Categories > Original > Romance > Smiles Fade in the Summer

Chapter Three.

by Would_You_Kindly 0 reviews

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres:  - Published: 2009-11-03 - Updated: 2009-11-03 - 1417 words

1Ambiance
writhed within my seat, paranoia conquering me more and more by each second. My eyelids kept forcing themselves closed, and it hurt every time I tried to open them. I had barely gotten any sleep the previous night, wondering what I was going to say to Everett.

So here I am in English, still not knowing what I’m going to talk about with him. Hell, he might not want to talk to me period! Fuck, I never thought of that. What if I tried to have a conversation with him, but he simply ignored me? I’m in deep shit.

“Hey Cameron, we didn’t forget our little deal, now did we?” Bailey’s voice sang in my ears.

“No, I didn’t. I’m nervous as hell though.”

“That’s okay. We’ll be cheering you on,” her lips were graced with a delicate smile. I merely scoffed at the statement.

“Pshh, yeah right. You and Alex are just waiting for me to fail epically and look like a damn idiot.”

“That’s true. But good luck though,” she smiled brightly before returning to her seat as Ms. Miller walked into the room. I glanced over towards Everett’s seat, finding it empty. Relief washed over me, hoping that he wouldn’t show.

Of course, I jinxed myself. My heart practically ripped in two when I saw his tall frame enter through the door, catching a few girls’ eyes as he did so.

“Everett, why are you late?” Ms. Miller’s voice pierced my ear drums.

“Uhh, I don’t know,” he chuckled a little, gaining a few laughs from those around him. I, on the other hand, found it very annoying. It bugged me a lot when someone is disrespectful, especially to adults.

She simply shook her head with irritation, probably thinking, Man, this kid is a douche. I didn’t know that much about him, except that he was a major tease, and a little disrespectful towards teachers… and that he was gorgeous.

“Alright, before I was so rudely interrupted,” she shot her eyes at Everett for a brief moment, “I was saying that you get to talk and do whatever you please today. I have papers to grade that I didn’t have the time to do last night.” My stomach churned, instantly feeling the walls cave in around me. My breath became short, and raspy; I struggled to keep my breathing from turning into panting.

“You sound like a dog trying to jack off; what the hell,” Alex mocked, giggling at the last part, startling me with her hand suddenly being placed on my shoulder.

“I wasn’t trying to sound like a dog, Alex. I’m just nervous is all? God, I should’ve have taken the bet.”

“But the thing is, you did take the bet, and you always follow through with what you promise; you’re not going to start now,” she said, picking me up by my shoulders. I whined softly as she left me to walk over to Bailey, no doubt expecting me to go talk to him now. I officially hate Ms. Miller for giving us free time.

I dragged my feet along the floor, making skid marks as I did so. His frame became closer and closer, as he sat there doodling. I was somewhat thankful that he wasn’t already talking to someone, but it was quickly replaced with other emotions. I stood in front of him for a few moments, confused why he hasn’t noticed I was there. I turned around for help from Alex and Bailey, only to see them laughing themselves to death. Traitors.

I coughed a little, clearing my throat rather loudly, trying to get his attention. He peered up at me towering over him, only because he was sitting down though. I was an ant compared to him when we both were standing up.

“Can I help you?” he inquired, adding a smile as he did so. A lump formed at the bottom of my throat, making my voice sound high-pitched, and squeaky.

“Um, I uh… was just wondering what you were drawing,” I forced a tiny grin on my face. I scratched the back of my head, immediately becoming awkward when he just stared blankly at me for a few moments.

“Nothing really. Just cartoons.”

“Oh… can I see them?” He swiveled his body around, grabbing a chair and setting it up next to him. He patted the bottom of it, signaling me to sit. His fingers glided along the pages, flipping to a random one.

“This is one of my all-time favorites.” I gawked at the picture, a familiar warm, fuzzy sensation forming in my stomach, most commonly known as excitement. I mean, who wouldn’t be? This is insanely adorable. There was a diminutive egg figure with short arms and legs, and big, bulging eyes, looking up at a slug monster saying, ‘Want to be friends?’
I’m sorry, but I’m a sucker for a good cartoon.

“Oh my god, this is good! Look at it, it’s so cute!” I blurted out mindlessly, covering my mouth before I said anything else. He chuckled at my embarrassment, only making it worse.

“Thank you, do you draw?”

“Psh, not in a million years. I suck.” I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

“Oh, well, not everyone is meant to be an artist.”

“Yeah, I guess so.” It got extremely quiet after that, an awkward silence lingering there, taunting us to say something.

“So… what’s the real reason you came over here for?” He asked, just as I was about to walk away.

“Huh?” I questioned, my eyes growing wide with fear, even though there was nothing to truly be afraid of.

“You heard me; why’d you come over here?” He repeated, gazing at me sardonically, propping his head up by his hand.

“I wanted to see what you were draw—“ His look cut me off before I could finish. “Okay, I came over here because my friends over there,” I pointed to them, not bothering to turn around, “think you’re cute, and they wanted me to talk to you. It’s immature; I know.”

His expression tainted itself with bewilderment, obviously finding what I had said stupid, and quite frankly, a bit creepy.

“Okay then. That’s not creepy at all,” he said sarcastically, gazing over shoulder at them.

“Trust me though; they’re not that weird once you get to know them. I guess I’ve become immune to it,” I giggled nervously.

His cocked his head to one side, grinning wildly. “What’s your name again?”
“Cameron. And, you’re Everett. The red-head told me,” I said pointing at Bailey. He nodded his head in understanding, a little freaked out again.

“Okay then, that saves me the trouble of introducing myself I guess,” he laughed.
There was an awkward silence again, stirring my stomach in discomfort. Abruptly, his head shot up with a toothy grin plastered on his face.

“I know I just met you and all, but you’re the only person that’s stopped and actually had a conversation with me, that’s not about my piercings; I got invited to this party tomorrow, and was wondering if you could go with me.” He paused, waiting for a reply, but I was too shocked to say anything.

“Oh, as a friend of course,” he added, blushing a little.
He wanted me to go to a party with him? I just met him though. God, this day is taking a weird turn.

Finally, with a hesitant and shaky sigh, I nodded.

“Yay! Thank you so much, you’re a life saver!” he squealed, hugging me tightly for brief moment. I tensed by the sudden gesture, but also inhaled his sweet, masculine scent for that one second. It rushed to my head, making me sway from the unexpected high. I sprang to my feet rapidly, my heart skipping two beats as the lion-like bell sounded. Everett grabbed his bag, slinging it over his shoulder in one swift motion, starting for the door.

“Wait!” I called out, gaining his attention. “Is there going to be alcohol there?”

He rolled his eye from my idiotic question, “Duh.”

That oh so familiar lump grew back in the pit of my throat; I attempted to swallow it, but it was already too swollen.

This was going to be a long day; I could feel it.
Sign up to rate and review this story