Categories > Original > Humor > London Calling

London Calling

by BodaggusMCR27 0 reviews

a story of the bitter antics of a girl a boy and a dog (mostly a girl....a vain girl) journeys to hear there everywhere and overcoming the undeserving and showing them they suck. join me wont you??

Category: Humor - Rating: R - Genres: Humor - Published: 2009-11-12 - Updated: 2009-11-12 - 1429 words

0Unrated
I woke up on a beautifully rainy Thursday knowing that this would be the day that would change my life. It would just be another day to anyone else, but this is the day I have been waiting for. This was the day I would finally get my promotion. After all of my years of hard and thankless work in retail at American Eagle, I would be the manager I deserve to be. I took a shower slowly, making sure to be extra squeaky clean (and because I woke up to early out of excitement). I then attempted to rip a brush through my hair which resembled a birds nest more then my long thick brown hair. I dressed in my most mature looking American Eagle outfit and brushed my teeth. I couldn’t even think about stopping for breakfast at this point; the drive over there would be torture enough let alone the thought of stopping somewhere. My palms were clammy and I was positively jittery when I sat in my car. The steady whooshing of the windshield wipers calmed me down as the beat of the rain plummeted on the car at suicidal speeds.
The parking lot at work was empty. The mall had a couple more hours before it opened for business although, no one really comes to an outdoor mall on days like today. I pulled the hood of my raincoat over my head and briskly walked to the front doors. I knocked loudly, wondering if they could hear me. Danielle, the store manager, came hopping to the door like a bunny rabbit on crack. “Heyyyy” she said, welcoming me in from the cold. She must have picked up on my giddy mood already.
Shortly after my arrival, other coworkers began to show up. We took our seats around the managers and a few of us were more then egger to begin. We have been competing for this management position for a while now, but I’m certain I have it in the bag. I smile triumphantly,looking at all the other poor suckers, knowing there is no possible way they could...
“And I’m proud to announce the new position is going to... Judson!”
..........
Come again?
Do you want to repeat yourself?
Everyone is starting to get up and hug now but I’m heavy in my seat. This can’t be happening. Danielle looks at me and smiles, mouthing the word ‘sorry’ to me.
You bitch! You knew this was happening! I felt a warm sensation rise in throat like hot garbage. My stomach twisted itself into knots and summersaulted upside down as if it were as furious as I was, wanting to lunge out and attack. How could you think Judson was a good choice? He has only been here three months and doesn’t know half of what I know. He's a moron! An idiot! I couldn’t handle this heartfelt moment any longer so I did the immature thing and walked out. The rain continued to pelt down on me but why should I care, I was only going to go home and cry my problems onto my pillow. My pillow didn’t know it yet, but we were in for a long night of hugging with a container of ice cream to polish off. I plop in my car and stare out into the sheets of water on my windshield. My phone vibrated in my lap and its a number I don’t recognize. On a normal day I wouldn’t answer, but this wasn’t just any old day remember, so I did.
“This is huge embarrassing failure speaking, if you are calling on behalf of my latest huge embarrassing failure, please stay on the line.”
“Tara?” A familiar voice asked.
“Dreama?” It was the district manager. “If you’re calling to fire me, that would just be the icing on this crap cake.”
“I’m not calling to fire you, thats not something I would do on the phone. Can we meet up somewhere? Maybe grab a coffee?” She questioned, probably a little nervous about the tone of my voice.
“Depends, are you going to fire me in person?” I was being cautious. She giggled.
“No. You are NOT fired. So I will meet you at you’re mall to talk in thirty minutes? Don’t do anything drastic until I get there.”
“I wont. See you soon Dreama.” I hung up and began to wonder. Why does she want to talk to me? Maybe she’s going to tell me she’s firing Danielle because she a dirty witch and I’m going to take her job because I’m better than her at everything! Of course, thats just me being sour, but who am I to stifle my own creative mind. I pulled down my visor mirror and tried to flatten out my haystack hair again.
There was only one coffee shop around here so I had no trouble finding the place. I took the seat closest to the window and pretended to read an out of date TV Guide that sat on the table. I glanced outside frequently and pondered what this meeting could be about. There was soft music playing in the background that sounded like symphony of generic elevator soundtracks combine with the smooth sounds of bad jazz.
I don’t normally drink coffee but out of professionalism, I thought it would be a classy thing to have a coffee for myself and one waiting for Dreama. I played her secretary for a while when I first started so I knew she liked a venti pumpkin spice lattes with no whip and as for me a soy latte would have to be the way. (I’m lactose; I don’t enjoy soy, I have to have it.)
As I turned back to the table, Dreama had just entered.
“Awe, for me?” she asked in a playful manner. I smiled and handed her her drink. “Mmm, it’s just how I like it.” She set it down on the table to cool a little more. I haven’t even attempted to sip mine yet. Steam and myself are not friends. “So,” she began.
“So.” I answered.
“So I imagine you’re not to happy about the turn of events.” Good job, you nailed it.
“It’s just, how could you approve Judson? He’s so worthless. He’ll do nothing but sink our store.”
Dreama smiled and I didn’t get why.
“Well, there had been a small change of plans. I approved Judson because he was going to be your replacement.”
Now I was completely lost. I’m I being fired? Why am I being replaced? I couldn’t describe the expression on my face but I’m guessing it was priceless because it made Dreama laugh.
“How would you like to not only be a manager, but a store manager?” She asked.
Was Danielle REALLY being fired!? Holy crap, my imagination was coming alive!
“What?” That was all my lips could manage to say. Dreama began fidgeting with the lid of the cup, trying to find a way to find a way to present this opportunity to me.
“ We have opened up a flagship store in London. Its a big step to opening up some international business. Its going to be major; you’re going to need to hire associates, managers, and you need to prepare the store for opening day. We’re predicting it to be an extremely busy first week and record breaking sales the first year. Are you willing to take this?”
I didn’t know what to say. This was huge; to big to be announcing to me in a coffee shop really. My emotions were mixed.
“When you say‘I’ need to hire all these people, does that mean... I’m going to be a store manager? right?”
“Yes, That is the deal.”
Oh my God. Am I being punked? This is all happening so fast. I just have to keep my cool.
“I’m going to say yes right now, but I need some serious time to think about this first.”
“Take all the time you need and get back to me.” Dreama place a tip in the tip jar at the counter and walked out.
So much just happened right now.
Today has already been a roller coaster of emotion and its only eleven thirty. After thinking long and hard about this for about seven minutes I call her back.
“I’ll do it.”
Sign up to rate and review this story