Categories > Original > Romance > Smiles Fade in the Summer

Chapter Five.

by Would_You_Kindly 1 review

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres:  - Published: 2009-11-03 - Updated: 2009-11-03 - 1037 words

1Ambiance
I stared up at the ceiling for another thirty minutes, waiting for myself to calm down. I would’ve tried to take soothing breaths, but that wouldn’t help with a problem like this. All I could do was wait impatiently.

A sigh of ease departed from my lips as I feel myself relax against my jeans. I lift myself from the soft bed, and start for the door. I had no intentions of staying here; I was tired, hungry, light-headed, and a little pissed.

I passed by a few people in the hallway, politely smiling at them, with no reply. I simply rolled my eyes; no need to get angrier with someone I don’t know. I walked briskly down the staircase, wincing slightly by the music. I gazed out into the living room, currently known as the “dance floor”, and saw Everett. He was laughing, grinding his hips with some girl, and I could feel my hearts sink to the pit of my abdomen, and I stopped dead in my tracks. A guy behind me bumped into me, and I stumbled off balance.

“Sorry, I didn’t see you there—Cameron? I didn’t know that you were coming,” he said, smiling a little. I regained composure enough to identify him as Dominique; he’s in my p.e. class.

“Yeah, I got invited. Shocker, huh?” I mustered up a small giggle, and looked down.

“Do you want to get something to drink?”

Geez, what’s with people asking me that?

“Actually, I was just leaving, but thanks for the offer.” He gave me a confused look, and I didn’t stay for a response. I weaved my way through the crowds of people, not caring who I shoved anymore.

I stepped outside in the dark, secluded area, the wind smacking my body unmercifully. I folded my arms tightly together alongside my chest, trying to hold onto some body-warmth that I had left in me. I dragged my feet along the dirty pavement, producing an annoying scuffing noise. I had made the biggest mistake ever coming to that party; all it had done was bring me much unneeded grief.

Every intake of breath came out struggled against the cold, appearing like smoke from my lips. I shuddered as a gust of wind slapped my skin; I couldn’t wait to be in the kindness of my bed.

I turned onto the familiar street, and had to only walk two houses down to reach mine. The lights were still on upstairs, which meant my dad was probably busy finishing his work.

I slid the unlocked door open, and was thankful that my dad had kept the heat on inside. I scrambled up the stairs, and opened the door to the office.

“Hey dad. I’m home.”

“So soon? I thought I told you that your curfew was midnight,” he slipped off his reader glasses, and gave me a weird look.

“I know, but the party was lame, so I decided to come home.”

“Okay, then. Are you going to bed?”

“Yeah, that’s what I came up here to tell you.”

“Okay, goodnight. Love you,” he smiled, and continued with his work.

---

I curled my toes in the sand under my feet, the mist of ocean water sprinkling against my cheeks. Dark, ominous clouds loomed overhead, threatening to ruin this perfect moment with its harsh droplets of water. A buoy out in the water rocked vigorously back and forth by the sudden change of wind velocity. I shuddered as the bell resting on it sounded again and again; every time it rang out, the echo of each call remained in the dense air.

“Cameron…” I heard the voice from afar, whispering my name repetitively. My body tensed at the voice, too petrified to turn around.

“Cameron…” the voice whispered again, only a little louder. It was coming closer each time, reaching me in a matter of seconds. “Cameron… Honey…” her hot breath licked my neck, stinging it with its cruel touch.

My body turned ever so slowly, eyes growing broader by each passing second. Her features were angelic and divine, eyes so sweet and kind, but it was nothing more than a trap.

“Get away! I hate you!” I yell, but it only comes out a muffled sound. She grins and commences to amble towards my body, her pallid, long robe bending in the wind. I try to move, get up, do something to get out of her reach, but my feet are nailed to the ground. I am immobile.

“Stay right there Cameron. Be a good boy,” her words are as sweet as honey, flowing from her mouth fluidly.

I thrashed in my stuck position, more and more by each passing second, my heart rate increasing unhealthily. She kneeled down, becoming eye-level with me, and I stop breathing. She extended her arm to touch my cheek, but I cowered away. She only persisted further, and grazed my cheek gently. I flinched at her contact, and smacked her hand away from my face. A look of utter disappointment filled her once lively face, and she backs away imposingly.

She staggered over the rocks behind her, and fell pathetically to the ground. Her body began to convulse violently, coughing up blood repeatedly. Her formerly affectionate, viridian eyes began to vanish before me, replacing itself with ebony, vacant holes of nothingness. Her mouth was parted a tad, and kept moving in an inaudible manner.

“Why’d you do this to me, Cameron? All I ever tried to do is love you; why, Cameron, why?” her words were overflowing with confusion, and distress, pleading for an answer. But that’s the problem. I don’t have an answer. I don’t know why I killed her. It wasn’t my fault…

Her now lifeless carcass laid there, peering up at me expectedly. I fell to my knees facing her, running my hand on her arm, only to snap it back with an agonizing pain. I stared horrified at my deteriorating skin on my hands, crimson liquid coursing down my arms. Her corpse gradually became transparent, drifting down to the fiery flames of hell.

It wasn’t my fault…
Sign up to rate and review this story