him and it floated aside.

Once back in his dorm room, Harry got all his things into his trunk after taking out his Firebolt, shrank his trunk, pocketed it, jumped out the window, and flew out.

He flew and didn't stop flying. He was now out over the ocean, heading west. After an hour, when Harry was pretty sure he was far enough, he began to slow down a little as he thought back to the previous summer...

Harry was sitting in his room back at Number 4, Privet Drive, a couple of days before his birthday. He was still mourning over Sirius' death, and was now beyond tears in all his grief. He just sat in his room most of the time (unless he had to eat, use the bathroom, or do the occasional chore), and was contemplating, almost meditating...

Halfway through the month, charges were made against Umbridge for her atrocities, and using Fawkes' healing tears, Dumbldore was able to rid students who had to endure her detentions of the scars they now bore. Fudge's popularity was going downhill (and Umbridge mysteriously disappearing didn't help his case), and he was just barely holding on, which was small consolation to Harry.

On his birthday, Harry was able to go to the Burrow for his birthday and stay there the rest of the month, which helped cheer him up as he was reunited with the Weasleys (sans Percy, who had also mysteriously vanished after the blow to Fudge's reputation). However, even there, he was still keeping to himself, thinking and dwelling on life, just going into trances...

And then there was the night the village was attacked. Using his magic, Harry helped save and defend as many people as he could while fighting off Death Eaters. He was also able to save Luna and her father from their house, which was under attack.

However, when he returned to the Burrow, he was saddened to hear of the murders of Cedric Diggory's parents. Even for a moment, Harry thought guiltily that at least now, they were reunited in death...

Snapping out of it, Harry continued flying, picking up the pace and doing his best to remain warm as he continued his sojourn over the seemingly endless ocean.



On the other side of the said ocean, in a secret facility under a secluded manor, a professor in a wheelchair donned an unusual and unique helmet, scanning for traces of a mutant he had detected about a month or so earlier. He kept getting visions of a teenager, huddled in a room and weeping.

The professor's heart broke when he saw those images, but nothing could prepare him for the memories of the young man's life which then somehow flooded his mind. Images of neglect, pain, violence, suffering, torture and death, between the ten years he spent in his relation's "care" (or lack thereof), and the following five years at the magical school, where as time went on, victories were being overshadowed by defeats.

'No boy, or any person of any age, for that matter,' the professor somberly thought, 'should have to endure any of that.'

The panel on the equipment lit up again, and focusing, the professor tried to find his quarry...

And there he was. Flying over the Atlantic Ocean from the British Isles to what seemed to be the Northeastern United States.

'How ironic that I should go looking for him and he should be flying right towards us,' the professor mused.

With that, he went off to find his fellow instructors so they could get to their new quarry before anyone else could find him.



It was getting so late that it was now early, and Harry was getting tired from the jet lag ('Or would that be considered broom lag?' he wondered). Finally seeing some land ahead as the sun's first rays began to shine from behind him, he speed up and tried to land before anyone could see him.

With a burst of speed, Harry landed in the forest, deep between the trees so no one could see him. After putting his stuff away and changing into Muggle clothes, Harry set off in search of someplace he could stay.

After walking through the forest for half an hour, he was getting tired and about ready to collapse... but he willed himself to keep going...

And suddenly, he felt something wrong, and this feeling only increased as he felt a penetrating cold from all around him...



TBC...

A/N: So, how is this so far?

Next chapter is where a rather strange group of people come to his aid (guess who!)... -Quillian


EXTRA!

If anyone wants to read any other good HP/X-Men crossovers on this site, you may enjoy these which I've come across and enjoyed (all of which are currently works in progress).

"Betrayal, Darkness, Rebirth," by mysterychatter9
"Harry Potter and the Children of the Atom," "HPX2: Harry Potter & the Secrets of Weapon X," and "HPX3: Harry Potter & the Flames of the Phoenix," by Classic Cowboy
"Harry Potter and the Power the Dark Lord Knows Not," by knightblazer85
"And you wonder why they call you Freak?" by Icedragonmo3

Have fun!
Sign up to rate and review this story