Categories > Original > Fantasy > A Kingdom Divided

Introduction To A Life Style

by sabeybaby 0 reviews

Introduction of the main characters and an overview of the four kingdoms.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Published: 2006-04-12 - Updated: 2008-08-29 - 3175 words

0Unrated
Once upon a time, in a world where dreams were reality, where fantasy was truth and the impossible was possible, there was a kingdom divided. It had been a mighty kingdom at one time, but the diversity of it's peoples destroyed the simple peace that lay between them and soon war erupt between them. Four kingdoms now existed, shared by people both civilized and uncivilized. The mightiest of these four kingdoms were the Northern and the Southern Kingdoms. The two kingdoms were separated by a great valley that spread between them; it was acknowledged as neutral territory. The Northern Kingdom was ruled by the most beautiful of Queens, the Vampiress Laurel. Her auburn locks and hazel eyes had bewitched many victims, and her feminine figure earned her quality lovers. Using her beauty as a weapon, the Lady ruled with an iron fist and was quick to destroy all who opposed her reign. The Southern Kingdom however, was quite the thorn in her side. Only her steadfast companion Lady Belle kept her from declaring war with the werewolves.

The Southern Kingdom was dominated by werewolves. Not to say that they did not have other species inhabiting the kingdom, but they were always in the minority. The werewolves were a loosely ruled bunch, most of the laws that were placed were merely guide lines to the life they should live. Their Highest ruler was King Thanyel, a burly, broad shouldered werewolf with fur the shade of the darkest tree bark. His eyes were a gleaming brown that cut deep into a person's soul, to see the truths that they hid. When not in his wolf form, he played the quiet part, letting his second in command, Ian Innis speak for him. The red-haired adviser took those moments as the next step towards a future of ruling above all, including the King himself. Oftentimes, it was King Thanyel who had to hold the younger werewolf back from starting more fights with the auburn-haired Queen.

The two kingdoms living in constant tension, neither would give in, and neither could win. The Vampire Queen did her best to keep the peace in her kingdom but the constant outbreaks of fights instigated by both kingdoms left them all in a state of restlessness. The Vampire Queen constantly would ask advice of her most loyal believer in her cause, the Lady Belle. She was a dancer in the Queen's court, but she was uncannily knowledgeable in the King of Werewolves affairs, and could easily slip behind enemy lines to spy on the werewolves. Many years past, the young vampiress had been cursed to live a double life. Vampiress by night, dragon by day. She had earned a fearsome role in all four kingdoms and took nearly every opportunity to enforce her power.

Beyond these first two kingdoms were the High Mountains kingdom and the Silver Waters kingdom. The East and the West. The High Mountains were inhabited by fierce, flaming dragons of all shades of the rainbow. Elves were also rumored to exist in the deepest woods, but elves were rarely seen in present times and were passed off as myth rather than reality. Occasionally a person could see flames licking the horizon from dragons defending their territories from the elusive Griffins, but the fires eventually faded and the land would quiet again. There was no hierarchy or government of any sort in the High Mountains, it was a first come, first serve society ruled by brutality and animal instinct. Villains and bounty hunters prospered in the anonymity, but one exiled vampires could not abide the peace and chose at every opportunity to start riots and mobs to spite her former queen. The blonde vampiress was known as Mirageia: death, trickery, deposed royalty. It was her life's work to destroy all prospects of peace.

The Silver Waters kingdom was similar to the High Mountains kingdom in the fact that there was no distinct royalty to control the inhabitants, but that fact has never hindered the kingdom. This kingdom, is the largest of them all. Deep oceans of the finest shade of silver reached as far as the eye could see and beyond. Interspersed lay various islands of different shapes and sizes. A person could never be to careful however, as some of these islands were indeed false. The Devil Whale, once thought a myth, soon proved it's reality when a dragon set off a fire on one's back and was consumed by the enormous creature. The size of small islands, their backs were deceptive plains of comfort. Of course, an ocean kingdom could not be complete without Sea Serpents and Mermaids and the Silver Waters kingdom could not bear to disappoint. The largest serpent ever recorded was named Thor after the god of thunder because when he soared from the air to dive into his watery home, his snout piercing the waters made a sound similar to the crack of thunder. He was a giant at seventy feet. Mermaids were also creatures of the deep and sought to snare victims of the land because despite their pleasant appearances, they were actually quite nasty creatures who were jealous of the land creatures.

These four kingdoms lived in states of tentative peace. All were aware that the peace could not last unless a treaty was formed, but no one was willing to make the first step. Others chose to ignore the mounting tension and live their lives as though they were not involved. The days remained quiet until one night changed the course of history.

OoOoOoOoOoOo

Lady Laurel walked slowly down her halls. Crimson carpets lay before her, raven walls filled with paintings of past royal family members surrounded her. Her long, auburn hair gently swayed behind her, not with held by any bindings. Hazel eyes followed blood drips on the floor, they were barely seen but when her sight failed her, her keen sense of smell led her way. Laurel waved her hand servant away as they neared her, she didn't need any distractions. The blood drips on the floor were getting larger with every step she took, her eyes squinted as she tried to keep her focus intact. Coming upon a door she reached for the handle and slowly opened the door. Finding herself in her loyal adviser's room, curiosity filled her mind.

"Lady Belle?" She softly called out, her voice echoing hollowly in the room. Suddenly, her brain caught up to what her eyes viewed. The simply covered emerald walls were coated in hand print blood patterns. Drips of the dark red fluid gorged from the bodies of unwilling victims seemed to haunt her every time she blinked. Ruby lips fought to contain the tearful sob that threatened to emerge. Calmly collecting her wits about her, the Queen inspected the room with an objective eye. She let her unemotional side take over and allowed her exquisite sense of smell find the clues to her dearest friend's location. She breathed deep, the cloying smell of blood flooded her senses but beneath it was the undeniable, womanly scent of Belle.

"Belle, speak to me." She used what Belle referred to as her 'royalty voice.'

"Laurel, I'm here." Lady Belle's usually strong voice was riddled with pain and was uncertain. The vampiress swiftly rounded the decadent bed to discover the brunette laying in a puddle of blood on the floor. She dropped to her knees beside her friend and placed a soft hand on Belle's cheek.

"What happened?" She inquired. Only in her friend's presence would she dare to lower her guard and speak with true compassion.

"Ambush, Wolfy's on his guard." She gasped out. Her normally hazel eyes held the distant echo of her dragon form's green orbs. But beneath the brilliant colors was the definite shine of pain.

"You're healing slower than normal, explain." The queen demanded, seeking the answers to the strange blue liquid glowing in her friend's wounds. Belle groaned when she shifted slightly but answered nonetheless.

"New weapon, they're fighting dirty." She admitted softly before gritting her teeth to fight the pain. Sharp incisors pierced the thin flesh of her pink lips. Laurel wasted no more time with questions, choosing instead to reach down and lift the curvy woman into her arms. Her friend was quite deceptive in looks; a soft, rounded body led one to believe she was heavy, but the truth lay beneath the curves and one would soon find lithe muscle that made her lighter than expected. Long strides removed her from the room and she was well on her way to Sloan's laboratory. Sloan was the untitled doctor that Laurel kept on hand, just in case. He had been a mentor to her when she was first changed and she greatly valued his opinions.

"Sloan!" Laurel called his name, urgency seeping into her voice. The black haired doctor came rushing out of a separate room, he ran a hand through his dark hair and peered at the vampiress in his Queen's arms with speculative blue eyes.

"My lady," He greeted, taking a short bow before carefully removing the wounded woman from her arms, "I suppose I know what you require of me." He sent her a sly smile. His eerie calm left Laurel feeling slightly displaced in the situation, but she was quick to recover.

"I found her injured in her room, she's healing slower than usual. Heal her, then I want you to find out what those bloody werewolves are using as weapons nowadays." She gave the doctor a look that said more than words ever could. His smile merely widened before he ushered her out of the room.

"Let me work in peace my Queen, your dearest friend is in good hands with me." He guided her with gentle hands before shutting the oak doors behind her. Laurel gazed worriedly at the wide doors for a brief moment before stepping away silently. On the way back to her throne room, she paused to order several servants to clean up the mess in Belle's room. Satisfied that everything was taken care of, she settled herself onto the soft throne and began to work on several matters of state that had been waiting for quite some time. She the next few hours would be slow.

OoOoOoOoOoOo

Silence greeted Belle when she awoke. Grogginess filled her mind, making her eye sight blurry when she opened her eyes. Hazel eyes peered listlessly around the familiar room. Raising her arms above her head she stretched, feeling the pull of stomach muscles, she ceased movement. Remembrance filled her as she lay quietly. Footsteps could be heard approaching and she glanced towards the door as it opened. Sloan smiled warmly when he saw she was awake.

"Sweet One, how do you feel?" His kind words filled the vampiress with contentment. Belle's head felt heavy, her eyesight foggy.

"A little blurry, my senses feel," She paused to ponder the appropriate word, "thickened, cloudy." The blue eyed vampire chuckled.

"Was that not to be expected? You have been through some very serious fights in your time, but this tumble trumps the rest." The fact that he was acknowledging this was the worst she had ever been wounded did not surprise her.

"You know me Sloan, can't seem to stay out of trouble." He smirked at her before running a hand through her soft, brown hair.

"My Sweet One, I have told you time and time again to take care of yourself, to avoid being sent back to this lab, and yet," He pursed his lips playfully, "you always end up back in my care. When will you learn child?" He moved to check her wounds. His hands were sure and checked each wound she had received.

"Will I live?" Belle's sarcasm earned her a frown and a light slap to the cheek. He shook his head slowly and had a grim look on his face.

"No, you will die." The dry humor was a joke between them and the dark haired woman laughed loudly. The sound of the door opening and quick footsteps coming close gave Belle inspiration to turn her head towards the door. Seeing Laurel come rushing into the room, hazel eyes wide with worry, had her smiling softly.

"Belle?" Laurel's voice was hushed, as if she was afraid her friend would break from loud noise. Belle smirked.

"Bad news, I've only got twenty four hours to live." Laurel paused for a moment in shock before a teasing grin slid across Belle's face. The queen shook her head and sighed before coming over to embrace her friend.

"How are you feeling?" The taller vampiress asked her injured counterpart. A nonchalant shrug was her answer.

"As best as possible in this situation. When would you like to talk?" The question had a double meaning to the two women, but still left the doctor unaware. Belle's trips into the Southern kingdom were not revealed to the public because of her needed double identity. They had a great need for her dragon form and could not take the chance to accidentally reveal her true self.

"As soon as you feel up to it." Laurel carefully glanced over her friend's wounds to see if any of them were still bleeding, only to find that they had mostly been sealed.

"Anytime you need me Oh Queen." Belle slid off the table and took a bow, mocking her friend's royalty. A gentle smack on the arm from Laurel and they both were laughing softly.

"I'll be back later to talk, for now, just focus on getting better." With that said, the soft-bodied woman twirled around and exited the room in a wave of delicate red robes.

OoOoOoOoOoOo

Over the Southern Mountains, into another kingdom all together, Master Thanyel, King of Werewolves, sat in his throne, overseeing his court. Below him he could see the dancers doing their best to entertain him, but his attention was not drawn to them today. Instead his mind kept on focusing on the intrusions in his kingdom. Lately, there had been some dragon sightings, not to mention dead werewolves kept showing up around the area. With a wave of his hand the music ceased and the dancers fled the court. Glaring at his assistants, they also fled the room. All that was left now was his most loyal advisor, Ian Innis.

"Something is not right Ian." Thanyel stated as he glanced around his court. "The kingdom is a-light with whispers of death and flaming fury." He stepped off his throne and down his stairs, black robs dragging on the floor behind him.

"What do you suspect Thanyel?" Ian followed behind his King, red hair lighting up in the flickering lantern light.

"I'm not sure." The two men exited the court swiftly, walking onto the balcony connected to it. Together, they looked over the landscape. Jagged, sloping mountains were the majority if Thanyel's kingdom, and they were covered in thick amounts of trees. Caves littered these mountains, and the occasional dragon would pick a home in one. To keep back the amounts of dead werewolves popping up, Thanyel had put up an anti-dragon law. Unfortunately, the dragons didn't always do as they were told and continued to live in their caves in his mountains.

On one such mountain tonight, a dark red dragon lit up the night sky in an astonishing display of power. It's long wings were covered in tough scales, which glittered in the night sky tantalizingly. From their view point, Thanyel and Ian could see werewolves leaping towards the dragon, trying to pin it down with their sharp claws and fierce growls. With one powerful smack of a wing, three werewolves were tossed aside.

"This is getting ridiculous Ian, bring the dragon to the front gate." With a quick nod, Ian acknowledged his King's command and left the room. Thanyel's brown eyes watched carefully as Ian left the castle with an entourage of werewolves and headed towards the mountain. Losing interest, the king went to his private room and changed into more appropriate clothing. Sweeping his thick, brown hair into a tight ponytail behind his head, he finished up his outfit with his crown made of platinum. Looking towards his mirror lightly, he saw his own reflection and approved of his outfit. In a flash of black robes, Thanyel left his room and headed towards the front gate.

He arrived just in time to see Ian get smacked aside by the dragon. The other werewolves struggled to keep the dark red dragon pinned down. They had wrapped it in chains, their muscles straining to keep it grounded. Thanyel chuckled at the sight before approaching the dragon, brown eyes locking with slanted blue ones.

"Cease this foolishness. What is your name dragon?" Thanyel's voice was commanding, echoing in the mountains. The sun had just started setting so the area was slowly darkening. The large dragon tossed it's head back, throwing the werewolves that held it down behind it.

"I am Fal'lyn," The dragon spoke telepathically, werewolf and dragon mind connecting. "of the Ignatius clan." Thanyel grinned, then bowed in welcome.

"Welcome to my kingdom Fal'lyn of the Ignatius clan, I am Thanyel, King of Werewolves." The dark red dragon stared at the king, blue eyes shining.

"Thank you." Her eyes narrowed. "Why have I been dragged out of my home by these ruffians?" Her sharp teeth clicked together as she snarled at Thanyel.

"I am sorry that they were not kinder, however there is a law in my land against dragons." Fal'lyn reeled back in anger at his words, "Though the law is not wrongly placed! Many times have I had to explain to families why their son or daughter was killed by a dragon, and how come I can hardly do a thing about it." The strongly built king stood still in the cold air.

"Never once have I hunted a werewolf!" Fal'lyn screamed telepathically, outraged that they thought she was a murderer, "I hunt the wild beasts of the area!"

"I do not usually have pity on trespassers, but in this case I do believe I'll let you stay." He paused momentarily and watched the dragon for her reaction. "However, should I find any more killings in this area you will quickly be escorted from my kingdom. I will place you in the care of my Beast Master, Broderick. He will take care of your every need." Thanyel bowed to the dragon and watched her nod her head towards him before leaving the front gate and entering his castle. Ian quickly followed after the werewolf, robes flapping behind him.

"You're allowing a dragon in the kingdom?!" The red haired high adviser sounded outraged at the thought of sharing a home with another species. Thanyel turned around abrubtly to stare at his adviser with cruel eyes.

"Yes, and you'd do well to obey my commands and not rebel." With that said, the king fled the scene to rest in his quarters for the remainder of the night.

OoOoOoOoOoOo
Sign up to rate and review this story