Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Immortal - Part I: Shadows of Guilt

Chapter 1 - Road to Nowhere

by Chunky 0 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Ginny - Warnings: [!!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2010-06-20 - Updated: 2010-06-20 - 2783 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer:I do not own Harry Potter or anything from the Universe created by J.K.R. I merely enjoy playing with her characters. I do not and will not make money with it for the simpel reason that I cannot afford to mess with J.K.R.'s lawyers.




Chapter 1 – Road to Nowhere




Ginny sat trembling and crying on her mothers lap in the headmaster's office and listened as Harry explained the events of the last hour. She did not really listen. She was just desparetly trying to find the comfort her mothers embrace usually gave her.




But there was none.




She did not understand how this could be. All year, she had just wished to be home again, be with her parents, and everything she had been through would prove to be a horrible nightmare.




But another part of her knew that it was only too real. The world had gone cold and cruel, the loving embrace of her mother nothing but ahollow gesture, the headmaster's soothing words about 'beeing tricked by Voldemort' meaningless. They didn't mean it. She knew that Harry was angry with her for getting him in so much trouble, the headmaster was worried about one thing or another and her mother was clearly in denial.




She sighed in disgust and tuned out the people around her and tried to just get away from it all. She knew that she was responsible, she and no one else, why wouldn't they just see it and send her home? She didn't want their pitty. She didn't need people who would just tip-toe around her for the rest of her life! She just wanted to be seen for who she was. But that would never happen. She was always the little one. Always the sweet little innocent princess everyone adored and she could never possibly be anything else. Why wouldn't they just shut up? They knew /nothing /about her. They didn't even /try /to understand. They just /knew/and that was it. Adults were so predictable./]




A wave of exhaustion overcame her. She wanted nothing more than to be home in her room and cry all day. 'What's the point of beeing here anyway?' she thought suddenly angry. Her brothers would just hate her even more than they already did, her parents would be dissapointed, the headmaster suspicious of her every move, the teachers and students wary of her presence.




She didn't understand why she had felt so oddly comforted by the words of this strange boy down in the chamber, when the comfort was just washed away the moment Harry took her hand and guided her out of the chamber. It was almost funny. The year before, she would have fainted at the very thought of him taking her hand. Now it was meaningless. He just did what he did because he was Harry 'Heroic' Potter. Beeing nice to the damsel in distress was practically part of the job! And Til! Of course he would be friendly. Couldn't have his secret out right? It meant nothing. Only an idiot would believe they actually cared about /her/, little Ginny Weasley.




'And only and idiot would have given in to Tom Riddle', added a sly voice in her mind and she slumped in her chair.




She shivered and tried to concentrate on her previous train of thoughts. The Chamber. Harry and Til. She clearly had imagined it. That was it. She imagined all that. She didnt really fight of Tom so she could heroically jump on her own back. Ah well. At least she /remembered/, she reminded herself sadly. At least she was free of that horrible diary. But she almost wished it wouldn't be gone. She missed Tom. He had always been a good friend to her. She hastily shook her head as if to shake that thought from her mind. He was a deceiving, lying, mindraping /bastard/!That and so much more. She /hated/him. But still missed him. Someone to talk to. To tell her secrets to. She wanted a friend.




There was another voice now, but she ignored it. She knew they had gently guided her to another place, but she didn't know where she was now and she didn't care. She just wished they all would just go /away/and leave her alone to think. She was tucked in a bed and finally the voices abated and left her room to think undisturbed. Why was it so important to talk? Why couldn't she just sort this out by herself?She didn't know the answer, but the questions kept racing each other in her mind. What if she could have ignored the diary? She remembered now that she was wary of it as Tom started to talk to her at first. But soon, her doubts had disapeared and she had wanted nothing more than to talk to him all day. Then, when the memory lapses began, she had wondered, asked Tom countless of questions about it, but hadn't gotten an answer. After she had opened the chamber, she had finally realized it was her who had set the monster free and she had talked to Tom again. She remembered that conversation. It was actually her last coherent memory before everything started to blur...




“[/Tom, I think I am the one that opened the Chamber... oh Tom what should I
do? I am so scared... I think I should tell Dumbledore... turn myself in, you kno-“




"Don't be silly, Ginny. What do you think they would do with you? You would be in Askaban before you could say 'Harry Potter'! Keep it to yourself, we will sort this out.“ Tom interrupted, hasty, she remembered. The normally neat script had been an untidy scrawl.




But... I have to! Tom, I couldhurtsomeone! What if I killsomeone? I have to tell them!“




"You can't! I forbid you!“




"Why?What is it to you?“




She remembered that this was the moment, when it had clicked in her mind. Everything had fallen into place.




It is you/./Youare making me do all this. Aren't you?“ she had written with ashaking hand. Instead of a written answer, a horrible, high pitched laughter had echoed through her head and something cold and silky wrapped itself around her mind. She had screamed and thrown the diary as far away from her as she could, but the intrusion had not stopped. The shadow had seeped into her mind, had broken through her resistance with cruel ease and revealed everything and anything, left nothing to herself and only HIMin her mind. And the last thing she had heard was Tom's silky, cold voice, speaking the words that would be burned into her mind from that moment until the day she died.




"You are mine now, Ginevra. Just lay down and let it happen. Nothing can safe you now!“




She shivered and curled into a ball and cried. She cried for everything that he had done to her, everything he had taken from her and everything she had done. She didn't know how long she cried, but it seemed like a long time before she was aware of the soft touch on her hand.




She was startled for a moment, but then she relaxed and let her tears flow again. It was oddly comforting, to know someone cared about her, without knowing who it was. She frowned and thought about that while she felt the misery leave her body along with her tears. Why was it comforting now? Why felt it /good/to be touched by a stranger, but not when her mother held her tight in her arms? It was just weird. She slowly opened her eyes and was surprised that the 'stranger' thing was spot on.




Next to her bed sat a small girl of maybe twelve years with almost waist-long black hair and very dark-blue eyes, a look of concern and exhaustion in her face. Her right hand rested on Ginny's hand and her fingertips moved in gentle circles over her skin. She smiled as her eyes met Ginny's and waved with her other hand.




"How are you Ginny?“ she asked quietly and leaned a bit forward. The moonlight that filtered into the dark infirmary and shone on the housecrest on the girl's chest. A silver snake, winding around asilver H on a green background. That girl was a Slytherin! Ginny jerked back and looked frantically around for her wand. The girl only smiled sadly and lifted a splintered piece of wood from her lap.

"Looking for this? It broke, remember?“ her smile was faint and her voice clearly sounded hurt as she tossed the broken hilt of Ginny's wand lightly on the bed. Ginny scooted slowly away from her and eyed the girl warily.




"What are you doing here?“ she demanded.




The girl sighed and folded her hands in her lap.

"What do you think I am doing here?“ she asked in a monotone, tired voice, devoid of the warmth it held earlier.




“How would I know! Who are you anyway? What were you doing to me?“ Ginny shouted. She was angry with herself mostly, for being so trusting again. Wasn't that what had brought her into this situation in the first place? She glared at the girl and tried to think of something to buy more time. Slytherins were always up to something. Tom had made that painfully clear. If she only knew what it was this time she could... do nothing. She hung her head in defeat. Her wand was broken, her arm heavily bandaged and her head and jaw still hurt from the impact of the boys fist in the chamber... the boy she had only imagined, she reminded herself fiercely.




The girl seemed to think about her question for a moment and looked intently at her. Finally she sighed and straighted in her chair.

"Fine. I'll go then. I just thought maybe you needed a little company. Obviously, I didn't think of the petty prejudices you Gryffindors sport for fun! But you are a Weasley through and through.“




She stooded and strode to the door, while Ginny stared at her incredulously.

"Prejudices?“ she shrieked and threw her pillow after her. "/You/talk about prejudices? You are a bloody /Slytherin/!“




Her anger boiled over now and redirected itself at the girl. How dare she say something like this? The Slytherins were always plotting something to harass the next best muggleborn and here she comes and talks about Gryffindor prejudices?The girl had stopped as the pillow bounced of her back and whirled gracefully around.




“I'm a muggleborn, /Weasley,/“ she spat. "How could I have prejudices like these jerks? I just wanted to help you, but /you/decided that, because I'm a Slytherin, I must be evil. You don't even/know /me and yet you hate me. Explain this to me, and I /might/be forced to take my words back.“ She crossed her arms over her chest and glared at Ginny angrily. Her dark-blue eyes flashed in the darkness of the ward and Ginny recoiled slightly. After a few moments she had to avert her face. The righteous anger behind these deep blue orbs was just too much for her.




Her accusation had hurt almost as much as the denial in her mothers eyes. Not even Draco Malfoy, Prince of Slytherin, managed to get through to her.

'Maybe because what Malfoy says isn't true?' the little voice she easily identified as her concience teased. Yeah, that's probably it, she admitted to herself. What the girl said was true. She had prejudices against Slytherins. But it was not like they didn't deserve it!Still, she felt guilty. This girl had sat with her out of concern, breaking the school rules just to offer a little comfort. She reluctantly looked up.

The girl still glared at her angrily and slightly narrowed her eyes for amoment when their eyes met again. Ginny swallowed and looked down again.

"I'm sorry.“ she managed to choke out quietly. „I.. shouldn't have snapped at you but...“ her voice trailed of and she shook her head. She didn't have the strength to fight now. She felt so hollow and fragile and terribly alone. She squinted her eyes shut as tears threatened to fall again and she pressed her hand against her temple.




"It's allright“, the Slytherin said in a soothing voice and returned to her chair at Ginny's bedsie. "I know you didn't mean it. I'm sorry I snapped at you too. I had a very long day. I guess I'm a bit riled up myself.“ she sighed and looked at her hands. „Look, I know this isn't easy for you Ginny. I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone. I understand what you are feeling.“




The Slytherin-girl smiled slightly at her and gently laid a hand on the younger girls arm. Ginny felt like crying again, but she was too confused to think about it. Just who /was/this girl? She voiced her question and the girl looked chargrined.




"I'm sorry, where are my manners ... I am Jenna Masterson. Nice to meet you.“ she answered a little insecure.




Ginny returned a teary smile. “Ginny Weasley.”




The girl flipped her long hair back over her shoulder and nodded sagely.“I know,” she grinned.




The last word echoed in Ginny's skull like bell.




... I know...

... understand what you are feeling...

... I know...

... know this isn't easy for you...

... I know...

... just wanted to help you...

... I know...

... thought you needed a little company...

...I know...




She vigorously shook her head and stared horrified at the still grinning girl. “W..what..? How mu-... how do you know me?” she stuttered out in a barely civil tone. Jenna seemed to pick up on it and sighed.




“I have my sources, just like every Slytherin. But I should go. You need rest. Good night, Ginny.” She stood and gave her a sad smile before quietly leaving the hospital wing.




'Great work, Ginny. The oneperson who thinks enough of you to keep you company and you scare her away.' the little Voice in her head taunted.




Suddenly she felt exhausted and weary. She buried her head in her arms and shut her eyes.




... you are mine...

... cant resist me forever...

... you are mine...

... eerie laughter, ecoing through her mind...




Her eyes flew wide open. It would be avery long night.




~~~~~~~




The first morning light found Ginny wide awake in her bed in the hospital wing, her eyes bloodshot and teary. She stared into nothing, rocking herself back and forth in her curled up position and quietly hummed alullaby her mother used to sing to her when she was sacred. She hadn't gotten a minute of sleep – Tom hadn't allowed her to sleep. Whenever her mind settled down, his words and laughter rang through her mind. So, Ginny tried desparetly to focus on something else, something /happy/, but nothing had come to mind and her tiredness didn't help a bit.




The door to the ward opened and Ginny heard light steps aproaching."Ginny?“ Jenna's tentative voice called into the ward. As she drew closer, Ginny heard her gasp in shock.

"Oh Ginny...“ she whispered, "what have you done to yourself...“




"Can't sleep... Tom 's here...“ came Ginny's hoarse answer as Jenna sat on the bed and took her hand.




"That's what I feared. An experience like this doesn't just disappear...“




The door to Madam Pomfrey's office opened and the school nurse bustled into the ward with a breakfast tray in her arms.




"There we go, Miss Weasley, break-“ she interrupted herself when she spotted Jenna at the bedside.




"Miss Masterson! WHAT do you think you are doing here? Miss Weasley needs rest and not pointless idle gossip! Now move!“




The nurse shoved Jenna briskly aside and ran her wand over Ginny. She frowned and repeated the process, then put her hands on her hips.




"Miss Weasley, what part of 'you need rest' didn't you understand?“




Ginny just whimpered and hugged her knees. The stern nurse' expression softened and she lightly touched her head.




"Did you sleep at all, Miss Weasley?" she asked softly while rearranging the twisted and sweat-soaked blankets. Ginny minutly shook her head and continued to hum. A heavy sigh Pomfrey grabbed avial with a thickish purple potion in it, pulled the stopper and placed it against Ginnys lips.

"And swallow!" she commanded sternly. Ginny complied without real thought towards it, just hoping all that noise would stop so she could concentrate on her song. Her thoughts turned sluggish quickly and her eyes fluttered close as she drifted of into a dreamless sleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story