Categories > Original > Romance > Smiles Fade in the Summer

Chapter One.

by Would_You_Kindly 1 review

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2009-11-03 - Updated: 2009-11-03 - 1093 words

1Ambiance
The penetrating rings of my alarm clock stirred me from my slumber. My eyes slid open a tad, and I glanced over towards the clock; five fifteen a.m. I mumbled a groan as I involuntarily glided out from beneath my blanket, letting my feet set on the floor. I had hardly suppressed any sleep the night before, and I let my exhausted eyes lull close again. Once I realized what I was doing, I shook myself abruptly, forcing myself to stay awake.

--

I slid open the double doors of the front entrance of the school, instantly greeted by warmth. I sighed slightly as I walked over to my locker, twisting it to my desired combination. Once I had grabbed the book I needed, I ambled through the hallways, heading towards my first class of the day; English.

“Hey Cammy!” Bailey and Alex yelled in unison. Bailey and Alex were my two very best friends, seeing how I don’t have any others. I’ve known Alex considerably longer than Bailey, but I feel the same towards both of them. I watched as they said something incoherent to my ears, and rupture into a fit of giggles. They’re so strange, the two of them; nothing alike, but you know what they say. Opposites attract.

“Hey guys,” I smiled brightly, my mood immediately perking up a bit as I approached them. They always made me so happy.

“Guess what?” They said in unison; what a shocker.

“What?”

“There’s a new student at the school,” Bailey said, only to draw my attention towards Alex as she finished her sentence. “He’s in our English class,” she added while wiggling her eyebrows.

“Oh, grow up you guys.” Their only response was only laughter as we took our seats just before the bell rang. Ms. Miller walked into the room, brushing off her blouse as if there was something there. Jeez, the lady was always so paranoid.

“Good morning class,” she stated bluntly, “We have a new student joining us, and I would like it if you all make him feel welcome.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I could decipher Alex elbowing Bailey in the ribs. What immature dorks. Suddenly I noticed a boy saunter into the room, his smile radiating with confidence. She directed him to the back of the class, just a few seats to my right. I poked my head over, trying to get a better look at him; he was more striking than I expected.

I watched as he flipped his hair to the side of his face, only resulting in it returning to its previous position, evidently annoying him. His had charcoal black hair, blending in perfectly with his jacket. He appeared somewhat tall, but maybe that’s just because I’m petite. His eyes glanced over at me, feeling my stare fixate on his features. I looked away hurriedly, my breathing becoming rapid, and my cheeks lighting on fire. I didn’t dare look anywhere but my desk for the fear he would catch me again. This wasn’t how I normally acted; I usually don’t get frightful if someone takes notice of my gaze.

The shuffle of people reaching and opening book’s to a certain page conveyed my attention away from my nervousness. I hastily grabbed my literature book, and flipped to the
page she had assigned on the board. Ignoring the assignment, I desperately tried to calm my anxiety by focusing on Bailey. All I did was stare at the back of her head, until my heart beat subsided. Unexpectedly, Bailey turned around, giving me an accusing glare.

“Pay attention!” she whispered harshly. I simply rolled my eyes at her remark, and looked away. As soon as I did, I felt something prod my forehead severely, averting my gaze to where it must have been thrown. My eyes met the main offender; Alex.

“Pay attention!” she whispered just as Bailey had done, the two of them feeding me indicting frowns.

“I don’t feel like it! I’m tired,” I muttered almost silently, their glares meeting mine.

“Cameron! Quit talking and pay attention!” Ms. Miller shrieked, her eyes growing inflamed. I felt pure anger form in the pit of my stomach but impeded as I heard a chuckle to my right. My head swiveled in that direction, instantaneously meeting the new kid’s mocking, and sarcastic stare. A few other people laughed along with him causing my cheeks to turn a bright crimson red. I rotated my head near the board, attempting to focus on something—anything—other than the disdainful giggles of those around me. I glanced over to the clock pleadingly. Five more minutes, and then you’ll be out of this hell.

“Psst! Cammy!” My eyes angrily migrated over to Bailey’s beseeching ones. I’m sorry. she mouthed, asking me forgiveness. I paused for a minute, making her shift uncomfortably within her seat. I was never mad. I responded, a small smile crawling onto my face. She relaxed back into her seat, but jumped slightly by the sudden roar of the bell, signaling us to our next class. Everyone bolted out the door, leaving me lagging behind gathering my books. I could see Bailey and Alex waiting impatiently by the door.

“Oh could you be any slower?” They yelled in unison. At this, I picked up my books, and headed to the door in slow motion. Bailey started walking away while Alex merely stood there, mouth agape with annoyance.

“I swear Cameron; you’re going to be the death of me.” My expression beamed once she said this, obviously irritating her.

“It’s not funny! Sheesh, could you be anymore aggravating?”

“Oh come on, you know you love me,” I smiled endearingly at her, and she simply looked away, trying not laugh as I prodded her side; we continued this as we commenced to our next class. Not paying any heed to where I was walking, I felt a body press up against my back abruptly, slightly making me stumble off balance. My body wobbled back and forth before I fell to the ground. Right before my face was about to meet the vindictive floor, sturdy hands grasped on to my shoulders, pulling me upright.

My eyes unlocked themselves from their petrified state and gaped up into adoring hazel orbs, followed by a crooked smile. I heard Alex gasp from surprise, but everything after that was a blur. My gaze was fixated only on him; the new kid.
Sign up to rate and review this story