Categories > Original > Romance > Smiles Fade in the Summer

Chapter two.

by Would_You_Kindly 0 reviews

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2009-11-03 - Updated: 2009-11-03 - 1386 words

1Ambiance
“Cameron? Cameron!” Alex’s words relentlessly dragged me back into reality. I peered up at him one last time before standing upright.

“Uh, thanks,” I muttered, brushing off myself before returning to my spot next to Alex.

“Anytime,” and with that he walked away, heading around the corner and out of my sight. I stood there in a daze of astonishment, only to be interrupted by a delicate hand taking place on my shoulder.

“Come on lover boy; let’s get to P.E. Bailey’s probably wondering where we are,” Alex breathed. I stumbled over my feet a bit, but Alex helped me regain stability again. Honestly, I didn’t deserve such good friends; they were too good for me.

--

The final bell of the day cried out, and everyone sprang up from their seats, dashing out the door. I never feel the need to sprint out of the building at the end of the day; it’s not like I wanted to get home anyways. I collected my books, and put them into my locker quite lethargically, hoping that I wouldn’t see anyone upon exiting; but of course, I jinxed myself.

“Cammy!” Bailey practically threw herself around me, causing me to stagger backwards, and hit my head on the lockers behind me. I recoiled in obvious pain, clutching desperately at the back of my skull.

“Oh, Cameron, I’m so sorry! I guess I got too excited…?” she apologized, kissing my forehead lightly and gracefully. I couldn’t help but smile and blush as she did so; she took my hand in hers, guiding me to the student parking lot.

“Where’s Alex? Did she leave without us?” I questioned, my eyes darting throughout the parking lot.

“No, she said that she’d be waiting by the church today.” I nodded in my head in comprehension, and it was silent until we reached the corner and Alex’s Honda came into view. I saw her turn the ignition, Bailey and I jogging straight to the vehicle.

“I call shotgun!” she yelled, and scrambled into the front seat before I could protest.

“That’s fine by me because now if Alex gets us killed, I won’t die first,” I smirked, and she only gave a horrified look.

“Alex, do you mind if I head over to your house? I don’t feel like going home right now,” I asked, shifting unnervingly inside my seat.

“Sure, but do you mind if I ask why? You’ve been, ‘not feeling like going home’, a lot recently.” It was only a matter of time before she asked; it wasn’t in her nature to not be curious.

“I don’t know,” I shrugged, “I just… don’t feel like going home yet.” They both saw right through my lies, giving me puzzled looks, but instead of persisting, they turned about, and pulled out of the parking space. It was dead silent, all for the engine and the occasional thuds of the car being driven over a hole in the ground; the tension in the air was almost unbearable.

I recognized the name of the street we were turning into as Alex’s street, making my heart quicken with anticipation of what they were going to say to me. She pulled into the driveway, followed by us retreating from the car, and inside her house. It was a rather large house; two stories, four bedrooms, and three baths. She, on the other hand, disagreed.

“Hey mom, I’m home!” she called, ensued by no answer. We departed up the stairs, and into her bedroom; I was immediately trapped by their sickeningly painful glares.

“Cameron, we’re your best friends; you can tell us anything,” Bailey pleaded.

“Seriously, guys; It’s not that big of a deal. Honestly, can’t someone not feel like going home?”

“Yeah, but this is the tenth time in a row, Cameron. We’re just worried is all,” Alex’s words were barely audible, almost like she was afraid to speak; afraid to let me know how she was feeling.

I averted my gaze from the two of them downwards; I couldn’t allow myself to look them in the eye. “I don’t want to talk about it…” I elevated my head, peering up at them like a deer caught in the headlights.

“Fine. But just so you know, Alex and I are always here for you,” Bailey said in an almost whisper; I had to strain my ears to make out what she had said. It was devastatingly hushed for a few moments, and then Alex spoke.

“Okay, to get it on a happier note, Cameron met a boy in the hall today,” a devilish grin sneaking onto her lips. I had almost forgotten about the incident actually; I chuckled as I remembered how foolish I’d acted.

“Wait, what? Where was I?”

“You were already at P.E. because you didn’t feel like waiting for me after English,” I snickered as her expression became rather disappointed.

“Is he hot?” she asked exuberantly. I don’t think there’s any question that she loves to ask more than that one.

Just as I opened my mouth to answer, Alex beat me to it. “I don’t know, you tell me. After all, it was the new kid.” Alex smirked over at her; Bailey’s mouth dropped like an anchor.

“Holy shark, that’s Everett! He’s in my math class, and he’s fucking gorgeous!”

“So his name’s Everett, huh? How unique.”

I tried to conceal my smile, and blushing like a little girl; reminiscing of what took place in the hall was enough to make my stomach do somersaults.

“Ooo, Cameron’s got a crush!” They screamed together. For them, this was a big deal. I’m hardly am ever attracted to someone, much less like them. If it were my way, I would rip love into two pieces, stomp it on the ground, and bury it somewhere where no one will ever think to look. But of course, that wouldn’t be fair to everyone one of those people that are constantly searching for someone to support them, and carry them through life, now would it?

“I never said that! Hell, I didn’t even say he was cute! You guys assume things too much,” I could feel my cheeks glow redder by the second.

“Hey, I’ve got an idea…” Bailey trailed off and pondered for a minute, “What would you do if I dared you to talk to him tomorrow during English?”

Her question caught me off guard; my jaw clenched at the thought of it. “I would say, hell no, not in a million years.”

“Really? I don’t believe that; I can look into your eyes right now, and tell that you frantically want to talk to him.”

“Well then, Bailey, you’re clearly mistaken.” Just then Alex chimed in.

“Cammy, I bet you twenty five bucks that you couldn’t talk to him,” she taunted, a hint mischief in her eye.

“Oh no, I know exactly what you’re trying to do, and it’s not going to work.”

“We’re not trying to do anything, Cammy dear,” they said in unison, their words sprinkling from their mouth like rain.

“Oh please, I’m not stupid you guys.”

“Trust us Cameron; we’re not pulling any funny-business. We just think that you’d never have the courage to talk to him,” they sang brightly.

“I could talk to him if I want—“I cut off my words when I realized they had gotten to me. I knew I shouldn’t take the bet; I knew I should just have dropped the subject, and let them play their immature games. But something in me felt like I would never contain the courage to speak to him if I didn’t.

“What are the rules?” I finally spoke; their faces immediately lighting up with amusement. Alex was the first to speak.

“Well, it has to be a conversation; not just, “Hi”, or something. Don’t even attempt to cheat because Bailey and I are going to be watching.” I pondered over her words for a moment, and lastly came to my conclusion.

“Deal.”
Sign up to rate and review this story