Categories > Books > Phantom of the Opera > Phantom Drabbles

Someone's Mother

by tragedy 0 reviews

The reflections of a mother

Category: Phantom of the Opera - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Erik, Other - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2006-04-27 - Updated: 2006-04-27 - 513 words

0Unrated
I never asked to be anyone's mother. Indeed I was bit young for it. Still, I cradled his sleeping form in my small lap, heedless of any consequences. No, I had not asked for this, but in a moment it had been thrust upon me, a sacred duty I could not refuse.
It was a heavy burden for a girl of fourteen to bear, but I found in time that it was also a joy. I learned to love him as his mother never could. The years past, and a distance grew between us, I found my boy drawing away from me, becoming quite strange.
Finally, I gave birth to a child of my own, a daughter, he would hardly speak to me then. I was still his mother though, whether he liked it or not, and I continued to watch over him.
Then she came along and he found a distraction other than scaring the wits out of simple-minded ballet girls. Unfortunately, distraction became something more. As his mother, I counseled against it. Was she not also a child to me? Did I not know her well enough to know she was not ready for this? Rien! I felt like everybody's mother at that moment.
I aided him in all his madness, trying to dissuade managers, viscounts, and prima donnas from their course. My boy was beyond my reach now. I must be a proper mother and allow him to face his destiny. My heart sunk when he chose flight and fire. Knowing things would never be properly resolved if it ended this way, I led the Viscount to fate's door, and left him there. He was not mine to worry about.
Like a good mother, I awaited him in the chamber beyond his home. He was my boy again as he crashed through the mirror and buried his sobbing head in my lap. She had left as I knew she would, and I knew she would come to regret it. A mother knows her children.
I never asked to be Erik's mother, but I filled the role as best I could. I am still his mother to this day. He brings me a rose today, and news of my little Meg, I am a grandmother again. Mon Dieu, that would be the forth. I am failing now; he holds my hand, comforting me. My boy, I am glad he is here.
"Take care of Meg for me." I whisper.
"I do mama, you know that." I glance at the ring on his finger, the match to the one he gave her years ago. She is not Christine, but she loves him well. My heart sunk when they first told me, but as a mother, I could not deny them their happiness, so long waited for.
"Mother." His voice is quiet. "Thank you for teaching me to love, thank you for giving her to me." She was in the end, the only thing I could give him that brought him happiness.
"What are mothers for?" I smile at him, my dear boy.
Sign up to rate and review this story