Categories > Movies > Star Wars > Star Wars: Cylon Awakening

Phyrric Imperial Victory

by Albeios 0 reviews

Category: Star Wars - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2010-02-20 - Updated: 2010-02-20 - 2327 words - Complete

1Original
“Come on princess!” Shouted the corellian smuggler as the base shook again. TIE Fighters had been reportedly bombarding the general area with laser blasts from their chin guns. X-Wings were up and flying, taking them out, but many more were assigned to protecting the transports. There was a huge quake that sent him and the alderaanian tumbling to the floor. A moment later the ceiling came down. Dragging himself out, he pulled a frazzled Princess Leia out of the snow, ice, and rock.

Behind them, a cluttered C-3PO made his way as fast he could after them, calling out for them to wait for him.

“The whole hallways been downed,” called out Han as he punched in the pass code to a door nearby. It beeped, and it hissed open, just as the entire complex shook again. The smuggler grabbed ahold of the open door for support and helped the princess in. The protocol droid clattered after them, shuffling his metal feet away.

A pair of stormtroopers fired at them, their blaster rifles spraying deadly bolts. Two precise green shots nailed them in the helmets, with a rewarding roar from a crouched wookie. The smuggler and the alderaanian princess scrambled into the freighter as a squad of stormtroopers took cover behind wreckage of another freighter, firing their weapons uselessly against the thicker armor of the modified craft. Another squad took up position next to them and began piecing together a tripod and a large heavy rotary gun.

Han rushed into his pilot's seat and began switching things on, powering up the vessel. Chewbacca roared something.

“They're setting up an E-Web,” translated Han as he reached over a console.

“If they shoot the Falcon with that thing,” started Leia.

“Princess, this ship's got a few surprises of her own,” he said as he pressed a button.

A panel on the forward section of the YT-1300's belly opened up. A small blaster turret opened up on the surprised imperials, cutting them down faster than they could return fire. The crew of the E-Web took cover as their own turret was blown apart. Fragments of the gun were blasted everywhere.

“Engines are at full power,” cheered Solo as he retracted the landing gear and fired up the afterburners. He caught sight of the Darth himself as his cockpit whipped past an opening of the hangar bay. Their victory could only be savored for the moment as they saw the carnage being waged in the air. Rebel X-Wings supported by silvery droid fighters and a huge ship ascending into the air, it's flat star-like arms linked together by a sturdy pylon. Streaks of missiles swatted away screaming TIE Fighters like so many annoying flies.

They watched as a squadron of TIEs were swarmed by those droid fighters, peppering them with streams of KEWs.

“Lucky for Luke to pull this out for us, eh, Princess?” Quipped Han as he angled the Millennium Falcon into the skies. Leia watched as a plume of ice shot from a crater in the snow, revealing another emerging ship. This one was a double disc design, it too was firing away with volley after volley of missiles. A huge wing-like fighter nearly half the size of the size of the the Falcon joined them, along with several Y-Wings.

“Hey, Han,” said a familiar voice over the speaker, “Feel like getting outta here?”

“Sure do, farm boy,” chuckled the smuggler as he prepped for hyperspace, "I see you've got a big heavy fighter to yourself. Sure you can handle it?"

The small flotilla of Basestars and Raiders escorted the Rebels out, keeping pace with the Y-Wings and fending off encroaching TIE Fighters. Up ahead, two Star Destroyers hung in space, one almost completely devoid of life.

The remaining starship swung about and began to fire.

Captain Needa watched as one of those odd starships were promptly blown apart with a concentrated salvo of turbolaser fire.

The ground attack had been a devastatingly costly one, and was still be partially waged as the rebels evacuated what personnel had been left groundside. The Corruptor had been disabled completely, and were in the middle of repairing the shield generators when this group of ships appeared.

“Darth Vader wants that freighter, the corellian one,” he called out, “As soon as it comes within range, capture it with the tractor beam. Destroy everything else.”

They continued pouring fire into the thin star-shaped craft. From long range sensors, the ship was unshielded, lightly armored, and slow. Why would the rebels construct such weak ships? Were they perhaps unfinished? Either way, those ships would be suffering an explosive fate soon enough.

“Squadron launched sir,” said an officer, “Additional fighters are coming from the flagship, sir.”

“Good, focus fire on that double disc-”

“Sir, We've been targeted by the rebel's planetary ion cannon!” Interrupted another officer at his station.

Needa's eyes bulged and frantically called out, “Evasive maneuvers!”

The star destroyer swung about by thirty degrees, two of three of the ionic bolts missed, but the other struck the warship, knocking out it's shielding and killing off two of it's main sublight engines. Weapons flickered and died, fuses exploded as ermegency generators stuttered to life. With it's underbelly shown to the rapidly approaching rebels and it's weapons systems offline, the warship was helpless. Unable to defend itself or move out of the way. It was a sitting duck as the ships opened fire.

Hundreds of thousands of missiles streaked across the void to impact upon it's armor. Numerous flashes of bright yellow stars blinked into existence and died as numerous city-killing nuclear warheads detonated against the star destroyer.

By the time the explosions had died, the Imperial Star Destroyer's underside has been ravaged and completely destroyed. It's belly hangar bay was on fire. Two nukes had blown up inside of it, ripping a hole through the other end and through the other side. Nearby the Corruptor suffered the same fate, though not with the intensity it's ally had taken, killing whatever communications and systems they had left running.

“Go on ahead, Han, we'll meet up with you at the rendezvous.”

“I'll see you there Skywalker,” said Han as he pulled the level for launching them into hyperspace.

Sparks cascaded all over the cockpit, with several consoles blowing out. A low groan and the sound of something exploding made the smuggler wince. The smell of burnt wiring and plastic filled the cockpit. Chewbacca gave a low roar as he banged his furry arms against his console. Lights flickered as the motivator gave a single crack and died.

“Oops.”

“Oops?” repeated Leia, her jaw clenched and nerve twitching visibly. For a sweet faced woman, it remarkable how terrifyingly easy to suddenly look like an angry krayt dragon.

Chewie whimpered and shifted away from Han.

“Master Solo,” chirped C3PO brightly, “Perhaps I should get Artoo to try and fix the hyperdrive?”

“You go ahead and do that,” mumbled Solo as he tried not to look at the glowering princess behind him.

Luke's voice crackled over the comms.

“Um, whats going on Han?”

“Hyperdrive motivator seems to have gone and died on us,” grumbled Han, "We're stuck until we get it fixed."

Luke felt like banging his head against the wall. A Centurion turned it's head towards him, it's helmet-shaped head tilting, "Perhaps we can render assistance to the Millennium Falcon."

It was by now that the Imperials had finally taken notice of them, and a whole full squadron of TIE Fighters had come screaming towards them, swarming the Basestars and their raiders. Explosions rippled across the void as missiles and laser fire filled it all up. The Falcon blasted away at a fighter, turning the eyeball into a short lived star with it's own orbiting wreckage.

Han barked out orders to the Wookie as the tall carpet man-dog roared and grabbed Leia on the way to the Quad-Laser Turrets. Punching several buttons that were flashing yellow, he shouted into the coms, "Y-Wings form up on me. We're going to punch through that fighter screen and disable the forward turbolasers on that star destroyer."

"Copy that. This is Yellow leader, we're right behind you!"

The YT-1300 Freighter flipped over a suddenly confused TIE Bomber as it was torn apart by an angry Raider, it's sliver-like body ripped the cockpit to pieces with KEW fire. Performing an Immelman, the Millennium Falcon's quads opened up, tearing the TIE squadron a new one as fighter after fighter attempted to peel away from their attack run. Y-Wings opened up with their own twin laser cannons. Aided by small Cylon Raiders, they scattered as the Star Destroyer began firing turbolasers at the fleeing cylon warships.

"Y-Wings, ion cannons!"

"Copy that," said yellow leader grimly, "Lets go Wishbones, light them up!"

Twelve of the Y-shaped fighters spat out a stream of bright blue lances. Shields on the forward tip of the imperial star destroyer rippled and died, additional ion blasts fried and quieted the turbolasers. Each of the fired a pair of glowing red torpedoes before peeling off and heading back. The Falcon covered their retreat with laser fire and a missile spread. Blinded and stunned, the heavy destroyer continued forward, though no longer firing. Sensors on the ship were destroyed, and the concussion missiles had destroyed their secondary ion cannons.

"Hey, farm boy, I bought us a few minutes. Got any ideas?"

"Yeah, hold the Millennium Falcon still won't you?"

The Wing-like Raider sped and stopped right above the freighter, easily spanning it's width before docking clamps crudely latched onto the upper armored deck.

Han winced at the screeching sounds of his ship's upper body being defaced, "Hey, watch it!"

"Now fire up your own docking clamps onto mine," said Luke exasperatedly. "Towing you won't work with these FTL Drives."

"What? You mean these Sylons don't use hyperdrives?" Replied the smuggler, "Done."

An audible clank shuddered throughout the ship. The Millennium Falcon, now looking like a brick than it's own glorious self shuddered as the haphazard attachments buckled.

"Yellow Leader," said Luke, "Pair up with a Raider, they'll latch onto you and they'll use their own drives to jump."

"Farmboy," growled Han with apprehension, "Hurry it up, we've got more TIEs coming in! And a sith-damned Super Star Destroyer!"

"Jump drive spinning up," spoke a Centurion calmly. It's single red eye swept the data before it, "Hybrid is now running calculations."

"Jump Coils at eighty-nine percent. Calculations at forty three and forty four are so beautiful. Betrayer of brothers and sisters, scarred by fire and naive love. Tylium reactor at full power, redlining," murmured the Hybrid softly, "Compensating with generators. Transmitting jump data Raiders. Round and round we go, flying in the sparkling city sky! End of line."

"Jump Drives are ready," said a Centurion to a gold plated Model 005.

"Jump."

"By your Command."

The small rebel fleet was surrounded. They deployed a gravity well generator, trapping them. Ties were reporting that the ships weren't attempting to escape. Star Destroyers had trained all guns on the ships. Lord Vader would be most pleased when they captured the ships and-

Multiple flashes of light played over the rebel craft.

Piet blinked and opened his mouth.

Nothing came out as he gawked at the sight of empty space where the rebels once were.

He felt a familiar harsh breathing behind him. Turning slowly, he saw his frightened and confused face reflected back at him on the Sith Lord's well polished helmet.

Vader was not happy.

And when he wasn't happy, people usually died. Usually by being choked to death by some unseen force, which more than often terrified the crew who witnessed the execution.

Add in the fact that the groundside assault had been botched by the fact that the rebels had a larger than expected force of what appeared to be battledroids and droid fighters. Numerous missiles frigates had also been seen to be launching from underneath the icy layers of Hoth, removing the opposition easily before disappearing from their sensors.

Throw in two star destroyers listing about, unable to prevent the rebels and their escorting droids from escaping. Then, right before their eyes, without even getting out of the planet's gravity well, they disappeared in a flash of white light that enveloped the ships. Dozens of flashes showed them that the fighters had disappeared as well. Officers and other crewmembers pursed their lips and tried not to look at the Dark Lord behind them as shivers ran up their spines. The entire fleet's personnel stiffened and felt the air grow cold despite the automated air compensator's attempt to restore temperatures to normal.

The cool air remained even as the cybernetic Lord left in a brisk walk out of the bridge of his flagship without a word.

The bridge crew let out a silent sigh of relief, pleasantly surprised that they were still amongst the living. Captain Piet crumpled to the floor, his legs giving out completely.

With silent rage, Darth Vader strode into his personal rooms and quickly removed his helmet. His pale scarred face was a grimace of pain and frustration. Quietly, he massaged his temples as a mighty headache assaulted his head. The rebels may have escaped the Empire this time, but in doing so they had lost more or less all their heavy equipment. It was a Pyrrhic victory for the Empire, but a decisive one. Vader growled as the headache stopped for a moment before renewing it's attack.

Those voices. They had come out of nowhere, a huge overlapping torrent of Force Echos and Voices. The thought of those voices clamoring gibberish and mutilated words seemed to magnify the headache into a full blown migraine. He tapped a comlink and spoke harshly into it, "I want those ships tracked. If I do not receive a report of all possible destinations they would have gone to, head will roll by tomorrow morning."

Oh yes. Heads were going to roll.
Sign up to rate and review this story