Categories > Original > Drama > Rain Child

This Is Fact, Not Fiction; For The First Time In Years

by westie 0 reviews

She was wearing a black sweatshirt over a pair of jeans. I suddenly had a flash of Elli sitting in this truck, wearing a very similar outfit, messing with the radio.

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Published: 2009-06-27 - Updated: 2009-08-27 - 843 words

0Unrated
Chapter 9
This Is Fact, Not Fiction; For The First Time In Years
Seth’s POV

My phone rang at 1 in the morning. It was Lily.
“Seth,” Lily whispered, “I can’t sleep.”
I groaned.
“Lily, why are you whispering?” I asked in a what-the-heck voice. “And why are you calling me at 1 in the morning?”
“Well, for one, my parents still live with me, and I already answered your second question, you goofball.”
“Lily, what do you think I’m going to be able to do about your sleep problem?”
There was a pause, and Lily said, “Why don’t we get something to eat?”
My stomach rumbled. I groaned. “I guess so. Where’s your house?”
She gave me her address and she hung up.
I groaned and rolled out of bed, putting on actual clothes. I slipped into my hoodie and threw on a pair of skinny jeans.
Five minutes later, I was at her house. There weren’t any streetlights, and it was impossible to see her house clearly. I didn’t want to honk, in case I woke up her parents.
I was trying in vain to see her face in a window when the front door opened slowly. Lily stepped out, shutting it quietly behind her.
She ran down the walk, pausing only to jump over the low stone wall around the front yard. She jumped in the truck, smiling at me. She was wearing a black sweatshirt over a pair of jeans. I suddenly had a flash of Elli sitting in this truck, wearing a very similar outfit, messing with the radio.
I shook my head to clear my thoughts and smiled back at her.
“Where to, miss?”
“Navy Pier,” she replied, smiling at me.
I drove her to Navy Pier, and we parked. It was raining, so I got out an umbrella.
“Whatcha doin’, Seth?” she asked curiously, coming up behind me.
“Getting an umbrella.” I opened it and held it above her head.
She giggled and slipped her hand into mine. I was taken aback, but she had already started walking, so I followed.
Ahead of us was Lake Michigan. It was gorgeous in the black of night, only parts of it illuminated by the light cast by the buildings and streetlamps on the Pier. The pouring rain on the water made it even prettier.
“Lily, isn’t this beautiful?” I whispered.
“No.”
“What do you mean no?” I looked at her quizzically.
“I mean, no, I am not Lily.” She smiled mischievously.
I cocked my head. “Well, ma’am, may I ask who you are, then?”
She stuck her nose up in the air, smiling. “I am Queen Isabella II of Spain.”
I laughed, getting an idea. “Well then I am a Tzar. The Tzar of Russia, in fact.” I held out my hand. She placed hers in mine and I kissed the back of it. “Pleased to make your acquaintance, your highness.” I bowed low.
She giggled. “Charmed, I’m sure,” she replied and curtseyed in response.
“May I have this dance, your highness?” I asked her quietly, pulling her close.
“I would be delighted, your majesty,” she whispered, looking into my eyes. We danced to the music, gazing into each other’s eyes. I leaned down and kissed her on the lips.
She giggled and pulled my face down to hers. I laughed and swooped her into my arms, staring into her eyes.
“Finally, you kissed me!” she shouted in jubilance and jumped out of my arms. She ran toward the fountain, laughing at him. He chased her and grabbed her around the waist, swinging her in the air and making her shriek. I let her down and she took my hand, hopping up on the edge of the fountain. I was convinced I would fall in and I refused to stand on the edge, but she coaxed me up with sweet words and petty promises, so eventually we were together again.
I looked up and began pointing out stars. Lily laughed at me and jumped down again, pulling me towards a street vendor. I bought her cotton candy, laughing when she stuck some on my nose. She dragged me all over Chicago that night, eventually dragging me off Navy Pier and into downtown. We went window-shopping and looked at the giant bean sculpture in the park, right next to the ice rink. We also went ice-skating at the aforementioned ice rink. She kept falling, just so I would catch her. I had to skate backwards and hold her hands so she wouldn’t purposefully fall over.
She was so full of energy and so newly amazed by everything we did that I found myself wishing that the night would just go on forever, instead of having to end, which it inevitably did. I took her home around six the next morning, walking her to the gate and giving her a kiss on the cheek.
I drove home and had just lain down when my alarm to go to work went off.
Sign up to rate and review this story