Categories > Original > Drama > Rain Child

Pick the Pieces Up and Start Again

by westie 0 reviews

She was staring at her feet and her arms were wrapped around her notebook, holding it to her chest like a shield...

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Angst - Published: 2009-06-27 - Updated: 2009-10-21 - 381 words

0Unrated
Chapter 5
Pick the Pieces Up and Start Again
Seth’s POV

“Seth?” asked a timid voice from behind me. I sighed and put my math book on the top shelf of my locker, slamming it shut. Only then did I turn to look at Lily. She was staring at her feet and her arms were wrapped around her notebook, held up to her chest like a shield. She looked helpless, which sort of shocked me out of my reverie.
“What?” I asked. She just never let up.
She looked up at me then, and to my surprise she looked like she was ready to cry. Well, duh, I told myself. I had beaten her to a mental pulp yesterday. I suddenly felt bad, like really really bad.
“Um, Seth, I know you don’t really like me, but I just wanted to know…” Her voice cracked and wobbled like a sinking ship. If she started to cry I was screwed.
“Lily…Lily, please don’t cry.” I tried to say it in a nice tone of voice. She slowly composed herself and took a deep steadying breath.
“Seth, I know you don’t like me, but I...” She sighed. “The thing is that I think you’re cool. Um…” She fidgeted, looking at her hands. “I know we're complete opposites, Seth, but can we be friends?” she said quickly, looking up at me.
I grew uncomfortable under her stare. I looked at my hands, just like she had. Then I looked at her hands. Then I looked out the window. Then I looked at my locker…
“Seth.” She waved her hand in front of my face. “Hello?”
“Oh, um, yeah.” I straightened up. “Umm…” I sighed and shook my head. “Geez, girl. Fine.” I meant to say it in a really mean tone of voice, but it came out sort of quiet. She sort of frowned, an uncertain thing that took shape fleetingly in the creasing of her brow. Next moment, it was gone, and the magnificent creature walked past me to her next class.
Dammit! a voice screamed in my head. I knew things were going to take a turn for the worse.
Elli was not going to like this.
But Lily was so pretty. I couldn’t stand it.
Sign up to rate and review this story