Categories > Anime/Manga > Gundam Wing > Christmas Dreams and New Year's Wishes

Part 3 Chapter 3 Hilde's Anger

by kittnami 0 reviews

Category: Gundam Wing - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2009-09-22 - Updated: 2009-09-23 - 2265 words

0Unrated
Chapter 3 Hilde’s Anger

He had not gotten very far when Duo spotted her. She was standing with Relena and a small little girl that looked vaguely familiar. Deciding he needed to get it over with, Duo walked up and put his most charming smile on.
“Ladies, how are ya this evening?” Duo asked bowing.
“Hello, Duo. It’s good to see you again.” Relena said with a warm handshake but a smile that did not quite reach her eyes. Duo hoped it had nothing to do with him.
“Duo.” Hilde said and he could see the hurt lingering in her eyes, but it was considerably less.
“Hilde, babe.” He said before bowing in front of her and kissing her hand. She gave him a tight smile.
“Mr. Duo, do you still think I’m an angel?” The little girl asked pulling on his pinstripe sleeve.
“Huh?” Duo said stupidly not able to place the girl. She had long, dark purple hair and stunning blue eyes. Then it hit him. “Of course I still think you’re an Angel, Natalie was it?”
“You do remember!” The little girl said and smiled. She had braces, but Duo ignored them. “I ‘member you too. You’re Mr. Heero’s friend. Do you know where he is?”
“I’m sorry, Duo. She’s wanted to see Heero since we got here.” Relena said and squatted down beside the child. “I told you, Natalie. Heero will be here when he gets done being busy.”
Duo looked at Hilde who refused to meet his eyes. She was very pretty tonight in a dark blue gown that looked like it was made of velvet. It was strapless and clung to her breasts. It was a lopsided dress with the right side high on Hilde’s thigh and the left side nearly dragging the floor. Her hair had grown out since he had last seen her. Now the dark blue locks were cut into a straight bob just barely brushing the top of her shoulders. She had one side swept up and back, held in place with a butterfly clip.
“You look good tonight.” Duo attempted to engage her in conversation.
“I wouldn’t think you’d be a very good judge.” Hilde said a little saucily and Duo could see she was still bitter.
“Hilde, I can’t help what I am, but believe me I didn’t want to hurt you. Then or now.” Duo said with an exasperated sigh. Hilde’s reply was cut off by Natalie once again tugging at his suit.
“Mr. Duo, will you dance with me?” She asked, her face doing one of the best puppy dog faces he had ever seen.
“My, who taught you the puppy dog face? I thought I had the best puppy dog eyes, but, Natalie, yours are 100 cry worthy.” Duo said and smiled at her.
“But will you?” Natalie persisted.
Duo leaned down close to the child and picked her up. He put his lips close to her ear and whispered, “I gotta secret.”
“What is it?” Natalie whispered back into his ear.
“I don’t know how to dance.” Duo whispered back enjoying the game. He really did know how to dance, but children loved things like this.
“I’ll show you.” Natalie whispered back in his ear and leaned back in his arms.
“Really?” Duo asked putting a shocked face on, “You’d do that?”
Natalie nodded her head yes vigorously and smiled at him. Duo glanced at Hilde knowing that he really should stay to talk with Hilde, but what would one dance harm anything.
“Natalie, you have yourself a partner.” Duo smiled at her and let her lead him out to the floor.
The music was playing a waltz. Natalie could not have been more than five years old and she only came to about Duo’s knee. Duo squatted down so she could show him where to put his hands. Then she showed him the steps very slowly. Duo was surprised to see that she actually knew the correct steps to the waltz. Duo probably looked ridiculous, but Natalie was laughing and seemed to be overjoyed so he did not mind the stares he was getting. Some were from bemused women, probably having children of their own; others were severe frowns from those who believed Duo was acting “in bad form”. After the dance ended, Duo picked Natalie up and took her back to Relena and Hilde.
“Duo, I had no idea you were so good with children.” Relena said as she took Natalie from him.
“I’m not, Natalie is just good with adults.” Duo said with a laugh. “How old is she anyway?”
“She’s just about three.” Relena told him.
“What?” Duo’s jaw dropped a mile. “She’s very...um…three?” Duo squeaked.
“Thank you, Duo.” Relena smiled wide at him obviously pleased with the compliment. “I think I see Milliardo and Lucrezia. Excuse us. Come along, Natalie.”
“Yes, nice seeing you, Duo.” Hilde started to follow Relena, but Duo reached out and grabbed her wrist. She yanked it out of his grasp and turned to slap him. Her hand never reached his face. “Let go of me.”
“Hilde, we need to talk.” Duo said and inclined his head toward the general direction of the gardens.
“Fine, but only because I have some choice words that aren’t fit for sophisticated ears.” Hilde said and put on a false smile as Duo led her outside.
Duo led Hilde out to the gardens. It was only about eleven yet and the moonlight played softly bringing the “Enchanted Garden” cliché to life. Hilde was extremely tense beside him, but did not say a word until he had led her over to a bench and sat her down. Sitting down beside her, Duo decided it would be best to be serious, just this once.
“Hilde, I’m…” That was as far as Duo got before Hilde opened her mouth.
“I can’t believe you had the nerve to just walk up to me like that with no warning at all and then had the gall to kiss my hand and call me “babe” just like nothing ever happened! Who do you think you are, Duo Maxwell?”
“I…I’m…I never…God, Hilde what do you want me to say? It’s not like I did anything wrong!” Duo held his arms out completely unable to think of anything to say.
“What do I want you to say? I want you to say ‘Hilde, I’m an idiot, a selfish bastard that led you on and played with your affections so I could laugh at your pain!’ That’s what I want you to say because you goddamn know it’s the truth you asshole!”
Duo did a double take. He had never known Hilde to swear so much or speak so forcefully. She looked ready to claw his eyes out, and at the same time ready to cry him a river of tears. He had no idea what to say except things he had already said.
“Hilde, I did not mean to hurt you or lead you on. I don’t know where you got those ideas! Hell, if anything I was grateful to you. You took me in after the war, tolerated my childish behavior, gave me a job and a life! The most important thing you gave me is a friend and I’ll never be able to repay you for that.” Duo told her.
“You selfish ass, you flirted with me, made me think you liked me, made me love you!” Hilde was becoming hysterical. Duo wondered how such a petite woman could feel so extra-largely.
“I flirted with you yes, but did I ever make a pass at you?” Duo asked her in a quiet voice.
“Yes!” Hilde sobbed. She punched him in the arm slightly and Duo could tell her anger was fading. She never could stay angry with him long.
“Name one time.” Duo challenged her.
He waited for Hilde to name a moment he had hit on her, but she could not come up with anything. Duo had taken her dancing, out to eat, to amusement parks, but never once had he touched her inappropriately, tried to kiss her, or even looked at her with “that” look. Hilde did not want to admit it though, so she just continued to cry. Duo pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket and handed it to her.
“I’m sorry I caused you so much pain, and I should have told you about me from the beginning, but I couldn’t. I’d kept it a secret for so long.” Duo said truthfully.
“You’re being serious aren’t you?” Hilde looked at him a little incredulously and took the handkerchief to wipe her face. The tears had smeared her make-up, but Duo thought she looked better without it anyway.
“Yeah, and it’s hard. See what I go through for you.” Duo joked.
“You’re such an ass.” Hilde said unable to hold back a laugh. “I want to be angry with you still but I can’t. I’ve been bottling it up and it feels good to get it out.”
“Friends?” Duo asked and held out his arms for a hug. Hilde stayed where she was and Duo lowered his arms.
“Friends, but it’s too soon, Duo.” Hilde said before handing him back the handkerchief now stained with mascara.
“Whatever you say, babe.” Duo said and smiled. Hilde stood up indicating she wanted to leave. Playing the gentleman, Duo stood up and held out an arm to escort her. They had not walked two steps before Hilde suddenly turned and slapped him hard across the face.
“Owww! What was that for?” Duo asked rubbing his cheek.
“For taking so long.” Hilde said and walked off with a smile on her lips leaving Duo to rub at his cheek.
“Taking so long to do what?” Duo asked himself.
Duo once again headed for the party. He checked the watch Quatre had provided with his suit. It was a nice watch, gold with a long chain. One of those old watches that went in a tiny pocket on his vest instead of around his wrist. Duo had a little trouble getting it out, the pocket was so tiny, but once he did it seemed that only fifteen minutes had gone by. It was still only 11:15. Not that I should care. I don’t have anyone to kiss. Duo thought to himself as he thought longingly of Heero. One in a million chance, Duo. One in a million. Duo chided himself before getting back inside.
He no more than walked in the door than a little, dark-haired girl appeared at his elbow to pull at his suit. Duo looked down at Natalie and then up to see Noin chasing after her.
“Mr. Duo, hide me. Mommy says I have to get ready for bed, but it’s not twelve yet.”
She looked so sweetly urgent that Duo immediately swept her behind his legs and out of Noin’s sight. He was looking very innocent when a slightly out of breath Noin came up to him.
“Duo, did you see what way my little girl went? She hates getting ready for bed.”
Duo thought for a minute just to make it believable. “I don’t remember seeing a little girl run by here. I saw her earlier though, she was by the big fountain in the main hallway. Maybe you’ll find her there.”
“Thanks. Happy New Year’s, Duo.” Noin said before hurrying away. When she was out of sight, Duo turned around and squatted down beside Natalie.
“So, are ya gonna tell me why I’ve risked your mommy’s anger?” Duo asked her.
“I gotta stay up ‘till mid..midnight.” Natalie told him tripping over the last word.
“And what happens at twelve? Do you turn into a regular little girl like Cinderella?” Duo asked her.
“No, that’s silly!” Natalie playfully swatted Duo on the arm. “Mr. Heero said he’d dance with me at twelve.”
“Oh, in that case, I think you’d be safest with Heero. Where is he?” Duo asked her.
“Mr. Heero and Aunt Lena went to talk. They told me to stay with mommy because it was an adult only talk. I think they went to the lab…laber...anth…labyrinth.” Natalie said a little unsure of how to say the word, but eventually getting it out.
“Well, we’d better hurry before mommy spots you.” Duo said and picked Natalie up. He knew what she was talking about. It may be a labyrinth to her, but to him it was merely a hedge maze about waist high. If Heero went there to talk with Relena, and no doubt he wanted to talk privately, then they had to be at the center. In the very middle of Quatre’s hedge maze was a pavilion surrounded by a small pond. It looked very Japanese and would explain why Heero would want to go there. That and it had always been one of his favorite spots. Duo knew this because of his insatiable curiosity that often called for that thing people call eavesdropping. He momentarily wondered if he should be corrupting a child in such a way, but grinned at the thought that Zech’s kid might grow up to share some of Duo’s habits. It would serve Zechs right.
Sign up to rate and review this story