Categories > Original > Romance > Smiles Fade in the Summer

Chapter Six.

by Would_You_Kindly 1 review

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2009-11-07 - Updated: 2009-11-07 - 671 words

0Unrated
The sounds of worn out sneakers screeching against the hard-wood flooring, and various shouts filled the oppressive gym air. I glanced lethargically around the large room, not paying any heed to my current volleyball game I was being forced to participate in.

P.E. was the only class that I could care less about; all you had to do was stretch, and pretend to play a sport. Not much effort needed. Besides, I couldn’t concentrate, even if I tried. It had been two days since the party, and I couldn’t get Everett out of my head. He wasn’t here today in English, but I was a little glad about that, only so I don’t have to endure the awkwardness. Not to mention, it was a Monday, and Monday’s are never good days for me.

“Cameron, pick it up!” Mr. Peters thundered, rattling my very bones. I jolted from the sudden roar, and gained a mocking laugh from him. Typical; he always thought I was gay.

I turned my head around, simply ignoring his idiotic statement. I gazed vacantly at my foot tapping to an unknown beat in my head, not knowing exactly what I was doing.

“Cameron, look out!” Alex’s words rang in my ears, prior to a sharp, agonizing pain shooting through my skull. My vision slowly faded into black around the edges, and random words around me slowly died away, and were only low, inaudible mumbles.

Darkness surrounded my vision, and I couldn’t see, or hear, anything; only feel. I felt the cold panels beneath me, and a worried hand placed on my shoulder. I felt eyes staring down at me; some menacing, and some worried. I felt myself blinking, trying to rid myself of the darkness, but it remained there, untouched.

Gradually, I could see blurred images of lights on the gym ceiling, and different faces bordering me.

“Cameron? Cameron! Can you hear me?” Alex and Bailey’s words sang in unison. I didn’t say anything for a while, just peered up at them, dazed and confused. Finally, their words hit me, and I nodded slowly, squinting and sitting up.

“Oh thank goodness!” Bailey clung herself to me, and kissed my cheek repetitively. I just patted her back lightly, and chuckled.

“Ahem.” I turned about to see Mr. Peters hovering over me like a tower. “I’m sending you to the nurse’s office to get ice. Be back shortly,” he spat, eyeing my up and down with disgust. If there was one thing he could hate more than anything, it was a guy who wasn’t good at sports; he is such a sexist pig.

“Whatever.” I headed through the double doors of the gym, and down the white-tiled corridor. It was barren and silent, except for the occasional squeak of my converse. The gym wasn’t that far from the nurse’s office, and I got there within two minutes.

Of course, she asked what happened and I explained that I wasn’t paying attention, and got hit in the head with a ball; she couldn’t stop laughing at me. Even when I was outside of her office I could still hear her manic giggles; what a freak.

I wasn’t looking forward to going back to P.E. and suffering through the torturous game we all know as, Volleyball. So instead of going back, “as soon as possible”, I ambled through the lone hallways, sometimes stopping to look out a large window. I thought about my dream again, and shuddered slightly. That face was still sinister as ever.

I sat on a bench for a few moments but decided to return to gym, since there were ten minutes left of class, and Mr. Peters lets us in around that time. I started down the hall, hearing my shoes annoying squeak as I went.

Abruptly, I felt a strong hand grasp my bony shoulder, and pull me into the nearest janitor’s closet with a loud yelp.
Sign up to rate and review this story